which light and vertical grip for AR [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : which light and vertical grip for AR

win
12-19-2012, 20:36
I have a 16" AR. I want a rear push button light for it. Which one should I get? Also which vertical grip should I look at? The one with the bi-pod looks cool.
thanks again

WoodenPlank
12-19-2012, 20:43
Lights and vertical grips are pretty subjective.

What is your budget?
What's your intended use? If you;re using your AR for home defense, a bipod grip is overkill.

win
12-19-2012, 20:50
I have a limited budget. I hope I never have to use them. Just want to try a vertical grip for range use. Thought it might help with standing and shooting. The light is just in case thing go to hell. Just want to think ahead

.50 cal
12-19-2012, 20:59
Surefire G2X 320 lumens version, IWC mount, tango down stubby or Magpul vert grip

WoodenPlank
12-19-2012, 21:00
For a vertical grip just to try out, look at a Magpul rail vertical grip (RVG). They're around $30. I have the MOE handguard version on my 16" middy, and it works nicely.

For a light, save up a little money for a good one. If you already have some kind of rail (or a handguard that will let you add one easily) then something like a Surefire 6PX and a Viking Tactics light mount, or one of several other offerings. The 6PX standard is about $81 on LA Police Gear (http://www.lapolicegear.com/sf-6px-c-bk-320-tac.html), and outputs 320 lumens. That's a bit overkill for indoor use, IMO, but still a damn good light for the money. The VTAC mount is $25. (http://www.vikingtactics.com/lightsmounts_lightmount.html) The light has a button on the back for momentary activation, and you tighten the tailcap for constant on.

So, for $105 (assuming you already have a rail) you have a rugged, aluminum-bodied, 320-lumen weapon light, and $30 for a foregrip.

win
12-19-2012, 22:44
10 4
I already have a quad rail for the ar.
thanks

WoodenPlank
12-19-2012, 22:47
10 4
I already have a quad rail for the ar.
thanks

So long as that rail is of decent quality, then you should be solid with the RVG and the light setup I mentioned. The G2X is a cheaper option, but I have seen the G2 series tailcaps crack from impacts - something the aluminum 6P series light don't have anywhere near as much of a problem with.

MrMurphy
12-20-2012, 05:47
What Plank said.

Though I've used the G2 and G3 extensively on duty on a rifle and did not see any crack, I can see a situation or two they might.

These days I'd recommend a single stage Fury if you have the budget.