OT: Newton Shows Need Stronger National Gun Laws [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OT: Newton Shows Need Stronger National Gun Laws

PsychoKnight
12-14-2012, 23:02
Forget the 2nd amendment. Not a right, but a responsibility. Need forceful gun laws to compel law-abiding, able-bodied citizens to maintain home custody and proficient handling of military long guns/handguns, following the lead of Israel and Switzerland.
Virginia Tech, Columbine, Aurora, and now Newtown, all had a no-firearms policy at the locale. Restrictive gun control won't prevent massacres, but at least compulsive and pro-permit policies will increase the likelihood of immediate and effective response. Armed educators/adult students/moviegoers in these cases might have reduced deaths to a handful instead of tens of deaths. Feel bad for all the people hurting in Newton right now.
Thanks for letting me vent, because in 1985, as a senior in high school, I visited my childhood church in L.A. chinatown in anticipation of hearing my favorite minister speak, and sat in the very first pew with my gf. I didn't get to hear him speak. As he sat 12' in front and facing me, I saw him take a 45 at point blank in the temple and then the beloved head deacon take two in the back as he began scrambling away from the pulpit, towards me. Evil bastard still had 77 rounds in 10 mags, and was on a body-count mission. I guess I was next. Literally, thank God there was an o.d. sheriff's deputy visiting w/ his 357 - nobody else pulled out anything the whole time, naturally.
After that, not so much afraid to die, more afraid to be caught helpless watching people I care about around me die.
Its gonna be the gun grabbers who will depend on us when it gets ugly, because by definition, they will be defenseless and useless. Thanks for putting up with me, these events just bring it all back. You never know when suddenly all those trips to the range will pay back in lives saved. I'm here today only because somebody chose to practice, and to pack.
peace out -

nursetim
12-14-2012, 23:16
And this has to do with reloading how?

EL_NinO619
12-14-2012, 23:26
That is why he started with OT.

dkf
12-14-2012, 23:49
CT has an AWB in place currently.(Clinton Era AWB) Notice how it did nothing to prevent anything. Food for thought.

PCJim
12-15-2012, 08:13
I read a very interesting comment yesterday in one of the CNN article's responses. The poster noted that the average age of those committing these acts was 17-30. It could very well be what our society has forced upon them. This generation has grown up with ever increasing violence in movies and video games, the internet where they sit for hours on end playing games or chatting on FB or the like, and as a result often never develop social skills for coping with problems. Everything is all for "me", and if I can't have it right now I'll throw a temper tantrum.

Don't get me wrong, as I have two children in this age group. But, the basic premise exists that not everyone comes thru the growing up process the same, and those outliers are the ones that the news media has a field day over (at the expense of the grieving families).

Gun control is absolutely not the answer, nor is registration. While I very much hate to bring this up, it is said that Hitler was able to easily accomplish his actions against the Jews by means of Germany's requirement to register guns. He knew who had them so rounding them up was a no brainer. The people were defenseless.

In this country, fortunately these misguided individuals have not resorted to much easier, far more deadly means of acting out. Everyone on this board can identify several other means using readily available household items to inflict far more damage in a crowd. Let's hope they don't think things thru.

Alcohol kills more people in this country than guns do and has far more impact on our health care costs, yet you see no one screaming out to ban alcohol. Its the same similarity as car and aircraft accidents - smaller events are accepted and basically go unnoticed, while the very rare but large event gets unbelievable news coverage. Go figure; I suppose its the only way they can boost ratings and bring in the revenues to justify their existence.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but we do need to get the message out. More controls and bans are not the answer. Moving our society back into physically socializing, teaching our children that only those that win get rewarded, pressuring the film and gaming industries to reduce the violence, and spending more time with our children instead of letting them self-babysit in front of a TV, Xbox or the internet is the path towards reducing these atrocious acts.

My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones in this tragedy, and in those before it.

WiskyT
12-15-2012, 12:20
The rpoblem is these people are nuts and we do nothing about it. %0years ago they would have been locked in a padded room. Now, they give them a few pills and a Dr. says they are fine as long as they are medicated. Of course, the stop taking their meds and go berserk.

Israel is a good example of how to handle these things. The PLO used to attack Israeli schools. Then Israel armed it's teachers. It never happened again. Only in America is the slaughter of children not enough to sober the country up enough to realize that school teachers should have a pistol.

Berto
12-15-2012, 12:44
Israel is a good example of how to handle these things. The PLO used to attack Israeli schools. Then Israel armed it's teachers. It never happened again.

First thing I said to my Sis (roomate) when I heard the news.

n2extrm
12-15-2012, 13:10
The rpoblem is these people are nuts and we do nothing about it. %0years ago they would have been locked in a padded room. Now, they give them a few pills and a Dr. says they are fine as long as they are medicated. Of course, the stop taking their meds and go berserk.

Israel is a good example of how to handle these things. The PLO used to attack Israeli schools. Then Israel armed it's teachers. It never happened again. Only in America is the slaughter of children not enough to sober the country up enough to realize that school teachers should have a pistol.

Wisky I have said the same thing so many times. Why is it the people who are screaming to "disarm the masses and ban the evil guns" are the same people who want everyone who actually committed the offense to be forgiven and released?

Makes no sense to me at all.

DoctaGlockta
12-15-2012, 14:28
Too many bad guys have guns. This will never change

Not enough good guys have guns. This needs to change

Good guys who don't have a gun should get one and learn how to responsibly use and store it.

An innocent life may depend on it one day.

For me that about sums it up.

Gun grabbers can go f' themselves.

HAMMERHEAD
12-15-2012, 14:35
Take your political crap and move it to the proper forum.

HAMMERHEAD
12-15-2012, 14:37
Just because you put OT in front of it does not make it OK.

dkf
12-15-2012, 15:50

:crying:

steve4102
12-16-2012, 21:28
Thanks for posting this PK.

EL_NinO619
12-16-2012, 22:02

I am all for staying on topic, but anyone who has been on here long enough knows every once in awhile we stray. We try to keep in to a minimum but it happens, this is almost a sub forum, GTR. I think its alright to go "OT" every now and then, Don't all friends stray to random off topic conversations..:whistling:

shotgunred
12-16-2012, 22:07

Your not a contributor to this forum so why do you care?

jmorris
12-17-2012, 07:39
As long as we are off topic, you do know that while the AWB sunset federally CT inacted it's own state level AWB. So to argue that the entire nation should follow their lead in preventing crimes like these, would be illogical at best.

dkf
12-17-2012, 09:00
As long as we are off topic, you do know that while the AWB sunset federally CT inacted it's own state level AWB. So to argue that the entire nation should follow their lead in preventing crimes like these, would be illogical at best.

Glad you brought that up. Another thing the media ignored.

If anyone wants to read CT law regarding "assault weapons".

http://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/law/firearms.htm

DoctaGlockta
12-17-2012, 15:48
I am all for staying on topic, but anyone who has been on here long enough knows every once in awhile we stray. We try to keep in to a minimum but it happens, this is almost a sub forum, GTR. I think its alright to go "OT" every now and then, Don't all friends stray to random off topic conversations..:whistling:

I'm with you El Nino. I consider the gentlemen and ladies that frequent this board upstanding individuals and I value their opinions. We have a unique crew here. I am just as happy to hear their opinion on important events as on the Lee FCD.

Boxerglocker
12-17-2012, 20:45
Israel is a good example of how to handle these things. The PLO used to attack Israeli schools. Then Israel armed it's teachers. It never happened again.

We were having dinner with one of my best shooting buddies last night and his wife. He's a school district administrator and she is a teacher. Learned something I wasn't aware of... TEXAS allows teachers to carry concealed with proper qualifications.

dkf
12-17-2012, 20:50
TEXAS allows teachers to carry concealed with proper qualifications.

Well we both learned something new.:wavey:

Boxerglocker
12-17-2012, 20:52

In case you haven't heard GTR isn't just a reloading forum. It's a community. Based on the previous topics that have come through THIS forum and the interaction and comradery that has developed here. Lot's of us including myself actually want to hear the opinions of the friends we have here. He stated OT the majority of the regulars here know what that means... now you do. If you don't like it. Simply move on.

njl
12-17-2012, 21:25

Trouble with that is that in Israel, pretty much everyone does a couple years military service, so those armed school teachers were trained by the IDF in gun handling, marksmanship, and probably martial arts. The average school teacher over here is not competent to protect their class with a firearm.

Would the US be better off if everyone did 2 years of military service?...and could the country afford to pay that many more soldiers? Israel is a small enough country/population in such hostile surroundings, that they can't afford not to have a citizenry totally separate from the military.

freakshow10mm
12-18-2012, 00:00
CT has an AWB in place currently.(Clinton Era AWB) Notice how it did nothing to prevent anything. Food for thought.
Yep. 18 years of AWB did nothing.

gwalchmai
12-18-2012, 21:42
Forget the 2nd amendment. Not a right, but a responsibility. Need forceful gun laws to compel law-abiding, able-bodied citizens to maintain home custody and proficient handling of military long guns/handguns, following the lead of Israel and Switzerland. Well, no, we really don't.

Sorry about your bad experiences, PK, but you're WAY out of line posting this stuff here. Reloaders are probably THE most responsible group among gun owners, who are among the most responsible bunch of citizens in the country.

Take this stuff to GnG or to Political (or Religious) Issues. You're only bothering people by posting it here.

RustyL
12-19-2012, 16:54
Apparently in Arkansas also. Which has a watered down version of CCW. However, my wife teaches school, public school. She knows the principle well at a private school who says there are ways to for teachers to pack and get around the laws.

We were having dinner with one of my best shooting buddies last night and his wife. He's a school district administrator and she is a teacher. Learned something I wasn't aware of... TEXAS allows teachers to carry concealed with proper qualifications.

countrygun
12-19-2012, 17:14
We are going to adopt new national laws because a single deranged individual abused a right? Millions of Americans will be denied a portion of their rights because of the actions of a nut. Yah, that is the way to make policy. Even if we put all of the "mass shooters" of the last thirty-years' they wouldn't fill a small classroom. and we should give them the power to change the rights of all of the responsible gun owners?

There isn't even a FEDERAL LAW against drunk driving, but we are going after small units of stamped and folded steel with a spring in it (magazines) to 'save lives'.

what a joke.

WiskyT
12-19-2012, 18:35
We are going to adopt new national laws because a single deranged individual abused a right? Millions of Americans will be denied a portion of their rights because of the actions of a nut. Yah, that is the way to make policy. Even if we put all of the "mass shooters" of the last thirty-years' they wouldn't fill a small classroom. and we should give them the power to change the rights of all of the responsible gun owners?

There isn't even a FEDERAL LAW against drunk driving, but we are going after small units of stamped and folded steel with a spring in it (magazines) to 'save lives'.

what a joke.

That's exactly what 51% of the country is going to do. I don't even blame bho or congress. They are symptoms, not causes. The population of this country has become enamored with the idea of joe biden heading a task force to stop violence. Don't bother telling them that biden has never accomplished a single thing in his entire life, they won't hear you over the sound of the bubbles in their bong or the screams of their video games.

dkf
12-19-2012, 18:41
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm285/SDV10/bidensuperhero_zps5b7f0988.jpg

norton
12-19-2012, 18:42
Trouble with that is that in Israel, pretty much everyone does a couple years military service, so those armed school teachers were trained by the IDF in gun handling, marksmanship, and probably martial arts. The average school teacher over here is not competent to protect their class with a firearm.

Would the US be better off if everyone did 2 years of military service?...and could the country afford to pay that many more soldiers? Israel is a small enough country/population in such hostile surroundings, that they can't afford not to have a citizenry totally separate from the military.

Believe me, the same people who are crying we must do something would be in revolt if we re instituted the draft.