Lie of the Year: the Romney campaign's ad on Jeeps made in China [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lie of the Year: the Romney campaign's ad on Jeeps made in China

Flintlocker
12-12-2012, 14:49
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2012/dec/12/lie-year-2012-Romney-Jeeps-China/

It was a lie told in the critical state of Ohio in the final days of a close campaign -- that Jeep was moving its U.S. production to China. It originated with a conservative blogger, who twisted an accurate news story into a falsehood. Then it picked up steam when the Drudge Report ran with it. Even though Jeep's parent company gave a quick and clear denial, Mitt Romney repeated it and his campaign turned it into a TV ad.

And they stood by the claim, even as the media and the public expressed collective outrage against something so obviously false.

Amusingly, Romney's other big downfall, his 47% comments, were a distortion from Erik Erickson that was also picked up by Drudge. When will you people figure out that the right wing noise machine actually harms your own interests?

evlbruce
12-12-2012, 15:01
The lie of 2013 will be "I [Barack Obama] do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.""

TK-421
12-12-2012, 15:07
And that's why Romney wouldn't get elected, even if they didn't have Obama running against him. Basically, he tells one thing to group A, tells the opposite thing to Group B, and then tells something totally different to Group C, while vehemently denying he said anything to Groups A or B.

When you can't even keep your own story straight when you're just running for the office, how can we expect you to keep your story straight when you're actually in the office?

The republicans didn't lose because of changing cultures or changing voter demographics, or anything like that. They lost because they nominated a moron.

series1811
12-12-2012, 15:38
The lie of 2013 will be "I [Barack Obama] do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.""

Yeah, that's the real lie of the year.

When you get elected to President by just telling people what they want to hear, you are the best liar by far.

What logical boss would hire a guy for another four years, who hadn't accomplished anything in four years, and said it was all the fault of the employee before him, and that he only needed four more years to actually get something done?

Fifty one per cent of the American voters, that's who.

snerd
12-12-2012, 15:56
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1457301

LASTRESORT20
12-12-2012, 15:58

Absolutely!

LASTRESORT20
12-12-2012, 15:59
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2012/dec/12/lie-year-2012-Romney-Jeeps-China/

Amusingly, Romney's other big downfall, his 47% comments, were a distortion from Erik Erickson that was also picked up by Drudge. When will you people figure out that the right wing noise machine actually harms your own interests?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_VAx3v2_5J_o/TFSv3l-uxRI/AAAAAAAAAJ4/AbJUN4JnE8w/s1600/tpsreports.jpg

You can relax with the propaganda...The election is over...

Cavalry Doc
12-12-2012, 16:05

And the left wing noise machine is harmless??

Get a grip.

Kablam
12-12-2012, 16:25
One of the greats was accusing Romney of being responsible for some woman's death years after her husband was laid off from a company shut down by Bain Capital. Or the one ion 2008 where some candidate said that he would end the wars and reduce the deficit.

concretefuzzynuts
12-12-2012, 16:37
Psssst, the election is over.

aircarver
12-12-2012, 16:44
Psssst, the election is over.
He got a QE- whatever 'stimulus' paycheck and went back to work ... :upeyes:

Angry Fist
12-12-2012, 16:44
So it's OK for me to burn a Jeep fulla Chinese Korans?

cowboy1964
12-12-2012, 19:21
The 47% remark was right on. But yeah, stupid of Romney to tell the truth if he really wanted to be Prez.

Jonesee
12-12-2012, 20:32
And that's why Romney wouldn't get elected, even if they didn't have Obama running against him. Basically, he tells one thing to group A, tells the opposite thing to Group B, and then tells something totally different to Group C, while vehemently denying he said anything to Groups A or B.

When you can't even keep your own story straight when you're just running for the office, how can we expect you to keep your story straight when you're actually in the office?

The republicans didn't lose because of changing cultures or changing voter demographics, or anything like that. They lost because they nominated a moron.

"Etch-a-Sketch" baby...
His own top advisor coined the term. What an abortion of a candidate and campaign.

snerd
12-12-2012, 23:17
.......... What an abortion of a candidate and campaign.
Good, but not EPIC fail like McCain's crash & burn.

Lowjiber
12-13-2012, 05:59

Amen!

Romney was such a liar that his entire campaign should have been on the "Lie of The Year" list.

johnd
12-13-2012, 06:18
Meh, they all lie, all the time, about everything. Why is this news?

engineer151515
12-13-2012, 06:26

When will you people figure out that 10 TRILLION DOLLARS of additional national debt harms yours?

aircarver
12-13-2012, 06:30
When will you people figure out that 10 TRILLION DOLLARS of additional national debt harms yours?

They can't count that high, or do math, so ... no problem !
:upeyes:

series1811
12-13-2012, 07:23

Obama voters don't have enough fingers and toes to count to a trillion.

evlbruce
12-13-2012, 07:27

He's getting his right now. **** the future and **** posterity.

Good, but not EPIC fail like McCain's crash & burn.

Actually I think that juxtaposed McCain would have beaten President 0. Willard was just that a terrible candidate, an unlikable looser who lost to McCain.

Baba Louie
12-13-2012, 07:37
Romney shoulda run his campaign on "Hope 4 Change" and nothing else at all. Period. (probably trademarked tho)

It seems to have worked at least once.

Let's see how soon Fiat/Chrysler actually moves or builds a few factories making Jeeps into China, now that the campaign heat is over. No one in the media will notice or care... besides Fox. You and I know it will be cheaper to make them there and transport them here for sale than it is to make them here for sale and transport a few of them there.

More than likely the entire conglomerate will be sold to a Chinese buyer...

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/blog/eyeonasia/archives/2009/10/gms_iconic_humm.html

The Dragon is the cheap labor pool of the world, which means higher profits for those in charge.

Or, perhaps once the US economy & work force back is broken and we'll gladly work for pennies, it may be that the Chinese owners of everything in the world will allow our fine citizens a glorious chance to build "Their" products?

series1811
12-13-2012, 08:01
Go to the Politifacts website, read their take on a lot of statements by Obama, and this "Lie of the Year" pronouncement of theirs will be put into its proper perspective.

GAFinch
12-13-2012, 08:43
POLITIFACT CALLS FACTUALLY ACCURATE ROMNEY JEEP AD 'LIE OF THE YEAR'

On Wednesday, self-described "objective" fact-checking organization Politifact announced that its 2012 "Lie of the Year" was a factually accurate Romney campaign commercial that accused President Barack Obama of taking Chrysler into bankruptcy and selling it to Italians "who are going to build Jeeps in China."
After the ad aired during the last week of October in Ohio, liberal publications like Mother Jones acknowledged that every word of the ad was "true." So did mainstream media outlets like the Christian Science Monitor.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/12/12/Politifact-Awards-Lie-Of-The-Year-To-Factually-Correct-Romney-Campaign-Jeep-Ad

PocketProtector
12-13-2012, 09:16
POLITIFACT CALLS FACTUALLY ACCURATE ROMNEY JEEP AD 'LIE OF THE YEAR'

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/12/12/Politifact-Awards-Lie-Of-The-Year-To-Factually-Correct-Romney-Campaign-Jeep-Ad

Funny how that was missed.....huh

Gunhaver
12-13-2012, 10:30
I had the decision process streamlined for me. I simply looked at the ballot and thought to myself, "One of these men honestly believes his underwear to possess magical powers and the other does not."

Because really, you have to weed those kinds of people out first and foremost. If all that's left is Obama then so be it.

engineer151515
12-13-2012, 11:49
Go to the Politifacts website, read their take on a lot of statements by Obama, and this "Lie of the Year" pronouncement of theirs will be put into its proper perspective.

I would think the campaign promise to half the nation's deficit, followed by 4 years of politically unsupported and Congressional unapproved budgets, would take the "lie of the year" award at least 4 times in light of the TREMENDOUS amounts added to the deficit.

Berto
12-13-2012, 11:52
In politics, it's quantity over quality, when it comes to lying.
It's not something to brag about, FL.

Baba Louie
12-13-2012, 11:55
...thought to myself, "One of these men honestly believes his underwear to possess magical powers and the other does not." There it is. Pretty simple. Worn as a reminder of the promise made to be honest and faithful to the Commandments of the Lord... agree with the concept... or not.

Which does sum up a lot of the past election issues... for some. Not so much for others. Milt probably looks just as funny putting them on as I or the Big O do donning the old fruit o' the loom.

Moot point now. That election is over and gone. Other fish to fry. Other lies to believe. Like the fiscal cliff. More of a steep slope downhill for some, while others watch the water run uphill. It's all Bush's fault anyway. Or maybe Abe Lincolns. :dunno:

Power brokers still lust for more power. Big fish still eat little fish. Liars still get elected... altho half still lose.

China gets bigger and the single political party system is made to work as opponents seem to either die or go to prison. We're almost there. We just marginalize opponents and laugh at their "foibles". For now.

So does China actually MAKE the Hummer there? And does that make a single bit of difference to anyone who owns one? I gotta use my google-fu to find out as I thought they were defunct, formerly made in the good old US of A but maybe that just Uncle Sams Hummers made by AM General. Dunno.

series1811
12-13-2012, 14:21
I had the decision process streamlined for me. I simply looked at the ballot and thought to myself, "One of these men has supporters who honestly believes him to possess magical powers and the other does not."

Because really, you have to weed those kinds of people out first and foremost. If not, all that's left is someone like Obama elected as President.

There, made it make more sense.

muscogee
12-13-2012, 15:11
The 47% remark was right on. But yeah, stupid of Romney to tell the truth if he really wanted to be Prez.

That attitude is why your team will continue to loose. That 47% has relatives who don't want them thrown out on the street so the Mitt Romneys of the world can have another vacation house.

brickboy240
12-13-2012, 15:18
47% of wage earners pay no income taxes.

Romney told the truth.

Big media and the left don't like the truth about taxation getting out.

THAT is what happened.

-brickboy240

engineer151515
12-13-2012, 15:21
That attitude is why your team will continue to loose. That 47% has relatives who don't want them thrown out on the street so the Mitt Romneys of the world can have another vacation house.

New vacation homes create jobs.

Increased tax revenue for social programs.

muscogee
12-13-2012, 15:24
47% of wage earners pay no income taxes.

Romney told the truth.

Big media and the left don't like the truth about taxation getting out.

THAT is what happened.

-brickboy240

So repeal the Bush tax cuts. That's what caused this.

jakebrake
12-13-2012, 15:24

and the rest of us are tired of paying for them to have 13 illegit kids with 17 guys.

muscogee
12-13-2012, 15:25
New vacation homes create jobs.

So does government spending for infrastructure and everyone benefits from that.

engineer151515
12-13-2012, 15:25

Obama tax cuts.

He renewed them when they originally expired.

engineer151515
12-13-2012, 15:26
So does government spending for infrastructure and everyone benefits from that.

Government will have even more to spend on infrastructure for taxes accrued building vacation homes!! Woo hoo!

Your method borrows more money driving the debt ever higher and higher and higher and higher.

jakebrake
12-13-2012, 15:26

couldn't have been the affordable housing act/collapse....nooooo....

muscogee
12-13-2012, 15:28
and the rest of us are tired of paying for them to have 13 illegit kids with 17 guys.

I'm tired of paying over twice as high a percentage in taxes as the super rich. BTW, welfare doesn't pay for 13 illegit kids from the same mother but keep taking cheap shots at an easy target.

jakebrake
12-13-2012, 15:28

you mean, the "current tax rates" that will cause hellfire and damnation if they expire....ACCORDING TO YOUR SIDE?

nice try

muscogee
12-13-2012, 15:29
couldn't have been the affordable housing act/collapse....nooooo....

That is why 47% pay no taxes? How so?

jakebrake
12-13-2012, 15:30
I'm tired of paying over twice as high a percentage in taxes as the super rich. BTW, welfare doesn't pay for 13 illegit kids from the same mother but keep taking cheap shots at an easy target.

you have just given proof positive that you are talking crap.

and, doesn't it? wanna bet? try stepping out of the community college, and into the mental health field before you try that one.

cheap shots at an easy target.....:upeyes:

muscogee
12-13-2012, 15:31
you mean, the "current tax rates" that will cause hellfire and damnation if they expire....ACCORDING TO YOUR SIDE?

nice try

I don't have a side. A pox on both parties. A plague on the Tea Party.

jakebrake
12-13-2012, 15:33
That is why 47% pay no taxes? How so?

you stated the current tax rates caused it, oh professor....not the housing collapse,or spending, but the current tax rates.

please, enlighten us non-professors, how this can be the case.

and btw....when you live off the public teat (welfare, s.s.i, uec, etc,) you don't tend to pay taxes....somehow, you do seem to get from the .gov... you just don't have to pay into the .gov like the rest of us.

muscogee
12-13-2012, 15:34
and, doesn't it? wanna bet? try stepping out of the community college, and into the mental health field before you try that one.
that explains you attitude. You don't want your gravy train derailed. Get ready for it. It's gonna happen.

jakebrake
12-13-2012, 15:35
I don't have a side. A pox on both parties. A plague on the Tea Party.

you read it here, folks. he doesn't have a side

jakebrake
12-13-2012, 15:36
that explains you attitude. You don't want your gravy train derailed. Get ready for it. It's gonna happen.

my gravy train...says the alleged teacher's union member.

too bad it's not how i make my living, so, swing and a miss.

muscogee
12-13-2012, 15:40
you stated the current tax rates caused it, oh professor....not the housing collapse,or spending, but the current tax rates.

please, enlighten us non-professors, how this can be the case.

and btw....when you live off the public teat (welfare, s.s.i, uec, etc,) you don't tend to pay taxes....somehow, you do seem to get from the .gov... you just don't have to pay into the .gov like the rest of us.

Clinton raised taxes on everyone making over $24,000 per year to pay down the Reagan/Bush deficit. Baby Bush cut taxes and let the Republicans run wild spending borrowed money. That's what crashed the economy. Now all the Republicans have to offer is more of the same and some of you still believe them. :faint:

Kablam
12-13-2012, 15:41
"you read it here, folks. he doesn't have a side"

...or a logical bone in it's body.

jakebrake
12-13-2012, 15:42
Clinton raised taxes on everyone making over $24,000 per year to pay down the Reagan/Bush deficit. Baby Bush cut taxes and let the Republicans run wild spending borrowed money. That's what crashed the economy. Now all the Republicans have to offer is more of the same and some of you still believe them. :faint:
obviously, you didn't teach history. and, seems math isn't your strong suit.

french literature maybe?

muscogee
my gravy train...says the alleged teacher's union member.

That's ignorant and a lie. What union was I in?

muscogee
obviously, you didn't teach history.

I lived it.

jakebrake
12-13-2012, 15:44
That's ignorant and a lie. What union was I in?

i'm sorry, were't you the professor?

muscogee
12-13-2012, 15:55
i'm sorry, were't you the professor?

Stop dodging. What union was I in?

jakebrake
12-13-2012, 16:06
Stop dodging. What union was I in?

according to you, teacher's.

hence your alleged pension? you forget that post?

muscogee
12-13-2012, 16:19
according to you, teacher's.

hence your alleged pension? you forget that post?

Like I said. That's ignorant and a lie. Professors don't have unions. They hack it or pack it. Most most states' teachers' unions are impotent.

jakebrake
12-13-2012, 16:24
Like I said. That's ignorant and a lie. Professors don't have unions. They hack it or pack it. Most most states' teachers' unions are impotent.

so, when you were boasting about the pension the union got you, that was a lie?

muscogee
12-13-2012, 17:52
so, when you were boasting about the pension the union got you, that was a lie?

What are you talking about?