RCBS Collet bullet puller - need help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Collet bullet puller - need help

Kwesi
12-16-2012, 14:25
I've never had an issue before pulling the FMJ bullets. It does not seem to matter how hard I tighten the collet. Somehow I did manage to get two out.

I screwed the RCBS die into station 3 of a toolhead (Loading on a 550) flush to the base of the toolhead then tightened the locking ring. I called RCBS and they are sending me a new 40/10 collet but I don't think mine is bad. It has worked in the past.

The rounds are seated to 1.255-1.260 and are PD FMJ's. Any ideas?

F106 Fan
12-16-2012, 14:41
The best you can possibly do is get the collet down around the casemouth. If, having done that, you can't get enough grip to pull the bullet, it may be the bullet profile has too much taper in that region. It really doesn't matter how you mounth the die as long as the collet can reach the casemouth.

I use the RCBS collet puller for rifle ammo. The bullets tend to be very long and the area near the casemouth is usually not tapered. It works well.

OTOH, I have never had success using a collet die on pistol bullets. For one thing, I mostly shoot LSWC and there just isn't a straight portion to the bullet.

So, I use a ballistic hammer...

Richard

Kwesi
12-16-2012, 15:55
I have had success with pistol rounds in the past. How can I use the kinetic WHEN I want an accurate powder weight? That why I'm checking to see if I've got the correct grains. Whenever I use a kinetic there is powder lost as I whack it a few times.

F106 Fan
12-16-2012, 16:25
Seems to me the powder stays inside the hammer. It takes a little effort to clean the hammer before the pull and I suppose some powder will stick to the bullet and need to be swept off. It might be difficult to get within 0.1 gr or so.

For a test, accurately measure a load and seat the bullet. Pull is apart with a hammer and measure the known load. See if it works or not.

Richard

Kwesi
12-16-2012, 16:35
Great idea for the test. I was referring to the powder lost due to the gaps between the collet inside the kinetic hammer.

SARDG
12-16-2012, 16:58
I have a 9mil RCBS collet puller mounted in a cheap SS Lee press and adjusted to the top of the case mouth. Pulls my MG 147 CMJ and 124 JHP perfectly. Dunno...

Kwesi
12-16-2012, 17:29
My guess is there is .3 -.5 grains that were stuck to the tape.

n2extrm
12-16-2012, 17:30
You can put a round bandaid inside the screw on cap to stop the powder from coming out. It's soft and won't press on the primer. Put it so the sticky side faces the cap or ring. You don't even need to remove the backing.

Kwesi
12-18-2012, 07:08
You can put a round bandaid inside the screw on cap to stop the powder from coming out. It's soft and won't press on the primer. Put it so the sticky side faces the cap or ring. You don't even need to remove the backing.

Sounds like another good creative idea!