We knew it was coming. Only a matter of time. Feinstein to intro new AWB. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : We knew it was coming. Only a matter of time. Feinstein to intro new AWB.

opto_isolator
12-16-2012, 10:53
Just saw this on the Huffington post rag. Her bill plans to outlaw new rifles and limit magazine size....

beforeobamabans
12-16-2012, 11:53
Just saw this on the Huffington post rag. Her bill plans to outlaw new rifles and limit magazine size....
Yup, saw Durbin on Fox saying the same thing. We shall see if Boehner and the House have any guts left.

Cavalry Doc
12-16-2012, 12:09
CT HAS an assault weapons ban and a 2 week waiting period. Neither stopped the tragedy. (http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&Q=494616&desppNav_GID=2080)

Elections have consequences.

steveksux
12-16-2012, 12:12
Who's the Dem who introduces an AWB bill every session? Wasn't that Feinstein? Or someone else?

ETA: http://www.lowellsun.com/news/ci_22199247/assault-weapons-ban-legislative-history-bills

Feinstein has introduced something similar a number of times, also McCarthy. Biden did also. Interestingly enough, turns out a Republican introduced one in 2008.

None have gone anywhere. None followed on the heels of such a heartwrenching tragedy though. Hopefully cooler heads prevail.

Randy

sbhaven
12-16-2012, 12:49
CT HAS an assault weapons ban and a 2 week waiting period. Neither stopped the tragedy. (http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&Q=494616&desppNav_GID=2080)

Elections have consequences.
Yes they do. I do expect however that our local politicians may cave next time around on a magazine ban if/when one is introduced next year.

It's worth noting that the usual suspects always reference the Brady Campaign. Well according to the brady bunch CT is ranked 5th (http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/stateleg/scorecard/2011/2011_Brady_Campaign_State_Scorecard_Rankings.pdf) behind NY, NJ, MA and CA as having the best gun control laws.

For those interested you can see many of CT's firearm statutes and office of legal research reports at this link (http://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/law/firearms.htm).

TxGun
12-16-2012, 12:52
I hate to say it:

I think there is no doubt this tragedy will cause a seachange in how the average person sees guns and the need to "control" them. People who have ardently supported 2nd Amendment rights up to now are very likely going to be a little less ardent, a little less vocal. My expectation is that there WILL be new guns laws inacted...how far-reaching is the issue. Even the Supremes have said that, while the 2nd A's "militia" means "the people", some controls would be permissible in the context of the 2nd's intention. Boehner and the Republicans will likely not be able to withstand the pressure because they will look around and see too many of their own constituents writing and marching against guns. They will lose support around the edges of the party such that they will lose the overall majority and there will be enough votes for more control.

A few out-of-control crazies have caused support for one of this country's cherished individual rights to erode. And, sadly, I think that trend will continue because we seem to be breeding more irresponsible idiots every year, a % of whom eventually do something incomprehensible with a gun and turn more of the populace away from us. This is not our fathers' America any more. JMHOs, of course.

mj9mm
12-16-2012, 12:55
republicans have been caving on everthing lately. but these kind of laws have never stopped criminal activity

steveksux
12-16-2012, 13:05
I hate to say it:

I think there is no doubt this tragedy will cause a seachange in how the average person sees guns and the need to "control" them. People who have ardently supported 2nd Amendment rights up to now are very likely going to be a little less ardent, a little less vocal. My expectation is that there WILL be new guns laws inacted...how far-reaching is the issue. Even the Supremes have said that, while the 2nd A's "militia" means "the people", some controls would be permissible in the context of the 2nd's intention. Boehner and the Republicans will likely not be able to withstand the pressure because they will look around and see too many of their own constituents writing and marching against guns. They will lose support around the edges of the party such that they will lose the overall majority and there will be enough votes for more control.

A few out-of-control crazies have caused support for one of this country's cherished individual rights to erode. And, sadly, I think that trend will continue because we seem to be breeding more irresponsible idiots every year, a % of whom eventually do something incomprehensible with a gun and turn more of the populace away from us. This is not our fathers' America any more. JMHOs, of course.

I think you are wrong. The right to carry has been expanding, not contracting. There have been far too many mass shootings, schools, theaters, since FL started the conceal carry revolution way back when. The AWB was allowed to sunset, and was not reinstated. SCOTUS has finally come out and said RTKBA is an individual right, after decades of sidestepping the issue, or ruling it is NOT an individual right.

So your one premise is demonstrably false, the right has been expanding, not eroding.

You may be right insofar as this incident may have the potential to turn that progress around, I would not argue against that. I hope you are wrong. I think its too early to tell.

Randy

pugman
12-16-2012, 13:12
Ban guns of all types tomorrow and when something like this happens again they will just move to the next "cause" like video games which I really think would be the next target.

Cavalry Doc
12-16-2012, 13:16
Ban guns of all types tomorrow and when something like this happens again they will just move to the next "cause" like video games which I really think would be the next target.

Unfortunately, when they are busy going after the video games, we would all be at the mercy of armed criminals who didn't give theirs up.

Kinda late then. Write your representatives today.

pugman
12-16-2012, 13:18
Unfortunately, when they are busy going after the video games, we would all be at the mercy of armed criminals who didn't give theirs up.

Kinda late then. Write your representatives today.

Already gave up mine...see I was fishin' one day and...

Cavalry Doc
12-16-2012, 13:19
Already gave up mine...see I was fishin' one day and...

Sorry about your loss. :whistling:

Ruble Noon
12-16-2012, 13:27
I think you are wrong. The right to carry has been expanding, not contracting. There have been far too many mass shootings, schools, theaters, since FL started the conceal carry revolution way back when. The AWB was allowed to sunset, and was not reinstated. SCOTUS has finally come out and said RTKBA is an individual right, after decades of sidestepping the issue, or ruling it is NOT an individual right.

So your one premise is demonstrably false, the right has been expanding, not eroding.

You may be right insofar as this incident may have the potential to turn that progress around, I would not argue against that. I hope you are wrong. I think its too early to tell.

Randy

:goodpost:

TxGun
12-16-2012, 13:41

Randy

I fervently hope you're right Randy. But again, I doubt it. I do think a seachange in the majority's attitude about gun rights may be coming. This one really hit people in the gut....all those kids. It's emotional and I suspect it's going make a strong imprint on many for quite some time...an imprint that leads them to support more controls.
The antis will use those kids' images shamelessly for months, maybe years. And some parents will allow them to do it because they want "something" done and may not be in the mindset to think it through. Those images are powerful.

barbedwiresmile
12-16-2012, 13:49
I hope she bans the shoulder thing that goes up. For the children's sake.

steveksux
12-16-2012, 15:00
I fervently hope you're right Randy. But again, I doubt it. I do think a seachange in the majority's attitude about gun rights may be coming. This one really hit people in the gut....all those kids. It's emotional and I suspect it's going make a strong imprint on many for quite some time...an imprint that leads them to support more controls.
The antis will use those kids' images shamelessly for months, maybe years. And some parents will allow them to do it because they want "something" done and may not be in the mindset to think it through. Those images are powerful.
I agree, this is different from the others, has way more emotional impact.

I think as time passes that will dull somewhat though, and seeing as how CT already has an AWB, and in addition this guy had mental issues (wondering if they were of the sort that would preclude him from getting a gun under current law? Something to verify), that will deflate the argument that more gun control might have prevented this. We don't have to speculate, they had it, it did not.

The one thing that was not tried which they could argue might have made a difference is a total ban on gun ownership. I see no way in hell THAT has any chance of passing the GOP controlled house. Very little chance that would have pass even in the Democratically controlled Senate either. Too big of a change, they don't have the cojones to try that. Even if by some miracle they did, SCOTUS has already shot that idea down in DC, ownership cannot be banned, and the Chicago case in Fed court has done the same in Chicago to absolute carry bans, and will be set in stone nationwide if it goes to SCOTUS. Constitutional amendment would be required to change that.

Feinstein will propose an AWB bill, it will get lip service and may even get voted on instead of ignored like all her other AWB bills. Doubt even that would pass the Senate, although wouldn't bet against it after this tragedy. House, no way.

Not sure if Obama would sign it. Being from Chicago and Hawaii, he's comfortable with restrictive gun laws, so he may be inclined to. He would not want to poison the election for the next set of Democrats to run though, he's pragmatic. For instance, he did sign a bill allowing carry in National Parks (Forests?), although as a rider to another bill. Shows he's not dead set against it, a single issue vetoer if you will.

So I think its far from a foregone conclusion that an AWB will be passed as a result of this. Having said that, it's far from certain there won't be one as well. It's too early to tell, it will depend on who's the more skillful at manipulating public opinion in the coming months. They have the advantage at this point with the media to transmit their narrative, and a horrible tragedy to base the narrative on.

Randy

nmstew
12-16-2012, 15:12
I hate to say it:

I predict it will go the other way actually.

When I was in High school in the 90s people said I was in a militia because I went shooting with a shooting group.

Now those same people have ARs and handguns of their own and even ask me for advice on them. I went to a gun show in May after Obama got elected the first time. The place was packed butts to nuts and I don't even think the convention center had a floor because I never got to see it. I think seeing things like this happen the casual pro-gun American buys all they can. What we need to do is convince them to in addition to buying ARs and magazines, send money to the NRA-ILA to try to avert the madness in the first place, and write their elected officials to be counted.

PBR Sailor
12-16-2012, 15:22
This is nothing new. Fienstein started this crap on November 7th right after she knew that Obama had won the Presidential race.

Ruble Noon
12-16-2012, 15:50
Why would the government want to ban weapons? You'd think that with all their fear and all the bills that they are passing to combat "terrorism' that they'd want the populace to have the latest and greatest weaponry. Has the "terror" threat ended and can we look forward to the repeal of all the spying laws that they passed in the name of combating "terrorism"?

PBR Sailor
12-16-2012, 15:56
Why would the government want to ban weapons? You'd think that with all their fear and all the bills that they are passing to combat "terrorism' that they'd want the populace to have the latest and greatest weaponry. Has the "terror" threat ended and can we look forward to the repeal of all the spying laws that they passed in the name of combating "terrorism"?

Control over U.S. citizens is a higher priority than fighting terrorism at this time. Hopefully priorities will shift after the next election in 4 years.

beforeobamabans
12-16-2012, 17:02
Just watched the replay of MTP. Feinstein in her full glory. If I didn't hear wrong, I believe she said that future ownership of AWs would be outlawed. In other words, if you don't currently own one, it will be illegal for you ever own one. Also noted that the two Republicans, Bennett and Ridge, are full-song in favor of AWB. The president of the American Teachers Federation steadfast against "any more guns in our schools" I.e., armed security. They want to go after guns, privacy laws hiding metal illness and video games. A huge liberty grab...

Fear Night
12-16-2012, 18:18
Just watched the replay of MTP. Feinstein in her full glory. If I didn't hear wrong, I believe she said that future ownership of AWs would be outlawed. In other words, if you don't currently own one, it will be illegal for you ever own one. Also noted that the two Republicans, Bennett and Ridge, are full-song in favor of AWB. The president of the American Teachers Federation steadfast against "any more guns in our schools" I.e., armed security. They want to go after guns, privacy laws hiding metal illness and video games. A huge liberty grab...
Yeah, I'm still trying to make sense of her comments. I know she wants "no grandfathering," but does that mean pre-ban items will be illegal to possess? She already says no sales or transfers whatsoever, so that would be a given that if you don't already own one, you won't be able to obtain one legally.

What does she mean by "possession will be banned, not retroactively but prospectively"? If she is calling for confiscation, I think she will have a rude awakening getting this pushed through the House.
“I’m going to introduce in the Senate and the same bill will be introduced in the House, a bill to ban assault weapons. It will ban the sale, the transfer, the importation and the possession. Not retroactively but prospectively. And it will ban the same for big clips, drums or strips of more than 10 bullets. So there will be a bill. We’ve been working on it now for a year,” Feinstein said on NBC’s “Meet The Press” during a discussion about guns following Friday’s deadly mass shooting as a Connecticut school.

See the video here:
http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/16/15945357-top-democrat-will-seek-new-gun-law-in-next-congress?lite

oldman11
12-16-2012, 18:36
republicans have been caving on everthing lately. but these kind of laws have never stopped criminal activity
Yeah, you're right. As a matter of fact they have increased criminal activity. Good example is this shooting in Connecticut. This was a "Gun Free Zone" and as you know a Gun Free Zone is an open kill zone.

cowboy1964
12-16-2012, 19:16

Anyone know then how this lady teacher legally owned the Bushmaster?

Chuck TX
12-16-2012, 19:25

Nobody likes armed peasants.

Fear Night
12-16-2012, 21:55
Yeah, you're right. As a matter of fact they have increased criminal activity. Good example is this shooting in Connecticut. This was a "Gun Free Zone" and as you know a Gun Free Zone is an open kill zone.
Not only that, CT already has an Assault Weapons Ban in place. So let's implement a nationwide AWB to stop more shootings like the one in CT. Wait, what? :steamed:

Liberal logic.

Fear Night
12-16-2012, 22:04
Grandfathering I'm guessing. She obtained the gun before the ban was in place.

Ruble Noon
12-17-2012, 05:35
I hope they don't ban the shoulder thing that goes up again because I still haven't found one.

sbhaven
12-17-2012, 08:48
The murderer's mother went out and legally bought it at a local gun shop, from an FFL, or via a face to face sale. Per CT's AWB (http://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/Chap943.htm#Sec53-202a.htm) only Bushmaster firearms that are named "Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol" are banned. All other Bushmaster rifles are legal so long as they follow the guidelines in our AWB and get neutered of their scary evil cosmetic features.

sbhaven
12-17-2012, 08:52
http://granitegrok.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/liberal-logic-101-TavisSmiley.jpg

ModGlock17
12-17-2012, 09:07
I hope they don't ban the shoulder thing that goes up again because I ......

If you can't get it up, that's a different problem. LOL

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)