Very dirty/sticky 230gr lead [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Very dirty/sticky 230gr lead

busse fan
12-15-2012, 08:21
I got a big brown bag with 2000 of these bullets. Got them cheap so not complaining. I want to use them for my 45 but they are very dirty/sticky and I'm not sure I want that crap in my mags/chamber etc. Other than loading them and then individually cleaning the exposed part of the bullet are there any other options? And if I am stuck cleaning them one at a time, is there a solvent or solution or something so make this easier? The lube is on there pretty good.

Thanks for any suggestions.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/Kman338/20121215_081329_zps587dd372.jpg

Colorado4Wheel
12-15-2012, 10:33
The rule is that if you drop a lubed bullet you don't want to shoot it. It picks up dirt that will I bed in the lube and bullet and score your barrel.

DoctaGlockta
12-15-2012, 10:44
How about tumbling them and then relube?

Three-Five-Seven
12-15-2012, 10:57
Well, if the "dirt" is just excess lubricant, I'd load them then wipe off the exposed part of the bullet on the finished loads. If the "dirt" is dirt (now, that's the way to start a sentence) and if it's abrasive (i.e. soil), then I'd melt them down.

Cleaning and relubricating them is only an option if you are very, very poor.

busse fan
12-15-2012, 11:00
They were not dropped. They were put into a paper bag and had lots of time to bump into each other and rub the lube off on each other.

WiskyT
12-15-2012, 12:29
Load them. Just check your OAL because the lube is going to build up in your seater and shorten the OAL. Prolly every 100 rounds or so clean the seater out. If you have a Lee seater, just turn the stem every once in a while to "lengthen" the round. After about 500 or so you'll have run out of adjustment and then you can clean the plug of lube out of the die.

Don't make more of it than it is. If you want to make more of it than necessary, than you can buy jacketed bullets or detail each loaded round like you're going to show it at Pebble Beach.

I shoot thousands of rounds of cast bullets lubed with liquid alox (tumble lubed) and they are about like yours.

sig357fan
12-15-2012, 13:24
If you choose to clean them before reloading them then just boil them in water in an old coffee can. Once boiled the lube will float on the top of the water, let the water cool so the lube hardens and remove the lube off the top of the water before dumping the water and bullets out.

Boiling will remove all the lube even that which you would want to keep in the lube grove, so relubing will be necessary. If you’re not set up with a lubrisizer then use Lee Liquid Alox thinned with mineral spirits. LLA by itself dries pretty well but tends to stay slightly tacky, thinned with some MS tends to dry completely.

It’s been awhile since I’ve used LLA & MS but I think the way I mixed it was to remove enough LLA from the bottle to add 1 TBSP of MS, then shake the bottle to mix.

To lube the bullets I used a butter tub with a lid, put a couple of handfuls of bullets in the tub and add a small amount of the LLA & MS, put the lid on and mix, repeat if more lube was needed. Once lubed, I stood them nose up on wax paper and let them set a few minutes to allow the lube to pool at the base, then moved to another piece of wax paper to dry.

Its time consuming and messy but does work.

Sig357fan

buckshotshorty
12-15-2012, 14:08
It appears to me that they were given a regular lube and then treated with Alox or something similar. Alox does dry though and has an extraordinary smell.

If in doubt, you need to wipe off all the coating with paint thinner, then re-lube with liquid Alox.

busse fan
12-15-2012, 14:09
Thank you for the advice. Gives me some ideas.

Colorado4Wheel
12-15-2012, 16:30
They were not dropped. They were put into a paper bag and had lots of time to bump into each other and rub the lube off on each other.

Load them up then. Wipe after loading. Keep an eye on oal as the seated will build up lube in it.

fredj338
12-15-2012, 16:30
It actually looks like the lube has graphite in it or they were rolled in graphite, ugly, but ill probably shoot. Load them up, wipe the noses w/ a rag & a bit fo mineral spirits, go shoot.

WiskyT
12-15-2012, 18:35
While I've never seen them in person, if you look at Magtech component lead bullets at MidwayUSA, the pictures look similar to the OP's.

Bello
12-15-2012, 21:39
I'd use them in my revolvers

dwhite53
12-16-2012, 08:24
As others have said, they look like they've been coated with liquid alox. Use a lot of it myself, just not that thick.

If there doesn't seem to be anything gritty stuck on them I'd load them and shoot them.

Liquid alox is actually pretty good stuff. I use it thinned with mineral spirits also.

All the Best,
D. White

EL_NinO619
12-16-2012, 22:21
UGLY. I would clean a little and shoot, Actually I would re-melt.

Colorado4Wheel
12-16-2012, 22:55
If he was a caster then I don't think he would need to ask what to do. Non casters have different choices.