Can a carbine length be turned into a mid length [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can a carbine length be turned into a mid length

cruisermedic
12-21-2012, 23:17
I accidentally ordered a carbine length upper. I meant to order a mid length upper. I did get a 16" barrel which is what I wanted. It appears the carbine length does have a milled spot for the front sight and gas block further down. Can I just move the gas block and sight and get a longer gas tube and be gtg? I planned on tossing the handgaurd anyway and doing a free float. I ordered this from PSA and I don't expect to see it for a month at least.

Steve

RWBlue
12-21-2012, 23:30
In theory for a range toy, yes.

In reality for a fighting rile, no.

Or so I have been told.

GunHo198
12-21-2012, 23:34
Hmmm. Is there a gas port hole further down for the gas block to center on? I've never seen a barrel milled for both.

mvician
12-22-2012, 00:44
Just call/email/send smoke signals and get a hold of them and change your order.

No you just can not get another gasblock and tube and install them farther down the barrel without having another hole in the correct spot and size to make the rifle operate. Would also need to plug the original hole.

Contact them and change your order.

cruisermedic
12-22-2012, 03:07
I guess I kind of forgot about that small detail of the hole for the gads block. I was hopeful since in the pic the barrel appears to have a milled spot that looks like its in the same spot as my middy.

Contacting PSA is a joke. And I'll just get it and keep it rather than pay a 20% fee.

Matthew Courtney
12-22-2012, 04:13
When you rebarrel $25,000 rounds from now, make the change.

jb1911
12-22-2012, 06:12
When you rebarrel $25,000 rounds from now, make the change.

Good answer!

cruisermedic
12-22-2012, 06:34
I'll cut the front sight down and put a long free floaat on it. i know it sounds petty but i dont like the look of the short gaurd and a long barrel sticking way out there. this AR will have a scope on it anyway. I'll just use some type of back up sight.

03Cobra
12-22-2012, 07:29
just get a low profile gas block that sits under the free float and you should be good

smokin762
12-22-2012, 07:39
I'll cut the front sight down and put a long free floaat on it. i know it sounds petty but i dont like the look of the short gaurd and a long barrel sticking way out there. this AR will have a scope on it anyway. I'll just use some type of back up sight.

All my carbine length ARís are midlength also. I agree with you, I donít like the looks of the barrel sticking out so far from the handguards. The midlength looks more like a rifle that has been shrunk down. That is much more appealing to me.

If you are going to put a free float handguard on it, maybe you should look for one that has a rail that is on the same plane as the receiver rail. That way you can get a set of same plane sights for back sights. Just an option.

fuzzy03cls
12-22-2012, 07:52
Nothing wrong with the carbine...Shoot it & like it. You can buy another midlength upper down the road.

Armchair Commando
12-22-2012, 20:24
I accidentally ordered a carbine length upper. I meant to order a mid length upper. I did get a 16" barrel which is what I wanted. It appears the carbine length does have a milled spot for the front sight and gas block further down. Can I just move the gas block and sight and get a longer gas tube and be gtg? I planned on tossing the handgaurd anyway and doing a free float. I ordered this from PSA and I don't expect to see it for a month at least.

Steve
keep what you got for now. Trust me.