Another Lead Level Thread [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another Lead Level Thread

Zombie Steve
12-12-2012, 12:33
6 months ago, I was 22 (which wasn't the end of the world... about half of what would be considered toxic by OSHA standards). I've kept on casting trying to be more careful. I gave 2 pints of blood, although the last time was a week ago, and they tell me it takes 2 months to rebuild and mature the cells.

Verdict today was 16 μg/dL. :cool:

I will say that this time when I went in to take blood, they asked if I'd had seafood or an antacid in the last 3 days. I said I had and nobody had ever mentioned it before. I waited 3 days and went in again. Wonder if that screwed up my old test. :dunno:

Anyway, if you're worried about your levels and are able to give blood, go get your oil changed. :supergrin: It apparently helps.

Colorado4Wheel
12-12-2012, 12:50
I thought your plan was to thin it down with Alcohol?

Zombie Steve
12-12-2012, 12:55
I can have more than one plan. :whistling:

Colorado4Wheel
12-12-2012, 12:58
I chilled a bunch of Home Brew for today.

Glad your numbers are down. I figured you would be. Downside is now you have no excuse for acting crazy. I used to tell everyone at the bar

"Don't Judge, he has Lead Positioning, He can't help it."

I still got the bonus points for taking care of a disabled person.

Zombie Steve
12-12-2012, 13:06
Well, I could always get that eye patch I've been wanting. Bad news is I did get turned down for that mobility scooter assistance I applied for. That would have been a cool combo.

fredj338
12-12-2012, 14:24
Shooting & Casting lead bullets hasn't elevated my blood levels over the years. Shooting indoors certainly does though. So I limit indoor shooting to 1-2x a year.
Hygene & diet play a large role. Wash your hands & face after shooting &/or casting. Eat food slike grapefruit & high fiber foods to help remove things from yout system. Then some people are just more susceptible to anything introduced into their system.

Kentguy
12-12-2012, 14:38
My wife is a bit of a health nut and she told me that "Brewer's yeast 500 and Apple Pectin both remove heavy metals from your blood/body and taken together are more effective than if taken separately.

I don't cast lead (yet) but I do reload and shoot my fair share of it. Like yourself Fred, I do limit my indoor lead shooting, most of my range time is outdoors.

I did have my levels checked 4 months ago and it was only "9". :thumbsup: I do try to observe the safety - preventive stuff as best that I can.

Zombie Steve
12-12-2012, 15:34
This is mainly about me not being so sloppy and eating / drinking / putting in a gigantic chaw of Copenhagen while doing extended casting sessions with the Yeti. I think just being more diligent about washing up will help a ton.

Zombie Steve
12-12-2012, 16:28
http://ecohistorical.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/lead-paint-chip-yummy.jpg?w=500&h=413

fredj338
12-12-2012, 16:30
My wife is a bit of a health nut and she told me that "Brewer's yeast 500 and Apple Pectin both remove heavy metals from your blood/body and taken together are more effective than if taken separately.

I don't cast lead (yet) but I do reload and shoot my fair share of it. Like yourself Fred, I do limit my indoor lead shooting, most of my range time is outdoors.

I did have my levels checked 4 months ago and it was only "9". :thumbsup: I do try to observe the safety - preventive stuff as best that I can.
Supposedly grapefurit pectin does sim things. So eating healthy, washing up, nos smoking or eating while casting or even shooting. Hand to mouth trasnfer is worse than breathing fired stuff indoorsm but not much.

sellersm
12-12-2012, 17:36
I used to tell everyone at the bar
"Don't Judge, he has Lead Positioning, He can't help it."

Now that's a new diagnosis! :tongueout:

Zombie, you were turned down for that scooter cuz they thought your "position" was already horizontal! :supergrin:

Stay healthy everyone!!

DoctaGlockta
12-12-2012, 19:38
How many pints needed for a 45 acp 230 grain LRN at those levels?

CRB minds want to know.

WiskyT
12-12-2012, 20:02
Shooting & Casting lead bullets hasn't elevated my blood levels over the years. Shooting indoors certainly does though. So I limit indoor shooting to 1-2x a year.
Hygene & diet play a large role. Wash your hands & face after shooting &/or casting. Eat food slike grapefruit & high fiber foods to help remove things from yout system. Then some people are just more susceptible to anything introduced into their system.

I think you lost him at "hygiene".

m2hmghb
12-12-2012, 21:54
I had lead poisoning about 15 years ago. Apparently due to my illnesses my body doesn't remove heavy metals like it should, I was on oral chelation therapy which did a good job of removing it. I think it was also because of where I was casting, it was behind the house so the wind would hit the valley and go over it instead of carrying the fumes away, as well as the open tumbler. Since then my lead levels have remained normal. Oral chelation isn't fun, but it's not the end of the world.

Zombie Steve
12-12-2012, 23:47
How many pints needed for a 45 acp 230 grain LRN at those levels?

CRB minds want to know.

I axed about this in the last lead level thread. Not only is the idea of getting it out and collecting it tough, but if all the lead in my blood came out it wouldn't make a tenth of a 9mm. To top it all off, I don't shoot 9mm.

I'll keep pondering this, as I'd really like to shoot a bullet that's been through my blood stream.

jmorris
12-13-2012, 07:47
6 months ago, I was 22 (which wasn't the end of the world.

What I would give to be 22 again...

Years ago when my lead level was high, I just quit shooting at indoor ranges and kept everything else stayed the same. Year later everything was fine.

Zombie Steve
12-13-2012, 09:33
What I would give to be 22 again...

Years ago when my lead level was high, I just quit shooting at indoor ranges and kept everything else stayed the same. Year later everything was fine.

Worded that a little funny... Six months ago, my lead level was 22 (I was 40 years old).

jmorris
12-13-2012, 15:37
I know but Jacks not here to give you a hard time.

Zombie Steve
12-13-2012, 15:54
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x214/sbecht/Jack.jpg

garander
12-13-2012, 16:59
Wow fred! Only one or two indoor sessions a year. I hit the indoor range twice a month but i get out after 20 minutes and only shoot 50 rounds. I wash hands and face at the range. Do you guys think this is too much?

labdwakin
12-13-2012, 17:21
Just have it checked, Garander. If your lead level is too high... then it's too much :) LOL

garander
12-13-2012, 17:27
Just have it checked, Garander. If your lead level is too high... then it's too much :) LOL

I knew someone would say that! :cool:

EL_NinO619
12-13-2012, 21:46
Indoor ranges SUCK!! I know a guy who goes 3 times a week religiously. I tell him he needs to get his levels checked and he laughs. He may not be laughing if he ever does get it checked. Anyone one got a scary picture of lead poisoning, besides Nancy Pelosi, Jack. Maybe that would help him wake up.

fredj338
12-14-2012, 01:58
I had lead poisoning about 15 years ago. Apparently due to my illnesses my body doesn't remove heavy metals like it should, I was on oral chelation therapy which did a good job of removing it. I think it was also because of where I was casting, it was behind the house so the wind would hit the valley and go over it instead of carrying the fumes away, as well as the open tumbler. Since then my lead levels have remained normal. Oral chelation isn't fun, but it's not the end of the world.

Your open tumbler was more of an issue than the casting. Lead styphinates from the inside of the fired cases gets pulled into the fine media dust & it's quite toxic. Put a closed lid on the tumbler & move it into the garage.
SHooting indoors will vary with the air system in the place, but it's really bad for you. I would rather drive 6hr to shoot outdoors than 1hr to shoot indoors, but that is just me.:dunno:

fredj338
12-14-2012, 02:00
Indoor ranges SUCK!! I know a guy who goes 3 times a week religiously. I tell him he needs to get his levels checked and he laughs. He may not be laughing if he ever does get it checked. Anyone one got a scary picture of lead poisoning, besides Nancy Pelosi, Jack. Maybe that would help him wake up.
IDPA match in ChinoHills sat, you & Chris should come up? Bring 150rds, 3 mags, holster & mag carrier. Sign ups @ 8:15, first shots @ 9, done by 1pm +/- usually.:wavey:

ron59
12-14-2012, 09:11
I belonged to an indoor range for 3.5 years.... shot at least once a week and sometimes twice. Had my lead levels checked in May and I was at 38 !!!

I've since moved, and now belong to an outdoor range. I did have a follow up exam scheduled but as I moved (old place is 60 miles away) canceled that appointment and haven't made a new one for where I am now.

Will do that next spring, am hoping to see it under 20?

WiskyT
12-14-2012, 17:55
I shoot at least once a week at an indoor range and have for years. I cast my own bullets too. My lead was 7 both times I've had it checked.

fredj338
12-14-2012, 19:07
I shoot at least once a week at an indoor range and have for years. I cast my own bullets too. My lead was 7 both times I've had it checked.

Then you are one of the rare anomolies. Like the guy that smokes 2 packs a day & never gets cancer or heart disease. It is not the norm & shooters should understand that & protect themselves accordingly. Shooting indoors is hazardous & one should limit their exposure, even you WT.:wavey:

Zombie Steve
12-14-2012, 19:28

Try harder.

WiskyT
12-14-2012, 19:30
Try harder.

I'm going to clean the primer residue out of my spent primer can and season my dip with it. It probably won't raise my lead levels, but it will drive Fred crazy.

Zombie Steve
12-14-2012, 21:35
:fred: