Caught my first squib! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Caught my first squib!

jr05
12-13-2012, 20:25
I have been reloading on my LCT for about a year now with a good number of rounds under my belt, not a single issue so far.

Well tonight I was loading up a hundred rounds and 60 rounds or so into the session, I brought a casing up into the powder die and it felt a bit off, after it came out, I looked in the case as usual before placing a bullet, and...no powder.

I took a look at the powder measure and the spring return had not returned the powder disk under the hopper after the previous round, thus not reloading the disk! I had the spring hesitate before, but never stick.

I pulled the bullet from the previous round which caused the drop to stick and the charge weight was correct.

This gave me a chance to tear the press down and clean all the dies, as well as the powder measure. The measure still hesitates sometimes when I tested it after the re-assembly. Anybody know what might be causing this, or should I just contact Lee?

WiskyT
12-13-2012, 20:37
I don't know why it would stick. The measure cycles with little effort and the spring is pretty stiff. Also, the expander die is designed to stick to the case and make it hard to pull out when the ram goes down which should all but guarantee that the measure resets.

I would separate the measure from the expander die and see which is binding and go from there. Maybe some brass shavings have gotten in between the expander plug and the die body?

WiskyT
12-13-2012, 20:39
The expander plug should be a loose fit in the die body. It should basically slide back and forth in the die under it's own weight. Take the die/measure out of the tool head. Separate the measure from the die and make sure the expander drops freely in and out of the die.

jr05
12-13-2012, 20:52
Brass shavings / powder / etc was my first thought.

I cleaned any brass out of the die and the expander plug (that moves back and forth in the die) was smooth and moved freely in the housing.

One thing I did notice was the powder hopper area of the assembly would rotate a bit to the right every time it was actuated. There is also a fair amount of makings from rubbing on the part that moves up and down when the expander plug presses up on it to actuate the press. not sure if this is normal or not, but I think this might be the area that is causing the issue.

Conclusion, it is not brass or power clogging the assembly up since I cleaned it all up quite meticulously.

I did have this problem with the hopper randomly throughout the life of it (from the beginning), but it never hung up, just jumped sometimes and not as smooth as a normal pull. It was always just a hesitation but never stuck like today.

WiskyT
12-13-2012, 21:02
So your die is good to go. I would take the spring off of the measure and reassemble it and then you can feel what is going on. Mine has the pullback chain (pro1000) and the movement of the measure is almost effortless.

At some point the elastomer wiper wore out on my measure ("Pro" upgrade). When I installed the new one, it was a snug fit. It never hung up, but it wasn't smooth either. I dusted the lips on the wiper with graphite and it slicked right up. Is yours a Pro measure with a new wiper?

I wouldn't ordinarily think that the drag from the wiper would be enough to seize the measure, but obviously you've got something going on here so it is worth asking about.

Also, the arm that shuttles the disk, it has a rounded end that mates to the groove in the disk. Is it smooth? Is it chewing up the inside of the groove?

Also, there is a small tit on the measure body to locate the disk. The disk slides back and forth on it. Is that chewed up?

jr05
12-13-2012, 21:55
Well, I spent some time looking at the measure and I think I found the issue.

Lee Powder Measure Sticking | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This arm appears bent and is rubbing on the aluminum housing it rides in. I found some aluminum shavings and it also is what is causing the whole head assembly to rotate to the right and back with every actuation.

I bent it back a little bit (not straight, just a bit less bent now..didn't fully disassemble the spring assembly so didn't have a lot of leverage). I was only able to test it a bit, but it did not stick at all in the initial testing. I will give it another go tomorrow, but I think this might have been the issue. I will probably contact Lee tomorrow and see what they will do about replacing this part with a new one as there is still quite a bit of rubbing and I would prefer to replace the part than bend it more myself.

WiskyT
12-13-2012, 22:05
If you end up taking it apart, be careful with that spring. For a little spring, it has a lot of power. Safety glasses are recommended.

jr05
12-19-2012, 09:34
I contacted Lee and the part is not supposed to be bent like mine is.

I will get a replacement and see if that addresses it.

wdphillips
12-19-2012, 11:42
I recently pulled out my Lee Classic Turret to load some 30-06 and .308 for my M1 Garand and M1A.

I almost forgot what a nice functional press it is!:cool:

jr05
12-19-2012, 14:11
I have really enjoyed the LCT and it has made an excellent first press.

I am looking to step up my production now since I shoot IDPA in the summers and am looking at trying some USPSA next year. I am probably going to get a 650 now, I was originally planning on the 550 but since I mainly shoot 9mm, the 650 seems like the best way to go.

I will certainly keep the LCT and use it for my 45acp needs as well as rifle. It really is a nice press and I would recommend to any beginner getting into reloading. Going to a progressive first would probably have been doable, but the turret is really simple and you can learn each step as it goes without having to think about 4-5 different steps all at once.

DMAR
12-28-2012, 22:29
I have really enjoyed the LCT and it has made an excellent first press.

I am looking to step up my production now since I shoot IDPA in the summers and am looking at trying some USPSA next year. I am probably going to get a 650 now, I was originally planning on the 550 but since I mainly shoot 9mm, the 650 seems like the best way to go.

I will certainly keep the LCT and use it for my 45acp needs as well as rifle. It really is a nice press and I would recommend to any beginner getting into reloading. Going to a progressive first would probably have been doable, but the turret is really simple and you can learn each step as it goes without having to think about 4-5 different steps all at once.

Agreed, the LCT was my first press, as well. Great value, many thousands of rounds, and no issues. Many good features to that press, and as you mentioned, the turret operation really helps focus you on the nuances of each stage. That being said, I've had a Hornady LnL for about five years now, and it is awesome, love the productivity increase!

BTW, OP, great 'catch' on your first squib. My first, and only squib got stuck in the barrel of my 2 1/2" Colt Python; the horror! :crying: believe it, or not, happened on the last shot I was going to take that day... :dunno: To make matters worse, it was a FMJ bullet and was a bee-aach to get out. Never again!!