Glock factory steel rear sight? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock factory steel rear sight?

breacher1
12-13-2012, 14:08
does anyone know if the factory steel rear sight has a painted on "white bucket"? Can it be easily removed with paint remover or even chipped or scratched off?

My new/used G35 came with a Dawson F/O front and Glock adjustable rear which I don't like and removed. By carefully measuring the rear adjustable at full max height I figured I needed a rear that is about .300 high. Ameriglo used to sell a plain black steel sight that size but it's been outta stock forever.

The plastic Glock 7.3mm (tallest one) works out to about .293" so I tried that flipped around backwards (white bucket forward) POI is fine. They sell the same height sight in steel but due to its rear offset you can't flip it around. I'd like to order one but I find the white bucket distracting.

Has anyone been able to remove the white paint w/o wrecking the sight picture?

LampShadeActual
12-13-2012, 14:15
Glock steel sights have the same plastic insert U box as the plastic ones.

You are confused on sight heights.

A Glock adjustable has for positions, bottom to top, corresponding to the four Glock pistol plastic or steel sight hieghts.

They are marked:
(--) with a (-) under it for lowest
(--) for normal
(--) with a (-) over it for high normal
(--) with a (--) over it for highest

IF you had a Glock steel front sight or plastic, the (--) would 99.9% be the right one. With the other sight, match the rear adjustable sight.
If the highest, forth position works, get the (--) over a (--)

breacher1
12-13-2012, 15:01
I don't know about all the morse code dashes on top & bottom. Sounds confusing. I got all my info here:
http://eu.glock.com/english/options_rearsight.htm

after looking at it again I saw that the steel sight white bucket is actually an insert and not just painted on.

all I know is I need a plain black rear that is .290 to .300 high and my G35 will hit exactly where I point it with the Dawson f/o front sight that is currently on it

ChicagoZman
12-13-2012, 17:56
If worse comes to worse you could get the 7.3mm steel rear Glock sight for $13, polish off the rear finish and touch it up with a blue pen. Not perfect but would probably work.

breacher1
12-13-2012, 18:27
I dunno. That white "bucket" is not just painted on. It's actually some sort of insert. If i managed to dig or pop it out it might leave a bucket shaped groove around the rear notch. Not sure if that would be distracting or not.

gocubs6
12-13-2012, 18:56
Why don't you just flip it around?

GaryC
12-13-2012, 19:00
Why don't you just flip it around?

+1 Some folks who want a plain black rear sight do this with the factory polymer sights.

breacher1
12-13-2012, 22:14
+1 Some folks who want a plain black rear sight do this with the factory polymer sights.

well if you read my OP in the 3rd paragraph I explained how I did exactly that with the plastic sight. However, if you look at the pic of the steel version thru the link i provided you would see why you can't just flip that one around. My goal, as I originally stated, was to dump the plastic rear sight in favor of a steel one. (w/o a white outline)