200 gr SWC and Unique for .45 ACP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 200 gr SWC and Unique for .45 ACP

Ferdinandd
12-14-2012, 22:52
I tried to search the forums and have struck out so far. I have three recipes from 3 different manuals that provide highly inconsistent information about propellant charge weights of Unique with 200 grain SWC's. Alliant's online guide shows 4.4 gr min/5.4 max but doesn't show pressures associated with each weight. Lyman #49 shows 5.0 gr min/7.5 max for one LSWC type. Recipes for a slightly different SWC have the same max load, but a higher pressure associated with it.

Can anyone provide their insights or experience with charge weights for Unique under a 200 grain SWC? I think I used to shoot 5.8 grains but that was a while ago. I know that I was getting enough velocity to make major in USPSA.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

fredj338
12-15-2012, 00:05
Speer is giving you their accuracy load for a soft swaged LSWC. Lyman is giving you full range data for a hard cast LSWC. They are diff, load & shoot diff. Unique is a fine powder for lead bullet shooting, but at anything below midrange, it will burn very dirty & the vel swings will be quite large. It runs best above midrange.
So if you want soft shooting target loads, drop to W231 or better still WST. If you want ball equiv loads, then Unique is a really good choice for lead. Right @ 6gr runs about 810fps +/- in a 5". Very accurate & burns clean enough. Below that, you are better served w/ a faster powder IMO.

SDGlock23
12-15-2012, 07:14
I run brinnel 18 Missouri 200gr SWC, and I've used 6.0gr Unique with good results, but 5.0gr was so mild it almost didn't cycle the slide.

I prefer WST to Unique for most of my .45 cal (and .40cal) lead loads.

ColoCG
12-15-2012, 10:21
I use 200gr. RNFP cast bullets instead of SWC in my XD because they feed much better in it. I load those over 6 to 6.5 gr. of Unique for great accuracy and a relatively clean burn. For lighter loads I also use WST that also performs great.

Ferdinandd
12-21-2012, 21:19
Thanks for the replies. WST wasn't an option when I was last shooting .45 ACP, so I'll have to check that out. Unique being a better performer with mid+ charges is consistent with my recollection from load building years ago.

fredj338
12-21-2012, 23:10
Thanks for the replies. WST wasn't an option when I was last shooting .45 ACP, so I'll have to check that out. Unique being a better performer with mid+ charges is consistent with my recollection from load building years ago.

I've probably run 8 diff powders thru the 45acp. I keep coming back to WST for all bullet wts & styles. I do like Unique when I want +P loads. Unique easily gets you into that relm w/ good accuracy.