Christmas is cheesy. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Christmas is cheesy.

mhambi
12-21-2012, 13:38
So... I like to expose my kids to new things on occasion. Too often it's ranch dressing and Golden Corral. I like them to at least see that there's a big wide world out there...

Usually on Christmas we just have lots of snacks out and don't really have a meal per se. This year the theme is CHEESE!

After scouring local markets, local farmers, and a few internet scores, this is what I have so far:

Gruyère
Camembert
Smoked Provolone
Burrata
Havarti
Delft Blauw (bleu)
Añejo
Brie
'Oud' Gouda
Mizithra
Manchego
Extra Sharp Cheddar

To go with it all I have a few varieties of crackers, a couple kinds of apples, grapes, and some smoked salmon.

Then we get to talk about the places these cheeses come from, how they're made, history, etc...

Any cheese aficionado want to chime in on what they'd add, or their favorites?

okie
12-21-2012, 13:43
What time we eating and what should I bring:headscratch::supergrin:

okie
12-21-2012, 13:44
Swiss:supergrin:

ArtificialGrape
12-21-2012, 13:45
I'm about as far as you can get from an aficionado -- pretty content with Velveeta when I ate cheese -- and while not particularly exotic, my girls like squeaky cheese (cheese curds) around the holidays.

-ArtificialGrape

mhambi
12-21-2012, 13:49
What time we eating and what should I bring:headscratch::supergrin:

a) all day

b) your favorite cheese!

:supergrin:

Okie, the gruyere is a delicious 'swiss' type cheese. I know this because I opened the package to sample it and had to go buy another.

mhambi
12-21-2012, 13:52
Oh, I forgot, there's also some smoked ham from a local farmer that's to die for.

AG - good idea... some cheddar curds would be great!

USMCsilver
12-21-2012, 14:17
I've always been a fruit 'n cheese platter type of guy. I enjoy restaurants that offer such on a dessert menu; sadly, it isn't found often enough.

Good on ya for the education lesson. I hope they enjoy it, and your motives behind it.

Merry Christmas. :)

tous
12-21-2012, 14:24
You keep eatin' that stuff you turn into a cheese-eating, surrender monkey :shocked:

<--- can bring a box of Ritz crackers (original) :eat:

JMS
12-21-2012, 14:35
Then we get to talk about the places these cheeses come from, how they're made, history, etc...

Better give those kids some coffee to keep them awake.

lumpy76
12-21-2012, 14:50
My thoughts exactly! Sounds like the eating will be great though.

Bruce M
12-21-2012, 15:00
Limburger

:whistling:

deputy tom
12-21-2012, 18:29
I'll second the Ritz crackers and add a garlic ring bologna and pickles.tom.:supergrin:

cesaros
12-21-2012, 18:36
This is news to me...I didn't know there was any cheese other than white american

tous
12-21-2012, 18:51
I'll second the Ritz crackers and add a garlic ring bologna and pickles.tom.:supergrin:

Ring bolgna. :thumbsup:

Dill or gherkins?

<--- believes the best use of cheese is as the cheese part of a cheeseburger

Zonny
12-21-2012, 18:57
You better serve some prunes for breakfast in the AM. :faint:

okie
12-21-2012, 18:58
a) all day

b) your favorite cheese!

:supergrin:

Okie, the gruyere is a delicious 'swiss' type cheese. I know this because I opened the package to sample it and had to go buy another.

I've had Gruyere it is awesome for sure my friend:thumbsup:

deputy tom
12-21-2012, 19:44
Ring bolgna. :thumbsup:

Dill or gherkins?

<--- believes the best use of cheese is as the cheese part of a cheeseburger

Vlassic Whole Kosher Dills, Doug. tom.:supergrin:

devildog2067
12-21-2012, 19:49
Reblochon. It's the cheese of the gods.

Or maybe that's raclette.

Hmm.... that's a tough one

Hauptmann6
12-21-2012, 20:15
This stuff!!! It's very earthy and goes SO well with a dark beer. Or really anything else. I get it locally
http://www.gourmet-food.com/gourmet-cheese/red-dragon-cheese-1000287.aspx

Brie is very good on crackers. Soft and spreadable.

A marinated fresh mozzarella. And fresh italian bread. Cut the cheese put on bread. pour some of the olive oil on bread. So good.

Hauptmann6
12-21-2012, 20:17
BTW the cheddar BETTER not be kraft or Sargento. Talk about bland crap cheese.

Where are you at? if you are in the great lakes region I can tell you a few local brands to try.

mhambi
12-21-2012, 20:36

We're not talking huge amounts of cheese here... mostly just tasting. With all the other stuff, fruit, crackers, etc, it should be ok. :supergrin:

Reblochon. It's the cheese of the gods.

Or maybe that's raclette.

Hmm.... that's a tough one

Hmmmm. Will go looking. What do you like about it.

BTW the cheddar BETTER not be kraft or Sargento. Talk about bland crap cheese.

Where are you at? if you are in the great lakes region I can tell you a few local brands to try.

The cheddar is from Dean and Deluca. Never had it, but hope it's good. I'm out west, so not really in 'cheese country', but if you look around hard enough there's some good stuff. Good call on the mozzarella too.

I love cheese. :rofl:

sjfrellc
12-21-2012, 20:48
That Gruyere is great if melted over something. Fantastic when melted over toast in a good french onion soup recipe with a little bit of parmesan. Or carmelized onions and braised chicken.

Brie is classically famous when melted and slapped together with apple slices and grapes.

furioso2112
12-22-2012, 20:33
All this chatter about cheddar, somebody's gonna start whining (wining) soon. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sounds like a great idea, talking about where everything came from.

scwine
12-22-2012, 21:00
Chesse, nuts, good deli meats, a great beer, and I am a happy person.

tehan2
12-22-2012, 23:30
couple things to add....

1. you should make some cheese yourself. Mozz is easy to make, the kids could make some in less than 10 minutes

2. make sure when you taste stuff, you taste it in the proper order. you want to eat the mildest first so that you don't beat up your taste buds.

3. I don't know your budget, but if you are going to do cheese tastings, buy the best quality product that you can afford for each "type". For example, instead of a "land o lakes" (or tillamonk) Cheddar, get a good aged cheddar, maybe a 4 year old grafton, or cave aged cabot, or aged imported from Kerry Gold.

A'boy
12-23-2012, 02:46
<--- is a provolone fan.

stevelyn
12-23-2012, 02:59

No, prune juice for more of a Drano effect.

Yes Christmas can be cheesy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0nZ1igeAsE

I don't think I've ever tried a cheese I didn't like.

My favorite is Swiss.

Steel Head
12-23-2012, 04:33
Hoffmann's Swisson Rye with caraway :eat: