SIG P239 for EDC? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SIG P239 for EDC?

Irelander
12-21-2012, 08:59
I've been looking for several years for a good single stack 9mm for IWB carry. I am a Glock guy through and through, but I just can't carry one on my thin frame without looking like I have a growth on my side. They are just too thick for me to comfortably carry. My current carry gun is a Kahr P380. Nice and thin but the 380 isn't my first choice for a defensive round.

Anyway, I've recently gotten serious about getting a 9mm carry gun. It doesn't need to be a sub-compact. I'm looking more for the mid-sized carry gun. I've always been a little put off by SIG guns just because of their price and the usual multitude of levers that adorn them. Anyway, I've been looking into them again since I am seeing more and more shooters at the range with them and they do seem like very well made weapons. The P239 has caught my eye and I am just looking for some input reliability and ease of carry. I realize that it is an all metal gun and will be heavier than a Glock 19 or Kahr P9. What are the pros and cons of the P239? Being a Glock shooter mostly, which trigger configuration would be the easiest to adapt to? I can't really get an idea of the size of the P239 so if anyone has a pic of one in their hand, I'd like to see it. Any other mid-sized single stack 9mm guns better/easier to carry? I am also looking into the Kahr P9 and S&W Shield. Thanks!

bogeyman
12-21-2012, 11:43
I certainly don't consider myself a firearms expert. That's why I read here more than I post. I only post if I feel that I can add somethig of value. That having been said, of all of my handguns, my P239 9mm is my favorite. I have shot Glocks, Springfield XD, M&P, Walther, Ruger, Beretta and Colt. The P239 is a soft shooter, especially with a Hogue rubber grip. I perfer the DAK trigger, but I also own one in DA/SA. Both are very accurate in my hands. I think that you will enjoy owning and shooting it. The only down side to the DAK version that I have found is that is it is somewhat difficult to do a "press check" after loading a fresh magazine. You must overcome the spring tension of the hammer.

Irelander
12-21-2012, 14:16
Cool. I briefly looked at one a while ago, but I need to go check one out again and pay more attention. Thanks for your real world advice. I think the DA/SA trigger will be my choice of trigger actions.

boomhower
12-21-2012, 14:24
I carried one for around two years and it was taken by my wife who carries it now. Great gun, I love it.

bac1023
12-21-2012, 16:46
The P239 is a great carry gun.

Reswob
12-23-2012, 16:29
The P239 is a HUGE gun to only carry 8 rds of 9mm. The dimensions are nearly identical to a Glock 19 (the P239 is actually wider and taller, and of course heavier).

hamster
01-09-2013, 20:26
I have one in .40 S&W and love it. That being said, It's size is nearly identical to my G19... the stock grip is marginally thinner...the hogue rubber grip is thicker than the glock.

It carries a tiny bit better than the G19, mainly because the spare mag is a breeze to carry due to its size.

All that said, if you are looking to carry... I'd recommend the M&P Shield. Similar capacity, MUCH lighter and MUCH thinner.

Cobra64
01-10-2013, 18:18
The P239 is a great carry gun.

Especially with Nill grips. :rofl:

pat701
01-13-2013, 09:36
Retired LEO. I carryed a S/W 2" 6 shot 38cal for over 30 yrs. I switched to a P239 9mm two years ago. IMHO the P239 is a easyer carry IWB right front ( protecting my balls)

PhantomF4E
01-13-2013, 10:28
You are already used to the Kahr. Do you like the .380? The PM9 is not bad . The P9 is excellent . I have the P9 covert and it is an excellent carry gun. I also have a Walther P99c, if you can find one of those , they are excellent as well . That said the Sig is one sweet firearm. I have the P238 mousegun as well . My wife is currently learning single action proficiency . She loves that little buggar. Since she goes nearly everywhere with me these days she gets to carry the BUG lol ....

2GoneDE
01-13-2013, 14:23
I have carried the 9mm P239 for 5 years....I thought I would outsmart myself and get a G19 to supplement my carry options.....I love the Glock, but I rarely carry it. The Sig fits my frame and conceals much better on my slim frame...... (6'1" 195). Not to mention it can shoot the flies off poo from 15 yards.....and everyone...I mean everyone I have let shoot it can't believe how smooth, fast, and accurate it is. (I shoot 2x a month and always let people try my gear if they are curious....and I like em) I love the SA/DA with decocker.

fastbolt
01-13-2013, 16:24
If you can acclimate yourself to traditional double action (TDA, and what many folks also call DA/SA), the P239 is fine compact-ish single stack pistol.

I tend to prefer the TDA versions, myself, although some folks have found the Enhanced Double Action (what Sig calls their DAK) to be more to their liking. Try both and decide for yourself.

If I didn't already own a late production 3913 I'd have bought a P239 several years ago. (I came close once, during a Sig pistol armorer class, but even with the armorer discount Sig had a rather high opinion of the worth of their guns. :rofl: )

As has already been mentioned, the 239 is somewhat chunky for being a single stack, but the extra girth of the grip frame also serves someone in good stead when the gun is chambered in .40 S&W. ;)

Good gun. Good design.

You might browse through the video clips and the .pdf Preventive Maintenance Guide that Sig posts on their website, under the Customer Service section. Sig's require a bit more lubrication than some other guns, and even in the armorer class they're typically referred to as "wet guns".

http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/MaintenanceGuides.aspx

You could do worse. :supergrin:

Just_Me
01-13-2013, 16:27
I'm a big fan of the 239. Good shooting good size.

Sig is just a little heavy for their size so a good holster and belt are absolutely necessary.

samuse
01-14-2013, 11:45
The P239 is a HUGE gun to only carry 8 rds of 9mm. The dimensions are nearly identical to a Glock 19 (the P239 is actually wider and taller, and of course heavier).

This.

I carry a Glock 19 or a Sig P229.

The 239 doesn't do anything for me. The grip is too small to be comfortable but the gun is bigger and heavier than a G19 but it only holds 8 rounds.

The P229 is about the same size but is a double stack. It fits my hand, conceals and shoots great..

ca survivor
02-04-2013, 11:21
The P239 in .40 is one of the guns in my carry rotation.

Benello
02-04-2013, 23:37
The 239 in 9mm is a great carry piece.