Sig 556 Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig 556 Questions

wvtarheel
12-20-2012, 06:57
I bought a Sig 556 classic at Gander Mountain this week, our local shop was sold out of, well everything.

I think Gander gave me the handguard they sell on the 551 for some reason.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=45&t=297075

Those pictures confirm, I have the handguard on the top of the picture, not the one on the bottom.

SO the upside is I got a nicer handguard, the downside is I cannot attach rails to the handguard, which is a bit of a bummer because I definitely want to attach a bipod.

Anyone got experience with this issue? Should I ask Gander to provide me with the factory handguard for the model I bought? Anyone dealt with Gander on something like this?

wvtarheel
12-20-2012, 07:05
Also noticed the gun is supposed to come factory stock with an additional 1 inch buttpad, which Gander failed to provide. I think they may have just thrown the gun I bought into the wrong box and handed it to me.

What do you guys think, should I ***** and moan to Gander and see what they will do for me or just be happy I got a hard to find handguard and forget it?

smokin762
12-20-2012, 07:49
I have owned a Sig 556 in the past. I will admit I am not a fan of them. If you donít live in a Ban State, at the front of your 556 under the gas block, you will see an eyelet with a pin hole in it. This is where you can attach a bayonet lug which looks like a round bar at one end. You have your choice for either a Swiss Bayonet or for the U.S. bayonet. You can also get an adaptor that goes in there for a Versa Pod bipod.

Here is a link for an online store that carries many options for the Sig 550 series rifles. I used to buy from them all the time. I also have a friend that is from Switzerland and he goes back home from time to time to visit family. I had the real green Swiss furniture on my rifle. He picked it up for me from one of their stores while he was over there. I still have the Swiss bayonet which is current issue just in case I wanted to pick up a Sig 556R.

Here is a link to the store.
http://www.cogunsales.com/index.php/U.S.-Made/Swiss-Style-Bayonet-Lug-Pin-for-SIG-556-SWAT-Rifle/flypage.pbv.v1.tpl.html

wvtarheel
12-20-2012, 10:02
Thanks so much Smokin. I will have to double check for the lug hole when I get home this evening, that looks like a great solution to my issue.

smokin762
12-20-2012, 13:01
Thanks so much Smokin. I will have to double check for the lug hole when I get home this evening, that looks like a great solution to my issue.

With the Versa Pod, you can buy many adaptors for different rifles and you will only need one bipod. I think they are a smart purchase.

psycho steve
12-23-2012, 20:55
Sig sells the rails on their web site. $20 bucks. Just got them put on my 551a1.

wvtarheel
12-24-2012, 05:43
Sig sells the rails on their web site. $20 bucks. Just got them put on my 551a1.

Yeah funny that. The gun I bought came with a set of those rails but with the old school handguard there is no holes to screw the rails into.