Advise: Rails on standard carbine handguards [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Advise: Rails on standard carbine handguards

triehl27
12-12-2012, 15:24
I borrowed my brother's account as my phone won't let me get one myself.

I recently inherited his Bushmaster AR15 from when he worked maritime security after the Cole was bombed.

Long story short, he has it set up with standard Bushmaster M4 handguards but with a full length rail on the bottom screwed to the hand guard and a CAA tri rail screwed to the top. He said he outfitted it this way to keep weight down for packing it up and down in the navy vessels, since quad rails added quite alot back then. I know that it is very accurate as it stands all it has shot in the past 7 years or so is varmints out to 200yds or so.

I want a Vert handgrip, bi-pod and light on it. Is there any issue with just leaving it as is and adding those? I think he had a light on the top tri rail, and a bi pod on the bottom when it was his duty rifle.

With the proliferation of the quad rail, is there any major issues I should be aware of as it is set up that I would NEED a quad rail for? Thanks.

cowboy1964
12-12-2012, 15:58
I don't understand the quad rail madness. Heavy and unless you want to use VFG you need to put covers on it, so what's the point?

expatman
12-12-2012, 16:04
I don't understand the quad rail madness. Heavy and unless you want to use VFG you need to put covers on it, so what's the point?

What are these covers you speak of?

I run rails and love it. They give me incredible versatility. I admit though that I don't change things around much once I got things arranged. I don't find them overly heavy or obtrusive. I just think some people are picky. (not you, general statement)

Matthew Courtney
12-12-2012, 16:34
People who work with their hands usually have few issues with quad rails and several current production rails are quite light. A bipod is useful if you will be shooting prone, but vertical handgrips are little more than crutches for poor shooting techniques. Small lights are not a bad idea unless your weapon light becomes a substitute for your primary carry light.

expatman
12-12-2012, 17:08
Vertical and angled grips are much more than mere crutches. They offer a wider variety of grip possibilities for the shooter. Techniques come and go and none are really right or wrong, just good or bad for the individual using the technique.

mjkeat
12-12-2012, 18:21
I don't particularly like VFGs but have used them a lot. When active I used the KAC "gangsta grip" to wedge into my nut sack pouch while on patrol. I've also used it to wedge up against cover/concealment for a sturdier platform to shoot from.

Other than that VFGs make good handstops. Gripping one like a can of soda isn't always a good idea.

I have 1 AR with a quad rail and the rest have tubes like the Troy Alpha, MOEs, or your OE plastic HGs. I prefer tubes.

Before you start purchasing things ask yourself why, what do you think these parts will bring to the table.