Do I need to buy an upper for my SBR? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to buy an upper for my SBR?

Airborne Infantryman
12-20-2012, 23:00
I sold off my upper for my SBR a while ago, because I'm leaving for my deployment to Korea in January. Now that this **** has happened, I have nothing more than a Daniel Defense DDM4 V1, and a registered SBR lower.

Do I need to worry about getting an upper before I leave? I seriously don't want to end up having wasted my $200 stamp, because once I've left the U.S., there really isn't much I can do as far as buying stuff. :faint:

WoodenPlank
12-20-2012, 23:02
I sold off my upper for my SBR a while ago, because I'm leaving for my deployment to Korea in January. Now that this **** has happened, I have nothing more than a Daniel Defense DDM4 V1, and a registered SBR lower.

Do I need to worry about getting an upper before I leave? I seriously don't want to end up having wasted my $200 stamp, because once I've left the U.S., there really isn't much I can do as far as buying stuff. :faint:

No guarantee a ban will pass.

No way to know what will and will not be available until something actually starts to make progress in the House.

Even during the Clinton ban, pre-ban parts were available for pre-ban rifles.

SBRs uppers are highly unlikely to be going anywhere.

When in doubt, refer back to points 1 and 2.

Meanwhile, do we really need 5 ****ing threads about "OMG what if the ban...?!?1"

Airborne Infantryman
12-20-2012, 23:03
No guarantee a ban will pass.

No way to know what will and will not be available until something actually starts to make progress in the House.

Even during the Clinton ban, pre-ban parts were available for pre-ban rifles.

SBRs uppers are highly unlikely to be going anywhere.

When in doubt, refer back to points 1 and 2.

Meanwhile, do we really need 5 ****ing threads about "OMG what if the ban...?!?1"

I agree wholeheartedly. However, I wasn't "in the game" so to speak, during the '94 ban, so I just wanna make sure I'll be able to get what I need later. I can always order an upper while I'm in Korea, beings the upper isn't regulated.

XDRoX
12-20-2012, 23:04
No one knows for sure brother.
Good luck.

WoodenPlank
12-20-2012, 23:06
I agree wholeheartedly. However, I wasn't "in the game" so to speak, during the '94 ban, so I just wanna make sure I'll be able to get what I need later. I can always order an upper while I'm in Korea, beings the upper isn't regulated.

We don't know a damn thing right now, as no bill has made any significant progress anywhere at a federal level, and probably won't until January. Once they start hashing out actual provisions (if it even get out of committee), then you can start looking at what you need to buy before a ban - if anything.

I'm starting to get both tired of and frustrated with all of the panic around here. If people put half the energy into writing and calling their representatives and senators as they are into panic buying and planning, we would have a lot less to worry about.

Glockdude1
12-20-2012, 23:08

I have to ask, Why?

:dunno:

bullittmcqueen
12-21-2012, 11:53
No one really knows what's going to happen, but since SBR's are already regulated by the NFA, I doubt very much is going to change in the way of current NFA items.

That being said, if things get grossly worse and SBR's come under some sort of ban, couldn't you get a buddy or family member back in the states to order something for you? There's no requirement at all to order an SBR upper as long as it's not in the same vicinity as an unregistered lower, so anybody could order one for you and let it sit until you got back stateside.

And worse case scenario, all the SBR barrels dry up, you have already registered your lower and can take any other ar-15 barrel and cut it to the length you want. At least the way I see it.

Airborne Infantryman
12-21-2012, 19:43
Well, just scored a brand new Spike's Tactical 11.5" complete upper w/ lightweight CHF barrel and BAR Rail......paid about $125 over MSRP, but oh well. :faint:

Leper
12-21-2012, 22:20
This thread is confusing. You already have a registered lower correct? You have no need to rush into anything.

Airborne Infantryman
12-21-2012, 23:52
This thread is confusing. You already have a registered lower correct? You have no need to rush into anything.

From what I understand of the 1994 ban, unless the entire rifle was assembled before the ban, it could NOT have the "evil" features, regardless of NFA status.

Nothing would suck more than having a fixed stock and a muzzle break on an SBR........and that's just speculation in regards to the laws that may or may not be imposed upon us. :faint:

Oh well, its a pretty decent upper, and was the only brand new complete upper I could find. I needed an upper anyway. :whistling:

Supposedly, Spike's makes decent stuff, although I have no clue how he manages to sell rifles with the specs advertised for the price they're sold for. :dunno:

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/images/prodimg/STU5010-R1S.jpg

RWBlue
12-22-2012, 00:33
Do you know what you want?

Do you have the money to buy it?

IF something happened and you NEEDED to buy something while over seas, do you have someone who could receive it and store it?

WoodenPlank
12-22-2012, 08:43
From what I understand of the 1994 ban, unless the entire rifle was assembled before the ban, it could NOT have the "evil" features, regardless of NFA status.

Nothing would suck more than having a fixed stock and a muzzle break on an SBR........and that's just speculation in regards to the laws that may or may not be imposed upon us. :faint:

Oh well, its a pretty decent upper, and was the only brand new complete upper I could find. I needed an upper anyway. :whistling:

Supposedly, Spike's makes decent stuff, although I have no clue how he manages to sell rifles with the specs advertised for the price they're sold for. :dunno:

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/images/prodimg/STU5010-R1S.jpg

Think about that bit in bold for a second.

You have a stamped Form 1 or 4 in your hands. It lists a barrel length and overall length. Seems to me you have an iron-clad document showing you had a complete weapon prior to the ban. You even have photos posted in public showing it.

Airborne Infantryman
12-22-2012, 10:30

You have a stamped Form 1 or 4 in your hands. It lists a barrel length and overall length. Seems to me you have an iron-clad document showing you had a complete weapon prior to the ban. You even have photos posted in public showing it.

I needed an upper anyway. :whistling:

bullittmcqueen
12-23-2012, 21:08

My thoughts exactly. How in the world is the gov't gonna know when you slapped an upper on a lower when the form 4 is filed away already?

Glad you got the upper you wanted regardless. FWIW, I don't think we have anything to worry about in the end.