Older Colt LW Commander [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Older Colt LW Commander

sawgrass
12-20-2012, 21:50
I was in a local GS today and they had an older blued
Colt Light Weight Commander. I could not get to the counter and was trying to squeeze in between a couple of guys. It basically looked like a smaller Colt 70 series from what I could see. It was priced just under a grand.

Thoughts?

bac1023
12-20-2012, 21:56
I've never been real big on the aluminum models, but many love them.

fnfalman
12-20-2012, 22:19
Depends on the vintage, I'd hit it.

sawgrass
12-20-2012, 22:24
Depends on the vintage, I'd hit it.

Good years-Bad years?

countrygun
12-20-2012, 23:02
the biggest issue for me in an older one would be to check and insure that no one polished or reshape the feed ram portion of the frame. where it meets the barrel ramp. the frame aluminum was hardened at the factory and if someone polished through that the softer aluminum was exposed and would get gouged by the bullet tips.

CAcop
12-20-2012, 23:02
Good years-Bad years?

To be honest if it is a used 1911 I could see there being more problems from people trying to improve it over the years vs. a bad production year.

Like how people think a mirror smooth feed ramp is needed and do it themselves with a Dremel.

sawgrass
12-20-2012, 23:06
I've never been real big on the aluminum models, but many love them.

I wanted to hold it. The only aluminum framed that I've ever shot was a revolver. It is the only gun that I have ever laid down and said "I'm done", with ammo still in the gun.

The two guys at this shop were buried with what appeared to be first time NICS people who were making mistakes on the form. I didn't stand a chance in handling the gun. If I would have stood there any longer I couldn't have left without an all matching with beautiful wood Yugo 8mm Mauser.

sawgrass
12-20-2012, 23:17
Thanks countrygun and CAcop. I won't be back in that area for about three weeks and I'm not feeling the vibe to make a special trip tomorrow. It will probably be sold.

countrygun
12-20-2012, 23:29
the Lw Commander is a great gun BUT IMO buying used one is best done wit h knowledgeable 1911 person with you. 1911 designs are one of the most "buba'ed' guns in history and the AL frames are a special hazard. I'd love to have one for occasional carry but...I'd have to get to know the gun well before plunking the bucks down.

fnfalman
12-21-2012, 00:07
First of all, I don't think that any MkIV is worth a thousand bucks even in near mint conditioon.

Secondly, I'd eyeball that aluminum frame quite closely to see if I can find some cracks. Those old Lightweight Commanders were cool to have but were not known for long lasting.

Also, unlike aluminum framed snubbies, the LW Commander still has enough size and heft to tame the recoil. Now, a Lightweight Officer, that has a bit of snap to it but still nowhere as bad as a lightweight snubbie.

Gunfighter2
12-21-2012, 00:35
I have owned a number of Colt LW Commanders, many years ago I owned one thatif you held the slide in your hand you could see up into the slide (yes it wasfactory), it was hollowed out to reduce weight I have never seen one like thatagain I wish I would have held on to that one. The S&W PD's are nice andlight and function well, both good extended carry weapons. As many have pointedout you do have to be very leery with modified 1911's I have come across somethat have been butchered past the point of no return!