Why all the hate for Bushmaster? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why all the hate for Bushmaster?

WEATHERBY460
12-21-2012, 16:52
I agree colt is a better built rifle, but of all the makers of ar type guns now, I am surprised how much negative comments I am reading about the bushmaster. I thougt 10 years ago Bushmaster was better then even the Colt? What went wrong?

WoodenPlank
12-21-2012, 16:59
I agree colt is a better built rifle, but of all the makers of ar type guns now, I am surprised how much negative comments I am reading about the bushmaster. I thougt 10 years ago Bushmaster was better then even the Colt? What went wrong?

Freedom group bought them out, quality went downhill. Look at the ACR as a perfect example of Bushmaster ruining a decent design.

Sent from the USS Sulaco.

faawrenchbndr
12-21-2012, 17:11
A good manufacturer bought out by a company just concerned
about a profit margin. This will turn the highest quality product
to the worst in short time.

jakebrake
12-21-2012, 17:16
no hate here. i'm quite happy with mine. it does what i want it to do. shoots well, reliable, didn't spend the national debt buying it. let a friend shoot it that was shocked how well it performed, verses what it cost.

Actionmonkey
12-21-2012, 17:19
I spent $700 on mine and couldn't be happier! Stays in my patrol car all day long ad still goes bang when I pull the trigger.

Leper
12-21-2012, 17:21
Go to youtube and search for the video of Hitler finding out how much the new Bushmaster is going to cost. That sums up how I feel about the company.

mixflip
12-21-2012, 17:23
Hate? Maybe todays in environment but back in thw day i remember Bushmaster being one of the top 3 rifles you would see in a police cruiser. (Colt/Bushmaster/DPMS) I also remember when CMMG was what BCM is today.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

jakebrake
12-21-2012, 17:25
I also remember when CMMG was what BCM is today.

aren't they the guys that do tactical bacon? if so, they deserve the nobel prize. connect guns and bacon.

throw in coffee, and you hit the trifecta right there.

mvician
12-21-2012, 17:33
I also remember when CMMG was what BCM is today.

CMMG was never the BCM of it's day, the only claim to any fame is when they sold "bargain bin rifles".

TangoFoxtrot
12-22-2012, 07:33

They are all evil! The black rifles contain evil spirits that cause people to kill....Didn't you get the memo?

Glockdude1
12-22-2012, 07:52
They are all evil! The black rifles contain evil spirits that cause people to kill....Didn't you get the memo?

http://oi52.tinypic.com/2r5zzlu.jpg

My two 'black rifles" must be defective. No evil spirits, never tried to bite me, attack my kids, wife, etc....

:dunno:

crazymoose
12-22-2012, 12:55
It's not so much that Bushmaster has gotten worse (although, under Cerberus' management, they may well have), it's that other companies now offer a better product for the same price or cheaper.

With all the companies out there now whose rifles conform to the M16 and M4 TDP, there's no reason, in my opinion, to buy a rifle that is not "to spec," unless it's a whole lot cheaper- which companies like Bushmaster and Rock River are not. In fact, they're often pricier than other, better options.

Also, Bushmaster essentially killed the ACR/Masada, by making it too expensive, removing much of the modularity (remember the lowers that were supposed to take AK mags?), failing to come out with new barrels of different lengths and calibers, and deciding that the new, improved Remington version would not be sold on the civilian market.

So, long story short, Bushmaster/Freedom Group/Cerberus can all go suck it. Now that Cerberus has cut ties, maybe more competent management will take over. Time will tell.

bigmoney890
12-22-2012, 13:11
Well now that Cerberus is selling the freedom group, maybe someone that's concerned with quality will start purchasing these companies? :dunno:

faawrenchbndr
12-22-2012, 13:16
It's not so much that Bushmaster has gotten worse.................

Yes, they have gotten MUCH worse!

marvin
12-22-2012, 15:10
http://oi52.tinypic.com/2r5zzlu.jpg

My two 'black rifles" must be defective. No evil spirits, never tried to bite me, attack my kids, wife, etc....

:dunno:

you mean they haven't bite you "yet":whistling:

Glockdude1
12-22-2012, 15:42
you mean they haven't bite you "yet":whistling:

They "know" who their master is.......

:cool:

Spiffums
12-22-2012, 18:41
Throwing in the old "some people are just trying to convince themselves they didn't overpay for a pic of a young horse".

For what 99% of the AR15 owners do, a DMPS/Bushmaster/Rock River/et al will do just fine for their range plinking and zombie killing.

Rooster Rugburn
12-22-2012, 19:05
I think it's more tribalism than anything. That is just the way tribes operate. Look how the Glock fan boys act. Perhaps Bushmaster represents a bigger threat to the brand whores because Bushmaster sells more, or makes a decent product for the money. Who knows. If you spend more for bragging rights, maybe it's just natural to do the reverse of bragging, and attack the strongest competitor. :dunno: I've never understood the tribal aspect, but maybe it goes back to the competitiveness men seem to have.

From the other perspective, people take shots at "dancing pony", and IMO, a Colt is a damn fine value for the money. But if you don't want to spend $250 extra, I cannot blame you.

I'm one of these who don't care what black rifle you own, I'm just glad you own one. I see you owning any AR as common ground (you are not a Fudd) between us. If more people were more mature about it, we would be a much tighter knit community.

The thing that gets me is that I own Colt and BCM. I'm not spending more for Noveske, but I'm not in N. Dallas. I don't have a drop leg holster with a 30 round Glock magazine either. I would like to get a Daniel Defense, if not for the panic. If we don't get a ban, I probably will.

But I don't slam people for buying DPMS, BM, Stag, RRA, or any other. I own BM, Stag, and RRA, and have never had a problem with them. I am not going to paint a Colt or BCM for coyote hunting. I will NOT buy an Olympic, but that is for reasons other than the AR.

USMCgs3
12-22-2012, 19:32
Go to youtube and search for the video of Hitler finding out how much the new Bushmaster is going to cost. That sums up how I feel about the company.

Ah, you again. Cant leave it alone can you?

Stang_Man
12-22-2012, 20:15
I just bought my first AR, a Bushmaster!

I figured if theres anything I don't like about it, I can just swap it out ;)

USMCgs3
12-22-2012, 21:56
I just bought my first AR, a Bushmaster!

I figured if theres anything I don't like about it, I can just swap it out ;)

Bushmaster ar is better then no ar. I just bought one along with a stag 2t. Havent shot it yet but pretty confident they will go bang just like my m&p 15.

KalashniKEV
12-23-2012, 04:06
It's a junk spec gun.

They were a rip off at pre panic prices.

Leper
12-23-2012, 08:19
Ah, you again. Cant leave it alone can you?

Leave what alone? Look one post above mine.

Darkangel1846
12-23-2012, 13:05
I have an old bushmaster....the old Bushmaster A1 with an AK muzzle break....still kicks a**, never a hiccup.

grapony
12-23-2012, 18:48
A coworker of mine has a Bushy, Everytime we go to the range his Bushmaster always jams several times while my Delton runs like a sewing machine. I don't know what the problem is but mine is more reliable.

Leper
12-23-2012, 19:32
A coworker of mine has a Bushy, Everytime we go to the range his Bushmaster always jams several times while my Delton runs like a sewing machine. I don't know what the problem is but mine is more reliable.
I have yet to meet an officer with a Delton that was anything other than happy with it.

SNH Glocks
12-23-2012, 19:57
I have an older Bushmaster, probably from 2005-6.
It works fine, I just wish it hadn't come with a commercial OD buffer tube.

JuneyBooney
12-23-2012, 22:38
A good manufacturer bought out by a company just concerned
about a profit margin. This will turn the highest quality product
to the worst in short time.

I agree but that has happened to a lot of companies.

Three-Five-Seven
12-24-2012, 03:03
The Freedom Group has pretty well wrecked every company it has acquired. They'll get no further support from me.

I did own a Bushmaster that was pre-Cerberus and it was a rattle trap. Good barrel, but that's about all it had going for it. Got rid of it and never missed it.

In my small world, the BM rifles are bottom tier.

GLOCK2130
12-24-2012, 17:58
I've shot a few 3 gun matches with mine Its one of the newer ones built in NY . Ive shot steel case ammo in it almost every match maybe 1000 rounds so far never had a problem with it . Ive seen more expensive brands there having problems running brass . I see a lot of the same forging maker marks on my Bushys lower and upper as some of the more expensive brands. It came with the M4 cuts , gas keys properly staked, ect. I had a Colt HBAR years ago and I cant tell any difference in quality or function . I think a lot of problems with AR's can be traced back to magazines or people screwing around with swapping out buffers, springs ,trigger components, ect.

Bottom line every one seems to have there flavor or brand they like or dislike what was cool last year might not be cool next year, in fact the only time I hear any one putting them down is on the internet or the pretend know it alls at the gunshops everyone thats out there at the shoots I've been too seem to be more focused on getting a good score and having fun than talking trash about others selection in equipment.

gtrcivic
12-25-2012, 17:53
I picked up my BM M4/A3 superlight the friday before 08 Election and no issues with it. Granted I paid $999 for it 4 yrs ago, but the price of it has stayed around the same for the past 4 yrs until last two weeks. I'll hold onto it and pass it down to my son or unless i'm offered a ridiculous amount of $$ for it.

Can really say its junk, since its the one that the last few mass shooters have used and killed. DC Sniper, Aurora Movie theater, Newtown, and NY FD.

mrmedina
12-25-2012, 19:17
No haten' from me, my Bushy was purchased in 01.2005. I did upgrade bolt/BCG, nothing more from what were my gripes from the military. I would have done same thing with any other AR/M-4 style that I decided on.

At the time of my research of the Bushmaster brand, I was taken by the use of the 5.56/.223 chamber offered by BM. And yes, I knew the shoulder/neck of that round was so small for the difference of that chamber. Besides that I love snakes and loved the BM brand snake.
Thus is the reason I bought a Bushmaster.

KalashniKEV
12-26-2012, 07:24
Can really say its junk, since its the one that the last few mass shooters have used and killed. DC Sniper, Aurora Movie theater, Newtown, and NY FD.

:upeyes:

Boot Stomper
12-26-2012, 11:44
Many of you may know this, but the old Bushmaster is now operating under the name Windham Weaponry. Check them out.

http://www.windhamweaponry.com/

Here is a You Tube review of Windham.

Windham Weaponry AR15 Rifles - YouTube

GunHo198
12-26-2012, 12:17
I own a mix of rifles. One all RR the rest are mixed assemblies of BM barrels, and I'm not sure who made the uppers. All of mine shoot great. Can't blame who makes the lowers as all the magic happens in the upper receiver group. Only time I had issues was while using cheap tulammo from Walmart. It just didn't have enough powder in the round to eject the empty cases. The only rifle that would feed the tulammo was my Rock River, and that's because it's been used the most and the most broken in rifle I own. The other rifles work fine with the M855 rounds.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

RMTactical
12-26-2012, 22:24
I bought several Bushmaster barrels back around the time the ban expired and they all work well for me and those I know who used them. Haven't seen much of their more recent work though.

GunHo198
12-27-2012, 12:50
I actually preferred the Bushmaster barrel as I liked the park finish.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)