Questions from the ignorant. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Questions from the ignorant.

nikerret
12-16-2012, 12:00
If I buy a complete upper and a complete lower, I will have a complete firearm, correct?

If not, what else do I need?

It looks like I can save a few hundred dollars going that way...

XDRoX
12-16-2012, 12:07
Most of the complete lowers that I've seen have everything you'll need. But many of the uppers don't come with a bolt carrier group or charging handle. BCG's are anywhere from $80 to $200 and charging handles cost $10-$40.

So just check to see if the upper comes with a BCG.

WoodenPlank
12-16-2012, 12:27
Most of the complete lowers that I've seen have everything you'll need. But many of the uppers don't come with a bolt carrier group or charging handle. BCG's are anywhere from $80 to $200 and charging handles cost $10-$40.

So just check to see if the upper comes with a BCG.

Yep. Some complete lowers are sold without a stock, as well, or come with a very basic M4 type stock.

Make sure you get a quality bolt carrier broup. The BCG and barrel are the heart of the rifle - one of those being poorly made or out of spec can induce all kinda of problems.

nikerret
12-16-2012, 14:35
I'm looking at this:

http://www.lmtstore.com/monolithic-rail-platforms-mrp-cqb/standard-flattop-top-end-16-semi-auto.html

...with one of these:

http://www.lmtstore.com/lower-halves/defender-lower-with-sopmod-stock-and-two-stage-trigger.html

...or one of the other options:

Defender lower with SOPMOD stock and standard trigger, Defender lower with Gen 2 collapsable stock and two stage trigger, or the Defender lower with Gen 2 stock and standard trigger.

I'm also trying to figure out which upper and lower comes with the STD 16 and the SPM 16 (or what fully assembled rifle has the upper I've been looking at).

ddbtoth
12-16-2012, 15:27
If you got those two items-you will still need a BCG, CH, and a rear sight. Since you are not buying a completed rifle, you don't have to pay that extra tax. Can't go wrong with a LMT though.

nikerret
12-16-2012, 15:57
Isn't the BCG="standard semi auto bolt group"? If so, it's included in the upper.

And doesn't CH="charging handle"? If so, it's in the upper.

http://www.lmtstore.com/monolithic-rail-platforms-mrp-cqb/standard-flattop-top-end-16-semi-auto.html

The rear sight (the one that comes with the completed rifles) is listed at $119. Plus, they come with a sling, a swivel, and a 30rd mag. Not sure which sling or mag, but I'm guessing it's worth about $60, not counting the sight.

Is the extra tax on completed rifles included in the price, or is it applied at checkout?

WoodenPlank
12-16-2012, 16:44
Isn't the BCG="standard semi auto bolt group"? If so, it's included in the upper.

And doesn't CH="charging handle"? If so, it's in the upper.

The rear sight (the one that comes with the completed rifles) is listed at $119. Plus, they come with a sling, a swivel, and a 30rd mag. Not sure which sling or mag, but I'm guessing it's worth about $60, not counting the sight.

Is the extra tax on completed rifles included in the price, or is it applied at checkout?

Federal excise tax is built into the price.

LMT makes good stuff, although I'm mildly annoyed with them due to some of their pricing changes. Check out Bravo Company as well.

XDRoX
12-16-2012, 16:47
Federal excise tax is built into the price.

LMT makes good stuff, although I'm mildly annoyed with them due to some of their pricing changes. Check out Bravo Company as well.

I agree. For those prices I'd just get a BCM upper and build a lower to your exact liking.

nikerret
12-16-2012, 17:33
Looking at BCM, which would have to be ordered and much is out of stock, right now, getting the cheapest upper ($439) with the cheapest BCG ($130) with the cheapest CH ($23) with the cheapest complete lower ($360 w/o a stock, but out of stock); I come to around $952 plus any shipping and FFL fees. The better CH is $22 more.

The prices on the LMT are:

Complete rifles:
SPM16-$1090+sales tax The Defender Standard Model 16 features a standard flattop upper receiver with 16" chrome lined 1:7" twist 5.56 barrel, standard semi-auto bolt carrier group, tactical charging handle assembly, Defender lower with Generation 2 collapsing buttstock and standard trigger group. Ships with a sling, operators manual, tactical adjustable rear sight, and (1) thirty round magazine. A2 birdcage compensator. 1/2 X 28 thread pitch. Cryogenically treated barrel to increase accuracy, barrel life and easier cleaning. Electronically tested and recorded trigger pull. Weight Empty 6.2 lbs

STD16-$1200+sales tax The Defender Standard Model 16 features a standard flattop upper receiver with 16" chrome lined 1:7" twist 5.56 barrel, standard semi-auto bolt carrier group, tactical charging handle assembly, Defender lower with SOPMOD buttstock and standard trigger group. Ships with a sling, operators manual, tactical adjustable rear sight, (1) heavy duty push button swivel (included as of 2011 orders) and (1) thirty round magazine. Direct gas impingement. Overall length with SOPMOD collapsed: 33.25". Overall length with SOPMOD extended: 36.25". A2 Birdcage Compensator. 1/2 X 28 thread pitch. Cryogenically treated barrel to increase accuracy, barrel life and easier cleaning. Electronically tested and recorded trigger pull

CQB MRP (CQB16)-$1500+sales tax The CQB MRP™ Defender Model 16 features a CQB MRP™ upper receiver with 16" chrome lined 1:7" twist 5.56 barrel, standard semi auto bolt carrier group, tactical charging handle assembly, Defender lower with SOPMOD buttstock and standard trigger group. Ships with a sling, operators manual, tactical adjustable rear sight, tactical front sight, (1) thirty round magazine, (2) heavy duty push button swivels(included as of 2011 orders), torque wrench / driver and (3) rail panels. Only one with rails on foregrip. Direct Gas Impingement. Overall length with SOPMOD collapsed: 33". Overall length with SOPMOD extended: 36". A2 Birdcage compensator. 1/2 X 28 thread pitch. Low profile gas black. Cryogenically treated barrel to increase accuracy, barrel life and easier cleaning. 5 QD Sling Swivel attachment points. Electronically tested and recorded trigger pull Weight empty 6.8 lbs

Differences in BOLD

Self-Assembled (all using same upper, the one found on the first two listed above):

16" Upper with L7C2 Lower-$990+sales tax Standard flattop upper receiver with 16" chrome lined 1:7 twist 5.56 barrel, standard semi auto bolt group, charging handle and handguards; upper. Complete lower receiver which includes: Semi Auto Standard Trigger, Collapsing Buttstock and Ergo Pistol Grip; lower.

16" Upper with L7H2 Lower-$1064+sales tax Standard flattop upper receiver with 16" chrome lined 1:7 twist 5.56 barrel, standard semi auto bolt group, charging handle and handguards; upper. Complete lower receiver which includes: Semi Auto 2 Stage Trigger, Collapsing Buttstock and Ergo Pistol Grip; lower.

16" Upper with L7LB2 Lower-$1097+sales tax Standard flattop upper receiver with 16" chrome lined 1:7 twist 5.56 barrel, standard semi auto bolt group, charging handle and handguards; upper. Complete lower receiver which includes: semi auto standard trigger, SOPMOD buttstock, heavy duty push button swivel and Ergo pistol grip; lower.

16" Upper with L7E2 Lower-$1161+sales tax Standard flattop upper receiver with 16" chrome lined 1:7 twist 5.56 barrel, standard semi auto bolt group, charging handle and handguards; upper. Complete lower receiver which includes: semi auto two stage trigger, heavy duty push button swivel, SOPMOD buttstock and Ergo pistol grip; lower.

Differences in BOLD
Add $119 for rear sight.

That's what's in stock, that I can have by the end of the week.

WoodenPlank
12-16-2012, 17:49
You could save a little money by getting a non-BCM lower. You can also hunt around and find BCM complete rifle (sans rear sight) for around $1,000. Someone started a thread here just a couple days ago about the BCM he got for around that price.