Since we are on the topic of "You don't need that!" ... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Since we are on the topic of "You don't need that!" ...

Fear Night
12-19-2012, 07:47
We are hearing a lot of, "You don't need that semi-auto rifle for hunting or any other reason" or "There is no NEED for anybody to ever own a gun like XYZ" kind of statements lately.

So that got me thinking, why do we need vehicles that have the ability to exceed the speed limit? Why don't we just limit all vehicles to a maximum speed of 85mph? (so the Texans can at least use their new highway, lucky dogs!). We don't have an autobahn in the US, and the privileges of the rare few that take their cars to racetracks will be sacrificed for the many.

I daily drive a sports car that can top out at 160mph, but I have never taken it there. There is really no point; I can't think of a single justification why I would need to go 160mph on a public highway. I also used to ride a 900cc sport bike that could hit 90mph in first gear, and top out at around 180mph. Talk about overkill.

I can think of more reasons why I actually need a semi-auto "assault rifle" than why I need a car that can run a buck sixty.

Not that I support any of these measures, but if we start giving up stuff based on the idea that "You don't need that!", we can see some things that may be coming next.

Thoughts, or anything else you can think of that falls into the "You Don't Need That" trap?

CitizenOfDreams
12-19-2012, 07:59
To each according to his needs, comrade. :wavey:

redhawk 44
12-19-2012, 08:00
And also the old "the founding fathers never envisioned an assault rifle" mantra is wearing a little thin too.

Actually the assault rifle is EXACTLY what they were thinking about when they included the 2nd amendment in the bill of rights.

But that aside, they never envisioned 24 hour cable news services when they included freedom of the press in the 1st amendment either, so why not limit CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC and FOX to certain news reports deemed newsworthy by an appointed "news czar"?:whistling:

Think that would fly with the liberals? Oh, I'm sorry....the progressives.

callihan_44
12-19-2012, 10:02
why would you need more than two kids? why have a house bigger than 1200 sq ft? why do you need more than $50,000 per yr to live off of? why would you need to live more than 20 miles from the place you work? why take care of the elderly when it costs more than they contribute back to society-workforce? etc etc etc

DustyJacket
12-19-2012, 10:14
You don't need these killers of people. Why not ban them:
--------------------------------------------------------
You don't needa sports car that exceeds 100 mph.
You don't need a motorcycle.
You don't need a private airplane.
You don't need a ski boat.

Child killers that should be banned:
-----------------------------------
You don't need a bicycle - wheeled bikes, trikes, etc are the number one killer of children.
You don't need balloons - number two child killer. Doom on a string.
You don't need to play football - football injuries kill more kids per year than guns.

engineer151515
12-19-2012, 10:17
Obamacare will be the tool used to force conformance with the State.

Just watch.

JimP
12-19-2012, 10:23
Don't go down the "need" rathole. COD hit it spot-on: it's all about obtaining power and telling people what they can or cannot have.

IceAxe
12-19-2012, 10:30
I love it when they bring up the "you don't need..." line.

We don't have a Bill of Needs, we have a Bill of Rights

certifiedfunds
12-19-2012, 12:20
Swimming pools

You don't need a swimming pool in your back yard. Residential pools kill more kids every year than guns.

Swim down at the community pool with the turd floating in it.

cowboy1964
12-19-2012, 13:58
Bill O'Reilly is saying it about every other sentence. Hey Bill, who needs a multi-million dollar mansion when there are tens of millions of people living in poverty every year? How many would be saved if we just took what you have and redistribute it to where it is needed?

smokin762
12-19-2012, 14:02
More freedom, not less.

I need everything I want since I am paying for it.

Alpine
12-19-2012, 20:27
We are hearing a lot of, "You don't need that semi-auto rifle for hunting or any other reason" or "There is no NEED for anybody to ever own a gun like XYZ" kind of statements lately.

Let's apply that to some other constitutional rights:

Who really needs to join a fraternity? It's just a bunch of rich jerks whose daddies buy them out of trouble when they poison someone to death with alcohol.

Who needs to attend church more than once a week? Just think of all the evil that has been done in the name of religion.

Who needs to be able to subscribe to more than one magazine? Times have changed. Paper publications contribute to deforestation and global warming I mean climate change.

Who needs to be able to look at internet gun forums? America's blood-soaked gun culture must be tamed.

Who needs to go to the movies more than once a week? Gatherings like that are too dangerous nowadays and draw out the mass murderers.