New Black Rifle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Black Rifle

Trooper720
12-20-2012, 14:59
Just entered the black rifle world with a low cost, doesn't appear to be low quality, AR. Got a Del-Ton E-316 and added a MBUS rear sight. I simply can't afford Colt, LWRC, Daniel Defense, etc. It seems solid enough for my needs but really won't know until I get the chance to put some rounds down range. I'd like to get some honest opinions from those with first hand knowledge of Del-Ton products. It will be used mainly as a plinker and possibly home defense if it meets my reliability standards. All I ask is that you don't talk down on it simply because it isn't one of the above mentioned brands. I'm not a gun snob and will shoot what works regardless of the brand name.

WoodenPlank
12-20-2012, 15:05
Certain brands get trashed because they have a track record of having problems. Some folks buy a bargain basement AR that runs well and lasts forever, but the odds of getting one that is buggered up is definitely higher.

If you're new to ARs, get a competent armorer to check it over and make sure it's good to go. That's not a guarantee against problems down the road, but it might catch any pre existing problems.

Sent from the USS Sulaco.

WinterWizard
12-20-2012, 15:16
Don't run it too hard, keep it clean and only feed it good ammo. You probably won't have an issue.

Trooper720
12-20-2012, 15:31
I have a Colt A1 M-16 that I'm issued but aren't allowed to modify in any way. I basically wanted a decent AR now since I have a feeling they will be extremely hard to find at a decent price in the near future. I not an expert but do have some knowledge in firearms and this one seems as solid as some other higher dollar brands I looked at. Not gonna be used in extended gunfights(I Hope).

K. Foster
12-20-2012, 15:43
Del-ton doesn’t have the best reputation but some people use them with no issues. Since you already have the gun, what does it matter? Get some ammo, shoot the crap out of it and then you’ll know whether or not it’ll meet your needs.

boomhower
12-20-2012, 16:22
Go to range and run it through its paces. If it can make it a half a case without malfunction I'd be comfortable using it for HD. No, I wouldn't want to take it into a war zone and I'd more matuculous in looking over the parts as time goes on due to likely lack of MPI but for normal hobby/HD use it should serve you well.

Just remember, run it wet. Wet is more important that clean.(to a degree of course)