Ed Brown Experts [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ed Brown Experts

fasteddie565
12-21-2012, 07:26
Gents,

I stumbled upon an Ed Brown Kobra Carry Stainless, Previously owned, but NIB. Bobbed tail with a SN of 4XXX.

I am normally a Kimber Man, but thought this was a good deal.

I paid $2000.00 for it, what say ye?

akapennypincher
12-21-2012, 08:13
Truth can be found on the Ed Brown Web-site (http://www.edbrown.com/kobracarry.htm), as they list their retail prices there.

bac1023
12-21-2012, 08:25
If its unfired and like new, you did very well. Prices are on the rise.

I like Kimbers too, but you can't compare the two from a quality standpoint.

38 Super Fan
12-21-2012, 09:50
You did good! You won't be a Kimber man much longer. :thumbsup:

glock2740
12-21-2012, 10:49
I like Kimbers too, but you can't compare the two from a quality standpoint.

You won't be a Kimber man much longer. :thumbsup:
Double ditto. :cool:

FullClip
12-21-2012, 13:39
Just be very careful not to catch a case of the "Brown Bug"....could prove bad to your wallet!!:supergrin:

I picked up one just like yours in GEN III Black a couple years ago, and have had an urge to add to the collection, or maybe just another one to make a matched set and pick up an Urban Safari holster rig.

Enjoy your new unit and shoot the snot outta' it. Good fun wth a good gun.

SPIN2010
12-21-2012, 13:48
Nice gun! Not bad as others have stated ... they are on the rise. I would love to find a non engraved centennial EE for a good price.

tsmo1066
12-21-2012, 21:39
2K is a great price on a NIB Kobra Carry. I have a Kobra full-size that I spent considerably more on, and had to wait 8 months for delivery while they built it!

You got a good deal!

glock2740
12-21-2012, 21:49
While I love my EB KC in Gen III, I think the Gen III finish SUCKS ASS!!!

fasteddie565
12-22-2012, 05:52

Speak you mind Brother, you are among friends here....:supergrin:

I have about 300 rounds through this pistol now and am highly impressed. The action is as smooth as the prom queen's thighs.

I passed on a Special Forces a few years back. I may have to reconsider......:embarassed:

fasteddie565
12-22-2012, 05:56
I have read on other forums about the "Chain Link" checkering. As I studied it further, I am very impressed by this process and the effect it has handling / shooting this pistol.

When you look at the Kimber attempt at "Custom" checkering on the Super carry line, it may look cool, but does not offer the same effect. (Oh God, 38 super fan was right!)

faawrenchbndr
12-22-2012, 09:40
As long as the slide stop notch does not peen, like mine did,
THREE TIMES, I'd say you did well.
Mine was a 49xx serial number.

ca survivor
12-24-2012, 11:54
You did good!

dakrat
12-30-2012, 00:30
you got ripped off! but don't worry, I would be happy to give you what you paid for it. what say ye?

TacticalTshirtsREP
12-31-2012, 18:16
You did well.

As for GEN III, it's a polymer based paint. No matter what they call it. They didn't invent it. They are buying it from somebody. As such, they went with a soft coating. That's NOT a bad thing. As if it was too hard, it would flake and chip. Which looks like crap.

Most like GEN III for how it wears and it's corrosion resistance. It also does a good job of stopping corrosion even when visible wear. I've never seen one rust and I work in salty environments.

But...it's NOT a tennifer / metal type treatment. It's paint. Like most of these shake-n-bake finishes sold by all makers.

TTR

Ruggles
12-31-2012, 18:41
Good deal :)

From what I read:

http://www.migunslingers.com/

20-24 month wait right now for a new Brown 1911. I bought my Brown from George (MI Gunslinger) about 2 years ago and it was a 8 month wait at that point.

I have had a Wilson on order since Feb, 15+ months is the latest I have heard as far as build time. It is a .38 Super and I guess the .38 and 9mm are taking a bit longer than .45ACP to build right now.

I think you have done well :)

NEOH212
01-01-2013, 01:01
Double ditto. :cool:

Triple Ditto. :cool:

The Ed Brown 1911's are no comparison to Kimber in any way what so ever.

NEOH212
01-01-2013, 01:02

I've heard this from several people. Is it a durability issue?

How does it compare to Wilson Combat's Armor Tuff finish?

glock2740
01-01-2013, 02:30
I've heard this from several people. Is it a durability issue?

How does it compare to Wilson Combat's Armor Tuff finish?
Wilson's AT is WAY better than EB's Gen III crap. I'm sure you've seen some of my guns and seen that I've had several finishes NEOH. :cool:

NEOH212
01-01-2013, 15:32
Wilson's AT is WAY better than EB's Gen III crap. I'm sure you've seen some of my guns and seen that I've had several finishes NEOH. :cool:

It's a shame about Brown's finishes. As I said, I've heard several people say the finish just didn't hold up and started to show holster wear rather quickly.

I guess if I buy another Brown in the future, I'll get it in stainless again or else send it to Wilson Combat to have it finished in Armor Tuff!

zibby43
01-01-2013, 16:50
You did good! You won't be a Kimber man much longer. :thumbsup:

Couldn't have said it better.

The Ed Brown 1911's are no comparison to Kimber in any way what so ever.

Ed Brown 1911s are in a different class.

Ruggles
01-01-2013, 17:20
I had my Brown built w/o Gen III, just standard blue I guess you would call it. It has worn in all the normal places. Someday I am gonna get off my bum and send it off to get refinished. Not sure where, anybody who has a suggestion please share. Looking at a hard chrome :)

glock2740
01-01-2013, 21:58
I had my Brown built w/o Gen III, just standard blue I guess you would call it. It has worn in all the normal places. Someday I am gonna get off my bum and send it off to get refinished. Not sure where, anybody who has a suggestion please share. Looking at a hard chrome :)
Chris Peters at Metaloy is THE BEST hardchromer in the business. Trust me. :cool: I've had him do "several". As in about 10 or more. My SA Pro, early TRP and TRP Champion are at his shop as I type. As well as my Pistol Dynamics, which is just waiting on a deal to be finalized with Paul Liebenberg on having some extra work( HP cut, magwell and new trigger) before Chris strips it and sends it his way. Then back to Chris for new hardchrome. :cool: