odd 1911 malfunction [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : odd 1911 malfunction

jim2037
12-14-2012, 13:09
Ok so Im not the foremost authority on the 1911 only recently having purchased one but here is what happened to me the other night:

I had unloaded my 1911 A1 .45 and after removing the round in the chamber I pressed the slide release and the slide slammed forward. ok so perfect function to that point, Well you see what happened next was the barrel bushing and the recoil spring came flying off the front of the pistol!!

I had been carrying that gun all day long and thank god that didnt happen during a time when I needed that gun to fire. I looked the parts over and saw no abnormal wear or breakage. I reassembled the gun and tried several times to replicate the the breakage and could'nt, anyone ever seen this before?

MLittle
12-14-2012, 13:28
Ok so Im not the foremost authority on the 1911 only recently having purchased one but here is what happened to me the other night:

I had unloaded my 1911 A1 .45 and after removing the round in the chamber I pressed the slide release and the slide slammed forward. ok so perfect function to that point, Well you see what happened next was the barrel bushing and the recoil spring came flying off the front of the pistol!!

I had been carrying that gun all day long and thank god that didnt happen during a time when I needed that gun to fire. I looked the parts over and saw no abnormal wear or breakage. I reassembled the gun and tried several times to replicate the the breakage and could'nt, anyone ever seen this before?

Does the bushing appear to be damaged (cracked, malformed)? Sounds to me like you didn't have the bushing fully seated in the slide...., but I can't see how you can rotate the bushing fully and not have it properly seated.

One other thing......It's really not a good idea to drop the slide like that on an empty chamber. From my understanding it can damage the pistol.

Rinspeed
12-14-2012, 13:38
One other thing......It's really not a good idea to drop the slide like that on an empty chamber. From my understanding it can damage the pistol.

I only do it once in a great while, to me it's like slamming your car door shut very hard. Only an idiot does it to a pistol that doesn't belong to them. :upeyes:

pdogkilr
12-14-2012, 13:48
You don't mention recoil spring plug in your post. Was it missing from the assembled pistol?

The barrel bushing has a small flange that fits into a notch in the slide. For the barrel bushing to come out, one of the following would have to occur:

a) A portion of the front of the slide where the locking notch for the bushing is would have to rip out of the slide.

b) The flange on the bushing had to break off.

c) The recoil spring plug would need to be depressed in some fashion such that the barrel bushing could rotate to the disassembly position. With the recoil spring properly located in the spring plug (now under pressure), and the spring plug properly located in the bushing, I really don't see how the bushing could rotate.

If the pistol is properly assembled and the bushing and slide are intact (undamaged), the bushing has to rotate to come out - no exceptions.

Wish I could be more help, but this is a strange occurrence indeed.

fnfalman
12-14-2012, 13:51
My guess would be that the barrel bushing didn't lock onto the recoil plug (or vice versa). With daily wear & movement, it's possible that the barrel bushing would rotate off the slide and with the slaming of the slide, it rotated off the muzzle fully and the whole shebang flew out under spring pressure.

Jason D
12-14-2012, 16:15
While I can't really see it happening. I would check the lug on the bushing to see if it hasn't been broken.

bac1023
12-14-2012, 16:23
Its either broken or wasn't seated properly.

By the way, don't let the slide slam home on an empty chamber with a 1911 or any auto.

ca survivor
12-15-2012, 07:10
if the bushing was not in all the way, the plug and spring will have pushed out at the time of reassembly.

jakebrake
12-15-2012, 07:45
My guess would be that the barrel bushing didn't lock onto the recoil plug (or vice versa). With daily wear & movement, it's possible that the barrel bushing would rotate off the slide and with the slaming of the slide, it rotated off the muzzle fully and the whole shebang flew out under spring pressure.

agreed. that's the first thing i'd look at.

ArmoryDoc
12-15-2012, 08:28
To the OP. Never let the slide slam forward on an empty chamber. It definitely "can" damage components.

jim2037
12-16-2012, 21:20
Thanks for all the advice here, I looked the parts over and I dont see any breakage. best guess is I didnt have the bushing set over the recoil spring (plug) properly and by carrying it it managed to work its way loose enough that the jarring of the slide coming forward simply pushed it loose.

Havent been able to replicate the malfunction, so just a fluke based on my own carelessness is my diagnosis

thanks again

Jim

km625
12-17-2012, 09:28

I had a very similar problem, the recoil spring
was coil binding with each shot fired and weakened the
bushing. Pulled the trigger one time too many and the bullet,
half the bushing and the spring all headed down range.

Was your bushing still in one piece, or was it snapped in two?

km

phalanxr
12-17-2012, 17:39
Its either broken or wasn't seated properly.

By the way, don't let the slide slam home on an empty chamber with a 1911 or any auto.

I have had 1911's for years, including my last purchased TRP in May... I respect your experience BAC so ill ask this...

What components can and or may be damaged by letting the slide slam home? I don't remember reading that in any of the manuals ive gotten over the years... and have been letting the slides slam home for those said years with an empty chamber :embarassed:

Rinspeed
12-17-2012, 18:57
What components can and or may be damaged by letting the slide slam home?

Sear, hammer and barrel lower lugs.

phalanxr
12-17-2012, 21:47

Mother ****er...

Why am I just finding out about this hahahaha!

rilkil23
12-17-2012, 23:22
Kudos to the OP for owning up to causing the malfunction. I thought every little bobble required the pistol be sent back to the manufacturer for repair or immediate replacement. I know I've made mistakes and continue to learn from the members experiences on this forum.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

1911Tuner
12-18-2012, 09:59

Lower lug? Yes, if you make it a frequent habit. Slidestop crosspin hole? Yes, with repeated hammerings.

Hammer? No.

Sear? Only if the trigger nudges the disconnect and cause the hammer to fall to half-cock...and even then it won't likely do much damage with one or two occurrences. The sear just isn't that fragile.

Rinspeed
12-18-2012, 10:47
Lower lug? Yes, if you make it a frequent habit. Slidestop crosspin hole? Yes, with repeated hammerings.

Hammer? No.

Sear? Only if the trigger nudges the disconnect and cause the hammer to fall to half-cock...and even then it won't likely do much damage with one or two occurrences. The sear just isn't that fragile.

Apparently you didn't read the post I was replying to. :dunno:

I have had 1911's for years,

... and have been letting the slides slam home for those said years with an empty chamber

1911Tuner
12-18-2012, 11:37
Apparently you didn't read the post I was replying to.

I wasn't really replying to your post. More to address the misconceptions, because I've heard all those "damage" points made before.

Wyoming
12-19-2012, 21:59
It will not break the average 1911 to let the slide slam shut on an empty chamber. It is about the same slamming the cylinder shut on a revolver. VERY BAD FORM. keep doing it and you will need to repair your gun sooner than those that don't.

If you spent big bucks on a 1911 with precision fitted parts why would anyone want to abuse fine machinery?

If you go over to Utah and see the birthplace of John Mosses Browning you will see the Ten Commandments of the 1911 carved in marble.

It states:

1 Thy shall only make the 1911 in metal.

2 Thy shall only use good magazines and good condition.

3 Thy shall practice as often as one can.

4 Thy shall only use ammunition loaded to SAMMI standards and not reinvent the wheel with cheap reloads.

5 Thy shall not let the slide slam without resistance from ammo or other hand.

6 Thy shall not deface 1911 with idiot marks

7 Thy shall never make shinning or bling any 1911.

8 Thy shall never asked to borrow another person's 1911.

9 Thy shall never carry or bear 1911 in ill fitting holster.

10 Thy shall not covet bac 1023 collection.

How Mr. Browning knew about bac being one of his great disciples is beyond us.:whistling:

AustinTx
12-20-2012, 17:22
I had a very similar problem, the recoil spring
was coil binding with each shot fired and weakened the
bushing. Pulled the trigger one time too many and the bullet,
half the bushing and the spring all headed down range.

km

What recoil spring are you using, that's binding, please?