Disappointed in Brownells [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in Brownells

Ruggles
12-14-2012, 21:13
I have been shopping there for years and have never had a issue at all. What follows is just my opinion and most likely will not be shared by others and I am fine with that.

Today my friend who bought a Sig 400 last week ask me to find him some mags as he only has the one that came with the gun. He is a avid hunter but is new to ARs and I helped him buy the gun and ammo so far.

I go to Brownells as I know they sell 10 packs of mags for a reasonable price. I have bought these 10 packs before.

I find some PMags, black 30 rounders for 10 for $99.99 a heck of a deal. I call him give him all the info down to the part number. This was around 2:00pm or so.

At 6:00 pm he calls me and says he can not find those mags for that price, all he can find is the 10 pack for $125. I know he is new to AR mags and think he must be looking at something wrong. I then look it up and he is right they are now $125 which while still a good price is not $99.

Now I have no problem with somebody selling something for whatever price but it sure seems like bad form to raise the price on a day that AR mags are in high demand because of the tragedy in CT. I can't help but feel that they are in fact taking advantage of it in a way. I expect this kind of crap out of Cheaper Than Dirt as the have done it before but I just thought more of Brownells. :dunno:

Could be a odd timing I guess and have nothing to do with the shooting but sales do not typically end in mid afternoon.

Ended up buying at Midway USA for $12.50 per PMag. They have a limit of 5 per order now BTW.

Not sure if I personally (and that all I am saying just me, not asking anyone else) to stop buying at Brownells but honestly I think I am done with them. Just feels slimy, CTD gouge after the election in 08, that was bad but not not as bad as doing so after the tragedy today IMO.

cowboy1964
12-14-2012, 21:42
I have news for you, AR mags have been in demand for long before today.

Ruggles
12-14-2012, 21:44
I have news for you, AR mags have been in demand for long before today.

True, but was there a sudden shift in demand from 2pm to 6pm today? If so why?

Again just my opinion on it. :wavey:

WoodenPlank
12-14-2012, 21:48

Again just my opinion on it. :wavey:

Are you sure there wasn't a timed sale of some kind going on? Perhaps one deal was for non-windowed, and the other for windowed?

It's always possible they did jack up prices, but since I didn't see it for myself, I can not say for sure.

Ruggles
12-14-2012, 21:54
Are you sure there wasn't a timed sale of some kind going on? Perhaps one deal was for non-windowed, and the other for windowed?

It's always possible they did jack up prices, but since I didn't see it for myself, I can not say for sure.

Funny you should mention that. The window mags were indeed $125 when I saw the standard mags for $99 today. In fact when my friend called me that was what I thought he was looking at wrong, the window mags and not the standard. The windows mags are now $155 per 10.

In fact check this out now:

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/index.htm

The main page still shows the $99 deal right now but when you click into it it is $125.

Again not trying to start crap for them, just expressing my feelings. Hell honestly this shooting makes me just want to be mad at something substantial I guess.

USMCsilver
12-14-2012, 22:00
If you would have called, you probably would have gotten the $99 price.

Ruggles
12-14-2012, 22:05
If you would have called, you probably would have gotten the $99 price.

Maybe but not my point. Again I could care less what they charge and $12.50 for a PMag is not a bad price at all. Just the timing is off. Heck even if not connected and the price was going to go up anyways (again who ends a sales in mid afternoon :dunno:) I would have thought they would have not done it for appearance sake at the least.

Maybe I am reading into this more than I should, I do this sort of stuff at work so I am maybe over aware of pricing and sales etc. :dunno:

GlockPride
12-14-2012, 22:12
Capitalism at its finest. If you're selling everything you can get your hands on the market demands you raise your price to try to stem the demand. Pure economics at work-I love it!

If you have $125 and want it, buy them. If not, wait and if enough of the market agrees with you, then you pay less.

4Rules
12-14-2012, 22:17

Eisenhower warns us of the military industrial complex. - YouTube

:whistling:

Cole125
12-14-2012, 22:21
The way Brownells works is when your signed into your account it shows a special low price on most items, lists them as lower than when your are signed out.

Ruggles
12-14-2012, 22:22
Capitalism at its finest. If you're selling everything you can get your hands on the market demands you raise your price to try to stem the demand. Pure economics at work-I love it!

If you have $125 and want it, buy them. If not, wait and if enough of the market agrees with you, then you pay less.

I agree, sell it for whatever you want too. I have zero problem with that as long as it is honest. After the 08 election CTD was posting false MSRP on their websites to make it look like their prices were below MSRP when in fact they were higher. That is crap IMO and dishonest to boot. I will personally never buy from them again which sucks cause they are Texas based and I support Texas business when I can. Just as Ammo To Go and Primary Arms :rofl:

But to raise prices after 20 small children are killed on an item because you can seems wrong to me. Maybe it's is because my friend was buying just to have some, it had nothing to do with todays events. Again he has 1 mag right now and just wanted some more, if nothing happened today he would have acted the same in other words.. What was a "everyday" transaction turned into something effected by the shooting.

Again I was just expressing my feelings not trying to slant others against Brownells. Like I said I have used and liked them for years.

Ruggles
12-14-2012, 22:25
The way Brownells works is when your signed into your account it shows a special low price on most items, lists them as lower than when your are signed out.

Could be but I was "signed in" on the same device (iPhone) both times and saw the different prices on the same screen. Like I posted above right now they still show the $99 on the "all magazine" screen but when you click into the Pmags is shows $125, it did not do that at 2pm.

If it is something like you say then great because I would like to be wrong about them and this honestly.

Ruggles
12-14-2012, 22:28
Eisenhower warns us of the military industrial complex. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y06NSBBRtY)

:whistling:

Ole Ike, can't imagine the weight he carried in WWII on his shoulders. :wow:

Have to say though if I remember right he was not a proponent of using the atom bombs on Japan. He was wrong in that IMO.

surf
12-14-2012, 23:46
I've seen enough websites make errors in pricing. If your order goes through good for you. If they catch the error and then fix it, what can you say? Not sure what there is to be upset about?

mjkeat
12-14-2012, 23:55
I think someone is jumping to conclusions. It was probably a pre planned thing that just so happened on this day of tragedy.

Why don't you email Brownells and find out?

DJ Niner
12-15-2012, 01:04
Funny you should mention that. The window mags were indeed $125 when I saw the standard mags for $99 today. In fact when my friend called me that was what I thought he was looking at wrong, the window mags and not the standard. The windows mags are now $155 per 10.

In fact check this out now:

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/index.htm

The main page still shows the $99 deal right now but when you click into it it is $125.

Again not trying to start crap for them, just expressing my feelings. Hell honestly this shooting makes me just want to be mad at something substantial I guess.I looked at these PMags 10-packs yesterday, as I was considering a purchase. I can vouch for the fact that they were $99 for the 10-pack of non-Maglevel mags. The black and FDE mags were the ones I was considering. In the case of this sale, it didn't matter if you were logged-in to your account or not; the price was the same (I checked both ways).

If the price increase and the timing of it was in fact driven by the latest shooting, I share Ruggles' disappointment in Brownells, and I will be telling them so.

Based on the interactions I've had with them over the last few decades, I quite honestly would have expected them to be above this type of crap. This is the company that told me more than once to send back a part that wasn't working for me (for a refund), even though I had modified it in an attempt to make it work. I thanked them, but refused to do so, as I didn't think it was the right thing to do, even if they encouraged it.

Now this. They've dropped a few notches in my book. I suppose I'm just showing how naive I am, but still...

mjkeat
12-15-2012, 01:39
If the price increase and the timing of it was in fact driven by the latest shooting, I share Ruggles' disappointment in Brownells, and I will be telling them so.

Based on the interactions I've had with them over the last few decades, I quite honestly would have expected them to be above this type of crap. This is the company that told me more than once to send back a part that wasn't working for me (for a refund), even though I had modified it in an attempt to make it work. I thanked them, but refused to do so, as I didn't think it was the right thing to do, even if they encouraged it.

Now this. They've dropped a few notches in my book. I suppose I'm just showing how naive I am, but still...

Did you talk to them while typing your post? It seems you go from if they did to they did fairly quickly. Do you know something you're not sharing?

DJ Niner
12-15-2012, 02:17
Did you talk to them while typing your post? It seems you go from if they did to they did fairly quickly. Do you know something you're not sharing?Not on their motive(s), but I did type that post in several sections, and it probably reflects my building disappointment at what I had found on the price change itself as I retraced my steps a few days ago. I checked the price that was linked in Ruggles' post, the price that I remembered seeing, and the "Sale" email that I received from them a couple of days ago. The items in question were not featured in the email, but a link in that email is how I had arrived at the site when I was looking around for the mags. The list page that Ruggles linked showed the price I remembered, but when it showed a higher price after you opened the link to the mags; well, that kind of says it all. There are NO mags at the lowest price shown on the list page right now; even the PMags that are out-of-stock are the higher price. To me, that means they raised the price, and the only real question is why. If they DID do it because of the tragedy, can we trust them if they tell us they didn't? If they admit that was the reason, then do we really want to know that? Is there any possible outcome that explains this in a satisfactory manner, for those of us who think it's a cruddy way to do business?

EDIT: for anyone who doubts the previous price, if you Google search for "brownells pmag 10-pack", you'll get many hits in the first couple of pages referencing the $99.99 price. It was popular enough that many folks and sites commented on it or linked to it. Examples:

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/blog/2012/12/14/pmag-10-packs-on-sale-at-brownells/

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/great-deals/110703-10-pack-magpul-pmag-ar-15-m16-polymer-magazines-$99-99-free-shipping.html

According to the above thread, "Computer issues" is the response one person got when they tried to order some at the $99.99 price yesterday, but were charged more in their cart. Apparently they honored the $99.99 price over the phone, and he was able to buy them at that price. As Ruggles said, that's not really the issue here, and I agree.

Even the link in that thread that was labeled "Magpul AR-15/M16 Polymer Magazines-10 Pack - $99.99 + Free Shipping @ Brownells" goes to the $125 priced item, now.

DJ Niner
12-15-2012, 04:03
I just found this on another site that linked to the deal:

http://www.slickguns.com/product/magpul-ar-15m16-polymer-magazines-10-pack

"$99.99 PMAG 10 Pack Promotion
Submitted by Brownells on Fri, 2012-12-14 15:15.

$99.99 PMAG 10 Pack Promotion Update -

I wanted to give you all an update on the PMAG promotion that we were running. Unfortunately due to elevated demand for PMAGs the quantity that we had allocated to this promotion diminished much quicker than anticipated. With this, we unfortunately had to end this promotion early.

We still have free shipping on all orders over $99 through December 16th. Please use promo code DSR or DV2 at checkout.

Our apologies for any inconvenience that this has caused!"

-----------------------------------------

Sorry, still not passing the smell test for me. Just my personal opinion, of course.

Ruggles
12-15-2012, 06:14
Well it sounds like a mixture of things occurred yesterday to cause the confusion over pricing. I will give Brownells the benefit of the doubt on this myself. Like I said I really do like doing business with them.

Thanks DJ I thought I was going crazy for a sec there......

Spiffums
12-15-2012, 06:33
People just buyign them up so they can sell them for $$$$$$ after the ban that they all think will come.

Ruggles
12-15-2012, 06:38
People just buyign them up so they can sell them for $$$$$$ after the ban that they all think will come.

No doubt. I think they might be right with the ban issue, hope not but think they may be. But prices will not reach 1/2 of what they did during the AWB. People are too stocked up and supply is too heavy IMO.

WoodenPlank
12-15-2012, 08:44
No doubt. I think they might be right with the ban issue, hope not but think they may be. But prices will not reach 1/2 of what they did during the AWB. People are too stocked up and supply is too heavy IMO.

No way that any such bill would clear the House.

ArmoryDoc
12-15-2012, 09:02
E-O to stop the threat to NATIONAL SECURITY

WoodenPlank
12-15-2012, 09:12
E-O to stop the threat to NATIONAL SECURITY

Executive orders can not make new laws.

LL6
12-15-2012, 10:27
I'm not so confident. The same people that brought us the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, despite the majority not wanting it, will find a loop hole somewhere. :eyebrow:

surf
12-15-2012, 12:22
OK wait they ran a promotion and allocated a certain number of pmags to be sold before the promotion ended? That seems to happen quite a bit. I think the timing is purely coincidental. I would fully expect them to run out very quickly given the pricing. Hell SKD ran a promotion on Aimpoint Pro's yesterday or the day before. They ran out of promotional Aimpoints in less than a few hours, ending that price. But you can still order them at regular price. I sure as heck am not pissed off over it. I guess I am missing something here?

Ruggles
12-15-2012, 15:36
OK wait they ran a promotion and allocated a certain number of pmags to be sold before the promotion ended? That seems to happen quite a bit. I think the timing is purely coincidental. I would fully expect them to run out very quickly given the pricing. Hell SKD ran a promotion on Aimpoint Pro's yesterday or the day before. They ran out of promotional Aimpoints in less than a few hours, ending that price. But you can still order them at regular price. I sure as heck am not pissed off over it. I guess I am missing something here?

No I do not think you are missing anything really. if you look at the timeline of this thread the flow of the conversation fits together fits together. Nobody was ever pissed just disappointed that Brownell might do something like this. I think perhaps you are reading into this something that is not there.

Like I said if Brownells says they ran out of the sale item and it went back to regular price then I am more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that is what occurred. I do think (as do others it seems) the communication of this could have been handled better. No big deal in the end to me, in fact like I said I am glad as I like doing business with them. :wavey:

Ruggles
12-15-2012, 15:47
No way that any such bill would clear the House.

I agree it might be unlikely now but 2 years from now? If the House is lost (and could very well be IMO) then what?

I hope I am wrong and would not bet the house that a new AWB is coming I sure would not bet against one either. Last week I would have.

Made in Austria
12-15-2012, 16:23
I agree it might be unlikely now but 2 years from now? If the House is lost (and could very well be IMO) then what?

I hope I am wrong and would not bet the house that a new AWB is coming I sure would not bet against one either. Last week I would have.

So you think a "clone assoult weapons ban" would prevent such tragedies? A semi automatic .223/5.56 AR15 etc. is no assoult weapon, it's a weak powered small caliber rifle. It is a assoult weapon in the eyes of the left wing though because they don't know what they are talking about. They think a AK 47 is actually a Glock, and a Glock is actually a AK 47.

A semi automatic "assoult weapons" ban does nothing. All it does is to disarm law abiding citizens. The insane, thugs, and criminals will still have easy access to "assoult weapons".

If you disarm everybody, then the insane will start to look up construction plans for extremly efficient bombs, dirty bombs, biological, and chemical weapons on the INTERNET. Then my friend, that theater, school and other buildings are completley gone. Bombings like the Oklahoma bombing will occur more often, after an Assoult weapons ban.

With all due respect sir, please stop thinking like a stinky European liberal. Trust me, I grew up over there. Citizens, especially in the Greman speaking countries are not armed because they are not allowed to. They are not allowed to use deadly force in most cases. If some nice guys from the east block countries break into your house at nights with an flame thrower while they rape your familiy you have to call 112, the European 911. If you dare to have a gun or even use it on those nice guys YOU will go to prison for a few years. Because you killed them.

I sometimes read in Austrian online news paper forums. Just today people complained about Obama because he started crying in front of the camera yesterday. They said, "why is he crying now?? He is responsible for thousands of killings in Afghanistan" I mean go figure. They seem to have forgotten of what happend back in 2001 and other incidents. That proves how stupid the majority is over there. They have been brain washed by thir own liberal politicians. A lot of them hate Americans because they are all armed and dangerous. But they seem to forget that their own people get killed all the time with knives, flame throwers, small bombs, gasoline, cut in pieces, poisoned, and so on, this is okay for them, as long as nobody gets killed with an evil firearm. I could complain about this sh*& hole Europe all day, but it wouldn't matter. Sorry had to vent again.

Ruggles
12-15-2012, 16:43
So you think a "clone assoult weapons ban" would prevent such tragedies? A semi automatic .223/5.56 AR15 etc. is no assoult weapon, it's a weak powered small caliber rifle. It is a assoult weapon in the eyes of the left wing though because they don't know what they are talking about. They think a AK 47 is actually a Glock, and a Glock is actually a AK 47.

A semi automatic "assoult weapons" ban does nothing. All it does is to disarm law abiding citizens. The insane, thugs, and criminals will still have easy access to "assoult weapons".

If you disarm everybody, then the insane will start to look up construction plans for extremly efficient bombs, dirty bombs, biological, and chemical weapons on the INTERNET. Then my friend, that theater, school and other buildings are completley gone. Bombings like the Oklahoma bombing will occur more often, after an Assoult weapons ban.

With all due respect sir, please stop thinking like a stinky European liberal. Trust me, I grew up over there. Citizens, especially in the Greman speaking countries are not armed because they are not allowed to. They are not allowed to use deadly force in most cases. If some nice guys from the east block countries breakes into your house at nights with an flame thrower while they rape your familiy you have to call 112, the European 911. If you dare to have a gun or even use it on those nice guys YOU will go to prison for a few years. Because you killed them.

I sometimes read in Austrian online news paper forums. Just today people complained about Obama because he started crying in front of the camera yesterday. They said, "why is he crying now?? He is responsible for thousands of killings in Afghanistan" I mean go figure. They seem to have forgotten of what happend back in 2001. That proves how stupid the majority is over there. They have been brain washed by thir own liberal politicians. A lot of them hate Americans because they are all armed and dangerous. But they seem to forget that their own people get killed all the time with knives, flame throwers, small bombs, gasoline, cut in pieces, poisoned, and so on, this is okay for them, as long as nobody gets killed with an evil firearm. I could complain about this sh*& hole Europe all day, but it wouldn't matter. Sorry had to vent again.

What part of me saying I thought a new AWB might be coming but "I hope I am wrong" lead you to believe I support a new AWB or thought one would prevent what occurred Friday :dunno:

Made in Austria
12-15-2012, 16:55
I know, my English is not that great, yet. But didn't you say, "I hope I am wrong and would not bet the house that a new AWB is coming I sure would not bet against one either. Last week I would have".

It sounds to me that you would not be against an new AWB after of what happened yesterday. But you would have been against one last week? If so, there is nothing wrong with it, because we live in a semi-free country. I am sorry If I miss understood you.

Ruggles
12-15-2012, 17:10
I know, my English is not that great, yet. But didn't you say, "I hope I am wrong and would not bet the house that a new AWB is coming I sure would not bet against one either. Last week I would have".

It sounds to me that you would not be against an new AWB after of what happened yesterday. But you would have been against one last week? If so, there is nothing wrong with it, because we live in a semi-free country. I am sorry If I miss understood you.

Now I see. I agree my sentence structure could have been more clear, sorry. Let me try again.

I am not for a new AWB at all, and last week I would have bet that there was not one coming anytime soon. Today I still do not support a new AWB but feel that it is much more likely now because of Friday.

In other words my feelings have not changed about the need or effectiveness of a new AWB, I do not support it. But my belief we are going to see one regardless of that has. Maybe not now but in 2014 or 2015 we very well might.

Made in Austria
12-15-2012, 17:29
I see. Sorry again. I guess I read what I wanted to read. Gunlaws and Europe make my eyes pop out of my eye socket.

Ruggles
12-15-2012, 17:55
I see. Sorry again. I guess I read what I wanted to read. Gunlaws and Europe make my eyes pop out of my eye socket.

No it was me, my sentence structure has been bad for the last two days. I need more beer, and I like Belgium beer so the whole European thing is part of the problem :supergrin:

zhix
12-15-2012, 17:59
Brownells puts AR mags on & off sale all the time.. I don't see them gouging, at least not as much as other places. I have spent a lot of money with them and have had to ****** a few times about returning items but lately their customer service has been very good. I ordered from Midway one time and they charged me separate shipping on a backordered 'sale' item, defeating the purpose of getting it at 'sale' price- most places don't charge you shipping again on backordered items, so I'll never order from Midway again.

Made in Austria
12-15-2012, 18:30
No it was me, my sentence structure has been bad for the last two days. I need more beer, and I like Belgium beer so the whole European thing is part of the problem :supergrin:

Lol. Same here. Their beer is delicious, I have to grant them that.

doublenuthin
12-20-2012, 08:10
I work for Brownells. The explanation from customer service that was posted by DJ Niner is correct. We sold 2-1/2 months worth of magazines on Monday alone. We simply didn't have any more we could sell at the reduced price - heck, we don't have many we can sell at any price. We do not gouge. We apply our standard markup to the invoice price, at all times. Everything will be tough today, we're having a blizzard and lots of people can't make it in.