Thinking about a Smartphone via Verizon? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a Smartphone via Verizon?

WEATHERBY460
12-21-2012, 16:46
My contract is up and basic phones are not very cool anymore apperently. The local best buy only had 2 to choose from. For $30 more a month I can get a smartphone. (plus the cost of the phone) How do you like the smartphone, and what do you do with yours? Thanks

686Owner
12-21-2012, 16:54
I use my iPhone all the time. Listen to podcasts and music on it when I drive. Use it as a GPS when going somewhere I don't know. Use it as an always on me camera. The flash for the camera doubles as a flashlight which has been handy a few times. Use it as an alarm clock and take notes with it, make a grocery list, set a reminder for anything I might forget etc. Also, check my email, pay bills, etc.

cesaros
12-21-2012, 16:54
I like verizons service, but its $$$. $147 for two lines, and thats with a government (mil) discount applied.

I use my droid for everything though...it really pays for itself if you travel alot and need a GPS.

My 'Droid Incredible' is pretty old now, but the new Droid phones are really impressive...basically a desktop computer in your hand...and I think you can still make calls on them.

jakebrake
12-21-2012, 16:55
My contract is up and basic phones are not very cool anymore apperently. The local best buy only had 2 to choose from. For $30 more a month I can get a smartphone. (plus the cost of the phone) How do you like the smartphone, and what do you do with yours? Thanks

i love mine. samsung stratosphere. i don't shop with it. my better half has one.she uses it to get email from work, etc. my daughter is the internet junkie with hers.

we are all textaholics.

the talk to text feature is honestly iffy told my wife i love her. it came out that i marvin her.

battery life will not be what you are used to. i will bet on that.

drumr04
12-21-2012, 16:57
I use mine for everything. I will admit its not for everyone but if you need or want to have access to the internet all the time its great. I have a Droid RAZR Maxx with Verizon and I am grandfathered into unlimited data. I stay on wifi as much as possible but I still use approx 3Gb a month.

shotgunred
12-21-2012, 17:00
Buy the Samsung Galaxys3 it is the current Best phone available.

samsung.com/galaxys3

VinnieG
12-21-2012, 17:03
Love my I phone. Ain't turned my computer on since I bought the phone. I do everything on it

sputnik767
12-21-2012, 18:01
Buy the Samsung Galaxys3 it is the current Best phone available.

samsung.com/galaxys3

This.

As to what I do with mine, "everything" sums it up nicely. But to break it down, just a few things are:

Internet, tethering my 3G/LTE connection to laptop/tablet/PC, camera (use it more than my DSLR and pics are excellent), video camera, super nintendo emulator (output to TV), can likewise stream Netflix, youtube, anything to a TV, OBDII scanner/computer via a bluetooth adapter and Torque Pro app, streaming pandora over bluetooth my my car/home stereo, navigation, transit directions (live in NYC after all), real-time traffic (live in NYC after all), paying for stuff using the NFC chip w/o having to pull out my wallet, skype. And that does not include the stuff I use for work (a smartphone is pretty much mandatory in my field).

Just keep in mind, this is still a phone, and will not replace a laptop, desktop, or anything else, despite what some claim. But it will certainly supplement. For example, I can easily go on Amazon and buy whatever I need from my phone, if I hold it sideways. The screen is plenty big enough and the touch interface is very precise. And I am talking about the full amazon site, not the mobile one. However, given the choice, I will always choose my desktop or laptop for online shopping.

Whatever you decide, make sure you buy a high end phone if you go that route. That means no free Android phones. Keep it to the iPhone 5, Galaxy S3, or another high end device. But if you want my recommendation, the S3 is the best Android phone currently on the market, and I could easily make the claim that it is the overall best phone on the market. I have had more than a few iPhone 5 owners tell me that they should have gone with the S3, after they asked to play with my phone.

Kevin108
12-21-2012, 18:29
I use mine for navigation, photos, music, forums, brief e-mails and Facebook. I'm going to have to buy my next phone outright to keep my unlimited data plan. Most likely I'll buy a good used 4G device like the Razr Maxx off of eBay for $300 or so but for what the current data plans run vs how much data I use, the unsubsidized phone will end up paying for itself.

If the area you live in has poor coverage from Sprint, Verizon is a great choice as they usually have the best coverage and the most reliable network however they no longer have unlimited data and the tiered plans they offer are expensive as hell. Sprint still has the best deal on data. http://www.sprint.com/landings/compare/index.html

snubfan
12-21-2012, 21:19
I didn't really need one but you almost don't have that option anymore. I went with the Casio Commando because it's supposed to be the most durable one on the market. I am hell on phones and this thing can take a beating. They are built to milspecs and have all sorts of cool outdoorsy things on them. Mine gets dropped twice a day and it went though the washing machine in my pocket once and came out fine. It's advertised as being water resistant and there are YouTube videos of people put theirs in water to test it. Casio G'zOne Commando Torture Tests - YouTube

The downsides are it's only 3G and it's not the fastest most powerful super computer on the market. I don't live and die by all that stuff so it's a non issue for me. I can check my emails, surf GT and do a quick google search so it does everything I need it to do. There is also a 2-3 second delay I've noticed when answering calls, probably could be an issue for some but I've got used to waiting a couple of secs before saying anything when I answer.

boomhower
12-22-2012, 05:01
I love my iPhone. I use it daily and it's turned intoy main computing device. Music, podcasts, GPS, Internet, etc. Well worth the cost to me.

sheriff733
12-22-2012, 05:51
I use mine for everything. I will admit its not for everyone but if you need or want to have access to the internet all the time its great. I have a Droid RAZR Maxx with Verizon and I am grandfathered into unlimited data. I stay on wifi as much as possible but I still use approx 3Gb a month.

Until you upgrade. Then you're forced off of it. That's the one thing about Verizon that pissed me off. They crapped on their current customers already grandfathered in. If they had just left that alone, I would have no complaints about them.

Restless28
12-22-2012, 05:56
We love our iPhones. I have a 4s, and the wife and kids have the 4.

We're Verizon customers, and my phone and my wife's are under the grandfathered unlimited plan. We love Verizon.

I've said it before. The smart phone is the best invention in the last 100 years. It's a phone/watch/computer/music player/camera in the palm of your hand.

The iPhone simply does it better and is more accessible for the masses.

Bren
12-22-2012, 06:05

I switched from Verizon to AT&T and got an iphone. Best move since getting a cell phone. What do I do with it? Yesterday, while waiting for my wife outside a store, I played chess on mine, while listening to the music on it through the car's sttereo (which it also controls remotely) and sent my wife a text and looked up some stuff on Google, checked my Ebay account and checked my bank account. I live in a county where my bank has no branches, so when my wife gets a check from teaching exercise classes, I use my phone to deposit it to my bank. Every morning, my phone tells me how much money is in my account, deposits and whatever else I want to know. Sometimes I just read a book on it - during reserve duty, I also pull up Army field manuals to check things (like confirming a sergeant major was right to chew me out for marching troops at port arms, when they had slings on their rifles). Other than that? Well, I have an electronic guitar tuner in it and, if I didn't already have a $150 shot timer, I could download one for my phone, along with a baliistics computer for long range rifle shots. And I take pictures of my CCW permit, hunting license and insurance cards and keep them on the phone, just in case I forget them some time.

What else do I need? I am looking for a pdf service manual for my motorcycle, so I always have one in case of emergencies.

BTW, I have been issued 2 blackberries by the government and my wife had 1, 3 different models - avoid them like the plague. They suck.

Restless28
12-22-2012, 06:12
I switched from Verizon to AT&T and got an iphone. Best move since getting a cell phone. What do I do with it? Yesterday, while waiting for my wife outside a store, I played chess on mine, while listening to the music on it through the car's sttereo (which it also controls remotely) and sent my wife a text and looked up some stuff on Google, checked my Ebay account and checked my bank account. I live in a county where my bank has no branches, so when my wife gets a check from teaching exercise classes, I use my phone to deposit it to my bank. Every morning, my phone tells me how much money is in my account, deposits and whatever else I want to know. Sometimes I just read a book on it - during reserve duty, I also pull up Army field manuals to check things (like confirming a sergeant major was right to chew me out for marching troops at port arms, when they had slings on their rifles). Other than that? Well, I have an electronic guitar tuner in it and, if I didn't already have a $150 shot timer, I could download one for my phone, along with a baliistics computer for long range rifle shots. And I take pictures of my CCW permit, hunting license and insurance cards and keep them on the phone, just in case I forget them some time.

What else do I need? I am looking for a pdf service manual for my motorcycle, so I always have one in case of emergencies.

BTW, I have been issued 2 blackberries by the government and my wife had 1, 3 different models - avoid them like the plague. They suck.

This is why the iPhone is brilliant.

WEATHERBY460
12-22-2012, 06:22
im scared that the verizon 1gb wont be enough...thoughts?

NAS T MAG
12-22-2012, 06:22
The iPhone simply does it better and is more accessible for the masses.

There is an advantage to buying an IPhone 4S running 5.1.1 software and that is the ability to jailbreak it. There is currently no Jailbreak for the IPhone 5 or any IPhone running 6.0.

I only keep about 1000 songs on my phone, but I have about 5000 on Audiogalaxy. I currently have 219 applications installed. I like the ability to tweak my phone and get apps that most others can't.

If you like to tinker, check this out.

http://dailyiphoneblog.com/category/jailbreak-apps/

ArtificialGrape
12-22-2012, 06:36
iPhone 5 that is rarely out of arms's reach. Lots of phone calls and texting plus...

Work
Email
Calendar
Contacts
To Do
Submit expense reports (Concur)
Follow GoToMeetings when traveling

Personal
Email
Calendar
Contacts
Reminders
Grocery list shared with my wife
Music
Netflix streaming
Alarm clock
Check weather
Online banking
GPS navigation
Track workouts
Travel management (United, Flight Track Pro, Tripit)
Read/post to GlockTalk
Facebook
Amazon shopping
Camera/video
Follow favorite sports/teams (ESPN ScoreCenter)
Google all those "I wonder" thoughts
An occasional game

-ArtificialGrape

Dragoon44
12-22-2012, 06:42
The average smartphone user uses their smartphone to do just about everything.

Except making calls.

:rofl::rofl:

eracer
12-22-2012, 06:51
T-Mobile is the way to go. Why?

Because they are investing $4 billion to implement LTE, and their network - due to be completed by the end of 2013 - will use the newer and faster HSPA+ technology, offering speeds up to 42mbps, something the current carriers can't do because of their heavy investment in older, slower (max 16mbps) WCDMA protocols that can't be upgraded to HSPA+.

You can buy a 4G phone today that can be upgraded to HPSA+ LTE when it rolls out. And if you go with Verizon, you may have to wait a few more years for them to invest in even newer LTE-Ultra infrastructure.

eracer
12-22-2012, 06:52
The average smartphone user uses their smartphone to do just about everything.

Except making calls.

:rofl::rofl:It would be less confusing for guys like you if they just called a 'smart thingy.'

Dragoon44
12-22-2012, 07:12
It would be less confusing for guys like you if they just called a 'smart thingy.'

I just call mine a "Thingamajig"

I thought about T mobile till I looked at their coverage maps. Unless you live around a major urban area their coverage sucks.
Where I am planning to relocate to next year tmobile only has 2G for data!

snubfan
12-22-2012, 07:20
T-Mobile is the way to go. Why?

Because they are investing $4 billion to implement LTE, and their network - due to be completed by the end of 2013 - will use the newer and faster HSPA+ technology, offering speeds up to 42mbps, something the current carriers can't do because of their heavy investment in older, slower (max 16mbps) WCDMA protocols that can't be upgraded to HSPA+.

You can buy a 4G phone today that can be upgraded to HPSA+ LTE when it rolls out. And if you go with Verizon, you may have to wait a few more years for them to invest in even newer LTE-Ultra infrastructure.
Engrish Prease!:wavey:

Kevin108
12-22-2012, 07:21
im scared that the verizon 1gb wont be enough...thoughts?

It won't.

eracer
12-22-2012, 07:22
I just call mine a "Thingamajig"

I thought about T mobile till I looked at their coverage maps. Unless you live around a major urban area their coverage sucks.
Where I am planning to relocate to next year tmobile only has 2G for data!Yes, but they are (allegedly) going to have the largest and best LTE coverage area when they roll it out. Buying MetroPCS was a smart move on their part.

I hear you about today, however. I don't think I could live with 2G most of the time either.

That's what stopped me from getting an unlocked iPhone 5 (well, that and the $795 price tag.) I could get a nano-SIM from T-Mobile, but it would only work as a 2G phone err...'thingamajig.'

NAS T MAG
12-22-2012, 07:23
And I take pictures of my CCW permit, hunting license and insurance cards and keep them on the phone, just in case I forget them some time.

Not sure what bike you have, but I Googled "(Brand Name) motorcycle manual downloads" and found a lot of them.

Also, you might want to check out DocsToGo. You can install the app on your phone and multiple computers. I keep about 10 folders keeping info on about everything I need. It keeps all common files like Word, Excel, PDF, all photo extensions, etc. It's very handy to keep all that info in 1 place.

eracer
12-22-2012, 07:32
Engrish Prease!:wavey:The major carriers (Sprint, Verizon, AT&T) invested early in the rollout of LTE technology. At the time the data speeds were amazing - up to 16mbps (and if you don't know what mbps, or mb/sec means, well....)

Anyway, T-Mobile has chugged along with it's slower network, opting to hold off on LTE. They are getting into LTE as a new version is being implemented. That version uses something called HSPA+ (Enhanced High Speed Packet Access.) HSPA+ can run at a theoretical speed of 84mbps, although T-Mobile will implement theirs at 42mbps.

Unfortunately for the other carriers, they can't adapt their existing LTE network to HSPA+. They have to essentially start over. Which they will, because they have gobs and gobs and gobs of money.

But right now, T-Mobile has a huge head start on the fastest LTE network in the US.

Mr981
12-22-2012, 07:52
I recently dumped VZW in favor of Virgin Mobile. I picked up 2 Samsung Galaxy Reverbs for $99 each--no contract and for $35/month (each) I get 300 minutes (adequate) and unlimited data. 3g data speeds--adequate for mobile use--but the unlimited data is the deal.

If I tried to replicate this with VZW the cost would be at least $150/month. Sprint doesn't have coverage as good as VZW, but for my purposes it's fine.

I'm impressed with the Samsung Galaxy phones and Android operating system--good functionality, easy to use--the voice recognition work amazingly well--and a nice bright screen. Again, this setup on the VZW network would cost me a lot of money but Virgin makes it affordable.

Taphius
12-22-2012, 08:38
The major carriers (Sprint, Verizon, AT&T) invested early in the rollout of LTE technology. At the time the data speeds were amazing - up to 16mbps (and if you don't know what mbps, or mb/sec means, well....)

Anyway, T-Mobile has chugged along with it's slower network, opting to hold off on LTE. They are getting into LTE as a new version is being implemented. That version uses something called HSPA+ (Enhanced High Speed Packet Access.) HSPA+ can run at a theoretical speed of 84mbps, although T-Mobile will implement theirs at 42mbps.

Unfortunately for the other carriers, they can't adapt their existing LTE network to HSPA+. They have to essentially start over. Which they will, because they have gobs and gobs and gobs of money.

But right now, T-Mobile has a huge head start on the fastest LTE network in the US.

Hspa is 3g with enhanced backhaul, it is older tech not newer. Att has hspa as well but usually at the 21mbps sped or so but their lte is 60mbps at mccarren airport here in Vegas, 12-35mpbs elswhere in the valley for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Thumpernator
12-22-2012, 09:53
I just updated my Verizon phone to the Galaxy S3. Great phone (wife has had hers for a few months) and if you decide on one, Best Buy is $100 cheaper than the Verizon store. BB also has a better insurance plan that is zero deductible compared to the $100 deductible through Verizon.

The voice feature in sending texts is awesome.

drumr04
12-22-2012, 10:01
Until you upgrade. Then you're forced off of it. That's the one thing about Verizon that pissed me off. They crapped on their current customers already grandfathered in. If they had just left that alone, I would have no complaints about them.
You only have to choose a tiered data plan if you get the phone subsidized thru Verizon. I got mine on craigslist. Traded an iPhone 4s for it. I plan to continue to do that when I need a new phone in the future.

acaligunner
12-22-2012, 12:12
This.

As to what I do with mine, "everything" sums it up nicely. But to break it down, just a few things are:

Internet, tethering my 3G/LTE connection to laptop/tablet/PC, camera (use it more than my DSLR and pics are excellent), video camera, super nintendo emulator (output to TV), can likewise stream Netflix, youtube, anything to a TV, OBDII scanner/computer via a bluetooth adapter and Torque Pro app, streaming pandora over bluetooth my my car/home stereo, navigation, transit directions (live in NYC after all), real-time traffic (live in NYC after all), paying for stuff using the NFC chip w/o having to pull out my wallet, skype. And that does not include the stuff I use for work (a smartphone is pretty much mandatory in my field).

Just keep in mind, this is still a phone, and will not replace a laptop, desktop, or anything else, despite what some claim. But it will certainly supplement. For example, I can easily go on Amazon and buy whatever I need from my phone, if I hold it sideways. The screen is plenty big enough and the touch interface is very precise. And I am talking about the full amazon site, not the mobile one. However, given the choice, I will always choose my desktop or laptop for online shopping.

Whatever you decide, make sure you buy a high end phone if you go that route. That means no free Android phones. Keep it to the iPhone 5, Galaxy S3, or another high end device. But if you want my recommendation, the S3 is the best Android phone currently on the market, and I could easily make the claim that it is the overall best phone on the market. I have had more than a few iPhone 5 owners tell me that they should have gone with the S3, after they asked to play with my phone.

I agree with just about everything above, just want to add some personal experience. :cool:

I have the unlimited plan with my phone, because I don't want extra charges applied, also remember that you only get certain 'minutes' when calling landline phones.

You will be stuck in 3 G land if you do not have a personal hotspot, wireless WiFi, when you travel or are away from home.

Buy a case to protect you phone, because you will drop it.

I jumped ship from my iphone 4s to a Samsung S3. The salesman told me they can shatter when dropped, so i bought an otter box case for the S3.

I love the big screen on the S3, it was a little different from the iphone system that I was use to, but I was happy overall.

Until the S3 fell, it wasn't a big spill, about a foot ( maybe a foot and a half ), but when i picked it back up, it had shattered. I had hairline cracks on the top, and bottom of the screen.

So I returned it, for a I5. IMO, my iphone 4s has not shattered, so I expect the I5 to be of the same quality.

The test came when I went on vacation to Mexico.

I flew to MX city, traveled to Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, and some other parts unknown, then flew back to TJ, traveled to Rosarito, and then traveled back into the States.

It was in mexico city on the metro that my i5 fell ( i have an otter box on my iPhones ), and I checked it out and it didn't suffer any cracks or shattering of the screen. :cool:

'oh it's true, it's damn true' ( remember kurt angle ? :rofl: ).

While I was traveling in Mexico city, Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, TJ, Rosarito, and other places, I stayed in contact with my family thru my smartphone. I called, text, sent messages, pics, video, and used the web, and weather reports, to make my trip easier on me and my family.

Do you 'need' a smartphone, YES!!

sputnik767
12-22-2012, 13:06
This is why the iPhone is brilliant.

None of those things are unique to the iphone.

Npc5
12-22-2012, 14:10

Well as long as you buy your handset outright then you have no problems keeping the data. I would rather spend the 849.99 for the Iphone 5 64gb than pay 300 something dollars for a phone with a cap. Especially when you consider that data overage charges are 10 dollars per gb.

-Npc5

Dragoon44
12-22-2012, 14:38
None of those things are unique to the iphone.

Blasphemous unbeliever!!!! may the wrath of the Jobs fall upon you!

sputnik767
12-22-2012, 15:17
Blasphemous unbeliever!!!! may the wrath of the Jobs fall upon you!

:rofl:

It's interesting, I was streaming Pandora over bluetooth in my car yesterday, and got a call from my GF using the Viber app (she is currently in south America on vacation with her family). Viber is basically VOIP calling, which seamlessly integrates into your contact list and automatically identifies other Viber users. Also sends free texts to them. Pandora automatically paused, and when the call was done, the app automatically went out of view and Pandora came into view and started playing. I have to say, I was rather impressed at how smooth they made everything nowadays. Similarly, if I am streaming music over BT and a text comes in, the music volume attenuates, message tone sounds, and volume goes back to where it was. The phone is the Galaxy S3. Point of all this is, both iOS and Android offer an identically smooth user experience, the only thing that separates them is the unique philosophy that underlies each OS. And on the Android side, you obviously have higher-end and lower-end devices. On the flip side, there are quite a few things that are very easy to do on Android, that are complex or impossible on the iPhone. This goes back to the differences in philosophy behind each system.

sheriff733
12-22-2012, 18:24
Well as long as you buy your handset outright then you have no problems keeping the data. I would rather spend the 849.99 for the Iphone 5 64gb than pay 300 something dollars for a phone with a cap. Especially when you consider that data overage charges are 10 dollars per gb.

-Npc5

That's cool for some.

For that price I could end my contracts and go to sprint and not have to worry about it.

:supergrin:

sputnik767
12-22-2012, 19:20
That's cool for some.

For that price I could end my contracts and go to sprint and not have to worry about it.

:supergrin:

The downside though, you'll be on Sprint. I'm on Sprint, they are great in some places, not too good in most though.

Dragoon44
12-22-2012, 19:22
Verizon database got hacked.

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-customer-database-hacked-300000-entries-leaked-online

Thumpernator
12-22-2012, 19:32
Verizon database got hacked.

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-customer-database-hacked-300000-entries-leaked-online

That was for FIOS, not for wireless. Has no bearing here.

Dragoon44
12-22-2012, 19:37

Actually that is just what the hacker has released. they are not sure what else he has.

LASTRESORT20
12-22-2012, 19:38

Huh! :supergrin: :)

TBO
12-22-2012, 19:44
A point about subsidized,/contract cell phones is this.

What you're actually paying for over 2 years of the contract in a monthly fee is a portion of the discounted smartphone. This means that if your contract is up you really should be buying a new phone to take advantage of the money you're paying toward a new phone. You keep your own phone you're actually paying towards a new phone you have not received and will not receive.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

Dragoon44
12-22-2012, 19:50

What you're actually paying for over 2 years of the contract in a monthly fee is a portion of the discounted smartphone. This means that if your contract is up you really should be buying a new phone to take advantage of the money you're paying toward a new phone. You keep your own phone you're actually paying towards a new phone you have not received and will not receive.

The first rule about carrier gouging, DON"T talk about carrier gouging!!!

:rofl:

Thumpernator
12-22-2012, 20:00
Actually that is just what the hacker has released. they are not sure what else he has.

Unless Verizon is holding back info, they confirmed that their wireless database was not hacked.

Regardless, it's always wise to change passwords often. :cool:

686Owner
12-22-2012, 20:18

While in general that's true, if I got a subsidized upgrade, I would be forced into the new data plans and have to pay more. I would also lose my unlimited data. I paid full price for the phone instead and get to keep my unlimited data. :)

Dragoon44
12-22-2012, 20:20
Unless Verizon is holding back info, they confirmed that their wireless database was not hacked.

Regardless, it's always wise to change passwords often. :cool:

Exactly, What verizon has is a hacker that claims to have 3 milllion customers accounts. so far he has released only 300K of them and they appear to be, as you say, FIOS.

Dragoon44
12-22-2012, 20:23
While in general that's true, if I got a subsidized upgrade, I would be forced into the new data plans and have to pay more. I would also lose my unlimited data. I paid full price for the phone instead and get to keep my unlimited data. :)

For now, don't be surprised when later they say activating a new phone eliminates the unlimited data plan.

Thumpernator
12-22-2012, 20:37
686owner- How much data do you use each month? I was surprised to find that I was using less than a Gig a month with my phone.

sheriff733
12-23-2012, 06:56
For now, don't be surprised when later they say activating a new phone eliminates the unlimited data plan.

This.

Eventually. They are going to get you off unlimited data. Count on it.

:wavey:

GWG19
12-23-2012, 08:23
I use my IPhone for everything. At work I use it for taking credit cards, scheduling appointments, ringing up sales using QB online. The same IPhone has been used while traveling in Egypt, Jordan, Greece, Italy, France and Mexico. I use the IPhone for entertainment, music, games and videos. I might make a phone call or two on it as well as texting.
My wife use her IPhone for texting, calling me every 5 minutes, playing solitaire and playing hanging with friends.
We don't use it much for directions while home as we have Nav in both cars.
We love our IPhones. We hated our Blackberrys. Mine met an early demise. It had an accident with a hammer.
One of the questions I ask when hiring a employee is if they have a smart phone. If so what kind. Their ability to receive appointments is very important.

drumr04
12-23-2012, 08:25
This.

Eventually. They are going to get you off unlimited data. Count on it.

:wavey:

And when they do that i will switch to another carrier or a no contract Co. I've been looking at TMobile but have held off cause their network seems underdeveloped I'm my area.

I like Verizon for their coverage but they're expensive and paying more for a limited about of data is a deal breaker for me.

sheriff733
12-23-2012, 09:12
And when they do that i will switch to another carrier or a no contract Co. I've been looking at TMobile but have held off cause their network seems underdeveloped I'm my area.

I like Verizon for their coverage but they're expensive and paying more for a limited about of data is a deal breaker for me.

I'm right there with you.

I'm looking hard at sprint. The coverage may not be quite as good, but they at least seem to be a company that is actually trying to make their customers happy and not just their shareholders.

Dragoon44
12-23-2012, 09:42
been with Sprint for nine years now. No real complaints other than the past year or so because their 3G network is so over saturated in my area. they finally upgraded it a few months ago and now it's pretty fast. we are supposed to get 4LTE sometime in the next month or so.

Sprints buy out of clearwire will give them more spectrum than AT&T and Verizon combined. The Japanese wireless Co. Softbank has bought controlling interest in Sprint so what that is going to mean is yet to be seen.

sheriff733
12-23-2012, 11:03
been with Sprint for nine years now. No real complaints other than the past year or so because their 3G network is so over saturated in my area. they finally upgraded it a few months ago and now it's pretty fast. we are supposed to get 4LTE sometime in the next month or so.

Sprints buy out of clearwire will give them more spectrum than AT&T and Verizon combined. The Japanese wireless Co. Softbank has bought controlling interest in Sprint so what that is going to mean is yet to be seen.

Hmm. Not really a big fan of it being a Japanese company now.

Might stick with Verizon after all.

sheriff733
12-23-2012, 17:43
Just stopped by Verizon and they're charging $30 just to upgrade on top of the other taxes and fees now?

Really starting to get tired of all this crap.

Dragoon44
12-23-2012, 17:54
Hmm. Not really a big fan of it being a Japanese company now.

Might stick with Verizon after all.

Vodafone owns 45% of Verizon.

sheriff733
12-23-2012, 18:22
Vodafone owns 45% of Verizon.

I had no idea.

Hopefully this takeover will result in an overall better customer experience and not try to come in and change things up too wildly, too quickly.

Dragoon44
12-23-2012, 18:40
I had no idea.

Hopefully this takeover will result in an overall better customer experience and not try to come in and change things up too wildly, too quickly.

The CEO of Softbank stated that other than the obvious motivation of making money he was inspired to make the offer for controlling interest because he had been her many times and found the wireless services to be sub par. and thinks his company can do better.

sputnik767
12-23-2012, 20:28
The CEO of Softbank stated that other than the obvious motivation of making money he was inspired to make the offer for controlling interest because he had been her many times and found the wireless services to be sub par. and thinks his company can do better.

Haha, anything over what Sprint is now would be an improvement.

shadow_dog
12-24-2012, 04:47

^ditto. That pisses the hell out of me. Wife wants to upgrade her phone but won't because of that practice. It sucks because Verizon has the only constant service where we work. She was told "it would only be $30 more a month for a6 gig plan". Wow, what a concept..more for less.

686Owner
12-24-2012, 05:40
686owner- How much data do you use each month? I was surprised to find that I was using less than a Gig a month with my phone.

I think I average about 1.6GB. Probably only been over 2GB maybe 3 times in 2 years. Not that big of a deal, but no reason to pay more each month AND have a data limit. Would probably end up with a 4GB plan between my wife and I, which was nearly $25 a month more than we are paying now.

686Owner
12-24-2012, 05:44

Luckily, I won't be under contract and free to leave if I need to.

WEATHERBY460
12-24-2012, 16:47
Got a RAZR m from verizon...using it now

Dragoon44
12-24-2012, 17:08
At one point Google stated they wanted to get into wireless, they wanted to do 9.99 a month data plan. They were in talks with Dish Network just before Dish got FCC approval to enter the wireless provider market using their unused spectrum.

brisk21
12-24-2012, 19:39
I like Verizons coverage and fast LTE, but it is stupid expensive. I lost my unlimitied data plan just by upgrading to the Samsung Galaxy S3. What a rip off! I upgrade, buy a new phone from them, sign a new 2 year contract and what do I get? Limited data. I have a real love/hate relationship with Verizon. I should switch to Sprint, but I don't want to pay Verizon the $350 cancellation fee. Which is also a huge ripoff!! Why the hell do I need to sign a contract?!?! I hate it, but I did it to myself.