Reasonable Caution or Paranoid? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable Caution or Paranoid?

Java Junky
12-17-2012, 20:04
'Was discussing lead build-up in the body for someone who (someone who Hell! Me.) shoots pretty regularly indoors.
'Heard some medical results of other shooters who have been doing pretty much what I do and it made me wonder just where the line of reasonable caution lies for a once or twice'a week indoor shooter.
Thanks in advance for any input gang.

4Rules
12-17-2012, 22:07
Get tested.

Wil Ufgood
12-17-2012, 22:14
Get tested.

Yep, when I was shooting indoors regularly I was tested. My levels were high.

4Rules
12-17-2012, 22:41
Reasonable precautions include regular blood testing, not eating, drinking, or smoking while shooting, handwashing, employment of Personal Protective Equipment suitable for the activity (which might include wearing gloves while reloading, and/or wearing a respirator while shooting indoors, cleaning cases and casting, and thorough cleaning of surfaces and clothing (including cleanup of dust from cleaning media).

Paranoid would be quitting the activity altogether.

JuneyBooney
12-18-2012, 22:05
Reasonable precautions include regular blood testing, not eating, drinking, or smoking while shooting, handwashing, employment of Personal Protective Equipment suitable for the activity (which might include wearing gloves while reloading, and/or wearing a respirator while shooting indoors, cleaning cases and casting, and thorough cleaning of surfaces and clothing (including cleanup of dust from cleaning media).

Paranoid would be quitting the activity altogether.

That sounds reasonable to me but people shot for years with no ill effects. I would just do what is stated above and wash the face too after shooting.

ron59
12-19-2012, 07:31
I shot at an indoor range for just over 3 years.... finally got tested last spring and was at 37/38, forget now. That's HIGH !!

I started wearing a respirator when I shot there, but I moved in August and now belong to an outdoor range. I will go back to the doctor again this year and see what it is then.

I've been reloading for over 3 years... I thought it could be related to that. If so, it would have to be from standing directly over the press. My wife (now ex) also got tested and hers was literally 0. So there was nothing residual in the house from my hobby that was causing the problem.

PEC-Memphis
12-19-2012, 16:58
I was shooting indoors once a week, then cleaning up, separating brass, etc.

I was tested in the low 20's ug/ml, took the chelation drugs (not really pleasant, and really expensive without insurance - about $750), got down into the single digits.

I shot almost exclusively outdoors after that - except I took an indoor shotgun class. Eleven (11) folks fired about 300 shotgun shells each and about 125 rounds of pistol ammunition. The haze was thick enough to cut with a knife. Got tested three days later and Pb was in the low 40's ug/ml.

I shoot very, very little indoors now. If I do, I wear a 3M dust mask and nitrile gloves when I clean up, return targets to storage, sweep the floor and separate brass, etc. Then wash my hands up to the elbows and wash my face with D-Lead soap. When I go home - I put my clothes directly in the washing machine then take a shower with D-lead and wash hair.

When I process uncleaned dry brass at home I wear a dust mask and nitrile gloves. I've gone to SS media/wet tumbling and this has really cut down on the dust compared to walnut/rouge media.

Java Junky
12-19-2012, 18:27
'Much obliged gang.
'Really appreciate the information.

doglett386
12-20-2012, 09:00
Wow, I never really thought about this. Thanks for the info.

Sulfur
12-21-2012, 22:04
Me either! Thanks for the heads up. I have always seen the warning but thought the washing the hands etc. was enough. All I can say is WOW!