Question for all the NRA members here! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question for all the NRA members here!

Gunnut 45/454
12-17-2012, 23:01
So will you allow the NRA to cave on the next AWB like they did in '94! Cause what I'm hearing and seeing in the press it's coming. So what say you!:supergrin:

mortpes
12-17-2012, 23:26
Support the NRA. They are the only hope in keeping the sport alive.

Gunnut 45/454
12-17-2012, 23:42
mortpes
Yea I used to be a member but after they caved in to the '94 gun ban I couldn't support them any more! And with there not forcing the SCOTUS to define "Shall not be Infringed " in either Heller or the Chicago case I still can't support them. They missed both oprotunities to end all debate on gun control then! Because them four words are the 2nd! And any sain individual knows exactly what they mean- the Federal Government can't make,enforce any law that Infringe on us owning/carrying any firearm we choose to have! PERIOD! Now with the latest version of AWB they will out right ban many types of firearms! So please save your join the parade speach- the NRA needs to come out hard a strong against the media bias now!:steamed:

HarleyGuy
12-18-2012, 01:21
The NRA, while being the most effective, national gun rights organization only has about 4 MILLION members.

This make we wonder what we could accomplish if we could recruit another 4 MILLION, OR if every one of the estimated 80 MILLION gun owners would ante up and support the organization that works tirelessly to promote and protect their precious right "to keep and bear arms"!:shocked:

cowboywannabe
12-18-2012, 01:26
80 million lawfull gun owners but only 4 million NRA members speaks volumes for the anti-gun rights crowd.

JBnTX
12-18-2012, 06:49

The NRA, while being the most effective, national gun rights organization only has about 4 MILLION members.

80 million lawfull gun owners but only 4 million NRA members speaks volumes for the anti-gun rights crowd.

You guys need to answer the OP's question:

"So will you allow the NRA to cave on the next AWB like they did in '94! Cause what I'm hearing and seeing in the press it's coming. So what say you!"

Quit repeating all the NRA talking points. Examine the NRA's national record and you'll find that about all they're good for is raising money.

Where's the NRA on this current gun control debate?
Have they been on TV or radio countering the anti-gunners lies?
Have you seen any NRA newspaper advertisements?

There can be no compromise on gun control. The NRA needs to put a dog in this fight, right now.

cowboywannabe
12-18-2012, 06:53

"So will you allow the NRA to cave on the next AWB like they did in '94! Cause what I'm hearing and seeing in the press it's coming. So what say you!"

Quit throwing out all the NRA talking points. Examine the NRA's national record and you'll find that about all they're good for is raising money.

80 million lawfull gun owners (conservatively estimated) and not even 10% of them belong to the NRA. what are the folks on capital hill suppose to think? what does it say to the NRA? to the 5% of gun owners supporting the NRA about the 95% of gun owners who dont even bother to join?

JBnTX
12-18-2012, 06:59
80 million lawfull gun owners (conservatively estimated) and not even 10% of them belong to the NRA. what are the folks on capital hill suppose to think? what does it say to the NRA? to the 5% of gun owners supporting the NRA about the 95% of gun owners who dont even bother to join?

That membership shows that the majority of gun owners have no faith in the NRA, and that's the NRA's fault.

The NRA talks a good game and a lot of gun owners fall for it.
Most don't.

If the NRA rolled up their sleeves and went after the anti-gunners,
their membership would more than double almost immediately.

I used to be a member but quit because my mailbox was too small to hold all the requests for more money.

cowboywannabe
12-18-2012, 07:07
That membership shows that the majority of gun owners have no faith in the NRA, and that's the NRA's fault.

Most don't.

I used to be a member but quit because my mailbox was too small to hold all the requests for more money.

wow, a whole 10% of gun owners. by the numbers only 5% of gun owners are in the NRA. what that low number shows the NRA is also what that low number shows the anti gun crowd on the Hill, apathy, lost cause, ripe for the picking, how much fuss will gun owners make?, by the numbers very little.

JBnTX
12-18-2012, 07:12

The only hope of gun owners is to get on the phone, fax, e-mail or write a letter to your elected representatives and tell them NOT to support more gun control laws.

If gun owners want to keep their guns, then they are going to have to make their voice heard.

If you're not a NRA member, call your members of congress.

If you are an NRA member, tell the NRA to get off it's lazy ass and accomplish something, for a change.

cowboywannabe
12-18-2012, 07:18
The only hope of gun owners is to get on the phone, fax, e-mail or write a letter to your elected representatives and tell them NOT to support more gun control laws.

If gun owners want to keep their guns, then they are going to have to make their voice heard.

If you're not a NRA member, call your members of congress.

If you are an NRA member, tell the NRA to get off it's lazy ass and accomplish something, for a change.

i agree with this principle but look at it this way, a politician knows there are 80 million lawfull gun owners, the NRA has only 4 million members. how much weight does the NRA rep have waiving his finger at the politician when the politician knows he represents so few of the gun owners.

the politician thinks the other 95% of the gun owners are ok with some sort of ban.

JBnTX
12-18-2012, 07:48
i agree with this principle but look at it this way, a politician knows there are 80 million lawfull gun owners, the NRA has only 4 million members. how much weight does the NRA rep have waiving his finger at the politician when the politician knows he represents so few of the gun owners.

the politician thinks the other 95% of the gun owners are ok with some sort of ban.

You're exactly right!

But, you can't blame the gun owner for not supporting the NRA. A lot of gun owners have no confidence in the NRA and their dwindling membership shows it.

Most Americans don't shop at Sears. Is that their fault or Sears fault?

I want to see the NRA go toe to toe with the anti-gunners and I want to see the anti-gun politicians bleed.

Why hasn't the NRA gone after Dianne Feinstein, Chuck Schumer and the other anti-gunners politically?

They waste money courting these politicians and trying to change their minds, when any fool knows these people will never change.

When I see some anti-gunners blood in the water, I'll rejoin the NRA.

holesinpaper
12-18-2012, 11:27
What's the alternative?

And did the NRA help get the sunset clause on the 94 ban?

Glock30Eric
12-18-2012, 11:35

Quit repeating all the NRA talking points. Examine the NRA's national record and you'll find that about all they're good for is raising money.

Have you seen any NRA newspaper advertisements?

There can be no compromise on gun control. The NRA needs to put a dog in this fight, right now.

This is why I said NRA is too late to jump in this situation. NRA is really good at piling up my mailbox with many junks and begging me to pay on unnecessary IRAs, Insurances, etc.

I think we need to start up a new ultra-NRA somehow.

Syclone538
12-18-2012, 11:49
This is why I said NRA is too late to jump in this situation. NRA is really good at piling up my mailbox with many junks and begging me to pay on unnecessary IRAs, Insurances, etc.

I think we need to start up a new ultra-NRA somehow.

GOA and SAF.

Bren
12-18-2012, 12:25
So will you allow the NRA to cave on the next AWB like they did in '94! Cause what I'm hearing and seeing in the press it's coming. So what say you!:supergrin:

Say, Einstein, do you know why you don't have an assault weapons ban right now? Because instead of going all or nothing on the permanent ban that was proposed, NRA went with a compromise - we kept all of our guns and it automatically expired 10 years later...with evidence that it did nothing to decrease crime.

Pretty good result for "caving" as opposed to the permanent AWB we would have had if the NRA forced it to a yes/no vote.

In the mean time, the NRA picked the plaintiffs and paid the way for lawsuits that, for the first time in the history of the U.S. forced the Supreme Court to recognize that you have an individual constitutional right to own guns.

Some of you people amaze me. If this is the thinking that gun owners will bring to the table, we have no hope of winning.

Syclone538
12-18-2012, 13:03
In the mean time, the NRA picked the plaintiffs and paid the way for lawsuits that, for the first time in the history of the U.S. forced the Supreme Court to recognize that you have an individual constitutional right to own guns.

:rofl:

Some of you people amaze me. If this is the thinking that gun owners will bring to the table, we have no hope of winning.

Right back at ya.

Happypuppy
12-18-2012, 13:48
I am a Life member and very disappointed. They should have known Obama was coming after guns and knew he would use an event to fuel it. The watch and see attitude stinks of " we don't have a plan or know what to do"

How about

Petitions
Real data
Full page ads of condolences
how xxx , yyy, zzz might mitigate it happening again

The SAF is on cable every night and in the forefront. A much smaller organization and 100% better. They will be getting further support from myself

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

smokin762
12-18-2012, 13:59
All firearm owners need to stick together just like the anti's do. But that is not going to happen. They are all over the place.

The NRA wasn't really our friend with the Clinton Ban, why should now be any different.

certifiedfunds
12-18-2012, 14:10
To win a political battle only 3 things matter:

1. Money
2. Numbers
3. Organization

#1 is best put with whoever has #2 and #3 and most closely aligns with your interests.

I'm a Life member. I'm not thrilled with everything the NRA does but they're the only ones currently equipped to fight this battle.

JBnTX
12-18-2012, 14:44
Say, Einstein, do you know why you don't have an assault weapons ban right now? Because instead of going all or nothing on the permanent ban that was proposed, NRA went with a compromise - we kept all of our guns and it automatically expired 10 years later...with evidence that it did nothing to decrease crime.

Pretty good result for "caving" as opposed to the permanent AWB we would have had if the NRA forced it to a yes/no vote.

Bren,

The NRA should have stopped the last AWB from ever being made law, and no compromise would have been necessary. Back then they had the money and the membership.

Today the NRA needs to go into full attack mode against the next AWB.

1. They need to hit all the news media programs with a strong and coherent pro-gun message.

2. They need to go after the anti-gun politicians, both professionally and personally. They need to fight dirty.

3. They need to immediately start a super aggressive membership drive and fund raising program.

4. They need to come out swinging and stand up for the second amendment.

If they do these things, their membership ranks will explode.

Right now, the silence from the NRA is not a good sign.

Bren
12-18-2012, 15:05
Bren,

The NRA should have stopped the last AWB from ever being made law, and no compromise would have been necessary. Back then they had the money and the membership.

:upeyes:

Like I said, if they had followed advice like that, we would now be living with a permanent ban, in place since 1994, that bans a lot more than the temporary one did AND we'd still have a national waiting period between buying a gun and getting it.

fx77
12-18-2012, 15:06
also join Gun Owners of America..a second opinion as it were...

Brucev
12-18-2012, 15:33
I stand with the NRA. No apologies. Life member since 1980. Encourage all others who enjoy owning and using firearms to join up and support the NRA. They are the number one most effective firearms advocacy organization in existence in the U.S.A. Nothing else even comes close.

At present lots of people are emoting. Thing about emoting is it doesn't last. Good thing about the NRA and the money that it brings to bear upon politicians is that it keeps talking long after the emoting is over. After the first of the year, when the new congress is in their stables they'll all be looking for handouts. That's when the NRA money will be on the table. And that is the thing the congress critters will all be eying. The emoting works for getting people to listen to left-wing faux news programs. But those folks don't write bills. The critters in congress write the bills. And they are going to do what the money tells them to do. The NRA money is going to be hard to overcome. The left-wing is long on talk. But when it's time to put money on the table, they have a hard time keeping up with the NRA and the firearms lobby. Excellent. More power to the NRA and firearms producers.

certifiedfunds
12-18-2012, 15:47
I stand with the NRA. No apologies. Life member since 1980. Encourage all others who enjoy owning and using firearms to join up and support the NRA. They are the number one most effective firearms advocacy organization in existence in the U.S.A. Nothing else even comes close.

At present lots of people are emoting. Thing about emoting is it doesn't last. Good thing about the NRA and the money that it brings to bear upon politicians is that it keeps talking long after the emoting is over. After the first of the year, when the new congress is in their stables they'll all be looking for handouts. That's when the NRA money will be on the table. And that is the thing the congress critters will all be eying. The emoting works for getting people to listen to left-wing faux news programs. But those folks don't write bills. The critters in congress write the bills. And they are going to do what the money tells them to do. The NRA money is going to be hard to overcome. The left-wing is long on talk. But when it's time to put money on the table, they have a hard time keeping up with the NRA and the firearms lobby. Excellent. More power to the NRA and firearms producers.

This is the first intelligent thing I've seen you post here. Well done.

Ruble Noon
12-18-2012, 19:26

Yep..

beforeobamabans
12-18-2012, 19:27
I have been off work since last Friday and have spent most of my time since then watching the Newtown coverage or posting on GT. The cacophony of drumbeats for new gun control laws is louder than Ive ever heard. We need something to stand up for our rights, otherwise they are going to get steamrolled under this avalanche of sympathy and misguided intentions. I've also realized the clout and even fear the politicos have for the NRA. Nothing else is even close. Chris Mathews dedicated much of his show tonight bashing them. Them is us. So, I sent NRA $60 tonight for a two-year membership.

jrd22
12-18-2012, 19:44

Well said. Now is not the time for gun owners to splinter off into small ineffectual groups. However you feel about the NRA it is the only group that will have enough impact in Washington to protect all of our rights (writing your representatives doesn't hurt either). If half of the gun owners that are currently buying hi cap mags and AWs for fear that they will be banned would join the NRA it would then be an unstoppable force in defending the 2nd Amendment. Hell, what does it cost per year, about two boxes of cheap ammo?

jakebrake
12-18-2012, 19:45

in a word, no.

Cavalry Doc
12-18-2012, 19:49
GOA and SAF.

Yup. I'm a member of the GOA, will have to check our the SAF.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/CavDoc-3-2.gif

Ruble Noon
12-18-2012, 19:53
I have been off work since last Friday and have spent most of my time since then watching the Newtown coverage or posting on GT. The cacophony of drumbeats for new gun control laws is louder than Ive ever heard. We need something to stand up for our rights, otherwise they are going to get steamrolled under this avalanche of sympathy and misguided intentions. I've also realized the clout and even fear the politicos have for the NRA. Nothing else is even close. Chris Mathews dedicated much of his show tonight bashing them. Them is us. So, I sent NRA $60 tonight for a two-year membership.

I'm gifting my liberal obama voting brother an NRA membership for Christmas.

jakebrake
12-18-2012, 19:56
Yup. I'm a member of the GOA, will have to check our the SAF.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/CavDoc-3-2.gif

saf?

just joined goa

Happypuppy
12-18-2012, 19:56
Maybe we should gift memberships to Obama and Mathews

Ruble Noon
12-18-2012, 20:02
Maybe we should gift memberships to Obama and Mathews

Not a bad idea, not a bad idea at all. Remember when Larry Flint gave Hustler subscriptions to all of congress?

SDDL-UP
12-18-2012, 20:27
There are a lot more ar-15 and AK owners than there were prior to the 1994 ban. Having a larger ownership base is good the NRA needs to support ALL gun owners this time around. I will stand with them and support them if they do so... and I am currently a member. I have been a GOA member in the past and will join again SOON.

IceAxe
12-18-2012, 20:33
don't forget JPFO (http://jpfo.org/)and RMGO (http://www.rmgo.org/)too

Brucev
12-18-2012, 20:44

See what you miss when you go around with your eyes wide shut? :whistling:

G26S239
12-18-2012, 20:52
The NRA did not cave in 94. They won the initial round of votes and than Clinton took a bunch of Dims to the woodshed and got the votes he wanted.

Most don't.

What it shows is that some cheap bastards will make up any reason to save $25 a year on membership. Why spend your own money JB when someone else will carry your dead ass?

If you actually ever were a member you could have looked on the back of your membership card and found the (877) NRA-2000 phone number and called them to be put on the do not solicit list. Of course since you are too damn cheap to put out $25 a year for membership it does not matter anyway.

JBnTX
12-18-2012, 21:00
The NRA did not cave in 94. They won the initial round of votes and than Clinton took a bunch of Dims to the woodshed and got the votes he wanted.

What it shows is that some cheap bastards will make up any reason to save $25 a year on membership. Why spend your own money JB when someone else will carry your dead ass?

If you actually ever were a member you could have looked on the back of your membership card and found the (877) NRA-2000 phone number and called them to be put on the do not solicit list. Of course since you are too damn cheap to put out $25 a year for membership it does not matter anyway.

Obviously you've got a problem with me personally that goes beyond the topic of this thread?

Might I suggest professional therapy?
Either way, have a Merry Christmas...:wavey:

smokin762
12-18-2012, 21:01

I have been on vacation since last Thursday and wonít be going back to work until Jan. 02, 2013. I have been posting here and watching the News. I know what you are saying.

Iím a Life Member of the NRA. The Easy Pay Plan is awesome. You get billed $25.00 every 3 months.

alexanderg23
12-18-2012, 21:02
If half the gun owners were NRA members the debate would be over. The NRA does way more that any one gun owner, for about the cost of a box of ammo a year. If a new bans passes blame yourselves for not supporting the largest pro-gun lobby in the US. Hope you spent the $35 dollars you saved well...

JBnTX
12-18-2012, 21:08
deleted:sorry:

NMPOPS
12-18-2012, 21:16
GOA and SAF.

How many members do these organizations have? Do they have any more influence than the NRA?

G26S239
12-18-2012, 21:20
Obviously you've got a problem with me personally that goes beyond the topic of this thread?

Might I suggest professional therapy?
Either way, have a Merry Christmas...:wavey:

Anything to keep from acknowledging that you are to damn cheap to pull your own weight right JB? I have heard all the excuses while signing people up at gun shows.

NMPOPS
12-18-2012, 21:23
The NRA has never caved! They have had to compromise a time or two, but always to our benefit. If they had 40 million instead of 4 million members maybe they wouldn't have to compromise.

JBnTX
12-18-2012, 21:45
Anything to keep from acknowledging that you are to damn cheap to pull your own weight right JB?...

My posts in this thread explain why I'm not a member of the NRA, and it has nothing to do with saving money.

I'd pay a $35.00 a month to the NRA if they'd go on the offensive against the anti-gunners.

But based on the wording of the NRA's announcement today,
I smell another compromise with the anti-gunners.

Compromise is just another word for surrendering to the gun grabbers instead of fighting them.

Your personal attacks against me are what's cheap, and they indicate that you too just may be concerned with the NRA's willingness to fight for our right to own guns.

JBnTX
12-18-2012, 21:48
... They have had to compromise a time or two, but always to our benefit...

How is it even possible for the NRA to compromise with the anti-gunners and it benefit gun owners?

What did the NRA compromise on, and what did gun owners get during one of these compromises?

plainsman
12-18-2012, 22:08
The question is just what gun organization do you support, if you dont like the NRA, GOA, etc,. but in reality, most gun owners are worthless DU Nuttings that are putting all our rights in jeopordy.

Yes, 4 million NRA members, no matter what crap the anti's have been throwing at you, AWB, import bans, magazine restrictions, ammo bans, etc., you still have worthless gunowners for refuse to fight, once again with any organization. Millions of gunowners licking the boot that kicks them.
If the present gun groups are not tough enough for you, start your own organization. Nobody, paralyzes you into inaction.

Forget the NRA, they and all gun organizations are corporations somewhere. It is YOU who is being vilified like you are some terrorist or worst just because you enjoy the right to bear arms. It is you who will be arrested, It is YOU who will be criminalized, YOU who will be controlled, YOU who will have to answer to your children why you didn't protect their gun rights, and the tyranny that usually follows.

jlavallee
12-18-2012, 22:11
When the NRA gave money to Reid in 2010 and wouldn't stand against him I told them where to go. I'm still a GOA member but the NRA rarely took the stand I expected.

JBnTX
12-18-2012, 22:20
The question is just what gun organization do you support, if you dont like the NRA, GOA, etc,. but in reality, most gun owners are worthless DU Nuttings that are putting all our rights in jeopordy.

Yes, 4 million NRA members, no matter what crap the anti's have been throwing at you, AWB, import bans, magazine restrictions, ammo bans, etc., you still have worthless gunowners for refuse to fight, once again with any organization. Millions of gunowners licking the boot that kicks them.
If the present gun groups are not tough enough for you, start your own organization. Nobody, paralyzes you into inaction.

Forget the NRA, they and all gun organizations are corporations somewhere. It is YOU who is being vilified like you are some terrorist or worst just because you enjoy the right to bear arms. It is you who will be arrested, It is YOU who will be criminalized, YOU who will be controlled, YOU who will have to answer to your children why you didn't protect their gun rights, and the tyranny that usually follows.

I feel so dirty after reading this. ^

As with everything else that's wrong in this country, somehow it's my fault.

I'm a bad, bad person...:rofl:

certifiedfunds
12-18-2012, 22:40
edited

stevelyn
12-18-2012, 23:40

It's a Constitutional right, not a sport, Sport. :steamed:

Originally Posted by NMPOPS

... They have had to compromise a time or two, but always to our benefit...

Compromise means that both sides have something of value to give up. The antis have nothing of value to give. When they lose, they lose nothing. When we lose, we lose more of our rights.

TDC20
12-19-2012, 01:36
I can't believe the number of people here pissing on the NRA. You think that politicians don't fear a voting block of 4 million people? Bill Clinton himself credited the NRA to losing Congress in 1994. And you want more, more, more? What does it take to do more? More people and more money. Like the smartest SecDef in recent history said, "You go to war with the Army you have." The NRA doesn't have unlimited funds to wage hate wars on individual politicians. They have to choose their battle wisely, and sometimes they have to lose the battle to win the war because they don't have unlimited funding. And why is this? Because only 5%, 5 stinking percent of gun owners support them. Can you imagine if 10% of gun owners supported them? Then they could double their efforts. What if 50% supported them? The politicians would be wetting their pants every time the NRA spoke, and there wouldn't be any talk of renewed assault weapons bans right now. If 50% of gun owners were members of the NRA, 40 million strong, we could be the block of voters that defined the elections, not the whites, or hispanics, or women, or whatever. Politicians would be kissing our asses for our votes, and there wouldn't be any more arguments over the 2A.

So, if you want to pick winners and losers in the advocacy of gun rights, take a look in the mirror. If you can't support the NRA for $35 a year, you're looking at the loser.

G26S239
12-19-2012, 02:13
My posts in this thread explain why I'm not a member of the NRA, and it has nothing to do with saving money.

I'd pay a $35.00 a month to the NRA if they'd go on the offensive against the anti-gunners.

But based on the wording of the NRA's announcement today,
I smell another compromise with the anti-gunners.

Compromise is just another word for surrendering to the gun grabbers instead of fighting them.

Your personal attacks against me are what's cheap, and they indicate that you too just may be concerned with the NRA's willingness to fight for our right to own guns.
1. You would pay no such thing. In this thread you are simply justifying being to damn cheap to pull your own weight.
2. The NRA did not compromise. Even AFTER Clinton twisted arms the AWB only passed by a very slim margin.
3. At the very next election the Dims lost their House Majority that had held for over 40 years. That lesson has made them very cautious.
4. The 10 year sunset had been placed in the AWB IN CASE it passed.

JB you are too cheap to pull your own weight. As I alluded to before I have met hundreds, if not thousands, of your type working at the NRA sign up tables with my NRA Members Council.

The NRA sends me too much mail :crying:

The NRA is not hard core :crying:

I joined 10 years ago and never got my hat :crying:

The NRA doesn't have open carry first and foremost :crying:

Tom Selleck didn't beat up Rosie O'Donell :crying:

Charleton Heston looks ridiculous holding up that gun :crying:

certifiedfunds
12-19-2012, 02:14
I can't believe the number of people here pissing on the NRA. You think that politicians don't fear a voting block of 4 million people? Bill Clinton himself credited the NRA to losing Congress in 1994. And you want more, more, more? What does it take to do more? More people and more money. Like the smartest SecDef in recent history said, "You go to war with the Army you have." The NRA doesn't have unlimited funds to wage hate wars on individual politicians. They have to choose their battle wisely, and sometimes they have to lose the battle to win the war because they don't have unlimited funding. And why is this? Because only 5%, 5 stinking percent of gun owners support them. Can you imagine if 10% of gun owners supported them? Then they could double their efforts. What if 50% supported them? The politicians would be wetting their pants every time the NRA spoke, and there wouldn't be any talk of renewed assault weapons bans right now. If 50% of gun owners were members of the NRA, 40 million strong, we could be the block of voters that defined the elections, not the whites, or hispanics, or women, or whatever. Politicians would be kissing our asses for our votes, and there wouldn't be any more arguments over the 2A.

So, if you want to pick winners and losers in the advocacy of gun rights, take a look in the mirror. If you can't support the NRA for $35 a year, you're looking at the loser.

Bravo!

cowboywannabe
12-19-2012, 06:10
If half the gun owners were NRA members the debate would be over. The NRA does way more that any one gun owner, for about the cost of a box of ammo a year. If a new bans passes blame yourselves for not supporting the largest pro-gun lobby in the US. Hope you spent the $35 dollars you saved well...

words of wisdom, 50% of a population is a lot harder to ignore than 5%.

Cavalry Doc
12-19-2012, 06:21
saf?

just joined goa

No idea. :dunno:/ Thought it was another group.

GOA is real though, be a member.

Ruble Noon
12-19-2012, 06:26
No idea. :dunno:/ Thought it was another group.

GOA is real though, be a member.

http://saf.org/

certifiedfunds
12-19-2012, 06:57
Doc/Ruble - I'm an NRA lifer but until last night hadn't joined GOA or SAF. I'm now a member of both of those as well.

JBnTX
12-19-2012, 07:52
I'll be watching the NRA's press conference on 21 Dec 2012.

If they come out swinging against the anti-gunners and state firmly that they'll fight against another AWB, I'll join.

If they announce a plan of compromising and working with the anti-gunners to find a solution to the problem, I won't join.

The anti-gunners already have a solution and it's the banning of guns. They intend no compromise.

If the NRA won't stand up for the 2nd amendment, then it makes no difference if they have 4 million or 400 million members.

Glock30Eric
12-19-2012, 07:54
I just became member with GOA and SAF. Thank you all for those info.

I am still not sure if I should renew my membership with NRA. If they could do better than piling up my mailbox then I'll renew it without questioning it.

certifiedfunds
12-19-2012, 07:58
I just became member with GOA and SAF. Thank you all for those info.

I am still not sure if I should renew my membership with NRA. If they could do better than piling up my mailbox then I'll renew it without questioning it.

You can request they take you off the junk mail list and the phone list and they will abide by it.

But honestly, is keeping your 2nd Amendment rights worth dealing with a little junk mail? Is it that burdensome to remove it from the box and drop it in the trash? Is that too much to ask?

Our forefathers said "Our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor" ......junk mail is asking too much?

cowboywannabe
12-19-2012, 08:08
i love junk mail, its good kindling for the wood burner.

certifiedfunds
12-19-2012, 08:27
I'll be watching the NRA's press conference on 21 Dec 2012.

If they come out swinging against the anti-gunners and state firmly that they'll fight against another AWB, I'll join.

If they announce a plan of compromising and working with the anti-gunners to find a solution to the problem, I won't join.

The anti-gunners already have a solution and it's the banning of guns. They intend no compromise.

If the NRA won't stand up for the 2nd amendment, then it makes no difference if they have 4 million or 400 million members.

JB - there are some smart talented folks making these decisions and they are seldom as cut and dry as you might want to make them out to be. That said, if you don't think the NRA could be bolder in its positions with 10 million members than it is with 4 million members you clearly haven't thought this through.

Like it or not, the NRA is the ONLY gun rights organization swinging a big enough stick to do anything about this. Be a member of SAF or GOA. Great! I did last night. But to think you're going to teach anyone a lesson by not being counted amoungst the NRA roles at a time like this is just downright foolish.

certifiedfunds
12-19-2012, 08:30
You also need to realize that this is a chess match. What the NRA says publicly and what they do behind the closed doors of Congressional offices are two different things.

There are 2 wars to fight: Public relations and Legislative

If the NRA polarizes the public they make it more difficult for legislators to align with them.

Glock30Eric
12-19-2012, 08:49
You can request they take you off the junk mail list and the phone list and they will abide by it.

But honestly, is keeping your 2nd Amendment rights worth dealing with a little junk mail? Is it that burdensome to remove it from the box and drop it in the trash? Is that too much to ask?

Our forefathers said "Our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor" ......junk mail is asking too much?

I already asked them to not mail me the junk stuff. However, it sickens me that they are willing to spend that much of their budget to ad us with the junk stuff. That money could be better spent on protecting our 2A, like put an ad on TV shows pinpointing the false information with the gun control laws to win our hearts. They need to educate the gun-haters/grabbers with the accurate information. They lost the battle in 1994 AWB and that hurts their creditability.

I don't want to pour my money into an organization that doesn't do well. If I keep pouring my money in an organization that don't do well then they won't change anything. (Capitalism in the work)

certifiedfunds
12-19-2012, 08:54
I already asked them to not mail me the junk stuff. However, it sickens me that they are willing to spend that much of their budget to ad us with the junk stuff. That money could be better spent on protecting our 2A, like put an ad on TV shows pinpointing the false information with the gun control laws to win our hearts. They need to educate the gun-haters/grabbers with the accurate information. They lost the battle in 1994 AWB and that hurts their creditability.

I don't want to pour my money into an organization that doesn't do well. If I keep pouring my money in an organization that don't do well then they won't change anything. (Capitalism in the work)

If you think they lost in 94 you don't have all the facts.

The junk mail happens because it works. Memberships don't pay for NRA activities, fundraising does.

Like I said, if dealing with a little junk mail is too much to ask perhaps your priorities need to be examined.

The bottom line is that the NRA is your ONLY hope here. No one else even comes close to their clout and funding.

Glock30Eric
12-19-2012, 09:05
If you think they lost in 94 you don't have all the facts.

The junk mail happens because it works. Memberships don't pay for NRA activities, fundraising does.

Like I said, if dealing with a little junk mail is too much to ask perhaps your priorities need to be examined.

The bottom line is that the NRA is your ONLY hope here. No one else even comes close to their clout and funding.

NRA have allowed the AWB law to go in effect back in 1994. No question. Even they did their best but in my own eyes, they failed to stop the AWB law.

I joined GOA and SAF today. I still have my membership with NRA for 2012-2013. I haven't changed my priorities. I am just not sure if I should re-new my NRA membership.

Question for you: If a new AWB/gun control law goes in the effect, will you renew your membership with NRA?

certifiedfunds
12-19-2012, 09:10
NRA have allowed the AWB law to go in effect back in 1994. No question. Even they did their best but in my own eyes, they failed to stop the AWB law.

I joined GOA and SAF today. I still have my membership with NRA for 2012-2013. I haven't changed my priorities. I am just not sure if I should re-new my NRA membership.

Question for you: If a new AWB/gun control law goes in the effect, will you renew your membership with NRA?

If it weren't for the NRA, that AWB would still be in effect. And, the Congress would have never been turned over to the Republicans. And, you would not have seen the wave of states becoming "Shall Issue" for CCPs.

So keep telling yourself they lost. And keep trying to teach the NRA a lesson and justifying it with the junk mail thing. We'll have to fight this battle without you.

I am a life member and will be making a donation here shortly. I joined SAF and GOA last night.

Jitterbug
12-19-2012, 09:11
Larry Platt of GOA and Alan Gottlieb of the SAF are good men and it doesn’t hurt to support them.

But the NRA is the big stick they love to hate and fear. It’s been done before and we can do it again, unseating each and every politician that supports any form of gun control….one at a time starting at the local level in the next election cycle.

As previous posters have pointed out, 8 million, 12 million or more NRA members and the assault on our civil rights and the 2nd amendment would NOT be up for discussion.

If each and everyone of us made a conscientious effort to sign up a new member while renewing our own by years end we’d be well on our way towards this goal.

Tango 1Zero
12-19-2012, 09:14
I think we should join them all.
Second Amendment Foundation, Gun Owners of America, NRA, JPFO.

JBnTX
12-19-2012, 09:34
The NRA is not the only option gun owners have in fighting for their 2nd amendment rights.

Why involve a third party with a questionable track record when each and every gun owner can directly contact their elected congressional representatives?

Skip the NRA and take the fight directly to congress. Burn up their phones lines with phone calls, flood their in boxes with e-mails, and their mailboxes with letters.

The NRA doesn't vote on an AWB, congress does. The NRA doesn't even have a dog in this fight, not like gun owners do.

I've sent e-mails to Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, Sen. John Cornyn and Rep. Bill Flores. I've sent letters to Hutchinson and Cornyn.

I'm sending e-mails today asking if the NRA has ever contacted them.

If every gun owner in America contacted their congressmen directly, it would have a far bigger impact than anything the NRA could ever do.

And there's no junk mail.

HexHead
12-19-2012, 09:55
Why hasn't the NRA gone after Dianne Feinstein, Chuck Schumer and the other anti-gunners politically?

There isn't enough money that could be spent to unseat them in CA and NY. And whomever replaced them would be no improvement.

Take Kirsten Gillibrand for instance. When she was chosen to fill Hillary Clinton's seat, pro gunners rejoiced. She was a State Senator from Upstate NY, pro gun (by NY standards) and a member of the NRA. Well, after paling around with Carolyn McCarthy and Chuckie Schumer, she's now as anti-gun as they come.

certifiedfunds
12-19-2012, 09:57
The NRA is not the only option gun owners have in fighting for their 2nd amendment rights.

Why involve a third party with a questionable track record when each and every gun owner can directly contact their elected congressional representatives?

Skip the NRA and take the fight directly to congress. Burn up their phones lines with phone calls, flood their in boxes with e-mails, and their mailboxes with letters.

The NRA doesn't vote on an AWB, congress does. The NRA doesn't even have a dog in this fight, not like gun owners do.

I've sent e-mails to Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, Sen. John Cornyn and Rep. Bill Flores. I've sent letters to Hutchinson and Cornyn.

I'm sending e-mails today asking if the NRA has ever contacted them.

If every gun owner in America contacted their congressmen directly, it would have a far bigger impact than anything the NRA could ever do.

And there's no junk mail.

You mean like what happened when they shoved Obamacare down the throats of the American people in spite of the polls and in spite of the calls, faxes and letters? Like that?

If you truly believe what you wrote here you are a bigger fool than even I thought. Money, Organization, Numbers -- that's what it takes and in that order. The NRA is the only one that has all 3 in sufficient quantity to do more than issue press releases.

jrd22
12-19-2012, 10:50

Exactly!

Gunnut 45/454
12-19-2012, 11:36
Bren
After agreeing with you in another post I have to say we are at odds again! Please tell me why the NRA didn't ask the SCOTUS in either case to defeine "Shall not be Infringed" ? They purposely avoided asking that question in both cases! I've read both case transcripes - never even aluded to it ! We all know what those four words mean! The Federal Government can't INFRINGE in anyway on our right to own carry, posses firearms! That means no restrictions, no senseable gun laws, no AWB's, GCA, nothing! Just like the First states the Feds can establish a state religion nor pass laws outlawing a religion. Our founders put these 10 Amendments in place for the purpose of ensureing the Federal Government could never become a dictatorship/kingdom. That is exactly what is happening now! The Liberal Progressives know they can not get there perfect euthopia as long as we have the freedom of gunownership! Compromise is not an option! :steamed:

beforeobamabans
12-19-2012, 20:45
According to a Fox reporter on O'Reilly tonight, the NRA is receiving 8,000 new memberships per day since Newtown, a higher rate than Columbine. Let's see...8000 x $35 = $280,000 per day flowing in. That'll refresh the war chest.

QNman
12-19-2012, 21:17
I'll withhold judgement until after tomorrows news conference. When I hear what they have to say, I will either up to lifetime, renew for another year, or let it lapse.

DOC44
12-19-2012, 21:26
been a member since '65... chose to do 1 to 5 years at a time.... reuped today with a little extra $... depending on their statement I may give a life membership to my 3 yr old grandson for Christmas.

Doc44

certifiedfunds
12-19-2012, 21:35
I'll withhold judgement until after tomorrows news conference. When I hear what they have to say, I will either up to lifetime, renew for another year, or let it lapse.

Q: We're in for one helluva battle here. What do you expect letting your NRA membership lapse will accomplish?

Ruble Noon
12-19-2012, 21:46
According to a Fox reporter on O'Reilly tonight, the NRA is receiving 8,000 new memberships per day since Newtown, a higher rate than Columbine. Let's see...8000 x $35 = $280,000 per day flowing in. That'll refresh the war chest.

I'm gifting a couple of memberships and am giving discount cards that I got with recent firearms purchases to a couple of other people. I'm seriously considering gifting a membership to Dianne Feinstein.

wallytoo
12-19-2012, 22:54
My dad let his membership lapse, due to the NRA letting Harry Reid say he was one of them. I haven't joined, but I'm considering it.

I did just join GOA and SAF in the past 15 minutes, though.

Caver 60
12-19-2012, 23:07
Been a member since the early sixties. Now a lifetime member. Best I remember they caved in 68. I'm pretty sure that lead to the "revolt at Cincinnati". Just google the term if you don't remember it. Hope they do better this time.

ETA Didn't read all the previous post. Forgive me if this issue has already been addressed.

jlavallee
12-19-2012, 23:09
I am always stunned that so many support the NRA compared to the GOA. The two are not even close when you really look at them and nothing leading up to or since cancellation of my NRA membership has led me to believe that they provide nearly the value for money.

wingryder
12-19-2012, 23:23
I just renewed NRA and joined GOA. After seeing Larry Pratt take that anglo-puke to the woodshed on CNN, I am impressed... this guy can represent me in Washington any day! Additionally, I sent emails to My Congresswoman, both Senator from my state, as well as Boehner, Feinstein, Reid & McConnell. I will also send the same letter to all of them via snail-mail ASAP.

Some great arguments for joining and becoming proactive have been presented in this thread. This is the biggest battle that I have seen yet. It feels very different this time around... it seems the public perception is much more anti- than pro-gun this time around. The Dems are exploiting a high-profile, emotionally charged crisis to advance the anti-gun agenda. Our side will need all the help we can get!

certifiedfunds
12-19-2012, 23:30
I am always stunned that so many support the NRA compared to the GOA. The two are not even close when you really look at them and nothing leading up to or since cancellation of my NRA membership has led me to believe that they provide nearly the value for money.

What has the GOA ever actually accomplished?

certifiedfunds
12-19-2012, 23:35
You guys that are hating on the NRA or trying to make some kind of statement by withholding your $35, let me ask you:

Who exactly do you think is going to fight this fight for you?

Do you think your email message will sway your Congressman in the face of the money and pressure he will feel from other constituents and interests opposed to you while the press is showing horrific images of the massacre night after night during the debate? Do you think he will even see it?

Do you think GOA has the resources to wage this war in the halls of Congress?

Like it or not there is only 1 organization that has the money organization and numbers to bully congressmen where needed.

TactiCool
12-19-2012, 23:58
You guys that are hating on the NRA or trying to make some kind of statement by withholding your $35, let me ask you:

Who exactly do you think is going to fight this fight for you?

Do you think your email message will sway your Congressman in the face of the money and pressure he will feel from other constituents and interests opposed to you while the press is showing horrific images of the massacre night after night during the debate? Do you think he will even see it?

Do you think GOA has the resources to wage this war in the halls of Congress?

Like it or not there is only 1 organization that has the money organization and numbers to bully congressmen where needed.

QFT

I just renewed with a 2 year membership.

The way I see it, if lefties are calling for the death of NRA members and its' president, they're doing something right.

Syclone538
12-20-2012, 00:09
I thought it was a given, but after reading the thread I'm not sure.

Everyone here knows Heller would have never happened if it were up to the NRA, right?

TDC20
12-20-2012, 03:14
I'm gifting a couple of memberships and am giving discount cards that I got with recent firearms purchases to a couple of other people. I'm seriously considering gifting a membership to Dianne Feinstein.
I'm with you, Ruble Noon. I'm going to gift at least 5 new NRA memberships to friends and family this week. Nothing will make the gun-grabbing politicians more nervous than rising NRA membership numbers. They haven't forgotten the price they paid for the 1994 AWB. Let's make sure they know they'll pay again.

And while the rest of you guys try to figure out whether you'll continue to support the NRA or not, I'll just add this. In my state, the CCW law was passed by the legislature with a large majority, but the Dem governor wouldn't sign it, and they were just short of enough votes to override the veto. The NRA participated and helped craft that legislation. This went on for years until we finally got a Republican governor. Today, I think Missouri has one of the best CCW laws in the U.S. Sure it could be better, we can't shoot guys in the back while they're running away with our stolen hubcaps after dark like they can in Texas, but we have other "benefits" that they don't have in Texas. But the NRA was engaged and all Missourians benefitted from their efforts.

So you may not agree with the NRA on 10% of the issues, or even 20% of the issues, but the other 80-90% of the time, the NRA is actively engaged in furthering your gun rights. We have instant check with no waiting period now (if you life in a "free" state), we have CCW, we have landmark court cases that establish and preserve our rights. That's the NRA. No, they don't win all the battles, mainly because they have only 5% of gun owners on board. I've been a GOA member for over 14 years. Larry Pratt is a stand-up guy, and GOA doesn't take prisoners in the gun debate. But they don't have the numbers or the political clout that the NRA has. You can sit on your hands and do nothing if you want, I'm going to sign up at least 5 new members to cover you slackers. Merry Christmas.

And if you didn't get a chance to see Larry Pratt debate Piers Moron on CNN, here's the link:
http://www.infowars.com/cnns-piers-morgan-blows-up-on-larry-pratt-over-gun-rights/

certifiedfunds
12-20-2012, 07:39

Who else has the numbers and resources for this fight?

oldsoldier
12-20-2012, 07:44

I just sent a donation to the NRA. First we get into the fight.

certifiedfunds
12-20-2012, 07:57

So Gunnut 45/454 - I assume you'll be sitting on the sidelines for this one?

QNman
12-20-2012, 08:31
Q: We're in for one helluva battle here. What do you expect letting your NRA membership lapse will accomplish?

A: it would take nearly complete capitulation by the NRA in today's conference to get me there. I don't mean to imply this is the likely choice - it's not. However, those are literally all possibilities. I have been a yearly member for over 20-years without fail.

certifiedfunds
12-20-2012, 08:42
A: it would take nearly complete capitulation by the NRA in today's conference to get me there. I don't mean to imply this is the likely choice - it's not. However, those are literally all possibilities. I have been a yearly member for over 20-years without fail.

Friday Q

Here are my thoughts on membership......with 4 million, the NRA is very strong but must be pragmatic which leads to capitulation and compromise. With 12 million it can walk on the necks of Congress.

Not directed at you Q but I wonder how many of those complaining about the NRA are voting members trying to take an active role in shaping the leadership?

Electrikkoolaid
12-20-2012, 09:21
But the NRA is the big stick they love to hate and fear. It’s been done before and we can do it again, unseating each and every politician that supports any form of gun control….one at a time starting at the local level in the next election cycle.

We have just completed an election cycle. Politicians are at their LEAST vulnerable time, as it will be two years before any of these people face voters -- a lifetime in politics.

Meanwhile, while the emotions of CT are highest, the anti-gun forces are able to spin up the flywheel of AWB inertia essentially unchecked. Talking heads, newspaper editorials, etc. are stuffed with anti-gun zealots repeating their half-truths enough times that the average person will see THAT as the truth.

The mighty NRA has spent this week sucking it's thumb in the corner while the opposing team keeps scoring "open goals" with the flimsiest of effort. By the time the NRA takes the field, the score may well be irreversible. Public opinion is being molded every single day.

http://i.imgur.com/djBUp.jpg

So now, while the house is ablaze, and we need the "big stick" the most, the firefighters are sitting in the firehouse out of respect to the flames.

But I have received mail on how to gift an NRA membership for Christmas.

The panic buying nationwide has shown that the majority of gun owners see the NRA's main proficiency is fundraising (and polishing firetrucks), not defending our 2A rights.

certifiedfunds
12-20-2012, 09:54
We have just completed an election cycle. Politicians are at their LEAST vulnerable time, as it will be two years before any of these people face voters -- a lifetime in politics.

Meanwhile, while the emotions of CT are highest, the anti-gun forces are able to spin up the flywheel of AWB inertia essentially unchecked. Talking heads, newspaper editorials, etc. are stuffed with anti-gun zealots repeating their half-truths enough times that the average person will see THAT as the truth.

The mighty NRA has spent this week sucking it's thumb in the corner while the opposing team keeps scoring "open goals" with the flimsiest of effort. By the time the NRA takes the field, the score may well be irreversible. Public opinion is being molded every single day.

http://i.imgur.com/djBUp.jpg

So now, while the house is ablaze, and we need the "big stick" the most, the firefighters are sitting in the firehouse out of respect to the flames.

But I have received mail on how to gift an NRA membership for Christmas.

The panic buying nationwide has shown that the majority of gun owners see the NRA's main proficiency is fundraising (and polishing firetrucks), not defending our 2A rights.

Blah, blah, blah. Are you a member? If not, who's fighting the fight on your behalf? Or will you just freeload?

Electrikkoolaid
12-20-2012, 10:07
Blah, blah, blah. Are you a member? If not, who's fighting the fight on your behalf? Or will you just freeload?

Please reread the second to last paragraph and apply your self-vaunted critical thinking skills to your questions.

Fear Night
12-20-2012, 10:09
If this video doesn't convince you to join SOMEWHERE, I don't know what will.

We need our voices to be heard to correct the gross misinformation like you are about to witness in the video below. Their completely false "facts" are being met with cheers and applause.

Like it or not, the NRA has the most political pull right now. DO SOMETHING.

Hot Topics: Gun Control Reform - The View - YouTube

Electrikkoolaid
12-20-2012, 10:59
We need our voices to be heard to correct the gross misinformation like you are about to witness in the video below. Their completely false "facts" are being met with cheers and applause.

Like it or not, the NRA has the most political pull right now. DO SOMETHING.

Yes, almost every statement made by those women was a distortion, or outright WRONG!

"Assault weapons destroy anything you shoot at, you can't hunt with it" says Whoopi, (not realizing that distinction is solely reserved for the 10mm handgun round.)

This is all over the airwaves and mass media, on every venue. Yet nothing from our side, even though the media is begging for the NRA for comment! People's emotional opinions are being formed every day by this uncontested, erroneous crap.

Yet, when we need them most and despite endless years of "building a financial warchest to take the fight to our enemies", the NRA leadership has apparently spent the past week putting the finishing touches on their 2013 limited-edition NRA engraved toilet paper holder marketing campaign.

Gunnut 45/454
12-20-2012, 11:36
certifiedfunds
Nope I'm in constant contact with my reps! Let them know they're political careers are up if they support any type of new gun laws! Constantly remine them of there Constitutional duties to not Infringe upon my and Americains right to own, posses and carry. Fortunately we don't elect anti-gun folks here in Idaho unlike some states! And I don't vote for liars and put them into the WH!

certifiedfunds
12-20-2012, 11:44
certifiedfunds
Nope I'm in constant contact with my reps! Let them know they're political careers are up if they support any type of new gun laws! Constantly remine them of there Constitutional duties to not Infringe upon my and Americains right to own, posses and carry. Fortunately we don't elect anti-gun folks here in Idaho unlike some states! And I don't vote for liars and put them into the WH!

Contact how? You have their cell phone numbers?

QNman
12-20-2012, 12:17
Friday Q

Here are my thoughts on membership......with 4 million, the NRA is very strong but must be pragmatic which leads to capitulation and compromise. With 12 million it can walk on the necks of Congress.

Not directed at you Q but I wonder how many of those complaining about the NRA are voting members trying to take an active role in shaping the leadership?

As usual, on this subject we are very nearly aligned. My expectation is the he NRA will provide a somewhat milquetoast but pragmatic response, one which will not be entirely pleasing but may nevertheless stem the tidal wave approaching. Very likely I will continue my annual membership. I figure I can only "reward" them once with lifetime membership, so that requires exceeding expectations. I don't mean this in any derogatory way - as I said, over 20-years in a row now... So they clearly offer a benefit in my eyes.

As to them "sitting in the firehouse", I personally think this has been wise. The only purpose the NRA could have served during the (very) emotional aftermath was as MSM punching bag. Holding off for a few days has allowed the initial storm to settle, but it's still plenty early to jump at the forefront of the political fray.

Bren
12-20-2012, 13:07
Bren
After agreeing with you in another post I have to say we are at odds again! Please tell me why the NRA didn't ask the SCOTUS in either case to defeine "Shall not be Infringed" ?

Yeah...if only somebody had ever thought of that before you.:upeyes:

Could it be because the prevailing law at the time said that was a right of state governments, so they could raise a militia? because, before the NRA got it recognized, that actuaslly meant nothing at all in American law? Yep, that's the reason. In 1994, it had never been legally recognized that you or I had any rights under the second amendment.

Even if it had been recognized, it is equally recognized that "reasonable limits" can be placed on every single right in the constitution, from speech to religion to search and seizure, etc. So the simple answer would have been (and may still be) this ban doesn't "infringe" the right guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment.

In short, because you believe instead of getting a sunset provision in the AWB, the NRA should have just said "no" does not make it so.

If gun control was left to people who think like you, none of us would own a gun or have a gun forum to discuss them on today.

Syclone538
12-20-2012, 21:28
before the NRA got it recognized,

:faint:

QNman
12-21-2012, 20:38
Today was a good day... my membership isn't up for a few months, but I added two years to it. I thought LaPierre had a great message, despite the code pink morons.

slick slidestop
12-21-2012, 21:08
I have been a member of TSRA for many years....finally decided to join NRA. We need members now more than ever.

jdavionic
12-21-2012, 21:12
I didn't see any signs that they were going to 'cave' during today's speech.

beforeobamabans
12-21-2012, 21:28
A Lawrence O'Donnell MSNBC hatchet job in progress now. The viciousness is shocking. You can tell who they are afraid of. Wow!

QNman
12-21-2012, 21:29
I didn't see any signs that they were going to 'cave' during today's speech.

Neither did I. In fact, quite the opposite - common sense. "Place armed guards in our schools". I've heard that somewhere before...

PhotoFeller
12-21-2012, 21:47

This is a well disguised compliment, I think(!?).

certifiedfunds
12-21-2012, 22:10
This is a well disguised compliment, I think(!?).

You're very perceptive. It could go either way.

jlavallee
12-22-2012, 01:12
That people are in an uproar over this shows the power of the media. Statistically, it is not significant and the NRA statement while making more sense than a ban criminals will magically obey was pretty silly. What kind of police state are we looking for? Crap like this got the TSA goon squad generated and while anyone being murdered is horrible, much less little kids, we ought to realize that this is low on the list in terms of probability compared to other causes of death.

What should have happened was simply stating that while horrible, the 2nd is about protection from tyrannical government and people who have done no harm can't be punished for a crime committed by a madman. A right isn't subject to need, it isn't up for debate and isn't the governments to take. A reasonable suggestion would be to remove "gun free" zones where crazy people know is safe to carry out these plots.

Why do we tolerate the media BS spree? Why do we allow liberals to get wound up and then play their game instead of using reason and facts? When a retort like "tell that to the parents" is used, you can't win that point because it is emotional. 50,000 people die in the US each year from seizures and if we said 1% were children in this age range, the deaths are far higher than by guns but we still wouldn't suggest ER doctors in schools.

This is down to people believing the lies about guns and fear of guns. The government didn't give me rights and they're not theirs to take but the bible thumping wing is screwing all of us because when they call for infringement due to social concerns, they destroy the rights arguement. Why shouldn't the left feel OK to attack guns when the Right attacks gays? Both are BS based on illogical fear but set a precident.