another ban question on builds [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : another ban question on builds

Diesel McBadass
12-20-2012, 17:00
So, basically, even if theres a ban, if you have a lower, its considered the firearm and can be built any way you want?

WEATHERBY460
12-20-2012, 17:02
good question.....can you also take a post ban gun and ad a adjustable stock and bayonet lug?

mvician
12-20-2012, 17:07
It all depends on if there is a new ban and how it is written.

XDRoX
12-20-2012, 17:08
It depends on what they decide to write into the ban.
During the last ban you needed to have fully built rifles before the ban. So a lower would have done you no good.

concretefuzzynuts
12-20-2012, 17:20
Take the seconds you devoted to debating here and write to your congressmen, senators and even to the president.

Tell them that you don't want to loose your gun rights. That the AWB is a bad idea!!

Diesel McBadass
12-20-2012, 17:27
so no switching stocks and such or putting on flash hiders and bayonets?

Diesel McBadass
12-20-2012, 17:37
and another question...if you layaway a gun pre ban can you finish buying and pick up post ban?

mvician
12-20-2012, 17:57
I am astounded by the lack of support from the gun owning members here.

Lack of support? Arguing?

You are asking questions about something that may come to be in the future.

So anything said would be pure speculation.

Diesel McBadass
12-20-2012, 18:04
We all support gun rights, were also optimistic pessimists, we hope for the best but have a plan for the worst

fuzzy03cls
12-20-2012, 19:45
How are they going to know? Say you have a pre ban lower, & all the parts before it happens....Then a year into it you want to build that lower & parts you own... How in the heck is the gov going to even know it wasn't completed before the ban? What about uppers? Say you buy a upper with no flash hider etc, but you put it on a pre ban lowers & add the fh...Again how are they going to know if the gun is the lower & is pre ban?

cowboy1964
12-20-2012, 20:19
How are they going to know? Say you have a pre ban lower, & all the parts before it happens....Then a year into it you want to build that lower & parts you own... How in the heck is the gov going to even know it wasn't completed before the ban? What about uppers? Say you buy a upper with no flash hider etc, but you put it on a pre ban lowers & add the fh...Again how are they going to know if the gun is the lower & is pre ban?

I suppose they wouldn't know. But you better have receipts for all the stuff proving you were in possession of it prior to the ban taking effect.

But like others said, let's see what the actual bill says first.

Reswob
12-20-2012, 21:02
During the last ban you needed to have fully built rifles before the ban. So a lower would have done you no good.

You have anything to back that claim up?

XDRoX
12-20-2012, 21:57

In CA you had to register your assault rifle. We can them RAW's. Registered assault weapons. You had to have a complete rifle to register it as a RAW.

No one knows what they're going to do this time around its all speculation. But I certainly wouldn't be hoarding lowers in hopes to be grandfathered in.

mgs
12-21-2012, 05:40
I always laugh at these discussions. Do you think the Morons in Washington will track or inspect or even have the knowledge to enforce anything they pass. There is not enough LE to inspect guns in homes or ask when stuff was built. This country is broke and can't hire people to enforce what they need to enforce now. Same with so called registration. They don't have enough people or money to even do the paperwork. They can't even pass a budget!......for the past how many years?

KevinFACE
12-21-2012, 05:55
I always laugh at these discussions. Do you think the Morons in Washington will track or inspect or even have the knowledge to enfore anything they pass. There is not enough LE to inspect guns in homes or ask when stuff was built. This country is broke and can't hire people to enforce what they need to enforce now. Same with so called registration. They don't have enough people or money to even do the paperwork. They can't even pass a budget!......for the past how many years?

QFT.

But never underestimate anyone.

Diesel McBadass
12-21-2012, 08:16
lets say you crack a flashhider or burn out a barrel, can you order a replacement hider or replacement barrel thats threaded and with a bayonet lug.

Gunnut 45/454
12-21-2012, 08:33
If it's Finsteins bill that gets pased NO! As her bill is to completely stop all new AR's from being built! Nation wide registration of all AR's. You will not be able to sell, transfer the AR to anyone else ever! When you die they have to be turned in the Government for destruction. And there no sunset clause. Step one in the total confiscation of all private arms! You get what you voted for! And many of you vote twice for the POS Usurper!:steamed:

FatBoy
12-21-2012, 09:01
So, basically, even if theres a ban, if you have a lower, its considered the firearm and can be built any way you want?

There is NO Bill up for a vote as of yet, so it would be impossible to say as I am no Nostradamus.

Under what little I have read about Di Fi's Bill absolutely not. Under the old National AWB, NO.

Reswob
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c103:1:./temp/~c103DvMcCH:e644150:

Lowers didn't have any evil features by themselves. Adding evil features after AWB would constitute making a new unlawful AW. You could however make a Semi Auto AR w/ no more than 1 evil feature; Pistol Grip. NO FH, Bayo lug, adj stock.

HexHead
12-21-2012, 09:04

Again, how would they know? Are they going to ban the sales of parts and uppers?

XDRoX
12-21-2012, 09:36
Again, how would they know? Are they going to ban the sales of parts and uppers?

I only know how it was in CA. You had to register your complete rifle as a RAW. You couldn't register a lower.

Reswob
12-21-2012, 09:45
There is NO Bill up for a vote as of yet, so it would be impossible to say as I am no Nostradamus.

Under what little I have read about Di Fi's Bill absolutely not. Under the old National AWB, NO.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c103:1:./temp/~c103DvMcCH:e644150:

Lowers didn't have any evil features by themselves. Adding evil features after AWB would constitute making a new unlawful AW. You could however make a Semi Auto AR w/ no more than 1 evil feature; Pistol Grip. NO FH, Bayo lug, adj stock.

The link is timed out but that logic doesn't make any sense (not that Lib's are logical). An AR lower IS the firearm, so an AR lower manufactured before any ban would be a pre-ban AR-15 type firearm. Common sense dictates you could build it any way you want.

MajorD
12-21-2012, 12:24
Definitely an it all depends question. Here in ny for evil features ( tele stock bay lug flash supp) the lower has to be pre ban to be legal. God only knows what any new legislation will look like

M&P15T
12-21-2012, 12:59
lets say you crack a flashhider or burn out a barrel, can you order a replacement hider or replacement barrel thats threaded and with a bayonet lug.

Dude, you keep asking questions that have no answers.

We get that you're concerned, we all are. But no one knows what the possible legislation will be.

No use fretting over it, just do what you want to do right now.

Sulfur
12-21-2012, 15:21
if they go the regestration route just make sure the lower(s) are built, and borrow a upper and get it registered, swap on to the next lower and repeat.

FatBoy
12-21-2012, 16:12
The link is timed out but that logic doesn't make any sense (not that Lib's are logical). An AR lower IS the firearm, so an AR lower manufactured before any ban would be a pre-ban AR-15 type firearm. Common sense dictates you could build it any way you want.

No you are wrong according to the ATF. Furthermore the ATF had an "opinion" during the ban that stated that once/if a complete "Pre Ban" AR was disassembled, if the lower was sold by itself, it was no longer "pre ban". Although, that wasn't specifically spelled out in the original Bill. People were selling them back then and I know of no one that was prosecuted. Plus, I have no idea how they could tell anyhow, but that was the was it was.

search HR 3355 "Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994" Title XI for the AWB part of the law.

Also an AR lower is the part of the gun that has the serial # on it. It MAY be made into a firearm, a pistol, or a long gun(rifle)( all have different definitions under the GCA c.1968), depending on how the person wants it configured.

jakebrake
12-21-2012, 16:16
i wouldn't call the orignial question pessimistic. realistic comes to mind. it's a possibility that we need to bear in mind. we, and any orginizations we belong to will fight this tooth and nail, but the end vote belongs to a pack of yodelheads that we elected (not we, per se...but collectively).

Sulfur
12-21-2012, 21:58
Sadly (if) untill this is written into law we will have no idea what way this is going to go. The libs are not going to spell this out for us ahead of time so that we can be prepaired for it, and the RINO's arn't going to tell us what they will settle for! This type of stuff will come down to last min back door deals.

faawrenchbndr
12-21-2012, 22:25
Take the seconds you devoted to debating here and write to your congressmen, senators and even to the president.

Tell them that you don't want to loose your gun rights. That the AWB is a bad idea!!

How are you to know that many have not already done that?

Diesel McBadass
12-22-2012, 15:26
writing my rep will do nothing, pingree got an f by bra. Shes a "proud progressive" or some nonsense.

MarkCO
12-22-2012, 17:02
It all depends on if there is a new ban and how it is written.

There is the correct answer.