What is your process to develop the most accurate load? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What is your process to develop the most accurate load?

igolfat8
12-17-2012, 20:55
I have been loading for a few years, mostly to save money shooting my .40 S&W pistols. I don't shoot competition so I don't understand Major and Minor jargon. Neither do I have a chrono. My goal is to develop loads for my 40s for accuracy without a mule kick. For someone with my needs what is your advice and process for developing accurate loads?

njl
12-17-2012, 21:35
Buy a chronograph for starters.

njl
12-17-2012, 21:39
Major power factor (PF) is 165.
Minor PF is 125.

PF = bullet weight in grains X velocity in ft/s / 1000

If you're not shooting matches where PF matters, then it really doesn't matter, unless you're shooting reactive targets. Weaker PF rounds won't knock things over as well. Slower rounds are more prone to bouncing back after hitting a hard target.

PhantomF4E
12-17-2012, 21:48
If you don't have a chrono ( I strongly suggest one for serious workup) . First get a hundred rounds of matched headstamp brass. Start with 10 rounds @ minimum load and recommended OAL for your projectile. as for OAL tweeking (experiment with that later) Load another exactly the same with 10 more .1grain up . load another 10 up .1 . Lather-rinse-repeat , till you get as close to max pressure as you want . Hit the range and put the gun in the most consistnet position you can at the range you are looking to fire at and fire away . out of that lot, record what is most accurate, go back and load a hundred for your next shoot. Play with OAL if you want a couple thou +/-, but you should be able to find something in the mix that will work at the lower end of the scale if you are looking for the lower felt recoil that will get the job done . It is all about finding what the gun likes , and then after that K.I.S.S. and stay with it . Or you can be like me ... Sir Bedivere on the quest for the holy grail load that will cloverleaf at any range I want to shoot it at LOL...

DoctaGlockta
12-17-2012, 22:07
I ask Fred, or Steve, or the guy that makes that fancy target paper.

JBnTX
12-17-2012, 22:29
Consistency = Accuracy.

It doesn't matter how fancy or expensive your equipment is,
just try to make each round an exact duplicate of the previous round.

njl
12-17-2012, 23:26
Consistency = Accuracy.

It doesn't matter how fancy or expensive your equipment is,
just try to make each round an exact duplicate of the previous round.

But you can be consistent and still have inaccurate ammo. I wasn't at all happy with MG 124gr JHP until I tried loading some much shorter, and suddenly the group size shrank...and the velocity went up about 50fps without changing the powder charge.

fredj338
12-18-2012, 00:48
Get a reloading manual. FInd the vel range you want to reload at. Choose a powder that gets you there at midrange load levels. Start @ midrange & work up in 1/10gr increments. Shoot over a rest @ 50ft min, the gun will tell you what it likes. A chrono is nice to have, but more useful for the guy looking for top end loads, vs the guy looking for soft target loads.
FOrget plated or lead bullets, go with jacketed, much easier to get uniform results for beginners. Nothing makes a poor bullet shoot well. Then use all the same brass, better still if it is all fired the same number of times. Mixed brass & brass fired diff number of times add variables. You want to remove as many of those as possible.
Then the BIG question. What kind of accuracy are you looking for? If the best you can shoot is 6" groups @ 50ft, no amount of load developement is going to fix that. SO a realistic accuracy expectation is useful so you aren't trying to achieve something you or your gun is not capable of. Good loads in a GLock, decent trigger, good shooter, should easily break 2" @ 50ft, half that if the shooter is very good, regardless of caliber.