Mutt or Colt? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mutt or Colt?

venenoindy
12-13-2012, 15:05
Some time ago I pick up a DD mod1 upper because I wanted a service grade rifle but unfortunately like we all know DD no longer sales lowers any more, I did completed the rifle with a S&W complete lower but when I finally put them together I realize that this set up is a lot heavier than I wanted. I'm thinking of selling it and getting a complete rifle, only based on reliability and quality the options are keeping my rifle or to get a Colt 6920 MOE (lighter rifle) what would be the smart thing to do?

faawrenchbndr
12-13-2012, 15:18
It's darn hard to beat a 6920.
However, I would suggest selling the upper & get a light weight
upper.

K. Foster
12-13-2012, 16:09
The cheaper choice would be selling your upper and buying one you want. But, you wouldn’t go wrong with a complete Colt.

WayaX
12-13-2012, 17:48
Honestly...go to the gym. I can't think of anything that DD makes that qualifies as "heavy".

boomhower
12-13-2012, 18:08
What you have is just as reliable as a Colt. All of your reliability is in the upper assuming a moron didn't assemble the lower. A DD is just as good as the Colt.

Honestly...go to the gym. I can't think of anything that DD makes that qualifies as "heavy".

I'm inclined to agree. You could go with a LW barrel and that would make it feel lighter as it takes weight of the end of the barrel. An MOE Colt will likely be a touch lighter than the DD you have but if you expect something significant your likely be disappointed. Head to a shop and fondle a Colt regular or MOE as they are going to be very very similar. Even Walmart regularly stocks the Colts now so it shouldn't be hard to do.

Big Bird
12-13-2012, 19:23
I own 5 AR's right now in various configurations and in two different calibers. Not one is a Colt. In the last 30 years I've owned three Colt rifles and have sold all three for various reasons. I don't miss any of them or regret selling them--not even a little.

Its not that they are a bad rifle--they are a very good rifle. But they don't come configured the way I want an AR, they are expensive, and I have the tools and experience to build as good a rifle to my own specs. I built all 5 of my guns from parts. I actually do not own a factory built gun.

If Colt is just a scratch that you have to itch then by all means buy the Colt. I've been there and done that a couple of times. But I no longer have that little voice in my head saying "maybe you should buy a Colt." Unfortunately now its saying crap like maybe you need to buy that Krieghoff double rifle in .470 Nitro express, or maybe you need to buy that Blaser F3 Sporting Clays O/U...

Crap...I'm so screwed.

mjkeat
12-14-2012, 09:30
Lighter is better, I don't care how strong you are.

I wouldn't consider $1055 for a complete AR from a very consistent manufacturer expensive.

You're DD is a very nice AR. If you want lighter and Colt look at a 6720.

mgs
12-14-2012, 09:47
I own 6 AR's in different forms and two are Colts. They are no better than my other 4 which are better machined/finished lowers. You just have to build them with the right parts. The upper is the most critical for accuracy & reliability.

WayaX
12-14-2012, 11:39
Lighter is better, I don't care how strong you are.

I wouldn't consider $1055 for a complete AR from a very consistent manufacturer expensive.

You're DD is a very nice AR. If you want lighter and Colt look at a 6720.

Lighter is better, but if you're having trouble any basic rifle, A new rifle isn't going to solve your problems. Also, the 6920 MOE that the OP wants isn't the lighest configuration available. The 6720 is a much better choice, but you'd lose money in the swap, and not gain a lot.