When you forgot your wallet... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : When you forgot your wallet...

berzirk
12-20-2012, 13:34
It's happened a couple of times now in about 5 years of carry, where I leave the house and forget my wallet. Meant to bring it, thought I had it, but got to work, or I'm driving and I have that "ruh roh" moment. Fortunately work isn't too far from the home, but I've been fortunate enough to have my wife drop it off. That means that technically, I'm concealing illegally based on my understanding. (Not to mention, getting pulled over with no driver's license or CHL permit would not be particularly pleasant. The LEO would have record of both docs, but failure to provide would be uncomfortable at best).

The last time, I just took my pistol out to the car and hid it in the trunk until I got my wallet, but I'm wondering what others do. My state is a legal open carry, but I've got some major philisophical disagreements with open carry, not to mention I'd rather not walk around the office with a pistol showing. Surely I can't be the only one who has forgotten their wallet a couple of times, and still have their carry weapon on them. What do you guys do?

SCmasterblaster
12-20-2012, 13:39
I never forget my wallet. It is chained to my G17, sort of.

Caver 60
12-20-2012, 22:47
I have no idea if it's legal or not, but I've made copies of my drivers license and my CCW permit and keep a copy of each in the same plastic holder that my auto registration and proof of insurance is kept in. Never had to test it, so I don't know what would happen.

However in my state any adult (age 21 or over) not prohibited by law from owning a handgun can conceal it loaded anywhere in their vehicle with no permit required. Also open carry is legal in most places (but there are local OC prohibitions allowed in some cities). So the biggest problem would probably be no drivers license.

TDC20
12-20-2012, 23:02
That's a good question, it may be worth checking with your local LE agency to see how they would handle it and if they have any suggestions, like keeping a photocopy in your car (if that helps or not). I know when I leave the house with my carry gun, I always take my CCW permit out of my wallet and place it in my back pocket opposite my wallet. That way, if I'm ever in a situation where I can give up my wallet ($60 average and CC's that can be invalidated in minutes with a few phone calls) to avoid shooting someone, or if they get the advantage on me and it makes more sense to give it up than to try a John Wayne, then at least they don't get my permit when the cops show up to take my statement. Because of that, I'm never separated from my permit. I'm often separated from my wallet, because I don't like to sit on it all day.

HarleyGuy
12-21-2012, 00:31
Several years ago I went on a long motorcycle trip that involved several National Parks and at that time we could not carry there so rather than having to unload and disassemble my gun I decided to leave it at home.
On bike trips, I "slim-down" my wallet of all the unnecessary cards, etc. that I have and one of those cards was my CPL.

After coming home that totally slipped my mind until I was heading into town one day and the "light" in my head finally came on.
I quickly pulled to the side of the road, unhooked my seat belt and removed my wallet to confirm my fears, and yep, NO CPL.:steamed:
I turned around and headed for home and as I approached the one traffic light on our county road it turned YELLOW at the worst possible so I gunned the truck a little bit to get through the light.:tongueout:

As I went through the intersection I noticed TWO things:
A Sheriff's Department was sitting at the intersection (to my right) and I had NOT re-hooked my seat belt!:faint:

Thankfully, the Deputy chose not to come after me but if he had I don't think it woud have worked out very well for me.

Lord
12-21-2012, 10:21
It's happened a couple of times now in about 5 years of carry, where I leave the house and forget my wallet. Meant to bring it, thought I had it, but got to work, or I'm driving and I have that "ruh roh" moment. Fortunately work isn't too far from the home, but I've been fortunate enough to have my wife drop it off. That means that technically, I'm concealing illegally based on my understanding. (Not to mention, getting pulled over with no driver's license or CHL permit would not be particularly pleasant. The LEO would have record of both docs, but failure to provide would be uncomfortable at best).

The last time, I just took my pistol out to the car and hid it in the trunk until I got my wallet, but I'm wondering what others do. My state is a legal open carry, but I've got some major philisophical disagreements with open carry, not to mention I'd rather not walk around the office with a pistol showing. Surely I can't be the only one who has forgotten their wallet a couple of times, and still have their carry weapon on them. What do you guys do?

In TX, you can legally conceal carry while in your car whether you have a CHL or not. It's part of the castle doctrine now, and the vehicle is considered an extension of your home. forgetting your wallet should be an instant "turn around and go home" especially if you're carrying.

berzirk
12-21-2012, 10:49
In TX, you can legally conceal carry while in your car whether you have a CHL or not. It's part of the castle doctrine now, and the vehicle is considered an extension of your home. forgetting your wallet should be an instant "turn around and go home" especially if you're carrying.

In Oregon I believe we have the right to have a loaded, concealed handgun if we are on our way to shoot, without a CHL. Otherwise, I would need to untuck my shirt and open carry in my car, then I can leave my handgun in the car while I'm at work, and until I get my CHL.

The reason to not immediately turn around would be if you're beyond halfway. Maybe it helps if you get pulled over and you say you realized you didn't have it and were driving home, rather than carrying on, but if you've got 5 minutes til you're out of your car, or 20 to backtrack and drive home, it seems like it would be better to get out of the car as soon as you can. Dunno, I'm sure there are multiple valid opinions on it.

I'm just trying to decide if this scenario shows my stupidity more or less, than the time I got to work, patted myself on the hip, and realized I had my holster on...but no pistol. Heh, bedroom dresser was kind enough to hold it for me while I was out. :whistling:

Bruce M
12-21-2012, 11:40
I have to think that there might be a substantial difference between carrying a concealed firearm with no permit and carrying a concealed firearm with a valid permit but the permit not in immediate possession. Here I am thinking the former is a felony and the latter is a relatively minor offense. Similarly driving without a license is a crime but failure to exhibit a drivers license (that is otherwise valid) is a non criminal traffic offense, specifically a nonmoving violation. I am not certain how similar laws are in other states.

My guess, only a guess mind you, is that someone who has the forthought to remove their gun from the belt and place it in the trunk when they discover that they have forgot the wallet are probably the type of people who have little regular contact with the police and possibly often the type who would be most likely to be let go with little or no formal complications should they happen to become engaged with the police.

SJ 40
12-21-2012, 13:13
As long as I have pants on I have my wallet and gun on me. That said I don't need my wallet for a permit. We,all citizens of the state of Vermont have our permit,
It's this wonderful document refereed to as the state Constitution. Much as the founders of the United States intended,isn't Freedom Grand. SJ 40

Bill Lumberg
12-21-2012, 13:35
My wallet is my creds, so I don't really forget or misplace that much. But I have been caught without my driver's license. I know my number, and that helped. It's not something you want to do, but it's not the end of the world either.

cowboy1964
12-21-2012, 14:47
The reason to not immediately turn around would be if you're beyond halfway. Maybe it helps if you get pulled over and you say you realized you didn't have it and were driving home, rather than carrying on, but if you've got 5 minutes til you're out of your car, or 20 to backtrack and drive home, it seems like it would be better to get out of the car as soon as you can. ,

Wouldn't you still need to drive home later? :dunno:

ScottieG59
12-23-2012, 03:51
I use badges and ID all day on my job, and when I travel. It is one of the things I will always remember. I might forget my lunch or what day it is, but the iD is always there.

Bren
12-23-2012, 04:26
I just don't worry about it - not that big a deal.

glockman97420
12-23-2012, 08:49
I have been stopped without my wallet. Luckily, I got by with remembering my license number. No citation issued. I was not carrying, and I am glad that I didn't have to find out what would happen. It probably depends on your attitude, and the officer you get.

jay-bird
12-23-2012, 08:56
I made an illegal lane change.

I got pulled over with no seatbelt on, no wallet, no id, no ccw...

I had a glock 19 in the center consul - which i had unloaded as soon as I'd realized that my id was at home. As soon as the cop got to the window, I said - "sir I left my wallet at home, with my dl and ccw license; I have a gun in the car, it's right here a pointing to the center consul."

The cop let me go with no tickets.

jph02
12-23-2012, 10:00
In MI, not having your CPL while carrying concealed is a civil infraction. You could open carry, but carrying in a vehicle is automatically concealed. The solution here is to lock (in trunk or case) the gun up separate from the ammo.

Not long after I got my CPL, I met my kid at a restaurant for dinner. Shortly before arriving, I realized I'd forgotten my wallet—no way to pay for dinner and no CPL. I figured the kid could pay, but I hoped I didn't look too guilty when a police officer stopped for dinner, too. :faint:

Now, I double-check before leaving the house.

MSW
12-23-2012, 10:27
Oh my Iphone I carry a photo of a my LEO creds, DL, Auto Insurance card, my health insurance card and my CHP.

I've never had to use them but since I'm more inclined to have my phone handy, I've got it with me.

SCmasterblaster
12-23-2012, 13:29
As long as I have pants on I have my wallet and gun on me. That said I don't need my wallet for a permit. We,all citizens of the state of Vermont have our permit,
It's this wonderful document refereed to as the state Constitution. Much as the founders of the United States intended,isn't Freedom Grand. SJ 40

Not all citizens of VT can CCW. One has to be 21 years old and never convicted of a felony or that certain list of misdemeanors (domestic violence).

owl6roll
12-23-2012, 13:38
<~~~~Leaves wallet in uniform pants, all the stinking time.

SCmasterblaster
12-23-2012, 13:50
Oh my Iphone I carry a photo of a my LEO creds, DL, Auto Insurance card, my health insurance card and my CHP.

I've never had to use them but since I'm more inclined to have my phone handy, I've got it with me.

Good idea.

oldsoldier
12-23-2012, 13:53
MO Law stratight from the mo.gov website. Maybe your state has a similar website to look it up.

Duty to carry and display endorsement, penalty for violation--director of revenue immunity from liability, when.

571.121. 1. Any person issued a concealed carry endorsement pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall carry the concealed carry endorsement at all times the person is carrying a concealed firearm and shall display the concealed carry endorsement upon the request of any peace officer. Failure to comply with this subsection shall not be a criminal offense but the concealed carry endorsement holder may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed thirty-five dollars.

SCmasterblaster
12-23-2012, 14:00
MO Law stratight from the mo.gov website. Maybe your state has a similar website to look it up.

Duty to carry and display endorsement, penalty for violation--director of revenue immunity from liability, when.

571.121. 1. Any person issued a concealed carry endorsement pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall carry the concealed carry endorsement at all times the person is carrying a concealed firearm and shall display the concealed carry endorsement upon the request of any peace officer. Failure to comply with this subsection shall not be a criminal offense but the concealed carry endorsement holder may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed thirty-five dollars.

Back when I lived in NH and had a NH CCW, I used to keep a small copy of my CCW in my G17 - rolled up and hidden in the void behind the grip.

cowboywannabe
12-23-2012, 14:01
pat yourself down before you leave the house.

SCmasterblaster
12-23-2012, 14:45
pat yourself down before you leave the house.

That is a good, last ditch option.