a marines view of guarding schools [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : a marines view of guarding schools

lunarspeak
12-21-2012, 11:55
so my BIL and his wife came in today for christmas..he got his 20 and retired a marine and she was one for 6 yrs..

they told me that this subject has come up and that most active marines would not do it nor would you want them too.

most dont want to be babysitting small kids all day...there sure that even though nothing will happen theres still a chance of danger and they wont be paid combat pay..(most have familys to support)

and then he broght up something i didnt even think about..some marines are people you wouldnt want near your kids...(he didnt say all)

he mentioned the power drinkers of course...and he then told me of gangmembers and thieves and gamblers and that every bad aspect in people can be found in the corps..and he said while he trusted his fellow jarheads to have his back in combat he would not trust most of them with his teen daughter..and soldiers at a high school with teen girls was a reciepe for trouble

these arent my views but i can see where he is comeing from...

tsmo1066
12-21-2012, 12:02
so my BIL and his wife came in today for christmas..he got his 20 and retired a marine and she was one for 6 yrs..

they told me that this subject has come up and that most active marines would not do it nor would you want them too.

most dont want to be babysitting small kids all day...there sure that even though nothing will happen theres still a chance of danger and they wont be paid combat pay..(most have familys to support)

and then he broght up something i didnt even think about..some marines are people you wouldnt want near your kids...(he didnt say all)

he mentioned the power drinkers of course...and he then told me of gangmembers and thieves and gamblers and that every bad aspect in people can be found in the corps..and he said while he trusted his fellow jarheads to have his back in combat he would not trust most of them with his teen daughter..and soldiers at a high school with teen girls was a reciepe for trouble

these arent my views but i can see where he is comeing from...

Kinda reminds me of Eleanor Roosevelt's old quote on the Marines:

“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!”

Atlas
12-21-2012, 12:03
Who is suggesting that Marines patrol public schools?

lunarspeak
12-21-2012, 12:06
he said something on the same lines...that a marine is a warmachine that you cant do with out on the battlefield..but in the real world you have to put the machine away and some guys cant do it blah blah blah.

i kinda understood what he was saying:whistling:

the post was about soldiers in general patrolling the schools and theres about 50 threads on this subject already

eagle359
12-21-2012, 12:17
One chant that I do remember from boot camp is "This is my rifle-this is my $$$$. This is for killing-this is for fun". Marines around 16 year old girls, not really the best idea.

PrecisionRifleman
12-21-2012, 12:19
As a Marine myself that served in the infantry I can honestly say it would be a HORRIBLE idea.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

NMGlocker
12-21-2012, 12:25
Marines no... retired LEO's who still "got it" yes.

tsmo1066
12-21-2012, 12:36
We probably don't need Marines or retired police. I'm sure there are plenty of teachers and school employees who have CHLs and would be happy to take an extra certification course that, upon completion, would allow them to legally carry on school grounds.

ray9898
12-21-2012, 12:37
Who is suggesting that Marines patrol public schools?

Those who are losing their mind and proposing things due to knee jerk reactions.

NMGlocker
12-21-2012, 12:59
We probably don't need Marines or retired police. I'm sure there are plenty of teachers and school employees who have CHLs and would be happy to take an extra certification course that, upon completion, would allow them to legally carry on school grounds.
It's doesn't have to be an "either or" proposition.
Dedicated security is always better than a multi-pupose position like teacher/security.
The best situation would be dedicated security backed up by armed and willing responsible individuals.

gommer
12-21-2012, 19:27
Here's the deal.

I don't care who guards schools but there is one thing that is certain - if you take away a persons ability to defend themselves then YOU are responsible for their safety.

I don't mean you as in really you, I mean the government.

The government dictates that my child must receive an education. The government dictates that it must meet specific guidelines. The government dictates all these little things that leaves me with no option other than public school for my son. The government dictates failure to comply will result in imprisonment and removal of custodial rights (good luck with that!).

Point is, big daddy government has DICTATED that my child will attend their school. Big daddy government had better ensure my child's safety.

There are police officers at my kid's schools, though. So I give them much credit for that. And no, it's not a scary school or anything.

Whatever the case, when a gun free zone is dictated and you can no longer defend yourself by being there AND the law requires you to go there --- the government needs to be held accountable.

If this were a PRIVATE enterprise there would be calls for the leaders of that company to be charged criminally.

It's almost comical. The gun control leaning folks like to blame the pro gun rights folks and say we have blood on our hands. But, the reality is - THEY are the ones who disarmed those teachers - and made them hapless prey.

They are the ones with blood on their hands.

To the OP and on topic, I totally agree -- Marine's are not Police.

cesaros
12-21-2012, 19:33
Marines are the greatest ground asset to protecting our nation...and the guys Ive worked with are great Marines, and true warriors.

I would never want them guarding my children (a few exceptions)

Marines guarding children, and Marines going to war are very different...they were trained and bred for the later.

Ruggles
12-21-2012, 19:40
The Marines I served with (87-91) were a mixed bunch. Some were jerks and others great guys. Some I would trust, some not. Overall they were a stand up bunch. I remember back in 1990 I had spent $1600+ on a engagement ring. That was 2 months of pay for me. I was carrying in my pocket one day as I was going to use it that night for it's purpose. Somehow I dropped it and did not even know it. I felt a tap on my shoulder and there is this Marine (I had never seen before) with ring in hand telling me he saw me drop it. Guy could have kept it, but he did not. Most Marines were that guy IMO.

All that being said they do not need to be guarding school. But I would love to see that asswipe from last week try what he did if they were....hell this old man would love to have been there when tried it...

fnfalman
12-21-2012, 20:04
I just wanna cruise around the school on an ATV with a SAW on swivel pintle mount.

Trapped_in_Kali
12-21-2012, 20:16
Here in LA County the LAUSD has it's own police department. I would think most large cities have their own school police. For smaller cities & towns I would think local LEOs or "Rent-A-Cops". It's not like they have the problem 24/7, If they trained the crossing guards (they would have to be vetted first) and armed them they would be prepared for the 1/100,000,000 chance they were needed.

racerford
12-21-2012, 20:17
I just wanna cruise around the school on an ATV with a SAW on swivel pintle mount.

It would have to be an electric ATV. Got to be green.