Court rulings limit options of Obama's gun-control task force [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Court rulings limit options of Obama's gun-control task force

snerd
12-20-2012, 00:02
The Obama administration’s high-level gun-control task force, established Wednesday, will be navigating tricky legal terrain reshaped by Supreme Court conservatives.

Some state and local gun-control measures already have died over the past 41/2 years, done in by the high court’s 2008 ruling that recognized expansive constitutional protections for firearm ownership. Similar Second Amendment restraints will limit the ambitions of the Obama gun task force and its Capitol Hill counterparts.

“The Supreme Court has decided that the amendment confers a right to bear arms for self-defense, which is as important outside the home as inside,” Judge Richard Posner of the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals noted in a ruling last week.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/12/19/3974005/supreme-court-rulings-limit-options.html

cowboy1964
12-20-2012, 01:24
There's a big difference between the court deciding that Illinois law is too restrictive (for example) and doing the same with an "assault weapon" ban.

I haven't heard anything in Feinstein's AWB that could possibly be ruled unconstitutional with the possible exception of being unable to transfer magazines.

beforeobamabans
12-20-2012, 01:35
Yeah, she was crowing about how her first AWB was never challenged. This one will attempt to go further though. I wonder if her "prospective ownership" concept would survive a court challenge if it makes it through Congress. I'm no attorney but that sure doesn't sound like "equal protection under the law".

series1811
12-20-2012, 08:44
Obama has four years of waiting for one conservative to die or get off the bench for a chance to fix that. One of the reasons this election was so important.

Gunnut 45/454
12-20-2012, 11:56
cowboy1964
It isand would be unconstitutional if they applied the definition of shall not be infringed! Cause they are infringing on all our rights to own and posses any type firearm we wish to own!
They are restricting the type and manner in which we use those firearms! They are going to make a legal weapon -illegal to have and use! The 2nd forbids the Feds from making any law that infringe upon the right!:steamed: