Getting a Red Dot, need help. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Red Dot, need help.

FriscoCHL
12-16-2012, 22:14
I want to get a red dot and have decided on some Primary Arms products. My question is, would you recommend the micro, the full size 30mm 3MOA, or the Multi-Reticle 2MOA one. What are the pros and cons of each? I only have around $100 or so to spend. I dont need the save alittle more and get this or that optic stuff. I dont want or need a high dollar optic for my immediate needs. Thanks.

mjkeat
12-16-2012, 22:34
I'm a fan of the Micros. Why? They are small, lightweight, and less obtrusive to my field of view.

Gunnut 45/454
12-16-2012, 23:03
FriscoCHL
Not many (good) options with just $100 dollars! Add another $70-80 bucks you could get a Vortex Stikefire or Sparx. In your price range your talking battery eating optics- batterys aint cheap!:whistling:

mvician
12-16-2012, 23:04
another vote for the micro, but I would wait and get the one with the removable base and then upgrade it to at least the Primary Arms QD base.

If you have to have it now, get the micro with the fixed base and the UTG riser.

I have two of the PA micros and they work fine for a range rifle.

TedG
12-17-2012, 07:50
What they said.

TucsonGlocker
12-17-2012, 09:01
I'm a fan of the Micros. Why? They are small, lightweight, and less obtrusive to my field of view.

I agree! I just received my PA Micro in the mail and the fit and finish is great! Haven't gotten it to the range yet so I can't comment on functionality, but I have no fear it will work out well. I'll post an update once I get it out to the range..

FriscoCHL
12-17-2012, 09:19
another vote for the micro, but I would wait and get the one with the removable base and then upgrade it to at least the Primary Arms QD base.

If you have to have it now, get the micro with the fixed base and the UTG riser.

I have two of the PA micros and they work fine for a range rifle.

Just wondering, why the removable base? I would need the riser because of my fixed front sight, right?

Thanks everyone else for the input.

samuse
12-17-2012, 10:06
Just shoot irons and save your money.

Cheap optics rarely work.

collim1
12-17-2012, 10:16
Just shoot irons and save your money.

Cheap optics rarely work.

I agree, If I couldn't step up to an EOTech or Aimpoint PRO, I'd pass until I had the money.

I like the irons myself.

Brian Brazier
12-17-2012, 11:49
Removable base gives you allot more mounting options, I am waiting till they get more removable base models in

mvician
12-17-2012, 12:46
Just wondering, why the removable base? I would need the riser because of my fixed front sight, right?

Thanks everyone else for the input.

I want the removable base model so that I have the option of using ANY mount made by the many companies that make mounts for the Aimpoint Micro. Yes the PA micro uses the same mounts. :cool:

With the FIXED base micro you are stuck with putting it on a riser to be able to use it on an AR15, such as the UTG combo that PA offers.

and now to the "shoot irons" "save and buy XYZ" crowd....

read the OP.........either answer the question or pass on by.
These forums would be a great place if everyone did that.

FriscoCHL
12-17-2012, 14:09
You guys are awesome!! One more question mvician, would I need 1/3 or absolute co witness? Not really even sure what that means??

Rooster Rugburn
12-17-2012, 14:11
read the OP.........either answer the question or pass on by. These forums would be a great place if everyone did that.

Is that any different than someone asking "Is this a good price on _______", and people jumping in with "save up more money and buy a _____".

Fwdftw
12-17-2012, 14:22
You guys are awesome!! One more question mvician, would I need 1/3 or absolute co witness? Not really even sure what that means??

i prefer the lower 1/3rd im on my cell phone right now.. but i think primary arma did a youtube vid on absolute and 1/3rd co witness

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

JoleBole
12-17-2012, 14:25
I got a Bushnell TRS-25 online. Works great. Holds zero like a champ. Cheap too.

http://www.exurbanleague.com/Portals/2/trs-25_1.jpg

FriscoCHL
12-17-2012, 15:29
i prefer the lower 1/3rd im on my cell phone right now.. but i think primary arma did a youtube vid on absolute and 1/3rd co witness

Found it. Thank you

Fwdftw
12-17-2012, 17:23
Found it. Thank you

very welcome sir.

mvician
12-17-2012, 17:24
I dont want or need a high dollar optic for my immediate needs. Thanks.

read the OP.........either answer the question or pass on by.
These forums would be a great place if everyone did that.

Is that any different than someone asking "Is this a good price on _______", and people jumping in with "save up more money and buy a _____".

It boils down to the question asked and the parameters stated by the poster, whether it is this thread or any thread.

In this case the OP said "I don't want or need a high dollar optic for my immediate needs."

Plain, simple