Colt LW Commander XSE (problem) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt LW Commander XSE (problem)

MLittle
12-18-2012, 21:31
I was hoping some of you 1911 experts could/would diagnose my problem with my pistol.

Here are the facts:

1) Rounds through pistol to date: 1,500
2) I'm a left handed shooter
3) Use Wilson 47d magazines exclusively
4) Just replaced the slide release with a Wilson sl
5) The plunger tube is not loose
6) Have a brand new recoil spring (18lb)

After the first couple hundred rounds the pistol ran 100% Since the first of November I've experienced the slide locking open on the last, or next to last round. The last round is just sitting there loose in the open action. Folks on the 1911 forum offered some solutions....one was to change out the slide lock....which I did. "Experts" told me that changing out the sl would fix 95% of these kinds of problems. Well.....maybe not. Mind you, I ran 100% for over 1,000 rounds....the failures started recently. I'm using new Wilson magazines. I intended to carry this pistol and recently sent the pistol to Novak and had night sights installed. I'm VERY frustrated at this point having these issues. Maybe I should stick to Sigs and Glocks.... Does anyone have any other ideas on what can fix this problem? Thanks for any constructive advice......

Zombie Steve
12-19-2012, 08:00
Colt LW Commander XSE (problem)

Found your problem. :supergrin:

Kidding.

Did it just start with your new mags? Did anything else change recently?

MLittle
12-19-2012, 08:21
Found your problem. :supergrin:

Kidding.

Did it just start with your new mags? Did anything else change recently?

No, not really....... I guess I could treat the pistol as a 8 shot handgun rather than a 9 shot handgun. I still think it has something to do with movement of rounds forward in the magazine due to recoil.....then the tip of the fmj is pushing up on the inside frame lip of the slide lock lever. The problem seems to happen on the last round or so. I've shot over a hundred rounds of hollowpoints without issue, maybe the shorter hp round isn't hitting the slidelock tab.....

deadite
12-19-2012, 08:32
Does it do the same thing with the original mags?

Zombie Steve
12-19-2012, 08:59
What ammo are you using? If you have a set of calipers, what's the overall length of the fmj round giving you problems? Is it a normal "ball" / round nose profile? I usually load them at 1.260"... too long or too short can be an issue.

fnfalman
12-19-2012, 11:54
Gun worked fine until "modifications" and Gucci mags...I think you know what the problem is.

MLittle
12-19-2012, 14:10
Gun worked fine until "modifications" and Gucci mags...I think you know what the problem is.

Buddy.....ya lost me on that comment..............

fnfalman
12-19-2012, 15:47
Buddy.....ya lost me on that comment..............

Was the slide lock/release lever fitted to the gun or was it just popped in? If the slide release lever were to just popped in there instead of being fitted, that may be an issue.

Also, despite the hype, Wilson mags aren't all that.

I'd suggest either put back the stock slide lock lever or have somebody that knows how to fit a slide lock lever to the gun and look at it to see if it might have to be fitted to the gun for smooth function.

Then try the factory mags and see if the malfunction would recur.

Gun works fine until new part got installed and new mags got used, right? Ergo, something isn't right with the new parts & pieces.

Also, is the new recoil spring of the proper weight? I don't know top of my head if 18-lbs is the correct spring weight for a Commander type.

When all else fail, put all the original parts back in and retrace the problem.

Wyoming
12-19-2012, 22:16
It might be simpler than you think. Just don't ask a bunch of right handed shooters.

I am left handed. Could your trigger finger be bumping the slide release during recoil?

Road Dog
12-20-2012, 19:58
Have you been using the Wilson 47s the whole time or are they something new? When I shot my 1911s all the time I had problems out of my 47Ds that went away when I switched to Metalform after a GT group buy. I know with the internet hype some shooters will not believe it but I was not impressed with the Wilsons.