What are online ammo retailers smoking? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What are online ammo retailers smoking?

Cole125
12-13-2012, 19:35
...Cause they are high as a kite! High as a hippy on a helicopter! :wow: I was looking to order some more .223 ammo today, but after looking around I think ill wait until things cool down.

What ammo is in stock is just outrageously overpriced, when is this going to end? Is ammo ever going to go back to the price it was a year or two ago? ...rant over... :faint:

cesaros
12-13-2012, 19:37
Yup, itll go down...just as it did after the FIRST time Obama was elected.

WoodenPlank
12-13-2012, 19:56
Yup, itll go down...just as it did after the FIRST time Obama was elected.

Yep. People stop hording and panic buying, and it'll settle down. Hopefully it doesn't take nearly 3 years this time.

Fortunately, the spike doesn't seem as bad this time. In 08 I saw green tip spike to almost $900 a case (1k) almost overnight after the election.

Warp
12-13-2012, 20:04
...Cause they are high as a kite! High as a hippy on a helicopter! :wow: I was looking to order some more .223 ammo today, but after looking around I think ill wait until things cool down.

What ammo is in stock is just outrageously overpriced, when is this going to end? Is ammo ever going to go back to the price it was a year or two ago? ...rant over... :faint:

They will charge what the market will bear.

What kind/type of ammo were you looking for, and how much are you willing to spend on it?

PS: The election was ENTIRELY predictable. Many of us bought ammo before then and got much better prices. I got 1k rounds of PMC Bronze .223 for $336 delivered a day before the election, for example

bmoore
12-13-2012, 20:05
I snagged some cases of Federal and PMC when they were like 259 or something. Now I just buy primers, 8lb jugs of powder and bullets. Its not smoking savings but its nice to have the ability to make your own. I think I can do a case of 55grn FMJ for about 215 bucks.

Cole125
12-13-2012, 20:09
They will charge what the market will bear.

What kind/type of ammo were you looking for, and how much are you willing to spend on it?

PS: The election was ENTIRELY predictable. Many of us bought ammo before then and got much better prices. I got 1k rounds of PMC Bronze .223 for $336 delivered a day before the election, for example

I am looking for brass case 55gr target/plinking ammo for under $350 a case. PMC, Federal, ect.

I bought plenty of ammo before the election, but after a few range trips a couple cases go fast.

Cole125
12-13-2012, 20:10
Yep. People stop hording and panic buying, and it'll settle down. Hopefully it doesn't take nearly 3 years this time

Hope your right. How much ammo do people need to feel safe from the zombies for crying out loud! :rofl:

WoodenPlank
12-13-2012, 20:20
I am looking for brass case 55gr target/plinking ammo for under $350 a case. PMC, Federal, ect.

I bought plenty of ammo before the election, but after a few range trips a couple cases go fast.

I've been shooting steel case almost exclusively for practice. It's not great for accuracy, but I can still keep them on a silhouette target at 300 with 55gr Tula.

Pwhfirefighter
12-13-2012, 20:25
How much would I be looking at in the initial cost of getting into reloading? Just curious

WoodenPlank
12-13-2012, 20:29
How much would I be looking at in the initial cost of getting into reloading? Just curious

Depends on how much you wanna do. A single stage press would be fine for doing hand loads, and you can get set up for just over $100. if you wanna reload in bulk, then you're looking at quite a bit more. Plus a SOLID, well secured work bench to mount it on.

Pwhfirefighter
12-13-2012, 20:32
Depends on how much you wanna do. A single stage press would be fine for doing hand loads, and you can get set up for just over $100. if you wanna reload in bulk, then you're looking at quite a bit more. Plus a SOLID, well secured work bench to mount it on.

Gotcha, thanks. Keep reading on here about folks reloading and honestly never really gave it much thought until lately. I would want to do the bulk thing. Will do some research. Thanks again.

ddbtoth
12-13-2012, 20:36
What ever they are smoking, they're rolling it in C-notes.

Warp
12-13-2012, 20:49

I recently set up to reload handgun ammo (.38/.357) and equipment costs were about $760. Then you need the components.

The cost people quote when trying to tell you how great it is to get into for cost purposes, and the actual cost when you actually do it and want to do it right...usually not the same thing.

It's still a good idea to do it, though.

I think you'll need to reload, such it up and spend more, or wait awhile, cross your fingers, and hope that prices do the unusual and go down

cowboy1964
12-13-2012, 20:51
I just bought 400 rounds of Wolf to tide me over for a few months. I really don't want to burn up any more M193 for awhile.

Linh40
12-13-2012, 21:00
It's called business.

DevilDocsGlocks
12-13-2012, 21:03
They are smoking expensive crack, and with their prices, they can afford it. Even my local reloader is having trouble keeping up with demand.

gunowner1
12-13-2012, 23:04
Always check your local Craigslist for reloading stuff. I got my Dillon 550b,a RCBS Rangemaster scale, a Thumler's tumbler,and a bunch of other stuff for $350.00.

Gunnut 45/454
12-14-2012, 11:56
Pwhfirefighter
Unless your needing to load thousands of rounds at a time go single stage and you can get into reloading for about $400 dollars with components!:supergrin:

bmoore
12-14-2012, 12:20
Pwhfirefighter
Unless your needing to load thousands of rounds at a time go single stage and you can get into reloading for about $400 dollars with components!:supergrin:

Agreed. My dad cranks them out on a dillon but my Lee single stage press can get a lot more done than I thought possible. I just chip away at 40 a night and before I know Ive got 500 rounds loaded, then 1000. And if you enjoy it then that makes it all the more better.

Warp
12-14-2012, 18:59
Pwhfirefighter

Could you list all of the items (with price) that would accomplish that, please?