Sooooo....in all the panic buying... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sooooo....in all the panic buying...

glock2619
12-21-2012, 07:33
A friend was going to take his 1911 to the pawn shop and trade it for a CMMG upper. I hated to see him do that knowing full well what the pawn shop would give him for it. So, I offered to loan him the money instead of getting rid of his 1911 knowing he would regret it later. No dice. He couldn't stand the thought of me just loaning him the $. So, he guessed at what they would offer him, and upped the price $50 from there, and sold it to me straight out.

I ended up (for a very reasonable price) with a V10 ultra compact. Steel frame, parked. Someone (somewhat reputable) changed the BTGS to a Brown memory groove, sights to a Heinie rear, and some Colt rubber grips (soon to be sold).

So, it's all ripped apart now. I'm knocking all the edges off of it, doing a bit more fitting to the BTGS, and will refinish it. My question is, what does it take to make these run? The usual suspects are correct extractor tension, etc. But what else? Is there a certain recoil spring I need to get it to run right?

All of my 1911's are fullsize, and having had some smaller ones, I absolutely agree that the further from fullsize you get, the tougher they are to get to run properly. But, I have heard that you CAN get them to run. Is the correct recoil spring, and magazine, and a clean and properly lubed gun all it takes?

Sorry, no pics. I know I'm breaking the rules there. :whistling:

B.Reid
12-21-2012, 08:18
Are you saying you bought a gun that doesn't work?

glock2619
12-21-2012, 08:43
Sorry. Confusing first post.

No, it runs great. He's had it for a couple of years and had no issues with it. But, since I've bought it, I ripped it all apart and started knocking the edges off of it etc. Normally, I change out recoil springs etc on any used guns I pick up, and was wondering if there's anything else I should be looking out for that I wouldn't normally on a fullsize.

Sorry about that.

22lb colt commander recoil spring from Wolff? What else?