PA VA ccw question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PA VA ccw question

Zeebra724
12-21-2012, 20:50
I moved to PA from VA about a year ago. I have a VA resident ccw license that expires in 4 years. I recently got my PA resident ccw license that is good for 5 years.

I'm traveling to SC tomorrow and they only accept mt VA RESIDENT ccw license. My question is: Even though I have a valid VA resident ccw license, is it still seen as one since I'm not a resident of PA with a PA resident ccw license.

I'll probably just lock my G17 away in the car to be safe when I travel down to SC tomorrow...but I'd like to know the deal with my VA ccw license. I've looked on all kinds of www and can't find an answer...thanks--sorry if it's a stupid question!

Thanks!

DaneA
12-21-2012, 21:00
I would think not as you are not a resident of VA and therefore do not have a valid resident VA license. Even though it hasn't expired that doesn't mean it is valid.
Check out:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf
SC law clearly states that you must reside in a state they honor.

Of course I'm not an attorney nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night but this is my take on the situation.

xmanhockey7
12-21-2012, 21:00
They only recognize your license if it's from your home state. Since they do not appear to recognize PAs permit and you are a resident of PA then your VA permit means nothing. However I would suggest looking at the part regarding car carry in SC as it is legal so you could at least keep your gun loaded in your vehicle.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

Zeebra724
12-21-2012, 21:16
Sounds good...thanks guys! Should I even keep my VA ccw on me anymore? If nothing else, it can show LE that I have been approved by another state if anything should ever come up...

JuneyBooney
12-22-2012, 01:20
Sounds good...thanks guys! Should I even keep my VA ccw on me anymore? If nothing else, it can show LE that I have been approved by another state if anything should ever come up...

If you are carrying a "valid" Va driver's license your Va CHP is valid until it expires. Do you still have your Va license?

Zeebra724
12-22-2012, 07:22
If you are carrying a "valid" Va driver's license your Va CHP is valid until it expires. Do you still have your Va license?

Nope--had to get a PA drivers license and the VA dl had to be handed in...so I guess I have a souvenir now of my time in VA, cause I don't think it can just automatically switch over from a resident ccw license to an out-of-state VA ccw license...

SouthernBoyVA
12-22-2012, 11:59
Virginia doesn't issue any CCW permits. They are CHP's (Concealed Handgun Permit). There's quite a difference so this is not nitpicking.

RPVG
12-22-2012, 12:02
Virginia doesn't issue any CCW permits. They are CHP's (Concealed Handgun Permit). There's quite a difference so this is not nitpicking.
Interesting. What is the difference?

SouthernBoyVA
12-22-2012, 18:46
Interesting. What is the difference?

CCW means Carry a Concealed Weapon whereas CHP means Concealed Handgun Permit. Our CHP specifically addresses the carrying of a handgun (concealed) whereas a CCW speaks to the term "weapon".

However, in general parlance, CCW is used as a generic term to cover a wide variety of carry permit/license types. So in common practice, CCW is generic whereas CHP is specific. But there is a real difference between the two terms.

DaneA
12-22-2012, 19:36
CCW means Carry a Concealed Weapon whereas CHP means Concealed Handgun Permit. Our CHP specifically addresses the carrying of a handgun (concealed) whereas a CCW speaks to the term "weapon".

However, in general parlance, CCW is used as a generic term to cover a wide variety of carry permit/license types. So in common practice, CCW is generic whereas CHP is specific. But there is a real difference between the two terms.

That's interesting because Ohio issues a CCW but it only covers firearms (http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf).
So does Indiana (http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf)

The only term I have seen really make a difference is a HCP (Handgun Carry Permit) vs CCW/CHP. The difference is the HCP allows carry of a handgun either concealed or open whereas a CCW/CHP indicates only concealed carry. For example TN requires a permit to carry either way while Ohio has constitutional OC but permit required CC.

Reswob
12-22-2012, 20:19

I have a PTCACH (permit to carry a concealed handgun) :tongueout:

xmanhockey7
12-22-2012, 20:28
That's interesting because Ohio issues a CCW but it only covers firearms (http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf).

The only term I have seen really make a difference is a HCP (Handgun Carry Permit) vs CCW/CHP. The difference is the HCP allows carry of a handgun either concealed or open whereas a CCW/CHP indicates only concealed carry. For example TN requires a permit to carry either way while Ohio has constitutional OC but permit required CC.

Ohio issues a CHL and Indiana issues a "license to carry a handgun"

SouthernBoyVA
12-22-2012, 20:35

In Virginia the normal, read that as default or standard, mode of carry, is openly visible, whereas one must request permission from our employees to carry concealed. Since open carry is not addressed, it is therefore the norm and legal mode of carry. No permit required.

Virginia's concealed carry permit only addresses handguns.

DaneA
12-22-2012, 20:40
Ohio issues a CHL and Indiana issues a "license to carry a handgun"

I guess I should have read a little further. Either way I think we are splitting hairs on the terminology.

JuneyBooney
12-23-2012, 02:08
Nope--had to get a PA drivers license and the VA dl had to be handed in...so I guess I have a souvenir now of my time in VA, cause I don't think it can just automatically switch over from a resident ccw license to an out-of-state VA ccw license...

Too bad you are not gov or other exempt person who could have kept the va permit. That sucks.

Reswob
12-23-2012, 09:20

Call VA State Police and ask. I know someone who moved out of VA, and they told him his VA permit was still valid until it expired.

IndyGunFreak
12-23-2012, 11:29
Call VA State Police and ask. I know someone who moved out of VA, and they told him his VA permit was still valid until it expired.

The permit probably just switches from being a resident to a non-resident permit.

However, the real issue is if he's carrying in SC on his VA "Resident" permit it will very likely be treated as a Non-Res permit because his ID has a PA address.

To me, this seems pretty black and white.. don't carry there.

IGF

Reswob
12-23-2012, 13:10
The permit probably just switches from being a resident to a non-resident permit.

However, the real issue is if he's carrying in SC on his VA "Resident" permit it will very likely be treated as a Non-Res permit because his ID has a PA address.

To me, this seems pretty black and white.. don't carry there.

IGF

True. Does SC issue non res permits? That would be the way to go if it's a big enough concern.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

tacticalG23
12-23-2012, 14:27
Just to add to the list, PA issues Liscense To Carry Firearms, LTCF.

SCmasterblaster
12-23-2012, 14:38
Vermont does NOT issue CCW permits, for anyone over 21 and a non-convicted felon (or domestic violence) can CCW.

xmanhockey7
12-23-2012, 16:15
Vermont does NOT issue CCW permits, for anyone over 21 and a non-convicted felon (or domestic violence) can CCW.

Actually per state law anyone 16 or older can without parents permission. Since federal law requires someone to be 18 to be in possession of a handgun thought, the fully legal age is 18.

SCmasterblaster
12-23-2012, 16:38
Actually per state law anyone 16 or older can without parents permission. Since federal law requires someone to be 18 to be in possession of a handgun thought, the fully legal age is 18.

Are you citing Vermont law?

xmanhockey7
12-23-2012, 17:59
Are you citing Vermont law?

I am not a lawyer, nor an expert in Vermont state law, however it is my understanding that Vermont law does allow someone 16 or older to carry a handgun openly or concealed. No permit necessary.

SCmasterblaster
12-23-2012, 18:12
I am not a lawyer, nor an expert in Vermont state law, however it is my understanding that Vermont law does allow someone 16 or older to carry a handgun openly or concealed. No permit necessary.

Then you'd think that VT would have all sorts of school shootings, but we don't. It is a very peaceful here in the 14th state.

cowboy1964
12-23-2012, 18:53
Vermont is such an anomaly when it comes to firearms. Considering how liberal they are politically makes it all that more surprising. I understand there are historical reasons for CCW though, but I can't remember the details..

SCmasterblaster
12-23-2012, 20:16
Vermont is such an anomaly when it comes to firearms. Considering how liberal they are politically makes it all that more surprising. I understand there are historical reasons for CCW though, but I can't remember the details..

I suppose that the legislature is afraid of the Green Mountain Boys.:cool: