Magpul PMAG for $59.95 Price Gouging? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Magpul PMAG for $59.95 Price Gouging?

Leper
12-18-2012, 14:13
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MAG-074

I've been trying to call them but can't get through yet. I saw this in relation to them suspending all online sales of firearms for the time being. Is it just me or does this seem like some opportunistic price gouging?

DJ Niner
12-19-2012, 02:00
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1458437

TangoFoxtrot
12-19-2012, 04:30
Any company that price gouges should be banned from ever getting any of our money again and make them aware of it.

Big Bird
12-19-2012, 05:05
Its not gouging if someone will pay it. How many people will buy mags if they were offered at their old price and turn around and sell them for substantially more than what they paid? Is that gouging?

Markets work. Price competition works.

Just because you want something at a price you consider fair doesn't mean someone is obligated to provide you that good or service for that price.

If you bought a house for $150k and real estate prices skyrockted in your area and you could sell your house a year later for $300k would you sell it at market value or tell the buyer--don't worry, I can't take that much money for this house. I only aid $150 for it and I would be price gouging you if you paid $300k for my house... Of course not.

If the bottom fell out of the AR magazine market and they were selling for $5 instead of the $18 retail price the dealer expected to make on that inventory would you go back to him and say gee..I'm sorry...I know these magazines are selling for $5 everywhere and I know you were expecting $18 so I tell you what--I'll make up the difference and pay you the $18. No of course you wouldn't.

Yet when prices go up due to demand a dealer that raises prices and can make money is a gouger? No, of course not. He's a fool AND a bad businessman if he sells at the old price point. Because a bunch of you guys are going to buy as manay as you can and turn around and sell them on AR15 EE for way more than you paid. Not all of you. But enough that the dealer is left with empty shelves and lost revenue.

I say get all you can get. You aren't entitled to anything at any price just because you think you are. You should compete for goods in short supply with all the other buyers out there. If some of them are willing to offer more than you are then you either get out of the market or come up with the cash.

HexHead
12-19-2012, 05:10
I don't see it as gouging on something that's basically discretionary. Food, water, gas, building materials after a disaster is somethng else.

Gunny Lingus
12-19-2012, 05:49
Any company that price gouges should be banned from ever getting any of our money again and make them aware of it.

As I posted on the other thread, it's been 4 years since I've even considered doing business with CTD.

GlockPride
12-19-2012, 05:54
As I posted on the other thread, it's been 4 years since I've even considered doing business with CTD.

Same with me, but they are free to charge what they want.
I may not be happy and will vote with my dollars somewhere else, but they are free to do it.

vafish
12-19-2012, 06:42
It's called business 101, supply and demand.

Demand is high, supply is limited, prices go up.

They are only gouging the idiots that didn't stock up when prices were low. A month ago Pmags were $10 each, if you needed them why didn't you buy them then?

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

03Cobra
12-19-2012, 06:47
I don't see it as gouging on something that's basically discretionary. Food, water, gas, building materials after a disaster is somethng else.

totally agree, it isn't like you have to have a pmag to live.

cesaros
12-19-2012, 06:47
I wont ever buy from CTD again since they bowed down the media and political vultures...bunch of cowards running CTD.

Price gouging is just another reason to add to the list.

Pilotdude3407
12-19-2012, 06:55

Demand is high, supply is limited, prices go up.

They are only gouging the idiots that didn't stock up when prices were low. A month ago Pmags were $10 each, if you needed them why didn't you buy them then?

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

Yes and no...while legally referring to things that people need in times of emergencies, it is still the same principal. THEIR cost did not go up, they are just doing this to take advantage of people and that is wrong. Gunbroker stuff doesn't bother me because you can bid and no one is setting a limit. I would have expected more out of such a huge online store. I also will not give them my business.

03Cobra
12-19-2012, 07:40
think of it this way, if they didn't raise prices, they would be sold out and you would have no option

eracer
12-19-2012, 07:50
Of course it's price gouging. That's how capitalism really works. Maximize profit. Take advantage of every opportunity to raise prices to the level that the market will bear.

Fleece the sheep.

Don't get me wrong, I feel no rancor for the gougers, and no pity for those who failed to grasp the simple fact that tragedies like the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary will happen, and that liberal scum in positions of power will always wash themselves in the blood of the victims to promote their gun-hating agendas.

If you haven't been buying guns, magazines, and ammo over the last five years, you haven't been paying attention.

DustyJacket
12-19-2012, 07:55
.. should be banned ...

Wow.
After all the moaning about a new gun ban, you want to ban a company.

If you don't like them, don't shop there.

Just like, if you don't like an AR, don't buy one, but don't ban mine.

Let's lay off the ban word. Use 'choice", perhaps.

---------------------------------
One other thought, look at it from their end:

They see their business probably taking a huge hit soon. They will probably never get to sell these items again after January.

Heck, their company may fold due to upcoming legislation. They will do what they can to survive.

I don't like it, but that is how "supply and demand" works.

LL6
12-19-2012, 17:27
Rationalize it how you want it's still price gouging. Seems it has drawn some attention from Magpul too. CTD is going to come out of this looking worse than Ms Lewisnsky's dress. :rofl:

http://www.guns.com/2012/12/19/and-so-the-shooting-world-says-good-riddance-to-cheaper-than-dirt/

Ruggles
12-19-2012, 18:33
CTD has been like that since at least 2008, nothing new from them. I like many have not given them a $1 since 08 and won't ever do so again. Too bad cause I like to support my Texas business.

camelotkid
12-19-2012, 18:41
I overheard a guy that was in the process of buying 200 pmags at $15 a piece just so he could flip them after a ban, guy didn't even own an AR :steamed: I hope any possible ban gets shot down in the house and when it does I will think of this guy who just got stuck with 3000 dollars worth of mags to a gun he doesnt own and laugh.

supatrucka
12-19-2012, 18:56
I just bought 6 pmags with covers for $90.

Dragline
12-19-2012, 19:02
Brownells is still accepting back orders for a 10 pack of Magpul 30rd. Pmags for $125 with free shipping using code DSR at checkout.

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazine-parts/magazine-kits/ar-15-m16-pmag-polymer-magazine-10-pak-30rd-pmag-black-10-pack-sku100-006-987-42583-79235.aspx

Will you actually receive it? I don't know, but you can put an order in if you want and they don't charge your CC unless the item ships so at $12.50 per mag it just might be worth placing an order.

boomhower
12-19-2012, 19:15
Brownells is still accepting back orders for a 10 pack of Magpul 30rd. Pmags for $125 with free shipping using code DSR at checkout.

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazine-parts/magazine-kits/ar-15-m16-pmag-polymer-magazine-10-pak-30rd-pmag-black-10-pack-sku100-006-987-42583-79235.aspx

Will you actually receive it? I don't know, but you can put an order in if you want and they don't charge your CC unless the item ships so at $12.50 per mag it just might be worth placing an order.

Came up for $120.99 for me. Not as good as dsg's $111 shipped last week but I'll take it. Tossed in three Glock 22 mags as well. Whether there's a ban or not that's a good deal. That puts me 26 mags this month with the Battlemags I bought for the Troy. I'm good now and done.

eracer
12-19-2012, 19:17
Never done, methinks....

rv4driver
12-19-2012, 19:18
I remember when gold was 300 an ounce. It's now around 1700. Gouging? Nope, sorry, it's a limited, and desirable commodity. If you don't want to spend 1700, fine, wait for it to be 300 again. Good luck with that. Same with Magpul mags. I got some a couple of weeks ago, good price. Now, however, it's a different game. Maybe you didn't notice what's changed lately. Don't want to spend it, don't buy. Not their fault you waited. Admit it, if you'd bought a few dozen a couple weeks ago, and now they were selling for ten times what you paid, you'd be thinking of selling right now. And not for what you paid a few weeks ago.

Gunnut 45/454
12-19-2012, 19:30
Just wait until the new AWB goes into effect! You think it's bad now give it a month! Thank God all the liberal gun owners here supported Obamamoa! If the New AWB is put in place just think of the thousands of unemployed AR makers! You all voted for it now your going to enjoy it!:rofl:

cwilson7
12-19-2012, 19:56
Saw a guy on another forum that said: "I don't even own an AK-74 but I just bought three mags for $11 because I know I can get at least $30 a piece for them later." Don't be a ******** like this guy and try and screw over fellow gun owners.
This is an artificial demand; on Monday there were plenty of mags / AR's to be had but today....no where to be found. Hurts everybody when people do this sort of thing and drive prices up.

Good Vid (I agree that CTD should be able to raise prices but I am not buying there ever again...good luck staying in business)
http://youtu.be/bWR2Y_NBsOQ

D.S.Brown
12-19-2012, 20:20
Some of you just don't understand how economics works. As was stated "price gouging" can only happen when there is an emergency, and someone is selling you a loaf of bread for $20. Food is kind of a necessity, and it is frowned upon to artificially inflate the price in an emergency to capitalize on peoples desperation, and hunger. Even saying all that I'm still not sure it qualifies as "price gouging."

The market is what it is, and it will dictate cost. Yeah what CTD is doing isn't smart, especially if things settle down. However in this artificially created climate of "desperation" made largely by our fellow gun owners who are clearing store shelves of stock, of course they are going to capitalize. However if gun owners, and potential gun owners didn't go rushing out to buy everything, and say let a week pass buy, you probably wouldn't see any changes in price.

For instance I'm at a new gun store in North Texas on Sunday. I'm looking at a Ruger Mini-14 all black with synthetic stock. Figured I might add it to my two AR's, A Daniel Defense and a BCM. I would likely have used it for home defense. On Sunday It was the only Mini-14 they had in stock, and didn't know when they'd be getting more. It was priced at $749.99 on Sunday. I go in last night, (Tuesday), and check the price on the same rifle and it is $999.99. On a side note the clerk tried convincing me that it was a new rifle they'd gotten in the day before. Uh huh. I went around to four random people that work there and asked if they'd received any new shipments in the last two days. All answered NO!. I didn't press the issue, as I was on the fence about the gun. More amused by the attempt at "deception" Anyway I told the clerk I liked it better at $749.99, but I wasn't going to pay $1000 for a stock Mini-14.

Could I have bought it? Sure! Was I going to buy? No because it was at a price point I wasn't willing to meet. Were they "gouging?" No, they were attempting to make more money because of market demand, within their right. And someone in need of an adequate semi-auto rifle WILL buy it at that price point.

So stop looking foolish, and calling it "price gouging" when really you want to say "I just don't want to pay that artificially inflated price, based on recent market demand." You can either live without your precious gear, or pay the higher price point, but stop whining about "price gouging" because some of your favorite toys got more expensive. Seriously to all who do this, your demeaning yourself, and showing ignorance as to how economics works.

Best,

Dave

Ruggles
12-19-2012, 20:22
I remember when gold was 300 an ounce. It's now around 1700. Gouging? Nope, sorry, it's a limited, and desirable commodity. If you don't want to spend 1700, fine, wait for it to be 300 again. Good luck with that. Same with Magpul mags. I got some a couple of weeks ago, good price. Now, however, it's a different game. Maybe you didn't notice what's changed lately. Don't want to spend it, don't buy. Not their fault you waited. Admit it, if you'd bought a few dozen a couple weeks ago, and now they were selling for ten times what you paid, you'd be thinking of selling right now. And not for what you paid a few weeks ago.

No doubt, don't pay if you don't want to. But as a business practice it is not forgotten by alot of folks. No one is calling for a legal actions or the like but just as they have the right to gouge on pricing we have the right to boycott them and spread the word. CTD are lying SOBs in my book inflating MSRP (which they do not have the right to set) to try and cover your own greed in down right dishonest business IMO. Alot of folks remember their shady practices in 2008 and won't touch them again. :wavey:

BTW not ever one is a greedy over charger, I am selling some NIB Brownells 30rds for $12 a piece to a guy at work, what I paid with shipping for them. Guy just got a 6920 last week and only has one mag currently. I have enough to spare some. :wavey:

Hokie
12-19-2012, 21:02
Yaron Answers: Should The Government Stop Price Gouging? - YouTube

RWBlue
12-19-2012, 21:37

I agree.

There is one question, when is it price gouging?

If I buy food, water, gas, TP to last me a month and my neighbor decides he would rather invest in gold, silver, and platinum, shouldn't I be able to charge what I want when he wants my supplies?

RWBlue
12-19-2012, 21:40
BTW not ever one is a greedy over charger, I am selling some NIB Brownells 30rds for $12 a piece to a guy at work, what I paid with shipping for them. Guy just got a 6920 last week and only has one mag currently. I have enough to spare some. :wavey:

You are a nice guy. If this was a planned purchase and bad timing, I would have probably done the same.

If it was panic buying and I know he voted for Obama, I might see how high we was willing to go.

Ignorance is acceptable and can be fixed.

Stupidity is unacceptable.

Pilotdude3407
12-19-2012, 22:40

I order this on SAT. Monday morning it said it shipped. We shall see if they actually get here. I went to Midway first but since they were limiting those, I got these. I will use 5 and save the other 5 for one of many options.

DJ Niner
12-20-2012, 01:20
How does everyone feel about CTD canceling orders placed BEFORE the price hike, saying their supplier can't get them the mags?

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1458763

D.S.Brown
12-20-2012, 05:55
How does everyone feel about CTD canceling orders placed BEFORE the price hike, saying their supplier can't get them the mags?

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1458763

Understanding the way CTD, (the mail order business) operates, I'm betting the most likely, and less ethical, but purely legal options are:

A.) They want to sit on the magazines, and when they are some of the only ones with a fair amount, sell them at a price that many of the economically uninformed will call "price gouging."

or:

B.) They are legitimately out of mags, and don't know when they'll get more, and feel that it is unwise to sit on customers money waiting for a magazine order, and then having to honor that magazine order by selling them at grossly uninflated prices, when the person(s) will most likely be "willing" to pay more.

It's called business folks. You don't have to like it at all, it's just how the market works.

Best,

Dave

bullittmcqueen
12-20-2012, 11:37
It's a shame this is going on. Regardless of supply/demand, making money, capitalism, etc....the fact that it is taking place in the face of a tragedy and is negatively affecting LEGAL GUN ENTHUSIASTS is terrible.

I will never visit CTD website every again. I've never ordered from them anyway because they've never been close to cheapest. They have the right to make their prices whatever they want. IMO this shows lack of conscience and integrity.

BenjiEDF
12-20-2012, 11:47
That's not price gouging, that is supply and demand in action.

skeeter1959
12-20-2012, 20:30
It's not price gouging, but a piss poor business practice. CTD lost me forever.

Ruggles
12-20-2012, 20:36
You are a nice guy. If this was a planned purchase and bad timing, I would have probably done the same.

If it was panic buying and I know he voted for Obama, I might see how high we was willing to go.

I agree. He just wanted to have 4-5 mags total, the kind of guy that would do it for someone else. I doubt he voted for Big O. :)

SpectreRider
12-20-2012, 22:51
Just watched a 10 pack of pMags that was started at $0.01 and closed with 44 bids at a price of $800.00 plus $11.50 shipping.

Leper
12-21-2012, 03:28
Rationalize it how you want it's still price gouging. Seems it has drawn some attention from Magpul too. CTD is going to come out of this looking worse than Ms Lewisnsky's dress. :rofl:

http://www.guns.com/2012/12/19/and-so-the-shooting-world-says-good-riddance-to-cheaper-than-dirt/

1. I agree. I've done business with them for some time but never again.
2. I already own more PMAG's than I could use in a life time.
3. If their is an AWB it's not like I can't get more. I will fall in the group that can still buy regardless.
4. Those of you that are justifying this price gouging, good for you. I'll be laughing when all the prices are that high from everyone because you lacked the guts to call it what it is. :tongueout:

F_G
12-21-2012, 14:43
Simple economics people, supply and demand. If you don't agree with a business's practices don't do business with them. Personally I don't find CTD's prices all that great, especially when you add in shipping from multiple locations. But, I have bought a few things from them over the years that were great deals.

P99er
12-21-2012, 15:05
Definitely (is price gouging).

cowboy1964
12-21-2012, 15:59
It is price gouging but who cares? Stay away from them. Let the manufacturer (in this case, Magpul) take them to the woodshed.

Leper
12-21-2012, 16:03
For those of you that would defend companies like CTD that are simply price gouging this is what Magpul has to say....

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/12/19/magpul-statement-on-magazine-prices/

We've received a lot of comments about some retailers charging extremely high prices for our products. We strongly discourage pricing strategies like this with our direct customers, as we just don't feel right about it. Those retailers who are buying through distribution, and not direct, may be worried about supply and reacting to the market with this pricing increase. We are firm believers in free capitalism, and as long as no one is damaging market value through their pricing strategy, we will allow the market to correct this situation, as it appears it already is. We intend to continue to produce and sell our products to support the MSRPs we have set. Magazines will continue to flow to those retailers, distributors, and OEM customers with whom we have direct relationships.

Rupert
12-21-2012, 16:06
Gouging or not, it's fascinating to see it happen overnight.

RWBlue
12-21-2012, 16:59
For those of you that would defend companies like CTD that are simply price gouging this is what Magpul has to say....

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/12/19/magpul-statement-on-magazine-prices/

We've received a lot of comments about some retailers charging extremely high prices for our products. We strongly discourage pricing strategies like this with our direct customers, as we just don't feel right about it. Those retailers who are buying through distribution, and not direct, may be worried about supply and reacting to the market with this pricing increase. We are firm believers in free capitalism, and as long as no one is damaging market value through their pricing strategy, we will allow the market to correct this situation, as it appears it already is. We intend to continue to produce and sell our products to support the MSRPs we have set. Magazines will continue to flow to those retailers, distributors, and OEM customers with whom we have direct relationships.

My interpretation.
As expected people complain thinking they can some how work the system. If the market is going up permanently, we would like our cut. If we are not getting our cut, we don't like seeing others get rich on our stuff, As long as no one is charging less than the rate we set, we will not interferer. It appears that this is just a bump in pricing, we will continue to charge the rate the market will bear and not play this spike.

RWBlue
12-21-2012, 17:00
Gouging or not, it's fascinating to see it happen overnight.

Watch Amazon pricing of DVDs, it happens ever y hour. Don't buy on week ends.

OJ.
12-21-2012, 18:21
Simple economics, supply and demand.

It should make you proud to be a capitalist and is somewhat uniquely American, if this was a communist society they would have been price fixed and none would be available anywhere.

Market forces will correct the situation soon enough, just sit back and watch.

dtuns
12-21-2012, 18:24

This would still be going on if Romny was in office it just wouldn't have started till after Sandy Hook

RWBlue
12-21-2012, 18:49
This would still be going on if Romny was in office it just wouldn't have started till after Sandy Hook

You don't know that. The republicans know that if the gun people leave their party, they will never win again.

Rupert
12-21-2012, 19:24
Just watched a 10 pack of pMags that was started at $0.01 and closed with 44 bids at a price of $800.00 plus $11.50 shipping.

I bought a 10 pack of pmags from brownells last Friday for $125 free shipping!

Bow Commander
12-21-2012, 23:46

So you're saying Cheaper than Dirt's price was actually a GOOD deal?! Lol

fuzzy03cls
12-22-2012, 08:49
Never going to sell them, but I wonder what I could get for my surefire 100 rounders?.......

devildog66
12-22-2012, 09:00
Caveat emptor. A fool and his money... Buy low and sell high.

Look, I would be selling these at ridiculous prices also if I had them to sell. Unlike the government, I would not be forcing anyone to pay me for them. The best lesson I ever had in economics (and politics) is to run the opposite direction of the majority.

Ammo and AR/AK stuff had been languishing and suddenly people with money and no sense will pay jacked up prices for the object of their desire, then they will sell at the bottom - AGAIN.

Glockdude1
12-22-2012, 09:27

I placed a order for the 10 pack window pmags.

:cool:

RWBlue
12-22-2012, 12:17
The best lesson I ever had in economics (and politics) is to run the opposite direction of the majority.

Having lived through a lot of crap including the last ban....that advice is not always good.

But it usually works in finance.

fuzzy03cls
12-22-2012, 15:07
I will stop shooting if this continues. Simple as that. My stuff will sit collecting dust,. I could barley afford what i have bought & took forever to save $ to get it.

Spiffums
12-22-2012, 19:44
I think Im going to tell that escort on Craigslist that I can get the same thing for $20 from a streetwalker and then she can tell me how she is a colt and the SWer is a bushmaster!

JuneyBooney
12-23-2012, 02:06
Its not gouging if someone will pay it. How many people will buy mags if they were offered at their old price and turn around and sell them for substantially more than what they paid? Is that gouging?

Markets work. Price competition works.

Just because you want something at a price you consider fair doesn't mean someone is obligated to provide you that good or service for that price.

If you bought a house for $150k and real estate prices skyrockted in your area and you could sell your house a year later for $300k would you sell it at market value or tell the buyer--don't worry, I can't take that much money for this house. I only aid $150 for it and I would be price gouging you if you paid $300k for my house... Of course not.

If the bottom fell out of the AR magazine market and they were selling for $5 instead of the $18 retail price the dealer expected to make on that inventory would you go back to him and say gee..I'm sorry...I know these magazines are selling for $5 everywhere and I know you were expecting $18 so I tell you what--I'll make up the difference and pay you the $18. No of course you wouldn't.

Yet when prices go up due to demand a dealer that raises prices and can make money is a gouger? No, of course not. He's a fool AND a bad businessman if he sells at the old price point. Because a bunch of you guys are going to buy as manay as you can and turn around and sell them on AR15 EE for way more than you paid. Not all of you. But enough that the dealer is left with empty shelves and lost revenue.

I say get all you can get. You aren't entitled to anything at any price just because you think you are. You should compete for goods in short supply with all the other buyers out there. If some of them are willing to offer more than you are then you either get out of the market or come up with the cash.

I see it as gouging just like when gas stations raise gas prices in the middle of the night after a world event.

caraker0341
12-23-2012, 22:11
Mr Brown appears to have the right of this. However, I reserve the right to whine like a fat kid who can't reach the cookie jar when stuff I want is either unavailable or priced out of my reach. I will also happily shower distributors with my hard earned cash like a rapper at a titty bar when they have something I both want and can afford. Such is life.
Also, seeing "Pre-Ban" every other word irks me almost as much as the word "Tactical". I am sure UTG will come out with a "Pre-Ban Tactical" line of gear soon.

chemcmndr
12-23-2012, 23:50
I was helping a friend run a booth that sells AR-15 parts/accessories at a show this weekend. We had several cases of magazines (Orilite, Lancer, USGI w/ anti-tilt follower, CAA, and Gen 3 PMAGS) all 30 rounders. We had them priced at $20 each for everything but the PMAGS, which were $30 each. Nine times out of ten, people bought the PMAGS. The idea was that we wanted to sell the stock of the other mags, because we knew the PMAGs would sell. Other dealers at the show were charging $40-$50 a mag and people were still buying them.

The part that doesn't make sense is this: Today we had another dealer come and buy one of the cases of USGI mags that we had, and he was reselling them for $30 each, and people were buying them.