Another "Mass Shooting" in PA [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another "Mass Shooting" in PA

J-Pat
12-21-2012, 12:42
This occurred about 5 minutes down the road from me, if that:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/21/16069042-four-killed-including-gunman-in-shooting-incident-in-pennsylvania-three-troopers-injured#comments

I'm praying for the victims and families who were affected by this.

di11igaf
12-21-2012, 13:05
Wtf.
No real details it seems.

frank4570
12-21-2012, 13:08
The left is not missing the fact that a mass shooting happened during the NRA press conference. IF it is in fact a mass shooting. That's certainly how it's being talked about.

Psychman
12-21-2012, 13:23
Crap like this occurs all the time during the Holidays. It is a high stress time for alot of people. I am sure Putts Morgan will make a big deal out of it, but nothing really to see here.

ArtificialGrape
12-21-2012, 13:29
I don't wish to in any way diminish the lives that were lost, but "mass shooting"?

So where exactly is the threshold for something to be a "mass" shooting? This was 3 victims. Is 2 victims also a mass shooting?

-ArtificialGrape

J-Pat
12-21-2012, 13:31
I don't wish to in any way diminish the lives that were lost, but "mass shooting"?

So where exactly is the threshold for something to be a "mass" shooting? This was 3 victims. Is 2 victims also a mass shooting?

-ArtificialGrape

Most scholarly reviews of mass shootings are 4 people, including the shooter if he takes his or her own life.

TheExplorer
12-21-2012, 13:34
Crap like this occurs all the time during the Holidays. It is a high stress time for alot of people. I am sure Putts Morgan will make a big deal out of it, but nothing really to see here.

That's exactly correct. People who have taken an intro criminalistics course which studies crime statistics know this.

harlenm
12-21-2012, 13:52
Most scholarly reviews of mass shootings are 4 people, including the shooter if he takes his or her own life.

Shooter was killed by a State Trooper, so the count is 3.

JLB768
12-21-2012, 14:02
Need to send all the pro gun control government officials a pack of condoms, they are really getting off on this s**t.

J-Pat
12-21-2012, 14:03
Shooter was killed by a State Trooper, so the count is 3.

I took that from something I read earlier in the week about the history of them. This isn't to be a comparison to you fellas up in CT- as this stunt pales in comparison. Wikipedia has this to say and YMMV.

"Mass murder (in military contexts, sometimes interchangeable with "mass destruction" or "genocide") is the act of murdering a large number of people (four or more), typically at the same time or over a relatively short period of time.[1] According to the FBI, mass murder is defined as four or more murders occurring during a particular event with no cooling-off period between the murders. A mass murder typically occurs in a single location in which a number of victims are killed by an individual or more.[2][3] Most acts of mass murder end with the death of the perpetrator(s), whether by direct suicide or being killed by law enforcement"

I was shocked when I heard about this- we're what most people call "three lefts past nowhere". I live in a very very quiet town- and I suppose I was lulled into believing that things like this do not happen

Either way-
I don't think that's going to end up being the issue (the mass murder argument)...once the news media realizes this happened right in the middle of the NRA statement. The way that things are being sensationalized by media at this point; compound with deliberate misrepresentation of facts does not signal good things in the future for gun owners.

Magnus2131
12-21-2012, 14:43
Every shooting from now on will get top billing in the press.

Gixxerjoe04
12-21-2012, 14:52

-ArtificialGrape

According to piers Morgan 2 is a mass shooting, kept talking about the Oregon mass mall shooting, only 2 people were killed besides the gunman. It sucks about the lives lost but I wouldn't consider that a mass shooting,

Atlas
12-21-2012, 14:56

VZ1600
12-21-2012, 14:58
Every shooting from now on will get top billing in the press.

Agreed!

nursetim
12-21-2012, 16:14
A mass shooting is 4 or more? 10 maybe, 4? Not hardly. Prayers to the families involved.

*ASH*
12-21-2012, 17:18

JFrame
12-21-2012, 17:28
Reminds me of the question frequently asked by American G.I.s during the Korean War: "How many hordes in a Chinese platoon?"