I just finished my 2nd full week as a gun store sales person [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I just finished my 2nd full week as a gun store sales person

SiberianErik
12-21-2012, 18:38
So I just finished my first full two week pay period as your basic gun/hunting sales associate. :wavey: I work in what probly is the largest gun store in the south. We have around 140K sq ft (not all guns) w/approx 10,000 guns of all types under the roof. It is still enjoyable and I guess I started in the Perfect Storm, w/ Christmas, the Obama reelection and the possible ban :shocked:

It is my very first retail job of any kind, I am a professional in the medical field, so running the cash register and dealing w/all kinds of people for 10 hrs a shift was a real eye opener. I have def learned some interesting stuff working "the other side of the counter":supergrin:

I can answer some questions if you have any

Atlas
12-21-2012, 18:40

Got ammo?

1-2man
12-21-2012, 18:44
How about some PMags? :whistling:

Hauptmann6
12-21-2012, 18:45
Ready to start punching people yet?

SiberianErik
12-21-2012, 18:47
Got ammo?

Pistol yes. Rifle ..not sooo much.

DaneA
12-21-2012, 18:49
Enjoying the Christmas music?
Have you encountered the season of giving (you hell)?

SiberianErik
12-21-2012, 18:52
Ready to start punching people yet?

Yuuup. Esp when a fat, slimy looking dude wearing a SEAL SNIPER ratty shirt feels they have to jump into a conversation btw me and a possible sale. :steamed:

Ex. I was talking a a nice middle aged white guy (in the med field), I had him ready to pull the trigger on an HK P30 V3 in 9MM. It was his first gun, but the SEAL SNIPER motored by on his Rascal and said that HK's blow and he should know, he used them in the "sandbox" :upeyes: to kill hadji's. The buyer then gave me "I will go think about it" and left.:steamed::steamed: The buyer came back today and did get the P30 so not all was lost.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-21-2012, 18:59
You work on commision?

HarleyGuy
12-21-2012, 19:00
Over the last few years I've had some time behind a table of guns that were used for display purposes only, not for sale.

I learned very QUICKLY that I did NOT like looking down the muzzle of any gun even though I knew tha it wasn't loaded.

Your thoughts?:shocked:

okie
12-21-2012, 19:02
Good luck in the job my friend:thumbsup:

TK-421
12-21-2012, 19:05
Working retail definitely sucks. Especially when you get those customers who have the "I want everything and I needed it yesterday" attitude. And no matter how fast you go, you're not going fast enough. Eventually you'll learn ways to relieve stress by picking at the customers and pissing them off while still appearing to be totally innocent. It's the only way to stay sane, trust me.

SiberianErik
12-21-2012, 19:05
You work on commision?

Yes, I make $9.50 p/hr and 2% on guns, 3% on ammo and other stuff like eyes/ears, targets, cleaning kits, etc..

I have never been in "sales" so to speak but I love talking guns. I finished #3 on top sales for the pay period. :faint: I was shocked, I would have been #2 except one guy sold a Barrett and some pricey glass yesterday.

concretefuzzynuts
12-21-2012, 19:07
Are you an a-hole yet?

russoj429
12-21-2012, 19:12
Any rifles left on the shelf?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

DaneA
12-21-2012, 19:18
Working retail definitely sucks. Especially when you get those customers who have the "I want everything and I needed it yesterday" attitude. And no matter how fast you go, you're not going fast enough.

"Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part."

<- Has said this to many customers.

Usually started with:
Customer: "I need 2 bunks of OSB to the house I'm building today."
Me: "When did you know you needed said lumber?"
Customer: "When I started the house 2 months ago."
Me: "I'll have it there tomorrow/next day."
Customer: "But I need it today."
Me: "Ok, I'll be there tomorrow/next day."

SiberianErik
12-21-2012, 19:20
Are you an a-hole yet?

Getting there, no actually I am already po ing some of the more veteran staff as I have people coming in on referrals and asking for me by name. :tongueout:

So far alot of newbs coming in and asking for BM's by name. I swear people see a rifle used in a horrific event and they feel they need one as well. Same thing happened w/the 5.7 after Ft Hood.

12-21-2012, 19:24
Getting there, no actually I am already po ing some of the more veteran staff as I have people coming in on referrals and asking for me by name. :tongueout:

So far alot of newbs coming in and asking for BM's by name. I swear people see a rifle used in a horrific event and they feel they need one as well. Same thing happened w/the 5.7 after Ft Hood.

They have to have the OJ Bronco!:whistling:

SiberianErik
12-21-2012, 19:26
Any rifles left on the shelf?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Tons of fudd bolt action, other than that, our tactile section is bare dry. Even the big stuff that has been sitting for a long time like the .338 Federal, AR-10,SCAR-H,Bushy ACR, etc..is long gone.

Twice, one today and once yesterday I had young girls in their early 20's come in a slap down Gold AMEX cards. They asked me what is going to go on a ban list in 90 days, then buy it. I handed one a 6.8 AR w/ a ton of ammo and mags, the other chick I got her an AR in .338 Federal:cool: w/ 500 rds.

Jay S.
12-21-2012, 19:28

Usually started with:

This brings back memories. I did 5 yrs behind the counter at a Lumber Yard. I will never work with the public again.

Customer: I need a window.
Me: What kind?
Customer: (offended I would ask such a retarded question)You know, a regular window!
Me: Explains a casement, awning, double hung etc. Now what size?
Customer:(Now furious and looking at me with utter contempt) You know, regular size!

Repeat with a door, a deck and so on and so forth.

fnfalman
12-21-2012, 19:29
Twice, one today and once yesterday I had young girls in their early 20's come in a slap down Gold AMEX cards. They asked me what is going to go on a ban list in 90 days, then buy it. I handed one a 6.8 AR w/ a ton of ammo and mags, the other chick I got her an AR in .338 Federal:cool: w/ 500 rds.

Were they HAWT?

itisbruno
12-21-2012, 19:29
...I can answer some questions if you have any

Find a general method(a method that works on all angles) to split an angle into three smaller angles.

Thanks.

TK-421
12-21-2012, 19:31

Usually started with:

I would normally just smile and take forever, and then "accidentally" make a mistake and have to re-ring their order up. More than once I had people walk away in just utter contempt. Made me laugh so hard I cried one time. :rofl:

SiberianErik
12-21-2012, 19:35
Were they HAWT?

Yeah, the one today w/the .338Fed was 25, blonde, about 5'7 135 lbs and a Broker w/Scott Trade:supergrin:

SiberianErik
12-21-2012, 19:37
I noticed old peeps, (70ish) love the Judges. I have sold a dozen of these in 45LC/.410 to the old blue hair crowd.

DaneA
12-21-2012, 19:38
I noticed old peeps, (70ish) love the Judges. I have sold a dozen of these in 45LC/.410 to the old blue hair crowd.

The image of a scene from Police Academy comes to mind.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-21-2012, 21:05
Yes, I make $9.50 p/hr and 2% on guns, 3% on ammo and other stuff like eyes/ears, targets, cleaning kits, etc..

I have never been in "sales" so to speak but I love talking guns. I finished #3 on top sales for the pay period. :faint: I was shocked, I would have been #2 except one guy sold a Barrett and some pricey glass yesterday.

Cool. Does that commision add up to much of the wage? Doing the math in my head, it seems it might even double your wage. Not sure if it works out that way, I might have forgot to carry the 1 :}

Angry Fist
12-21-2012, 21:09
Lemme guess, it ain't the Bass Pro HQ in Springfield, MO....

certifiedfunds
12-21-2012, 21:22

If knees were backward, what would chairs look like?

Angry Fist
12-21-2012, 21:24
What if those kids wearing sheets on Halloween weren't actually ghosts, but mattresses? :supergrin:

robin303
12-21-2012, 21:26
Is every 3rd person an Ex Navy Seal, Green Beret, Sniper and or from Delta Co out of Bragg. :dunno:

Angry Fist
12-21-2012, 21:29
Is every 3rd person an Ex Navy Seal, Green Beret, Sniper and or from Delta Co out of Bragg. :dunno:
No, every other one is. We're outsourcing truck drivers and cooks.

Boot Stomper
12-21-2012, 21:36
Sounds like a fun job. I'm sure you will end up with a lot of great stories.

rolltide_pisco
12-21-2012, 23:22
I took a beating today myself. Now that my company (Dick's) pulled our mags and AR's off the shelf, of course I took the brunt of angry customers who waited last minute to buy one and waited til the LGS ran out of their supply, now they're pissed and wanted to pay our so-called high prices.

One lady got pissed at me over a Allen soft gun case. She wouldn't tell me what kind of gun she bought her own son for Christmas so I couldn't tell if the rifle would fit in it or not. I told her that if it didn't fit she could return it and buy something bigger. Oh my goodness if she didn't come out and say I wasn't trying to help her.

Then loading a 48 Stack-On Sentinel Gun safe the old married couple tried to tell us we had to stand it up on the trailer. They refused to believe we lay them down on their backside. The last two holiday seasons I've worked people were usually friendly but the a-holes just came out this year.

GunHo198
12-21-2012, 23:46
I've listened in on quite a few sales in the past. Sometimes the sales guy is full of crap, but I bite my tongue as its not my place to speak up during his attempt at the sale. Other times it's the customer who is a jack wagon and thinks he knows it all. So I bite my tongue even more. But a good salesman knows to sell the customer whatever he wants or he will risk loosing the sale all together. I did have one sales guy tell me he just didn't know. And I told him that was the best and honest answer I ever heard. At anytime I'm in that shop I try and buy from that guy because I know, that if he doesn't know, then he's not going to feed me a bunch of crap just to make a sale.

jpa
12-22-2012, 00:37

Damn dude...so you're number 3 and #2 sold a Barrett and glass? What the hell did #1 sell, 2 Barretts?

Tons of fudd bolt action, other than that, our tactile section is bare dry. Even the big stuff that has been sitting for a long time like the .338 Federal, AR-10,SCAR-H,Bushy ACR, etc..is long gone.

They're doing nothing but speculating on prices going through the roof. You should have sold them a Stevens deer rifle.

Yeah, the one today w/the .338Fed was 25, blonde, about 5'7 135 lbs and a Broker w/Scott Trade:supergrin:

Confirms my suspicion....day trading in firearms.

samurairabbi
12-22-2012, 01:05

Remember: ANYONE can be a jerk. YOU must strive to become a refined ethereal essence of perfection of a jerk!

goldenlight
12-22-2012, 01:28
This brings back memories. I did 5 yrs behind the counter at a Lumber Yard. I will never work with the public again.

Customer: (offended I would ask such a retarded question)You know, a regular window!
Customer:(Now furious and looking at me with utter contempt) You know, regular size!

The general public are mostly farking morons. Once you learn and accept that, you will have a little bit of an easier time.

But, you will still be depending on idiots, to make a living, and that truly sucks.

When you ask them a question that they SHOULD know the answer to, ('what size window do you need') but DON'T, they get pissed at the clerk, not at themselves for being an idiot.

Suddenly, for no real reason, they treat YOU like the idiot.

WmHBonney
12-22-2012, 04:12
The general public are mostly farking morons. Once you learn and accept that, you will have a little bit of an easier time.

But, you will still be depending on idiots, to make a living, and that truly sucks.

When you ask them a question that they SHOULD know the answer to, ('what size window do you need') but DON'T, they get pissed at the clerk, not at themselves for being an idiot.

Suddenly, for no real reason, they treat YOU like the idiot.

Truer words have never been written. Never underestimate how utterly stupid the general public is. It's actually pretty scary.

dango
12-22-2012, 04:23

:rofl: :rofl:

Ranger142
12-22-2012, 04:30
It gets even better when you ask them if they need a left or right hand door.

DaneA
12-22-2012, 04:52
Try explaining that dryers and ranges don't come with cords.

DaneA
12-22-2012, 04:53
I. The last two holiday seasons I've worked people were usually friendly but the a-holes just came out this year.

Nah they've always been like that, you've just been lucky.

BigChuck73
12-22-2012, 05:33
Are you an a-hole yet?

LOL! This...

Kingarthurhk
12-22-2012, 05:34
Ironically, working retail convinced me that LEO was the way to go. I worked retail from 16 on to pay for college. It was then that I realized that by-in-large people suck. Especially, around the holidays. I once had a guy threaten to beat me up and raise a fist because we ran out of egg nog. I was really, really hoping he would touch me and give me an excuse that day. I guess he was more bluster than cajones.

LEO/Dad
12-22-2012, 07:53
I have been in the gun business for 33 yrs., and have damn near been shot twice by customers who don't know how to handle a gun, and that is why I no longer have a retail gun shop. I still have some great return customers but it would be hard for them to shoot me over the internet. DO NOT HUNT ME UP THROUGH THE INTERNET. DO NOT GOOGLE OR MAP QUEST ME. We are not an open store front. I also sell on other web sites like Auction Arms and Gun Broker if you want to check my feedback. Contact us for more information on our line of firearms, including all types of firearm

http://summitgunbroker.com/index.html

This morning they are showing Ruger Mini Tactical 30's 7.62 for $799.00. Also Glock 3rd. Gen. G22's for $369.00.

DustyJacket
12-22-2012, 08:40
I like dealing with Mark. (He is not far from my house.)

He is a good guy.

pizza_pablo
12-22-2012, 19:19
Customer, "I need a window."
Clerk, "what size?"
Customer, "regular size"
Clerk, "here are all our windows. Point out which looks the most regular, to you and I'll load it up, for ya."
:supergrin:

DaneA
12-22-2012, 19:26
Customer, "I need a window."
Clerk, "what size?"
Customer, "regular size"
Clerk, "here are all our windows. Point out which looks the most regular, to you and I'll load it up, for ya."
:supergrin:

Difference between a salesman and a clerk is in the last line there. If it were a salesman it would go more like this:

Salesman: "Let's load all these up and you just bring back the ones that don't fit." :rofl::rofl:

stevelyn
12-22-2012, 19:35
How are you guys doing on reloading components?

RYT 2BER
12-23-2012, 07:20
It is my very first retail job of any kind, I am a professional in the medical field, so running the cash register and dealing w/all kinds of people for 10 hrs a shift was a real eye opener. I have def learned some interesting stuff working "the other side of the counter":supergrin:

You're a professional in the medical field and you're working for under $10/hr + commission..

Ummmm :dunno: exactly what type of "professional in the medical field" we're you?

Roger1079
12-23-2012, 07:33
So I just finished my first full two week pay period as your basic gun/hunting sales associate. :wavey: I work in what probly is the largest gun store in the south. We have around 140K sq ft (not all guns) w/approx 10,000 guns of all types under the roof. It is still enjoyable and I guess I started in the Perfect Storm, w/ Christmas, the Obama reelection and the possible ban :shocked:

I can answer some questions if you have anyDo you have a range at your store as well? This adds a whole new aspect of idiocy to the job you have to do. I am good friends with everyone at my local store, and the idiocy they see on a daily basis is mind boggling.

Fear Night
12-23-2012, 07:40
A few days ago at my LGS, I saw a guy take a look at a brand new AR. He wanted to get a feel for the trigger so he dry fired it. The kicker is, he dry fired it while pointing it right at the salesman's stomach. The salesman got a pretty wide-eyed look after that one.

The customer didn't purposefully aim it as the salesman, he was just ignorant of the basic rules of gun safety. I would have to always check for myself if a gun is loaded before I ever handed it to a customer. Be safe out there.

Spiffums
12-23-2012, 07:54

You all are so large you have a touchy feely section? :rofl:

Spiffums
12-23-2012, 07:55

Everyone loves 5 shot 45 Long Colt revos! :supergrin:

Cavalry Doc
12-23-2012, 08:04

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001044575/15Pic1_xlarge.jpeg

Chairs with the vibrating massage option would only be sold on "certain" internet sites.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/th_CavDoc-3-2.gif (http://s127.beta.photobucket.com/user/CavalryDoc/media/CavDoc-3-2.gif.html)

happyguy
12-23-2012, 08:06
I've listened in on quite a few sales in the past. Sometimes the sales guy is full of crap, but I bite my tongue as its not my place to speak up during his attempt at the sale. Other times it's the customer who is a jack wagon and thinks he knows it all. So I bite my tongue even more. But a good salesman knows to sell the customer whatever he wants or he will risk loosing the sale all together. I did have one sales guy tell me he just didn't know. And I told him that was the best and honest answer I ever heard. At anytime I'm in that shop I try and buy from that guy because I know, that if he doesn't know, then he's not going to feed me a bunch of crap just to make a sale.

I work in sales and I always try to find out as much as I can about what the customer needs and then try to find the best product for him/her.

If someone comes in and wants to buy an F350 I always ask if they plan on doing any towing or what kind of payloads they haul.

I they told me they tow a 5,000 pound trailer I would explain that they didn't need anywhere near that much truck, but in the end, if they are dead set on a Superduty, I would sell it to them.

It works in reverse as well and if they bring an F150 back because it won't do the job I will gladly take it in trade (at a small discount :rofl:) on a truck that is appropriate for them.

Building repeat business is dependent on both you and the customer walking away from the sale feeling good about the transaction and the customer getting a product that won't induce buyers remorse down the road.

Where I work there are salemen who rarely set foot on the lot unless they are trying to determine if we have a specific vehicle. They have an book of business full of customers who have been buying from them for 10+ years and have bought 6 - 7 cars from them over the years.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy :)

Cavalry Doc
12-23-2012, 08:17
A question for the OP.

Have you had an increase in middle aged people buying up non-semi rifles with pretty wood stocks and revolvers in the larger calibers?

That's been my advice to the couple of dozen people that have asked me what they should buy before the ban. I tell them if they have a ton of disposable cash, and are willing to pay 2 to 3 times what they would have a month ago, with no absolute guarantee that they will be able to keep them, go buy a nice AR in your caliber of choice, if you can find it.

I have a friend that has 165 AR mags, after talking, he's sitting on them. The price will go up once Biden makes his recommendations.

We live in very interesting times. I've been contemplating what is possibly coming. It makes me sad when I am on the lake in my canoe every Saturday night cleaning all of my semi-auto's and scary looking guns. It's very relaxing to be out on the lake at night.

AngryPanda
12-23-2012, 08:26
It can be a very eye opening experience. Oh, one thing I learned is that if you are showing knives, take them out of the counter and set them on the glass, don't hand them to the customer, then take a step back from the counter so that he has to put it down as well when he is done. They get excited and make you bleed otherwise.

AngryPanda
12-23-2012, 08:28
A question for the OP.

We live in very interesting times. I've been contemplating what is possibly coming. It makes me sad when I am on the lake in my canoe every Saturday night cleaning all of my semi-auto's and scary looking guns. It's very relaxing to be out on the lake at night.

Be careful, I hear the water is getting pretty choppy, wouldn't want to capsize.

Roger1079
12-23-2012, 08:39
Everyone loves 5 shot 45 Long Colt revos! :supergrin:I own 2 revolvers. One is a Taurus Titanium in .45LC (not the judge) with a 2" barrel and the other is a S&W 500 with a 4" barrel. THese 2 have satisfied my revolver craving. The Taurus is easy to carry, and the only reason i have the 500 is because it is literally a hand cannon. It normally only comes out at the range when I have someone irritating next to me. They normally move away from me quickly the first time it is fired. The rest just come over and ask what kind of shotgun I am shooting only to be very perplexed when they see a mammoth revolver. Either way, interesting reactions all around.

.264 magnum
12-23-2012, 09:09
A few days ago at my LGS, I saw a guy take a look at a brand new AR. He wanted to get a feel for the trigger so he dry fired it. The kicker is, he dry fired it while pointing it right at the salesman's stomach. The salesman got a pretty wide-eyed look after that one.

The customer didn't purposefully aim it as the salesman, he was just ignorant of the basic rules of gun safety. I would have to always check for myself if a gun is loaded before I ever handed it to a customer. Be safe out there.

Good grief!

At one of my LGSs everyone behind the counter, at least everyone I've spoken with, checks every gun they touch. If sales dude a grabs a gun from under the counter he checks it, if he hands the gun to sale dude B he will check it too. They also practice excellent muzzle control discipline. It's really quite refreshing.

samurairabbi
12-23-2012, 10:33
Be careful, I hear the water is getting pretty choppy, wouldn't want to capsize.

I have a sideline business running support groups for people who have lost all their firearms in unfortunate boating incidents. It just might become VERY lucrative in the future.

GunHo198
12-23-2012, 13:26
Today's tip. Went to the Gun Range today to make a quick purchase. But couldn't find anyone willing to take my money. Twice the persons in front of me were chatting about memberships. So I went into the handgun section where there are more people and registers. But they were busy talking to people, and unless I was wanting to buy a gun they weren't interested in my money. Instead they pointed me to the center register and yet again the guy in front of me was talking about a membership to the two people there. I tosses my merchandise on the counter, walked out and went to another gun store.

Sent them an angry email. Can't wait to see how they respond.

Hauptmann6
12-23-2012, 14:53
You're a professional in the medical field and you're working for under $10/hr + commission..

Ummmm :dunno: exactly what type of "professional in the medical field" we're you?

Depending on the location, EMT, CNA, med assistant etc.

Glock30Eric
12-23-2012, 15:16
If you happens to meet a deaf/hard-of-hearing customer, don't even try to talk them with your lips at first thing you meet him/her. You will need to grab a pen and a nice white sheet paper and use it to communicate with the customer. (Tab at his/her shoulder or wave in his/her sights' direction to get his/her attention.) If he/she tells you that he/she could understand you then go ahead communicate then with your lips.

Don't treat them like a retarded person. Adjust your communicate level with the customer as you ask them if they could understand you. If you don't think they understood you then use the paper to make sure if he/she understood you. The deaf/hard-of-hearing customer will appreciate that very much and you might get a nice reward from him/her.

Not all of deaf/hard-of-hearing are same. There are few deaf trash and very genius deaf. They are no different with other race/ethnics/cultures.

I usually give a good amount tip to someone that done to me as I have described in above.

Jake Starr
12-24-2012, 05:38
Are you an a-hole yet?

I have found that it usually takes one to make a person one.

To the op. Welcome and good luck.

Do you have a range at your store as well? This adds a whole new aspect of idiocy to the job you have to do. I am good friends with everyone at my local store, and the idiocy they see on a daily basis is mind boggling.

You are correct. Most of the real shooters, people who really know how to handle guns, will end up going to a private club or range. They can't stand what goes on at most public ranges. But be patient, everybody has to start somewhere.

kf4zra
12-24-2012, 06:37
Today's tip. Went to the Gun Range today to make a quick purchase. But couldn't find anyone willing to take my money. Twice the persons in front of me were chatting about memberships. So I went into the handgun section where there are more people and registers. But they were busy talking to people, and unless I was wanting to buy a gun they weren't interested in my money. Instead they pointed me to the center register and yet again the guy in front of me was talking about a membership to the two people there. I tosses my merchandise on the counter, walked out and went to another gun store.

Sent them an angry email. Can't wait to see how they respond.

You went to shoot straight didnt you? Thats SOP there.

HexHead
12-24-2012, 06:57
There outta be a law, everyone should have to work retail at least one Christmas season.

SiberianErik
12-24-2012, 11:41

I am doing this as I am taking time off from my position at the hospital, I am averaging a bit under $30.00 p/hr. w/sales and my hourly wage. I really enjoy the work and that money is not bad for what I am doing. I love playing w/all these guns that I have really only got to handle briefly at a store or gun show.

We had a STG 44 in stock awhile back and some really nice FAL's. At lunch we were comparing side by side a Tommy gun, STG 44 and a Sten..what do you do while eating lunch :cool:

SiberianErik
12-24-2012, 11:45
Depending on the location, EMT, CNA, med assistant etc.

lol , quite a bit further up the ladder than that...:cool:

SiberianErik
12-24-2012, 11:51
I always clear the gun before handing it to a customer, the guy I hand it to sometimes is like why do you always do that ??? duh!!! I clear it as I hand it off and them again as I take possession of it. I try to educate people best I can.

You never know..last night we had a guy pull his 1911 out of his IWB and try it in diff holsters , then as I told him to stop doing that, he pulled it again and compared it to some kimbers that I was showing to another customer, muzzle facing me of course. He was escorted out right away. He still was like what did I do wrong ??

blk69stang
12-24-2012, 12:56

I dealt with crap like this as an autoparts counter guy.

Customer: I need a universal joint for a chevy pickup.
Me: Ok, what kind?
Customer (irritated): a universal joint. Chevy pickup.
Me: Ok, they made severl different kind depending on the year, and where in the truck it's located. You know, rear drivershaft, front driveshaft, steering knuckle, etc.
Customer (angry): Quit f-ing with me! They're all the same, and I know that! Now go get me a universal joint for a chevy pickup, and stop giving me lip.
Me: OK, have it your way. (Clickety click on keyboard... go in back to get part. Return with teeny-tiny universal joint)
Customer: What the F$%& is that?
Me: It's a universal joint for a chevy pickup. Specifically, it's a steering ujoint for a 1978 chevy LUV pickup.
Customer (enraged): That's not what I meant!!!
Me: Well, I have no earthly idea what you want other than a "universal joint for a chevy pickup", and got you one of about a dozen different universal joints that fit a chevy pickup. Either you narrow it down for me, or you can go down the street to the competition.

My all-time favorite was a customer that my co-worker Jamie dealt with. Now, you have to understand that Jamie was one of these guys who looks like he smokes his lunch (and probably did). Now the deal with this one stemmed from the fact that many people are used to paying $40 for the old ford and chevy non-internally regulated alternators, but are unfamiliar with the high expense of the newer import cars' computer conotrolled internally-regulated alternators, which often cost as much as $200 or more.

Customer: I need an alternator for a 1995 honda civic.
Jamie: Okay... looks like we have a lifetime warranty alternator in stock for $149.95.
Customer: $149.95!?!? $149.95!?!?!?!!?!?!?!? Oh my gawd, that's outrageous!!! Your competitor only wants $30 for one!
Jamie (sarcastically): Wow, that's a good deal. How come you didn't buy that one?
Customer: Because that was the wrong one. It didn't fit.
Jamie: Well why didn't you say so? (clickety click) I have the wrong one right out back I can sell you for $19.95!
Customer: ?????

:rofl:

SiberianErik
12-24-2012, 13:10
twice I have had the pleasure of telling cops, one a deputy and the other a FHP, that I will hold onto their weapons until the 5 day waiting period is up. :cool: they were like wtf..

NOGIBJJ
12-24-2012, 13:22

Here's one to use at Home Depot:

Tell salesman "I need some 2/4s"....(or 2/6s etc)

If he replies "How long do you need 'em?"

Pause a while..... and say "A long time - I'm building a deck!".....(house, etc)

^

^

SiberianErik
12-24-2012, 15:02
I'll add the guys I work with age from early 20's (just out of the .mil) to old timers in their late 60's(some worked for S&W up north). All in all the shop really tests your knowledge before hiring you. You have to be a gun guy and be good at sales.

I had a guy come in last night, about 2 hrs before closing, our EBR racks are bare excpet for a few Dragunov knock offs and three very nice SA M1A's. One is a basic, one is a Loaded and the other is a Super Match. They ran from $2K to $3,100. My coworker was able to point out the diffs in each one as far as the stocks, barrel's etc..

The customer said something about having an M14 in his army days, with that he simply said, Erik thank you for your time and the memories you brought back. At that point I thanked him for coming in and please come back soon. He walked away for a few minutes and came back w/his son and a shopping cart of all the .308 we had left (two cases of bulk) :shocked: and a few hundred rounds of the Winchester high end match stuff, very $$$$. He then said I'll take all three please :wow::wow:.

So for spending about 45 minutes w/him my commission was a touch over $500. Oh and I talked him into a S&W M&P 40c on the way out the door, plus another 300 rounds of 40 , targets and a nice holster plus classes. So I got another $120 of commission on that part of the sale. I love my new P/T so far.

I also get any new gun for the wholesale cost, all ammo is 30% off and whatever clothes I want I get 40% off. I already bought a ton of the 5.11 khaki pants and their shirts. The shop also pushes us to take the additional training online for our vendors for additional discounts. I am certified so far in S&W,FN,CZ,and Glock as well as HK,Winchester and Liberty safes. We had the area rep from S&W MP line bring us a catered lunch while he showed us the upcoming products in the M&P line. The rep from Liberty Safes gave us dinner.

Beats dealing w/the RX companies like Pfizer ramble on about new Statin drugs for an hour.

here is what the training program looks like for Browning, again I have done the one for Glock, HK, CZ already etc..

http://www.browning.com/pk/

Kingarthurhk
12-24-2012, 15:50
A question for the OP.

Have you had an increase in middle aged people buying up non-semi rifles with pretty wood stocks and revolvers in the larger calibers?

That's been my advice to the couple of dozen people that have asked me what they should buy before the ban. I tell them if they have a ton of disposable cash, and are willing to pay 2 to 3 times what they would have a month ago, with no absolute guarantee that they will be able to keep them, go buy a nice AR in your caliber of choice, if you can find it.

I have a friend that has 165 AR mags, after talking, he's sitting on them. The price will go up once Biden makes his recommendations.

That is good advice. The last day at a gunshow, when all the people are clamoring around the "assault weapons," whatever they are, the bolt action dealers and revolver guys are more than willing to make a good deal.

Kingarthurhk
12-24-2012, 15:52
I own 2 revolvers. One is a Taurus Titanium in .45LC (not the judge) with a 2" barrel and the other is a S&W 500 with a 4" barrel. THese 2 have satisfied my revolver craving. The Taurus is easy to carry, and the only reason i have the 500 is because it is literally a hand cannon. It normally only comes out at the range when I have someone irritating next to me. They normally move away from me quickly the first time it is fired. The rest just come over and ask what kind of shotgun I am shooting only to be very perplexed when they see a mammoth revolver. Either way, interesting reactions all around.

A S&W 500 with a 4" barrel? Have you shot that bad boy already? Is it too late to send your hands and wrists a sympathy card?:supergrin:

M&P Shooter
12-24-2012, 16:00
Remember when a young kid comes in and ask to see a 9mm tell him "Son when I was in Vietnam we hit em in the chest with 45's because that's all you need to kill a man"

ignantmike
12-24-2012, 16:09
personally.....i hate salesmen.....if i have a question.....i'll find you.....if you don't have what i want...i can get it cheaper than having you order it.....good luck to ya.....

Roger1079
12-24-2012, 16:30
A S&W 500 with a 4" barrel? Have you shot that bad boy already? Is it too late to send your hands and wrists a sympathy card?:supergrin:

Most I have ever put through it in one range trip is 20 rounds. Both hands had a tremor for about an hour after. It is a fun toy though.

Glock30Eric
12-24-2012, 16:48
Remember when a young kid comes in and ask to see a 9mm tell him "Son when I was in Vietnam we hit em in the chest with 45's because that's all you need to kill a man"

Heh! Quote of the day!

DaneA
12-24-2012, 18:23
personally.....i hate salesmen.....if i have a question.....i'll find you.....if you don't have what i want...i can get it cheaper than having you order it.....good luck to ya.....

Don't worry we hate you too. Apparently you LOVE periods though. :upeyes:

BEER
12-24-2012, 19:27
Don't worry we hate you too. Apparently you LOVE periods though. :upeyes:

or he's having one.

certifiedfunds
12-24-2012, 20:54

Ha! If we were face to face I could talk $100 out of your pocket inside of 20 minutes.

GunHo198
12-24-2012, 23:34
Heres some good advice that I learned from a friend that worked retail for almost 20 years. Never talk down about a product, not even your competitor. The best way to up sell is to point out how much better your product is.

I was building an AR for a buddy on a budget. I went to my LG and wanted to get a commercial tele stock. But then the sales clerk tells me that they were crap and that the springs would break after 500 rounds. As I looked at all there guns on the wall with the excact same buttstock, he shows me the "better" mil spec stock. And when I asked about the buffer and tube he looks around and tells me there out.... I thought first off, all your guns you sell have the crappy buttstocks, and here your trying to sell me a mil spec stock and you don't even have the buffers, buffer springs, and buffer tubes???? I asked the guy; are you going to sell me the commercial stock or not. (A-hole)....