Saiga and AR [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Saiga and AR

K.Kiser
12-14-2012, 19:24
Thinking of getting both... Like most other feller's it will be for plinking, hog hunting, HD, and heaven forbid a sthf scenario..

I would very most likely get the AR in the 5.56, but like the 7.62x39 in the AK variant... I'm wondering if I should get the two separate calibers for ammo flexibility amd separate role capabilities, or get them in both in 5.56 for commonality.. This is probably an answerless question, but I'd value your opinions on pro's and con's... Thanks...

WoodenPlank
12-14-2012, 19:29
Either way, you'll need different mags (obviously). 5.56 Saiga mags are a bear to get, from what I hear. I have seen photos of a couple Saiga conversion systems to let them use AR-15 magazines, though. If you're willing to go that route (and it's reliable) then that might be an option.

In the end, though, why two similar-performing rifles in totally different platforms with the same mag and ammo? 2 ARs gives the benefit of swapping parts. Two different designs (say, bullpup and traditional) can render some advantages, but not when they both have similar layouts and don't share parts.

Either 2 ARs (one carbine, one rifle perhaps) or two different calibers set up for two different purposes. Maybe an AK carbine in 7.62x39 and a rifle-length AR in 5.56 for distance.

bmoore
12-14-2012, 19:51
I own both. I will say that the Saiga AK with monte carlo stock is one of the most "sleeper" rifles out there. They are just an all around great rifle just the way they are. My Saiga is in 7.62.

K.Kiser
12-15-2012, 10:15
Woodenplank, while they both share an intended common duty I still see some separation in their actual capabilities... The AR would be for longer range fun with some of our higher-end reloads, along with all of the above from my first post... The AK variant would be for all the same with an exception to long range work, and it would perform the other recreational duties with cheap european bulk ammo that AR's typically don't care for...

The AK would also be my choice in a situation where a firearm would be needed to perform on a long term basis with very minimal proper care... I believe them both to be very useful firearms that are the perfect tool for slightly different work... Thanks for you post...

bigmoney890
12-15-2012, 11:05
If you decide for an AK and an AR, which many many people do, don't go for the saiga. To get them converted to have to pistol grip is a pain in the ass and costs a bunch, plus you have to make sure you're 992r compliant. If you go that route, get a traditional AK, you'll be glad you did, unless you prefer not having the pistol grip. But in that case, you might as well go with the Mini-30 and stay american made!

K.Kiser
12-15-2012, 11:26
I wanted a mini first off... The deal breaker is no factory replacement parts available per Ruger, and the rifle needs sent in for some repairs... That's a definite no-go for a sthf firearm, and such a shame because I love the garand action and the 580 is otherwise a real decent platform...

In regard to the Saiga, I may leave the monte carlo buttstock alone... If the decision was made for the full mod, I would do it myself but I could live without the trigger forward and pistol grip...

RMTactical
12-15-2012, 15:55
My Saiga is in 7.62 and my AR15's are in 5.56, the way they were meant to be.

Had a 5.56 Saiga at one point but didn't see the purpose.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-15-2012, 20:37
I own both. I will say that the Saiga AK with monte carlo stock is one of the most "sleeper" rifles out there. They are just an all around great rifle just the way they are. My Saiga is in 7.62.

I agree. I kept my Saiga stock. Surprising how lightweight it is. 16" barrel, 7.62x39. I have a quick detach sidemount for a scope. Never a jam, never a problem, easy to shoot. Accuracy is ok, 3.5" groups at 100 yards. I only have 10 round mags for it, but have a lot of them. Also a couple 5's for legal hunting in NYS. I like this gun very much :)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8335/8084562614_90a4fabdc3_b.jpg

mac66
12-16-2012, 06:59
I have a number of both ARs and Saiga. A couple of my Saiga are converted (not too hard to do) but my 7.62 is kept as is. It is one of my favorite beater rifles (I bought mine back when they were cheap).

BTW, if you cut down the follower in the 10 round factory mags they will hold 13-14 rounds and work reliably. Also, if you use US made mags they count as 3 US parts. I am told that US made Thermold Master Molder AK mags will work in a Saiga with no modification to the rifle.

If however, you wanted to use AK mags (say for cheap 5 round hunting mags) you would have to add a bullet guide. Which, while virtually undetectable requires you to add 4 US parts to be 922r compliant. You don't want the Import Parts Police showing up and raiding your house. That is why many people convert them. It is easier to just swap out the hammer, trigger, stock, pistol grip than find 4 compliance parts on the standard Saiga rifle as is comes from the factory.

Long story short, yeah buy a Saiga, convert it or not.

Oh, and I have a mini 30 as well. Much nicer than any AK and has killed a lot of deer in the last 20+ years. The new ones are really nice.

Dubble-Tapper
12-16-2012, 08:44
If you decide for an AK and an AR, which many many people do, don't go for the saiga. To get them converted to have to pistol grip is a pain in the ass and costs a bunch, plus you have to make sure you're 992r compliant. If you go that route, get a traditional AK, you'll be glad you did, unless you prefer not having the pistol grip. But in that case, you might as well go with the Mini-30 and stay american made!

Pain in the ass and expensive? I think not for an even remotely handy person. Definitely not that expensive either. Well worth it to have a Russian mil spec receiver and chrome lined barrel.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

mjkeat
12-16-2012, 10:51
bigmoney, come on man. The Saiga is a great AK made in the OE factory in Russia. It is a rugged, high quality choice. The conversion costs very little, maybe slightly over $100. It's really not that difficult either.

bigmoney890
12-16-2012, 12:49
bigmoney, come on man. The Saiga is a great AK made in the OE factory in Russia. It is a rugged, high quality choice. The conversion costs very little, maybe slightly over $100. It's really not that difficult either.

Why not just buy what you want to start with, rather than buying something you don't, and then turning it into something you do?

Plus the OP likes the monte carlo stock, so go for the saiga. If he likes the pistol grip and such, go with a traditional AK.

Dubble-Tapper
12-16-2012, 13:27
Why not just buy what you want to start with, rather than buying something you don't, and then turning it into something you do?

because the end result is a better quality AK variant than what else you can get in that price range.

mjkeat
12-16-2012, 17:22

Plus the OP likes the monte carlo stock, so go for the saiga. If he likes the pistol grip and such, go with a traditional AK.

I agree but like what was said above the Saiga give a better end product than most.

If the Chevy Monte Carlo stock is desired than even better.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

RMTactical
12-16-2012, 19:14
I agree but like what was said above the Saiga give a better end product than most.

If the Chevy Monte Carlo stock is desired than even better.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Buying and converting a Saiga only cost me under $600 last year. My brother did one (used) for about $450 this year (no threaded barrel).

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u87/RMTactical/IMG_0007.jpg

For the money, if you have the desire to convert it, hard to beat the quality and price of the Saiga.

Gunny Lingus
12-16-2012, 19:54
I bought all the Saiga calibers back when they were cheap. Some in pairs. I always planned a winter project to put the pistol grip on them, but I got busy and left them as they were. I like having them in a configuration that doesn't draw attention. Who really needs a pistol grip? They are seriously sweet shooters.