SA Loaded Malfunction [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SA Loaded Malfunction

nastytrigger
12-20-2012, 15:49
I recreated the malfunction at home with an empty case. At the range, ended up having to pry it out with the help of a friend and his pliers while I held the slide back (weapon wouldn't allow me much slide movement). Case mouth all chewed up.

Gun was my Springfield Loaded Park 5". Ammo was S&B 230gr through a Wilson 47D.

My first real malfunction with this weapon (not counting the Wolf cartridge I neglected to chamber in a bowling pin match). I'm just wondering if it's extractor, magazine, etc? Never had an empty case try to reload itself back into the magazine.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8363/8292773520_54a572f50d.jpg

Three-Five-Seven
12-20-2012, 17:25
It might be your extractor is on the "edge" in terms of tension and that crud has accumulated in the extractor channel to the point that it's caught up with you.

Clean it first (the extractor channel, that is) and make note of the amount of bend that's in the extractor.

nastytrigger
12-20-2012, 17:38
It might be your extractor is on the "edge" in terms of tension and that crud has accumulated in the extractor channel to the point that it's caught up with you.

Clean it first (the extractor channel, that is) and make note of the amount of bend that's in the extractor.

I thought it was clean in there. Turns out I've gotten lax in my cleaning of the 1911 slide assembly. More crud than I expected.

fastbolt
12-20-2012, 19:16
Presuming the extractor hook was in normal condition, I'd check the extractor tension.

I had that start happening with an older Commander, and since I wasn't a Colt Model O Pistol armorer at the time, I took it to our 1911 armorer.

Extractor tension was too light. (And no, I hadn't been loading the chamber without the magazine. It had eventually just happened after a LOT of rounds over many years.)

Jim S.
12-20-2012, 20:06
Is it possible that your recoil spring is too strong for the ammo you were using?

nastytrigger
12-21-2012, 09:58
Is it possible that your recoil spring is too strong for the ammo you were using?

Just the stock 16# spring.

I cleaned out my extractor channel. It was pretty dirty.