DPMS - Any Good [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DPMS - Any Good

xtremetj
12-21-2012, 09:50
In all this madness I've got a buddy willing to part with one of ARs. He'll sell his DPMS, I'm just not sure about the quality. I'd been looking, before the crap hit the fan, for a BCM, DD, or a Spikes. I know it's not in the same class but are they any good? I should probably jump on it since I can't find any else but am not sure its worth 1k?

Enlighten me on their quality please. BTW, this is their entry level basic gun.

Thanks guys!

P99er
12-21-2012, 09:56
Oh boy. Here it comes.........

xtremetj
12-21-2012, 10:36
I figured it might be bad but I'm not that familiar with them so I thought I'd ask:dunno:

ThinkMud
12-21-2012, 10:53
Get what you can man. Most are sold out everywhere:( dpms isn't bad if you ask me. I have a bunch of their lowers I built with their lower parts kit and they all work fine.

WinterWizard
12-21-2012, 11:06
$1000 - no. $500 - yes.

bullittmcqueen
12-21-2012, 11:45
I figured it might be bad but I'm not that familiar with them so I thought I'd ask:dunno:

Avoid it like the plague. Anybody who makes you pay $1000 for a DPMS is no friend of yours. Bide your time. This will all pass eventually and no one knows what the outcome will be.

Gunnut 45/454
12-21-2012, 12:40
It may not be top quality, I own one it works and does what it supposed to do! Would I pay 1k for one nope. The question is are you getting one cause you feel you need it or just because they might not be available in the future! Hopefully we can stop the Federal gun grab- cause thats what it will be. I would hope this isn't going to be your first and only firearm! If it is your probably way behind the power curve on protecting your right to own one. Good luck !:whistling:

mvician
12-21-2012, 13:06
1K ? F no!

camelotkid
12-21-2012, 13:29
a grand for a DPMS, doesn't sound to much like a buddy to me.

xtremetj
12-21-2012, 16:12
Thanks everyone. I already told him no. I decided to ride it out a while and see what I can come up with. I had a RRA about a year ago and sold it. Been looking since then and just never pulled the trigger. Boy do I regret that now. The prices on Gunbroker are insane!

bmoore
12-21-2012, 16:17
$1000 - no. $500 - yes.

Word:cool:

Leper
12-21-2012, 16:18
Glad you decided not to buy it. If you have your heart set on something don't cheap out.

kirgi08
12-21-2012, 16:32
I got 10k+ through mine without a bobble.'08.

fuzzy03cls
12-21-2012, 17:41
Had 2500 with zero cleaning through mine with only lube & 2 classes, zero failures that weren't purposely induced.
Is it worth that much $? NO, But given the madness.....

jakebrake
12-21-2012, 17:42
yeah, friends at least use lube.

B_RAD
12-29-2012, 21:29
yeah, friends at least use lube. :rofl:

TedG
12-29-2012, 21:35
The AWB rumors are giving some people the opportunity to dump junk they wish they had never bought. Now they see a chance to get their money back.... plus a profit if they can find a panic stricken buyer.

tampashooters
12-30-2012, 08:06
I have had two DPMS Oracle and both worked flawlessly with steel and brass ammo. Prior to the current panic, they were selling for around $600ish brand new,and less for the Sportical. I have had many other AR's and let's be honest, they all shoot the same. I know people are brand whores and can't come to the realization that they overpaid for a nifty logo/name. What can a Colt, Noveske, etc. do that a DPMS/Bushmaster can't? The simple answer is nothing. Don't be fooled by the "Mine is better than everyone else's" crowd.

Mil-Spec is Mil-Spec.... meaning they meet the minimum standards that the Military has set...

With that being said, $1k is expensive, but current market conditions make it a great buy. I wouldn't pay that, but luckily I already have some, and it will be a while before the panic wears off. It will heat back up in January when the bills get introduced and people get their taxes back, so it's going to be a roller coaster for a while.

If this is the Sportical though, I'd pass.

collim1
12-30-2012, 08:17
I have had two DPMS Oracle and both worked flawlessly with steel and brass ammo. Prior to the current panic, they were selling for around $600ish brand new,and less for the Sportical. I have had many other AR's and let's be honest, they all shoot the same. I know people are brand whores and can't come to the realization that they overpaid for a nifty logo/name. What can a Colt, Noveske, etc. do that a DPMS/Bushmaster can't? The simple answer is nothing. Don't be fooled by the "Mine is better than everyone else's" crowd.

Mil-Spec is Mil-Spec.... meaning they meet the minimum standards that the Military has set...

With that being said, $1k is expensive, but current market conditions make it a great buy. I wouldn't pay that, but luckily I already have some, and it will be a while before the panic wears off. It will heat back up in January when the bills get introduced and people get their taxes back, so it's going to be a roller coaster for a while.

If this is the Sportical though, I'd pass.

I agree. My RRA is not "mil-spec" but has been a great gun. Luckily I bought it in October before the prices went sky high.

trigger45
12-30-2012, 08:42
Dpms is good.

Contact
12-30-2012, 10:00
It's easy for me to say it was a bad deal, since I already have my hardware. If I didn't have the hardware, it might not look so bad, so I can see why you were considering it.

I personally do not see this AWB coming to fruition. And when it doesn't, and market prices come back down to $6-800 new for the same gun you spend $1k used, I'm sure it would have strained you and your buddy's friendship, and rightfully so since he tried to take advantage of the situation.

If I was trying to turn a profit, I wouldn't be selling to friends. If I was trying to help out a friend, the most I would sell it for is what I had into it.

SCSU74
12-30-2012, 10:29
I agree. My RRA is not "mil-spec" but has been a great gun. Luckily I bought it in October before the prices went sky high.

It's not that DPMS, bushmaster, RR etc can't make a good rifle it's the fact that the good ones are the exception. QC at DPMS is terrible, some are great, most aren't. Paying more for a noveske, colt or whatever and you avoid the QC issues IMHO

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

jrs93accord
12-30-2012, 11:22
For $1K, what would you be getting? What accessories, magazines, case, etc.?

boomhower
12-30-2012, 11:38
Unless it comes with an Aimpoint and a half dozen PMAGS I wouldn't pay $1k for it. They are generally reliable range guns but not the quality of what you were looking at before the crazyness.

faawrenchbndr
12-30-2012, 11:42
DPMS is good if you replace the barrel, BCG, fire control, handguard
pistol grip, buffer & spring, and the butt stock.

skeeter7
12-30-2012, 11:53
Oh boy. Here it comes.........

I thought the same exact thing. :deadhorse:

kirgi08
12-30-2012, 12:41
Disagree Greg,mine has run fine from A ta B.Over 10k through and not a glitch.I can hit COM at 300+ and no FTF/FTE issues.Thats with brass or steel.It's properly staked,It's a MBAR and is quite enjoyable.'08.

mjkeat
12-30-2012, 17:23
10K over what time frame?

Strizzi
12-30-2012, 17:30
Avoid it like the plague. Anybody who makes you pay $1000 for a DPMS is no friend of yours. Bide your time. This will all pass eventually and no one knows what the outcome will be.

This

I owned the sportical, it was good as long as you didn't shoot more than 100 rounds between cleaning. There's no way in hell I'd pay 1000 one though. I ended up selling it right before the ar craziness. I wish I would have waited 2 weeks I could have doubled my money haha

faawrenchbndr
12-30-2012, 19:23
Disagree Greg,mine has run fine from A ta B.Over 10k through and not a glitch.I can hit COM at 300+ and no FTF/FTE issues.Thats with brass or steel.It's properly staked,It's a MBAR and is quite enjoyable.'08.

I know,.......knew you would bite that hook! :rofl:
There are a few older DPMS rifles out there that are GTG.

johnstein11
12-30-2012, 21:31

:rofl:

SIGlock
12-30-2012, 23:21

Mil-spec is Mil-spec...what kind of definition is that?

And the minimum standards that the Military has set could be very expensive and difficult to meet in some instances for some parts. For example, Magnetic Particle (MP) inspections of high pressure parts such as the barrels and bolts, etc. are not cheap to perform, particularly, if it is required to MP inspected for every components in the gun. This is an example of Mil-spec.

Get yourself a Colt. Loose the sissy DPMS.

vettely
12-30-2012, 23:25

And the minimum standards that the Military has set could be very expensive and difficult to meet in some instances for some parts. For example, Magnetic Particle (MP) inspections of high pressure parts such as the barrels and bolts, etc. are not cheap to perform, particularly, if it is required to MP inspected for every components in the gun. This is an example of Mil-spec.

Only took 32 post's.

kirgi08
12-31-2012, 08:57
10K over what time frame?

3yrs,give or take.I shoot my PSS or FN/FAL a lot more.

I know,.......knew you would bite that hook! :rofl:
There are a few older DPMS rifles out there that are GTG.

:impatient: :miff: :tongueout:

RJHUB
12-31-2012, 10:09
If it comes with an ACOG. $500.:supergrin:

I would look for better deal. If they keep going up. oh well. You do have another HD gun?

Fredder
12-31-2012, 10:32
I had a DPMS and it was a good rifle. Not worth a grand, but it had a great trigger and it put the rounds where I pointed it.

Waboom!!
12-31-2012, 11:50
haha good one lol

Cavalry Doc
12-31-2012, 13:00
My DPMS LR308AP4 has run just fine. No glitches at all. Slightly less than 1 in. groups at 100 yards even with cheap Federal Power shock ammo, used to be ~$14 for 20 rounds a few weeks ago. Shoots even better with reloads.

It's not a gold plated safe queen, it's a well used hog hunter.

tampashooters
12-31-2012, 17:50

Thanks, but while your pocket is $500 lighter, I'll be at the range having fun..:tongueout:

vettely
12-31-2012, 20:11
My DPMS LR308AP4 has run just fine. No glitches at all. Slightly less than 1 in. groups at 100 yards even with cheap Federal Power shock ammo, used to be ~$14 for 20 rounds a few weeks ago. Shoots even better with reloads.

It's not a gold plated safe queen, it's a well used hog hunter.
I want one.

Cavalry Doc
12-31-2012, 20:21
I want one.

Friend of a Friend's son a few weeks ago. He had never shot a rifle before that weekend.
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/photo7-22.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/rifle.jpg

Bought mine just before Barry's first nomination. If I was interested, I could make a HUGE profit. But I bought it to have it, not as an investment.

vettely
12-31-2012, 20:23
Friend of a Friend's son a few weeks ago. He had never shot a rifle before that weekend.

Bought mine just before Barry's first nomination. If I was interested, I could make a HUGE profit. But I bought it to have it, not as an investment.
Damn, very nice!

Spiffums
12-31-2012, 21:07
The AWB rumors are giving some people the opportunity to dump junk they wish they had never bought. Now they see a chance to get their money back.... plus a profit if they can find a panic stricken buyer.

hrmmmm Do you think this is the time to get their money back on the over priced guns they bought that 1st time Barry O got elected? :whistling:

DAIadvisor
12-31-2012, 22:12
Any rifle you buy is good as long as you know how to maintain it and shoot it properly. People always complain about "lesser" ARs, I've had a pleasure of dealing will all the low end ones, and never had issues with any of them. So get it.

gjk5
12-31-2012, 22:32

holy crap that's a big hog. I am going to So TX to try my new LR308B on some hogs next month, hope I knock one down like that!

itstime
12-31-2012, 22:38
I'm glad to hear you passed on it.

Nemesis.
12-31-2012, 22:40
Thanks everyone. I already told him no. I decided to ride it out a while and see what I can come up with. I had a RRA about a year ago and sold it. Been looking since then and just never pulled the trigger. Boy do I regret that now. The prices on Gunbroker are insane!

You guys be patient and spend some time at the big box gun stores. Academy gets trucks in several days a week. If you're willing to do some homework and legwork you can get a reasonably priced AR.

Cavalry Doc
12-31-2012, 22:52
holy crap that's a big hog. I am going to So TX to try my new LR308B on some hogs next month, hope I knock one down like that!

That's a pretty good size one, shy by about 100 pounds from the largest taken on that ranch.

Don't eat the big boars, very gamey. The big sows are very good eating.

arushus
12-31-2012, 22:59

What kind of buttpad is that on your rifle?

gjk5
12-31-2012, 23:15
That's a pretty good size one, shy by about 100 pounds from the largest taken on that ranch.

Don't eat the big boars, very gamey. The big sows are very good eating.

Nice.

I grew up in McAllen, shot my share of hogs. I typically won't eat anything over 125ish pounds myself. I cooked a loin off a 300plus pounder once, never again:rofl:

Cavalry Doc
01-01-2013, 01:26
What kind of buttpad is that on your rifle?

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/recoil-parts/recoil-pads/ar-15-m16-m4-buttpad-monopod-prod42517.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_100005996_1.jpg

longrangedog
01-01-2013, 18:32
Has anyone else noticed that all the positive posts on the DPMS come from OWNERS or previous OWNERS while none of the negative folks mention ever having owned a DPMS?

I've had a heavy barrel DPMS for 10 years. Never a malfunction and it shoots 1/2 inch with Federal match ammo.

mvician
01-01-2013, 19:02
Has anyone else noticed that all the positive posts on the DPMS come from OWNERS or previous OWNERS while none of the negative folks mention ever having owned a DPMS?

I've had a DPMS "M4" carbine.....it was the only AR I have ever sold/traded.

QNman
01-01-2013, 19:41
I have owned three DPMS rifles over the years... I currently own zero. Two of them had to go back to the factory for poor accuracy, and one of those two never got fixed (even after two trips to the factory, whereupon I was told "that 6.8 SPC cartridge just won't shoot better than 2.5 MOA").

Is it a good HD or SHTF rifle? Yes... for $600. Not for $1,000. JMHO.

That said, I would gladly scoop up a .308 DPMS. Every review I've read indicates they are built to a higher standard than the $600 Panther/Oracle/Sportical. But that's a different thread...

Cavalry Doc
01-01-2013, 21:01
Funny, never heard any of the hogs complain once about the quality of a DPMS.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/bedfullopigs.jpg

I have to admit that I have never owned a .223 of any make. I have carried .223, and used them in the past more than once. I own an LR308, no AR15's. .223 is fine for some things, I just prefer other calibers.

*ASH*
01-01-2013, 21:29
they are like a hi point pistol . sure they work , BUT would you rely your life on one ? i know i would'nt

Cavalry Doc
01-01-2013, 21:33
they are like a hi point pistol . sure they work , BUT would you rely your life on one ? i know i would'nt

Hi point? Don't own one. Held them. Hear they are hard to break.

I'd rather have my LR308AP4 in my hands than any .223 when a hog or jihadist is coming my way.

It's all about preference, and a bit of knowledge about wound ballistics.

:wavey:

*ASH*
01-01-2013, 21:41
Hi point? Don't own one. Held them. Hear they are hard to break.

I'd rather have my LR308AP4 in my hands than any .223 when a hog or jihadist is coming my way.

It's all about preference, and a bit of knowledge about wound ballistics.

:wavey::supergrin::supergrin: good choice

gjk5
01-01-2013, 21:41
Funny, never heard any of the hogs complain once about the quality of a DPMS.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/bedfullopigs.jpg

I have to admit that I have never owned a .223 of any make. I have carried .223, and used them in the past more than once. I own an LR308, no AR15's. .223 is fine for some things, I just prefer other calibers.

nice. some good eaters there

Cavalry Doc
01-02-2013, 05:49
nice. some good eaters there

Combination of traps, open field and sitting over feeders. 5 guys, 22 hogs in a day.

Bren
01-02-2013, 06:00
$1000 - no. $500 - yes.

As usual on the internet, recommend a price you haven't been able to buy one for for about 20 years.

OP, the comparison of brands of AR's is largely a game played by people pretending to know more than they do. Most of the AR companies don't actually make anything - they just assemble rifles they bought from "lesser" companies and put a cooler logo on them.

DPMS rifles are fine - my competition AR uses a complete factory DPMS upper, with only the rear sight changed. It will do this at 100 yards (that's a 3-shot group).

http://www.fewpb.net/~brenn/target.jpg

The irony of the mall ninjas you'll meet here is that they claim to be all-knowing on AR's, but don't know enough to know where the parts come from or how to put them together to make a rifle.:upeyes:

I have often said, Glock Talk is a bad place to get gun advice. Other advice? Disregard anything you hear from people who had to "send their gun back to the factory" - if they can't diagnose and fix something as simple as an AR, they have no business giving gun advice.

mgs
01-02-2013, 09:00
As usual on the internet, recommend a price you haven't been able to buy one for for about 20 years.

OP, the comparison of brands of AR's is largely a game played by people pretending to know more than they do. Most of the AR companies don't actually make anything - they just assemble rifles they bought from "lesser" companys and put a cooler logo on them.

DPMS rifles are fine - my competition AR uses a complete factory DPMS upper, with only the rear sight changed. It will do this at 100 yards (that's a 3-shot group).

The irony of the mall ninjas you'll meet here is that they claim to be all-knowing on AR's, but don't know enough to know where the parts come from or how to put them together to make a rifle.:upeyes:

I have often said, Glock Talk is a bad place to get gun advice. Other advice? Disregard anything you hear from people who had to "send their gun back to the factory" - if they can't diagnose and fix something as simple as an AR, they have no business giving gun advice.

I also have a DPMS heavy upper and it shoots like this all day long (same load BTW). I built a Carbine on one of their stripped lowers with average mil-spec parts and it runs fine. It's all about the parts because there are good and bad parts out there. Only bought 2 complete rifles (1990 Colts) and their parts are their parts which is good and bad depending on availability. They were AR-15 Sporter models back then but do still work great.

QNman
01-02-2013, 10:25

OP, the comparison of brands of AR's is largely a game played by people pretending to know more than they do. Most of the AR companies don't actually make anything - they just assemble rifles they bought from "lesser" companys and put a cooler logo on them.

I sent it back for accuracy issues - the guns, not mine. How do I know? Because I shoot my "overpriced" ones far better, and because even the test target DPMS sent me back shows 2.5 MOA.

I have built several ARs, upper and lower, and my current hand built one will outshoot the DPMS by halving its MOA.

Not every DPMS rifle is crap, but when the company refuses to acknowledge 2.5 MOA is unacceptable, they can get someone else's money, not mine.

Not everyone who disagrees with you is an Internet commando. I'm glad you got one that shoots well - mine did not. Buyer beware.

CigarandScotch
01-02-2013, 10:49
Mine's GTG. I paid too much for it in the last panic of 2008, before I knew anything about the different brands. Luckily, I have had no issues with it, and it is more accurate than I am capable of being. Up to now I have shot anywhere from 200-500 rounds per month through it without a hiccup...it has been as reliable as my Glock. Now I'm taking a break from shooting until this ammo situation gets under control.

CanMan
01-02-2013, 10:53
Most of the AR companies don't actually make anything - they just assemble rifles they bought from "lesser" companys and put a cooler logo on them.

RECEIVER MANUFACTURERS
The following is a listing of who machines the raw receiver forgings for whom.

Aero Precision

Aero Precision
Continental Machine Tool

Stag
Rock River Arms
High Standard
Noveske
Century (New)
Global Tactical
CLE
S&W
MGI
Wilson Tactical
Grenadier Precision
Colt
JVP

Double Star
LRB
Charles Daly
LAR Manufacturing

LAR
Bushmaster
Ameetec
DPMS
CMMG
Double Star
Fulton Armory
Spike's Tactical
American Spirit

American Spirit
Lewis Machine & Tool

LMT
Lauer
DS Arms
PWA
Eagle
Armalite
Knights Armament
Barrett
Mega Machine Shop

Mega
GSE
Dalphon
POF
Alexander Arms
Olympic

Olympic
SGW
Tromix
Palmetto
Dalphon
Frankford
Century (Old)
Sun Devil

Sun Devil forged billet receivers

Bren
01-02-2013, 11:52
In short:

I'd been looking, before the crap hit the fan, for a BCM, DD, or a Spikes. I know it's not in the same class but are they any good?

RECEIVER MANUFACTURERS
The following is a listing of who machines the raw receiver forgings for whom.

[/LIST]LAR Manufacturing

LAR
Bushmaster
Ameetec
DPMS CMMG
Double Star
Fulton Armory
Spike's Tactical

mjkeat
01-02-2013, 22:05

I've had a heavy barrel DPMS for 10 years. Never a malfunction and it shoots 1/2 inch with Federal match ammo.

This idiocy is ridiculous. Why would anyone want to purchase a known POS?

Tommy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000394/): [Trying to copy his father's quote] Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?
Mr. Brady, Customer (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0068002/): [confused] What? I'm failing to make the connection here.
Tommy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000394/): No, I mean is, you can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a butcher's ass... No, wait. It's gotta be your bull.
Richard (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005450/): [embarrassed] Wow.
Share this quote (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114694/quotes?qt0402673)

[saying it correctly]
Tommy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000394/): I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it.

OP, the comparison of brands of AR's is largely a game played by people pretending to know more than they do. Most of the AR companies don't actually make anything - they just assemble rifles they bought from "lesser" companies and put a cooler logo on them.

Who here doesn't know that there are very few makers of parts? I doubt anyone doesn't know this by now.

It's funny that you use this as an example of not knowing what others are talking about. Like I said it's common knowledge. For you to be using it as you are it shows that you think it is something new. This makes me think you don't know near as much as you want others to think.

If your new car breaks do you fix it or take advantage of the warranty? Only a very stupid person would try to fix it themself. One you paid for the warranty. Second, most would screw up the job and possibly void the warranty.

There seems to be a trend/pattern here. The more a person uses derogatory terms like "ninja' the more they're trying to convince people they know what they're talking about.

Get your stuff straight. Any AR can sit on a bench and punch a hole in paper every 10-20 seconds. Quality only becomes apparent when the carbine really starts to run as it was originally designed.

You'll always have people say this or that brand works "just fine." They however never go into more depth. Most of the time it's such a light amount of use it wouldn't qualify.

Hell, when it comes down to it none of us here has a leg to stand on when it comes to giving a recommendation and feedback. Our samples of one or two aren't enough. All we can go off of is our personal experience. That's it. Some of use have a broader experience base.

I've seen 100's of Colts work wonderfully in all sorts of climates and capacities. I did see a 6940 have a brass over bolt malfunction. DPMS is a different story. I have been on the range w/ five different DPMS made/assembled ARs. All but one ran as well as an equally priced AR. A co-worker watched one (new) go full auto as the trigger group broke.

Edit: I'll add that coming from the same part manufacturer means nothing. The manufacturer and customer (AR assembler) can set up varying levels of quality control. This usually depends on the customer's (AR assemble) needs. Cost will usually vary as well. I have first hand experience with this process in the manufacturing field.

trigger45
01-12-2013, 18:24
My dpms has now over 1000 rnds through it and just gets sweeter every time. Really guys you can pay too much. Dpms is fine.

Meanie5470
01-14-2013, 21:57
I would buy it if the markup doesnt kill you. Yea normally its not worth $1000 but TODAY it is. Im never a sucker for these gun crazes but the threat of stricter gun control has never been more in our faces than right now. Yes its an entry level gun, nothing fancy but DPMS goes bang when you pull the trigger as well as the rest of them. If nothing happens there will always be more crazes when you'll be able to make your money back.

LA_357SIG
01-14-2013, 23:16
Lol. ETA: This kinda reminds me of Talladega Nights when the owner and his son are talking about Rickey Bobby in the interview after his first win.

Dennit Sr: He's got guts. Dennit Racing needs a racer like that.
Dennit Jr: C'mon dad. he's just a stupid cowboy. Just look how bad he is in that interview.
Sr: Junior, driving has got nothing to do with interviews. I just wish to hell you had a little more stupid cowboy in you.

Sometimes this forum needs more doers and less judges.

This idiocy is ridiculous. Why would anyone want to purchase a known POS?
<snip>
It's funny that you use this as an example of not knowing what others are talking about. Like I said it's common knowledge. For you to be using it as you are it shows that you think it is something new. This makes me think you don't know near as much as you want others to think.

If your new car breaks do you fix it or take advantage of the warranty? Only a very stupid person would try to fix it themself. One you paid for the warranty. Second, most would screw up the job and possibly void the warranty.

There seems to be a trend/pattern here. The more a person uses derogatory terms like "ninja' the more they're trying to convince people they know what they're talking about.
<snip>

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/]
Visual Inspection

Each firearm was broken down and inspected to ensure that it was within acceptable standards; this initial visual inspection did not reveal any deficiencies serious enough to be addressed prior to the beginning of the test. During the first range trip, however, serious accuracy issues were noted with two carbines the Federal and Brown Bear weapons.

Both shot groups of over 5MOA, or over 5 inches at 100 yards, out of the box. It should be noted that ten shot groups were fired for all accuracy testing in this article, and the results are not directly comparable with three or five shot groups. Because these groups were much larger than they should have been with any factory new ammunition, the rifles were examined.

All accuracy testing consisted of ten shot groups at 50 yards from a supported position with a US Optics scope at 17x magnification.

The upper receiver assemblies of the two problem carbines were completely disassembled in order to determine the cause of this issue. It was immediately apparent that the problem related to improper barrel nut torque values the barrel nuts, which slide over a collar on the barrel and thread onto the front of the upper receiver, required less than 5 ft-lbs to break loose.

Proper torque values for this part are 30-80 ft-lbs. Once the components were properly reassembled, ten shot group sizes shrank to approximately 3.5 MOA, which is a realistic result to expect from standard carbines firing bulk ammunition.

Seems like the guys with the Bushmasters fixed their own problem.

I agree. My attempts at relaying this same sentiment seem to fall on deaf ears. Usually, the following posts after mine are almost always a continuation of "should have bought a Colt/BCM/DD/Noveske."

ca survivor
01-15-2013, 10:16
:rofl:

Gunnut 45/454
01-15-2013, 11:07
I still own my DPMS 16" HBAR A2 carbine. Was my second AR I put together, bought the upper assembly, bought a complete lower assembly (AT) all for under $500. That was back 4 years ago Colts were hard to get and cost $1200 +! Most so called Quality brands all above the $1200 mark. It shoots just fine never had any problems with it.:supergrin:

Rooster Rugburn
01-15-2013, 16:31
Quality only becomes apparent when the carbine really starts to run as it was originally designed.

You mean full auto in combat? Is this a member of "the other priorities crowd" lecturing a veteran of a shooting war about when quality becomes apparent.

Oh, that's right. You think your little weekend fun and games at the range are the same as the battle of Fallujah. The thing is, your targets don't shoot back. Oh, wait, you do force on force. My bad.

You are like an onion, the more layers that get peeled......... and one gets more ridiculous than the other.

larry_minn
01-17-2013, 22:05
I am sure the OP's friend is happy those here convinced him to NOT take it. He should have sold it for much more. (depending on how it was set up)
They do make a variety (like every other brand) of AR. I also would love a 308 one. The 5.56 has done everything I have asked of it.
Just a hint. Most of us are normal, everyday, law abiding folks. So full auto is not something we can do with guns made after 1986.... (or in some states) :0
I do recall hearing when DPMS moved from Princeton (IIRC) they did have a QC issue for short period of time. (Thankfully Colt has NEVER had QC issues) :) :0

WarEagle32
01-17-2013, 22:49
I have owned 2 DPMS 308's and they were both absolute tackdrivers that had had zero problems with. I havent owned one of their 5.56's but I rarely hear of people that own them bad mouth them, a lot of people that don't have one that bad mouth them pretty bad. But like I said I've owned 2 and shot several 5.56's and never seen a problem at all. Jmo

Gunnut 45/454
01-18-2013, 21:46
Rooster Rugburn
I have no doupt my DPMS would hold up and preform very well on a two way range! Being semi auto might be a slight disadvantage against other full auto's though!:rofl: Not much but a slight disadvantage!:supergrin:

kirgi08
01-18-2013, 22:33
It's about putting rounds on target,not spray and pray.'08.

Gunny Lingus
01-19-2013, 12:08
Being semi auto might be a slight disadvantage against other full auto's though!:rofl: Not much but a slight disadvantage!:supergrin:

Maybe not. Precise SA fire on target can be better than full auto spray and pray, considering the accuracy aspect and the heating and flexing of the barrel.

But suppression fire does have it's advantages.

mjkeat
01-19-2013, 14:08
It's about putting rounds on target,not spray and pray.'08.

Correct.

SAWs, 240s, 50's, etc. - suppression

M4s - putting rounds on target.

Semi Auto is an advantage other than for suppression.

FA not being as desired for aimed fire has more to do w/ the effects on the shooter than barrel flex, etc.

Cavalry Doc
01-19-2013, 16:40
Even in Iraq, the standing joke was that full auto is for people that can't aim.

Hedo1
01-19-2013, 17:43
No issue with the two I have.

Gunnut 45/454
01-19-2013, 23:50
Gunny Lingus
That was my point-SA is better then four guys on full retard! Unless your repelling a bonzi charge of hundreds!:rofl:

jpwalnuthill
01-20-2013, 06:06
I have one that I bought about 6 month's ago and no problems. I own Browning's, Remington's, etc. and the DPMS is the most accurate weapon I own. I have a friend that owns a Colt and he found out that he spent too much money for his when he put it up against mine on the range. I suspect also that most people that trash them haven't owned them. Would buy another without question. I wouldn't pay 1k for one, only because I wont help feed the frenzy. I reload also and don't have a problem with ammo. JMO

Gunny Lingus
01-20-2013, 11:57
Gunny Lingus
That was my point-SA is better then four guys on full retard! Unless your repelling a bonzi charge of hundreds!:rofl:

Sometimes it's hard to discern the true meaning from the written word.

stooxie
01-20-2013, 13:00
Just to keep stirring the pot here, I have two stripped lowers, a DPMS and Stag.

I did a Google of "DPMS vs Stag lower" and, naturally, everyone's like "DUDE, the Stag, man, the Stag!" yet no one could articulate why.

I just spent a few minutes looking them both over very closely to see which one will get my BCM 20" HBAR upper.

Going purely by looks, the DPMS wins hands down. The Stag has way more tool marks, including what looks like a clamp mark on the buffer tube threads. The finish on the DPMS looks a bit deeper/thicker. Maybe that is trickery to hide blemishes, maybe it's not. The Stag also has a lot of burs around the drill holes. The DPMS is perfectly flat around all holes.

So.... hardly scientific evidence and I'm sure the premium brands make a "better" receiver but I have had no issues with my DPMS guns.

I am not a soldier, LEO, operator, marine, etc.

-Stooxie

vettely
01-20-2013, 15:06
How many companies are actually making lowers? It used to be just a few.

mjkeat
01-20-2013, 16:42
My receiver is really dark black and has little to no tool markings on it. It sure is pretty. Based on my visual inspection it must be quality.

Update: Put 100 rounds down range in the last couple months without a hiccup. This thing is great! I recommend everyone buy one.

Sent from a Droid RAZR while surfing double rainbows on my way back from outer space using Tapatalk 2

Cavalry Doc
01-20-2013, 16:45
Just went to a gunshow today. Not a single DPMS to be had there. A few Colt AR 15's in the well above $2000 range. Saw quite a few lowers and other AR's with brands that I had not heard of. RRI's were the only .308 AR's there, running right around $4000.

:faint:

Rooster Rugburn
01-20-2013, 17:18
Unless your repelling a bonzi charge of hundreds!:rofl:

That only happens in N. Dallas.

LL6
01-20-2013, 17:37
My receiver is really dark black and has little to no tool markings on it. It sure is pretty. Based on my visual inspection it must be quality.

Update: Put 100 rounds down range in the last couple months without a hiccup. This thing is great! I recommend everyone buy one.

Sent from a Droid RAZR while surfing double rainbows on my way back from outer space using Tapatalk 2
http://opinionaided.s3.amazonaws.com/201206/4fd51d5920df5fa66e00001c_ref.jpg

Cavalry Doc
01-20-2013, 17:37
That only happens in N. Dallas.

http://www.texasrealtybrownwood.com/