Accessorizing my AR [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Accessorizing my AR

xmanhockey7
12-20-2012, 00:15
Currently I have a stock Bushmaster AR-15 like this. I'm looking to add a rail system so I can put an eotech, fore grip, and flash light. I want to go tactical with this gun. Any suggestions regarding what rail, fore grip, and flashlight to get? My budget for everything is about $1,000 and I figure the eotech will set me back about $500. I would also like to try and keep it as light weight as possible for the stuff I'll be putting on.
http://www.internationalpolicesupply.net/LE-Patrolman-Carb-A2-Blue.jpg

mvician
12-20-2012, 00:40
If your upper is an A2 as shown in the picture the best advice would be to sell it or to have the upper receiver replaced with a "flat top" upper.

An EOTech is not going to play well mounted on a rail or a gooseneck scope adapter.

xmanhockey7
12-20-2012, 00:44
If your upper is an A2 as shown in the picture the best advice would be to sell it or to have the upper receiver replaced with a "flat top" upper.

An EOTech is not going to play well mounted on a rail or a gooseneck scope adapter.

Okay. My brother put his on the same gun. He knows more about this stuff than I do I'm mostly just into handguns but with what's going on it's time to do things to my AR now instead of later.

DAIadvisor
12-20-2012, 02:24
You can get an inexpensive UTG rail for about 40 bucks with all the covers, see if you like them That way you don't blow 300 bucks on something you'll later hate. Another question you want to ask yourself is - is this going to be my "range only" gun or are you actually going to carry it around for hours on end. All the tacticool crap adds a lot of weight to the weapon, plus it snags on everything imaginable and gets banged up (First hand experience, I am currently in Afghanistan).

Personally If you want EOtech on it, I would get a front quad rail and mount it there, so it co-witnesses with your iron sights you already have. Don't bother changing uppers, it's not really worth it IMO. And get a good wide combat sling for it.

xmanhockey7
12-20-2012, 04:03
You can get an inexpensive UTG rail for about 40 bucks with all the covers, see if you like them That way you don't blow 300 bucks on something you'll later hate. Another question you want to ask yourself is - is this going to be my "range only" gun or are you actually going to carry it around for hours on end. All the tacticool crap adds a lot of weight to the weapon, plus it snags on everything imaginable and gets banged up (First hand experience, I am currently in Afghanistan).

Personally If you want EOtech on it, I would get a front quad rail and mount it there, so it co-witnesses with your iron sights you already have. Don't bother changing uppers, it's not really worth it IMO. And get a good wide combat sling for it.
Thank you. What do you use? I'm now considering getting the Aimpoint CompML3 instead. And it'll probably be mostly a range gun but I'd like to be able to use it for home defense and if I decide to participate in any classes in the tactical use of them. I realize adding these things will make the gun heavier which is why I am trying to keep the stuff I add on light weight.

Ewalk
12-20-2012, 04:12
Check Out The Daniel Defense LiTe AR Rail. Love Mine And It Is Very Light.

DAIadvisor
12-20-2012, 11:35
Thank you. What do you use? I'm now considering getting the Aimpoint CompML3 instead. And it'll probably be mostly a range gun but I'd like to be able to use it for home defense and if I decide to participate in any classes in the tactical use of them. I realize adding these things will make the gun heavier which is why I am trying to keep the stuff I add on light weight.

My issued rifle is a Colt M4 with Knight's Armament front rail, 4x32 ACOG with red dot backup and PEQ15. Pretty standard layout. In your case, you could mount a scope on top of the carry handle, but it will be uncomfortably high and vulnerable to being knocked off. Best bet is to use 1x magnification sight on the front rail. There's actually a ACOG Reflex sight that mounts on the carry handle, but sight is actually positioned in front of the carry handle and down. It's an older design, so I am not sure if they still sell those. For home defense 1x is perfect.

http://ultimak.com/gallery/artrij.jpg

WoodenPlank
12-20-2012, 11:45

Completely agreed, except for the gooseneck bit - I think that's actually a viable option for people with fixed carry handles. However, the better option is replacing the upper receiver with a flat top.

Mounting ANY kind of sight to a railed handguard is a bad idea, as that system has a bad habit of not holding a zero very well.

Not a fan of EO Tech sights, but an Aimpoint ML3 is a solid choice. Also keep an eye out for the Aimpoint PRO. If you catch one on sale, they go for as little as $370.

Gunny Lingus
12-20-2012, 11:58
Never was a big fan of junking up the carry handle.

Consider buying a new upper with a flat top and rails that you can fancy up with doo-dads.

xmanhockey7
12-20-2012, 12:19
I will remove the carry handle off the gun and I am now seriously looking at the Aimpoint ML3. Someone suggested the comp2 and that got me looking into other Aimpoints. I think the ML3 would be a great choice.

GunLoverLiberty
12-20-2012, 14:41
I will remove the carry handle off the gun and I am now seriously looking at the Aimpoint ML3. Someone suggested the comp2 and that got me looking into other Aimpoints. I think the ML3 would be a great choice.

It kind of makes me wonder why you even bought that style of rifle if you're planning on changing it to a whole different upper..

xmanhockey7
12-20-2012, 15:17
It kind of makes me wonder why you even bought that style of rifle if you're planning on changing it to a whole different upper..

I got it a couple years ago and it was actually a gift. I figured at some point I'd start adding stuff like optics and what not but not for a while. But with all the potential of an AWB I want to get it going now rather than later.

Meanie5470
01-13-2013, 02:35
My issued rifle is a Colt M4 with Knight's Armament front rail, 4x32 ACOG with red dot backup and PEQ15. Pretty standard layout. In your case, you could mount a scope on top of the carry handle, but it will be uncomfortably high and vulnerable to being knocked off. Best bet is to use 1x magnification sight on the front rail. There's actually a ACOG Reflex sight that mounts on the carry handle, but sight is actually positioned in front of the carry handle and down. It's an older design, so I am not sure if they still sell those. For home defense 1x is perfect.

http://ultimak.com/gallery/artrij.jpg
Id say this style mount is your answer especially if youre putting a reflex like an Eotech or a 1x red dot on it. Ive seen people with this setup and they love it. Your other option is to just get a rail and mount the optic on that. They say its not the best at holding zero but I think with a quality rail its good enough for closer range with a reflex. And you can co witness. And actually use the handle to carry your gun lol. Not saying I would do it but there ARE plenty of people with an optic mounted on top of the handle with good results. Either way, there is no reason to change your upper. You can work with it.

Meanie5470
01-13-2013, 02:46
This is the carry handle acog setup he was talking about. If for some reason this guy didnt sell this thing I would buy it in a heartbeat if I were you.
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=7&f=163&t=950314

Just_Me
01-13-2013, 03:01
Daniel defense makes the best rails for the money. Their Ez car rail is an excellent piece.

Nothing wrong with eotech, aimpoint, or trijicon. They all make quality kit. Ford vs Chevy really.

For the uses you have never underestimate the idea of putting a good night sight on the rifle and skipping an optic and spending the left over money on ammo and training.

vettely
01-13-2013, 03:15
Have both (Aimpoint/EOTech) and the XPS is an excellent optic.

BobbyS
01-13-2013, 03:29
Be sure to put on one of the shoulder things that go up.

Batesmotel
01-13-2013, 03:46
Many here consider me the Jerk in Residence on glock talk because everything I say pisses someone off. That said, I am old school. I hate crap hanging off of a fine weapon.

Learn to use the sights and buy ammo.

AZson
01-13-2013, 06:49
I just bought a basic flat top Bushmaster poly, it came with a red dot and other then a heavier buffer and a Limbsaver pad because it weighs less then 6lbs so it's recoil is a bit harder, I'm keeping it stock, but that is because my first one I did put all the bells a whistles on it. So I can see going either way. Your call.
I love my Eohtech so you cannot go wrong there and most front rail systems will almost double the weight of the gun.

faawrenchbndr
01-13-2013, 08:02
Stay away from UTG garbage!

Get a ARMS gooseneck mount & a Comp M2........
Best bet would be to leave it alone, iron sights will not fail, batteries
will not die, and they will not lose their zero.

bmoore
01-13-2013, 09:47
Stay away from UTG garbage!

Get a ARMS gooseneck mount & a Comp M2........
Best bet would be to leave it alone, iron sights will not fail, batteries
will not die, and they will not lose their zero.

+1. UTG is junk/a waste of your money.

gbanker
01-13-2013, 10:54
Do you like the fixed front sight post? When you shoot, how far do you extend your grip? Do you like quad or tubular?

A 11+" rail will extend out past the fsp and will allow you to get an extended grip. A longer rail will also give you an option for a bipod later (if you choose - AR modifying can get pretty addicting), without possibly needing to move your vertical or afg type grip.

I have a DD defense Omega (Quad) and Vtac Alpha 13 rail (tubular). Very different rails but love them both.

Flashlight setups can get expensive, so many different brands, lumens, mounts etc. I'm looking for a light to put on my 14" and my sig p226. I might just go with an X300 and switch back and forth.

Good Luck!

Tank44
01-15-2013, 18:23
I think this is what you need to do.

:wow:

bullittmcqueen
01-15-2013, 19:36

First off, in all honesty, if you want to run a quality optic on an AR, it can be done with a carry handle upper. But with the political climate the way it is right now and the way AR's are selling, you'd be MUCH better off to list that Bushmaster for sale right now and get as much $$$ as you can for it.

The market will calm down soon when some of the ban talk dies down. Then use the money you got from the Bushmaster and buy a Colt LE6920 A3 with flat top upper and removable carry handle. You'll find much better mounting options for any of a wide variety of optics. Personally I prefer Aimpoint to Eotech but whatever floats your boat.

Second, don't heed any advice which tells you to buy anything made by UTG. Also, NEVER mount an optic on the rail system in front of the upper. Optics should go on the flat top upper for the most stability and repeatable zero.

LA_357SIG
01-16-2013, 14:00
You could check out the A2 pic thread sticky in arfcom's A2 Builds section. Lots of upgraded A2 carbines in that thread.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

fnfalman
01-16-2013, 17:40
I just bought a basic flat top Bushmaster poly, it came with a red dot and other then a heavier buffer and a Limbsaver pad because it weighs less then 6lbs so it's recoil is a bit harder,

I don't want to sound like an ass, but for the love of Christ, heavy recoil from a 5.56mm/.223 cartridge in a 5-6lbs long gun? You do know that the original M16 weighed about 5.5-lbs?