.348 Win Data NOT From Hodgdon [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .348 Win Data NOT From Hodgdon

Bringsteen
12-16-2012, 13:17
I posted this in a different forum and got some good ideas, but I'm wondering if anyone here has some feedback.

I have been working up some loads for my Winchester 71 chambered in .348 Winchester. Hornady now makes a Flex-Tip bullet for it. For an old/weird cartridge, it is a good performer. I've made some loads using H4350. They're pretty fast and accurate, but I'm looking for more.

My problem is that I can't find reloading data using powder from anywhere but the Hodgdon family. Winchester, Hodgdon, and IMR data are all that I can find. I even purchased the 9th Edition of the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading specifically for .348 data, but all they show are Winchester, Hodgdon, and IMR data as well. The Lyman Reloading book has some data, but they appear to be a bit older.

I have gone to the other propellant websites to look for data, but was unsuccessful.

Does anyone have .348 Win. data that they'd care to share that uses powder from Alliant, Accurate Arms, Norma, VihtaVuori, Ramshot, or any others? This cartridge is too interesting to have such a narrow range of propellant options.

My goal is to find some loads using the newer powders that would safely increase maximum velocity. Other older cartridges like the .30-30 have been really brought up to speed recently, and I'd like to do that with my .348.

Zombie Steve
12-16-2012, 22:42
I'm not sure I understand... Lyman 49 has only a 200 grain bullet, but it lists 4 VihtaVouri powders, 2 from Alliant, AA2700 data...

What new powder do you want to use?

Bringsteen
12-17-2012, 11:40
I'm not sure I understand... Lyman 49 has only a 200 grain bullet, but it lists 4 VihtaVouri powders, 2 from Alliant, AA2700 data...

What new powder do you want to use?

Well, it's more that I want to know whether any of the new propellants are viable options for the .348 Winchester. For example, Alliant Power Pro is a new family of powders. It is likely that Alliant hasn't even tested the relevant one in .348 simply because it's a rare cartridge and they don't think that they would sell much powder for it. This is a powder I am curious about.