Need some 1911 repair advice. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need some 1911 repair advice.

jetflier1989
12-16-2012, 09:34
I recently came into posession (free) of a used Taurus PT 1911 and there are some safety issues with it mainly "hammer fall". I did a google search and apparently it's no secret with these guns (hammer fall and half cock mode). Also, I read on some of them the stock ambi safety is not properly fitted and can fail too. My intentions are to never ccw it, but I want to make it a safe shooter and because it was free I don't mind throwing a few bucks into it. Selling the gun and sending it back to Taurus are not options. I don't want to deal with an overseas company for repair and the later is for obvious reasons.

Ok, from what i've read (I'm no pro) the hammer fall is associated with the hammer, sear, and sear spring so those parts will most likely need to be replaced, most recommend Wilson Combat RP's. I will probably replace the safety while i'm at it too just to be on the safe side.

With all this in mind what ohter work would you guys have done if it was yours? (I will also speak with the LGS who I don't know all that well but comes highly recommended) to make it a solid, safe combat shooter. Not a precise target gun.

Also, Like I mentioned above I don't mind putting a few bucks into it.. say in the $400 to $500 range as I probably can not buy a quality 1911 for that anyways. I would like to drop it off to the GS once and be done. Thanks.

MD357
12-16-2012, 10:27
Get a C&S, EGW, ignition kit or something of the like. Pick a quality safety again C&S, EGW, Wilson, Brown etc..... depends on your preference. I'd start from there and eventually go through all the slide parts too, not as much as priority IMO though.

jetflier1989
12-16-2012, 11:25
Get a C&S, EGW, ignition kit or something of the like. Pick a quality safety again C&S, EGW, Wilson, Brown etc..... depends on your preference. I'd start from there and eventually go through all the slide parts too, not as much as priority IMO though.

Thanks a lot MD357! I checked several places and the C&S kit appears to be out of stock. I was able to piece one together through Ed Brown that came to $153.70. But that included a full spring rebuild too. If this is all I need in parts??..combined with the labor to fit. It should be in my price range. Is it better to check with the GS prior or go with parts in hand? Thanks.

MD357
12-16-2012, 12:05
Double tap.

MD357
12-16-2012, 12:05
Thanks a lot MD357! I checked several places and the C&S kit appears to be out of stock. I was able to piece one together through Ed Brown that came to $153.70. But that included a full spring rebuild too. If this is all I need in parts??..combined with the labor to fit. It should be in my price range. Is it better to check with the GS prior or go with parts in hand? Thanks.

How hard did you look? Brownells has several different ones in stock and you can go to C&S directly.

As far as labor that is up to your GS, some of them can be REALLY stubborn and set in their ways so I'd definitely check. If they won't use something like a C&S then I'd walk away.

GlockRik
12-16-2012, 12:10
if you're using a good gunsmith, go with what he suggests. he's going to fit the parts anyway, so I wouldn't spend extra for a fitted package, which may need fitting anyway.

jmo,
Rik

AK74play
12-16-2012, 12:55
I bought a new Stainless Taurus a few years back and I absolutly hate ambi safties so the first thing I did was replace it with a Wilson single side extended safty. Removed all the series 80 firing pin safty crap and the hammer would occasionally fall to half cock on slide release. Adjusted the torque on the sear spring a bit and it has been flawless for several thousand round ever since. It is a suprisingly accurate pistol so I have no intention of ever letting it go. It's been 100% reliable, accurate and eats anything you want to shove in it. Personally, I agree with most (that have truely experienced one) and not just relying on internet BS, they a lot of time need a bit of tweeking right out of the box. If you like ambi safties, deep six the POS that came in the gun, it really is crapola, with something like a Kimber unit. They are an excellent design and very well built. Anyone familiar with the mechanical operation of the 1911 can quickly and cheaply make those pistols and dependable, safe and accurate as many costin a whole lot more. I wouldn't hesitate for a second buying another. I also love the straight eight white dot sights. Wish all my 1911's had them.
Taurus in my experience has always had excellent customer service. I have had them send me parts that I told them over the phone exactly how I destroyed the one that came in the gun and they still sent it to me free of charge. Now I'm talking small parts like springs and such.

jetflier1989
12-16-2012, 13:05
How hard did you look? Brownells has several different ones in stock and you can go to C&S directly.

I checked Brownells (none) and C&S which was out of stock. I even Googled the kit and came upon the Ed Brown site/parts. With a full spring kit it was only $20 more so no biggie. You were a big help because at the least I have some prices in my head on what this might cost. Thanks again.

if you're using a good gunsmith, go with what he suggests. he's going to fit the parts anyway, so I wouldn't spend extra for a fitted package, which may need fitting anyway.jmo,Rik

Ok. I like that idea. Thanks.

Jim Watson
12-16-2012, 13:20
What do you mean by "hammer fall?"
Are you slamming the slide on an empty chamber?
That is not good with any 1911.

Is the hammer following the slide when loading or shooting?

If so, Rik is right.
Every aftermarket vendor has his own ideas, and your gunsmith might have a brand he is accustomed to working with. Also it lets him make a buck instead of you showing up with a sack of parts to install.

jetflier1989
12-16-2012, 13:46
What do you mean by "hammer fall?"
Are you slamming the slide on an empty chamber?
That is not good with any 1911.

Good question: Actually I was showing it to a friend who slammed it home empty! (thought it was his Glock or something) However, I'm glad the problem was discovered when the gun was unloaded and nobody was injured. Now time to fix it.
After it comes back repaired from the GS the next safety check will be pointed down range. At the range!

countrygun
12-16-2012, 13:47
I bought a new Stainless Taurus a few years back and I absolutly hate ambi safties so the first thing I did was replace it with a Wilson single side extended safty. Removed all the series 80 firing pin safty crap and the hammer would occasionally fall to half cock on slide release. Adjusted the torque on the sear spring a bit and it has been flawless for several thousand round ever since. It is a suprisingly accurate pistol so I have no intention of ever letting it go. It's been 100% reliable, accurate and eats anything you want to shove in it. Personally, I agree with most (that have truely experienced one) and not just relying on internet BS, they a lot of time need a bit of tweeking right out of the box. If you like ambi safties, deep six the POS that came in the gun, it really is crapola, with something like a Kimber unit. They are an excellent design and very well built. Anyone familiar with the mechanical operation of the 1911 can quickly and cheaply make those pistols and dependable, safe and accurate as many costin a whole lot more. I wouldn't hesitate for a second buying another. I also love the straight eight white dot sights. Wish all my 1911's had them.
Taurus in my experience has always had excellent customer service. I have had them send me parts that I told them over the phone exactly how I destroyed the one that came in the gun and they still sent it to me free of charge. Now I'm talking small parts like springs and such.

Same boat here. My wife gave me a Taurus as a present and I have waited until it passed the "range period" to deal with
the &*)*& "Ambi safety" . "bout time to order a replacement.

Rinspeed
12-16-2012, 15:20
Thanks a lot MD357! I checked several places and the C&S kit appears to be out of stock.

There are all kinds of different places to buy them. Harrison Design and Berryhill Custom both carry the same parts as the C&S sets. They are not actually made by C&S anyways they are made by a company in California called Extreme Engineering.