Ok I told yall [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ok I told yall

RustyL
12-16-2012, 14:31
the dumbazz questions are coming. I'm looking at HODGDON UNIVERSAL powder for SHOTGUN and HANDGUN.
For 9mm Lugar it says...Charge...5.0, 115. gr.GDHP, Case...Win., Primer...CCI 500, C.O.L. 1.125, 1149 Velocity, this is what is on the container.

I have a Lee pro 1000, it says to use CCI or Winchester primers. Why can't I use Federal primers?
Why can't I use a mixture of casings that I bought from, ONCEFIRED?
I know there has to be different recipes. Do I need to go strictly by the book? Not mix anything.

Kentguy
12-16-2012, 14:41
RustyL..."Do I need to go strictly by the book? Not mix anything."

For 9mm using Hodgdon Universal you can use any of your good clean brass casings (new or used). I have successfully tested 9mm loads using both 115g & 124g bullets with Remington, Winchester, Federal & CCI primers alike.

Hodgdon Universal is a "medium" burning powder which means you can use it for a large amount of calibers and bullet sizes. The only trait of this powder that i have found is that it seems to run better in the med/high range of test charges - similar to Alliant Unique.

countrygun
12-16-2012, 14:53
If you are below a max load you will probably be fine using a mixed batch of cases. If I am working with a cal that is new to me, I generally like to stick to one manufacturer as I start approaching maximum load so I have a consistent set of components to spot any pressure signs.

Read your Lee "Modern Reloading" about the primers. Lee has found that some primers are more apt to chain detonate than others. They feel safest with the brands the recommend. They have changed their hand priming tool recently to alleviate this problem.

Colorado4Wheel
12-16-2012, 14:55
I mix and match primers/bullets and casings all the time when I am finding a starting load. So data may use federal primers and I will use CCI. Cases don't make a huge difference if they are Speer, FC or Winchester. Some of the others are kinda different. I will use JHP data as JHP starting point . Even as FMJ starting point. Just load it a little longer. As I work it up I will compare my load with velocity on a chrono. A good Medium speed powder will produce Midrange velocity (for your gun) very safely. So just start low (where gun doesn't cycle well) and work it up.

Kentguy
12-16-2012, 15:01
RustyL..."For 9mm Lugar it says...Charge...5.0, 115. gr.GDHP, Case...Win., Primer...CCI 500, C.O.L. 1.125, 1149 Velocity, this is what is on the container."

Speer is using a 4" barrel to test these, which is where they come up with that velocity number (1,149 fps), that's the same as a G19.

To put that in perspective a box of Factory ammo looks like this;
Federal Factory Ammunition
115g RN FMJ
Velocity - Box listed @ 1,160 fps.
OAL - 1.150"

Although these are not HP bullets comparing Factory ammo to book numbers will give you a bit more info to help you in your own tests.

I personally found that my 9mm pistols like the OAL of 1.135" with most of the powder's I have tested even Hodgdon Universal. Now this is with 115g FMJ RN bullet not a HP, but If you start low and work your way up and/or test OAL moving up no more that .005" at a time you will find what your gun likes best.

Good luck and be safe

fredj338
12-16-2012, 15:25
As long as you stay off max loads, mixed brass is fine. The reason Lee does NOT recommend Fed primers is they have had detonations in their priming systems w/ the more sensative Fed primers. You of course can roll the dice & use what you like.

F106 Fan
12-16-2012, 15:37
I have a Lee pro 1000, it says to use CCI or Winchester primers. Why can't I use Federal primers?

Federal primers are thought to be more sensitive than others. I guess if Lee is worried about their press with Federal primers, you should be too!

That's not entirely fair - from either perspective.

You will note that Federal primers are packaged a little different than others. There is more space around each primer.

I wonder if there was a lawsuit with Federal and Lee coming out on the losing end.

You can certainly mess up bad enough to cause a chainfire of primers and some presses may make it easier than others but the most commonly cited example is from a Dillon press and I don't know which primers were used.

So, here we are! A lot of people buy Federal primers and some of them must be using Lee presses. Lee is the low cost leader in equipment and Federal primers are the first to go out of stock. Somebody is using them!

You have a choice to make and nobody can make it for you. Do you absolutely follow the instructions (perhaps the safest alternative) or do you just ignore them and move along.

I use Federal primers almost exclusively. I am not the least bit concerned about them. OTOH, I don't know anything about Lee presses. Maybe there's a specific reason.

Richard

WiskyT
12-16-2012, 16:06
Lee says it's a safety issue, that Win and CCI are less likley to be set off during the loading process. I tried CCI a couple of decades ago and found that they took longer to flip in the flipper than Win. So I switched to Win and never bothered to try anything else.

While I never ran out of primers, Win seems to be the least likely to be out of stock, so that is another reason I just keep on trucking with Win primers.

I never bothered to note the brand of primer when looking at data, just the type (magnum or standard).

RustyL
12-16-2012, 19:56
Thanks fellows, I still have a few days to go before I start reloading. I'm getting everything together

Uncle Don
12-17-2012, 05:55
I don't think it's that CCI and Win are less sensitive to multiple detonation, but rather that if they do, the damage stays far more contained to the actual primer going off and a couple more. As I understand it, the same quantity of Federals going off results in a far more violent explosion because they will all go in a chain reaction.

That said - I think Fedrals are fine in Lee's Safety prime (or of course individuall) because the rest of the primers are more seperated than they are in an autoloader system.

steve4102
12-17-2012, 06:42
the dumbazz questions are coming. I'm looking at HODGDON UNIVERSAL powder for SHOTGUN and HANDGUN.
For 9mm Lugar it says...Charge...5.0, 115. gr.GDHP, Case...Win., Primer...CCI 500, C.O.L. 1.125, 1149 Velocity, this is what is on the container.

Understand that the 5.0gr charge listed in the container is a MAX charge. Go here to find more complete data and a "Start" charge.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

tomdeck44
12-17-2012, 07:06
I currently have 2000/9 MM 124 gr. FMJ bullets and the only recipe I can find uses WSF powder.

My question is can I use a recipe for the 125 gr. FMJ bullet that has many different powders that you can use.

HexHead
12-17-2012, 07:18
If you're using the recipe on the bottle, be sure to start 10% lighter and work up from there.

Kentguy
12-17-2012, 08:54
tomdeck44,

Check your other post.

Colorado4Wheel
12-17-2012, 10:08
I currently have 2000/9 MM 124 gr. FMJ bullets and the only recipe I can find uses WSF powder.

My question is can I use a recipe for the 125 gr. FMJ bullet that has many different powders that you can use.

Yes. Start low, work it up. 1gr makes zero difference.

fredj338
12-17-2012, 10:21

Yes it is acceptable to use 124gr data for 125gr bullets. You can also use data for 124gr JHP, but the OAL will be diff. As noted, you always want to work up your loads, never just plug into the max data.

Uncle Don
12-17-2012, 11:41
Yes. Start low, work it up. 1gr makes zero difference.

Of course CFW is talking about 0 difference as it relates to bullet weight, don't assume the same for powder weight because that can make a big difference, especially when dealing with small case capacities.