Choose Life license plates [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Choose Life license plates

Random
12-22-2012, 01:02
I actually agree with this one:

http://www.wwltv.com/news/North-Carolina-Choose-Life-license-plate-ruled-unconstitutional-183063501.html

WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina(AP) - A federal judge has ruled a North Carolina plan to offer license plates supporting the pro-life movement unconstitutional, saying the state cannot issue the plates without offering a similar product for the opposing viewpoint.

A spokeswoman for the North Carolina Attorney General's Office told The Associated Press Monday the state hasn't decided whether to appeal the decision from U.S. District Court Judge James Fox. His order from Friday follows the one he issued more than a year that temporarily blocked North Carolina from offering the plates.

Fox said in his judgement that the state's plan violates the First Amendment. The proposed license plate featured two children with the words "Choose Life" printed above them.

"The State's offering of a Choose Life license plate in the absence of a pro-choice plate constitutes viewpoint discrimination in violation of the First Amendment," he said according to The Associated Press.

A spokesman for The ACLU of North Carolina Legal Foundation, which sued over the plates in September 2011, hailed Fox's ruling.

"This is a great victory for the free speech rights of all North Carolinians, regardless of their point of view on reproductive freedom," said Chris Brook, legal director of the ACLU-NCLF.

The North Carolina General Assembly passed House Bill 289, which authorized the creation of the pro-life plate, during the 2011 legislative session.

However, the legislature rejected six separate amendments that would have authorized a license plate supporting the pro-choice movement. The proposed plates featured phrases such as "Trust Women. Respect Choice," or simply "Respect Choice".

Republican Rep. Mitch Gillespie of McDowell County sponsored the bill and tells The Associated Press he'll encourage the attorney general to appeal the decision.

Critias
12-22-2012, 01:08
This one boils down to "good for the goose, good for the gander," I think.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-22-2012, 01:18
Personalizing and customizing an item from the DMV. Big government is fully embraced.

Cochese
12-22-2012, 01:35
Personalizing and customizing an item from the DMV. Big government is fully embraced.

Interesting take. I have support the troops license plates, the money for which goes to legitimate vet charities.

As an added bonus my license plate is primarily red (and white and blue) and matches my car instead of our crappy green and white normal plates.

But congrats on your typical anti everything negativity. :thumbsup:

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-22-2012, 02:03
As an added bonus my license plate is primarily red (and white and blue) and matches my car instead of our crappy green and white normal plates.

Gee, that's really swell.

Critias
12-22-2012, 02:23
What, like this is the first time you've ever heard about a custom plate?

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-22-2012, 02:28
What, like this is the first time you've ever heard about a custom plate?

Narcissistic types have supported big government for years.

Critias
12-22-2012, 02:46
Narcissistic types have supported big government for years.
If you think everyone who gets any sort of customized license plate is narcissistic (particularly the ones that are done for political reasons), I think that says more about you than it does them.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-22-2012, 02:56
If you think everyone who gets any sort of customized license plate is narcissistic (particularly the ones that are done for political reasons), I think that says more about you than it does them.

It's good to know that the depth of political participation in this country is slapping a bumper sticker on your car.

wprebeck
12-22-2012, 03:35
It's also good to know that Eyore still lives among us. Get over yourself already.

jboy
12-22-2012, 03:36
So when are they going to offer the "choose death" plates?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

wprebeck
12-22-2012, 03:38
Forgot to add - because you know everything about every member of GT. Hell, I have a specialty tag, and likely participate more directly in the process than you. I'll see if your all-knowing self can even recall what that participation might be, since I've posted regularly about it. No looking it up, though...that's cheating.

And the only stickers on my vehicle are hunting related, save one that is a charity for public safety families.

*ASH*
12-22-2012, 03:39
im in NC trust me ive seen some sick and weird personalized plates and wonder how the hell someone at dmv said nothing,

not to mention to personalize a plate is expensive as hell here .

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-22-2012, 04:25
I'll see if your all-knowing self can even recall what that participation might be, since I've posted regularly about it. No looking it up, though...that's cheating.

Aren't you that guy who makes the most posts about himself and thinks that everybody reads them?

wprebeck
12-22-2012, 08:35
Yeah, that's what I thought. Hurl insults at folks, pretend you know everything about them, try to appear superior and that you are above the masses due to your political views...then, when called on it, resort to more insults.

As others have noted, "liberal" and "libertarian" share a bit more than similar spellings.

ray9898
12-22-2012, 08:41
Lol....this place never disappoints. Some can make accusations about everything based on nothing.

Cali-Glock
12-22-2012, 10:01
I actually agree with this one:

http://www.wwltv.com/news/North-Carolina-Choose-Life-license-plate-ruled-unconstitutional-183063501.html

WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina(AP) - A federal judge has ruled a North Carolina plan to offer license plates supporting the pro-life movement unconstitutional, saying the state cannot issue the plates without offering a similar product for the opposing viewpoint.

A spokeswoman for the North Carolina Attorney General's Office told The Associated Press Monday the state hasn't decided whether to appeal the decision from U.S. District Court Judge James Fox. His order from Friday follows the one he issued more than a year that temporarily blocked North Carolina from offering the plates.

Fox said in his judgement that the state's plan violates the First Amendment. The proposed license plate featured two children with the words "Choose Life" printed above them.

"The State's offering of a Choose Life license plate in the absence of a pro-choice plate constitutes viewpoint discrimination in violation of the First Amendment," he said according to The Associated Press.

A spokesman for The ACLU of North Carolina Legal Foundation, which sued over the plates in September 2011, hailed Fox's ruling.

"This is a great victory for the free speech rights of all North Carolinians, regardless of their point of view on reproductive freedom," said Chris Brook, legal director of the ACLU-NCLF.

The North Carolina General Assembly passed House Bill 289, which authorized the creation of the pro-life plate, during the 2011 legislative session.

However, the legislature rejected six separate amendments that would have authorized a license plate supporting the pro-choice movement. The proposed plates featured phrases such as "Trust Women. Respect Choice," or simply "Respect Choice".

Republican Rep. Mitch Gillespie of McDowell County sponsored the bill and tells The Associated Press he'll encourage the attorney general to appeal the decision.

And why pray tell do you think this is a good thing?

Everything about this ruling, their twisted upside down - reversing the constitution, anti-civil liberties action is wrong and hypocritical.

Dragoon44
12-22-2012, 10:18
The same people that think this is a "good idea" would be upset if the state was willing to issue "Don't be a victim, defend yourself" plates with a pic of a gun and got blocked by the American communist lawyers union because the state didn't offer a "just be a sheep and die" plate as well.

Dragoon44
12-22-2012, 10:28
There is something wrong when it's wrong for the state to encourage respect for human life and can't unless they also promote "Kill on a whim" as well.

Cochese
12-22-2012, 10:50
No shortage of self righteous dooshbaggery here.

:rofl:

Random
12-22-2012, 11:39
And why pray tell do you think this is a good thing?

Everything about this ruling, their twisted upside down - reversing the constitution, anti-civil liberties action is wrong and hypocritical.

That's where I think you're wrong. While I do think that someone was being hypocritical we disagree on which side it was. Did you read near the bottom of the article where they made 6 proposals for representing the other half of the common, but inappropriately named, pro-life/pro-choice stance? All 6 proposals for a pro-choice plate were shot down and dismissed. I believe that the constitution is only being well represented when BOTH sides are able to make their statements. I can understand if you think that ONLY the pro-life people should be allowed to have their message put on a license plate, but I can't agree with you.

The first line, "A federal judge said a state cannot issue the plates without offering a similar product for the opposing viewpoint" doesn't seem upside down or hypocritical. To me it seems like just the opposite.

Random
12-22-2012, 11:43
The same people that think this is a "good idea" would be upset if the state was willing to issue "Don't be a victim, defend yourself" plates with a pic of a gun and got blocked by the American communist lawyers union because the state didn't offer a "just be a sheep and die" plate as well.

You've got me right. I am all for "Don't be a victim, defend yourself" plates. And yes, if someone wanted "I respect your life too much to fight back" I believe they should be able to have that too. I'm not sure why you would think they shouldn't be able to get their message out also, but okay.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-22-2012, 11:44
Yeah, that's what I thought. Hurl insults at folks, pretend you know everything about them,

Insults? I know nothing about you, and posted my comments before your comments. The fact that you think I somehow know all about you proves my point, I guess.

JMS
12-22-2012, 11:46
So when are they going to offer the "choose death" plates?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

How many kids have you adopted?

Dragoon44
12-22-2012, 11:56
You've got me right. I am all for "Don't be a victim, defend yourself" plates. And yes, if someone wanted "I respect your life too much to fight back" I believe they should be able to have that too. I'm not sure why you would think they shouldn't be able to get their message out also, but okay.

We aren't talking about what some individual wants on their plates. there are vanity plates for that.

we are talking about what the state has an interest in promoting by issuing as plates. I see no reason for the state to promote "Just be a victim"

Dragoon44
12-22-2012, 11:58
How many kids have you adopted?

Do you ask pro choice folks, "So how many abortions have you had?

or pro self defense people, "So how many times have you defended yourself?"

last time I checked aborted fetuses were not being put up for adoption. is it different where you are?

dango
12-22-2012, 12:04
I do kinda like the fish with feet icon .............:dunno:

JMS
12-22-2012, 12:06
Duplicate

JMS
12-22-2012, 12:09
Do you ask pro choice folks, "So how many abortions have you had?

or pro self defense people, "So how many times have you defended yourself?"

last time I checked aborted fetuses were not being put up for adoption. is it different where you are?

I don't believe in taking people's choices/freedom away, as a gun owner i'm sure you understand no? What next women can't vote? Let's see how pro government involvement you are when AWB 2013 happens.

Plenty of pro-life babies are put up for adoption, so kind of the 'parents' no?

John Rambo
12-22-2012, 12:12
They have 'em down here. I like them. It makes it easier to pick out the idiots and self-righteous jerkoffs.

"Whats this? Choose life plate boldly displaying a completely random and controversial topic for the whole world to see for no damn reason? Yeah, that persons definitely not going to be contributing anything useful to my day. Wasted time saved!"

Dragoon44
12-22-2012, 12:26
I don't believe in taking people's choices/freedom away

huh? could you repeat that? or maybe just "clarify" it. something like,

I don't believe in taking peoples Choice\rights away, unless they are the most defenseless in our society and can't make the choice themselves, then I support denying even the most basic of human rights, LIFE.

What next women can't vote?

So if I think you should not be able to end another human life merely on a personal whim I must support taking away people rights?

Let's see how pro government involvement you are when AWB 2013 happens.

Already lived thru one AWB the world didn't end.

And as far as who is supporting the govt. appears to me that YOU are the one that supports the govt. deciding whose life is worth protecting and whose isn't. no slippery slope there huh?

HollowHead
12-22-2012, 12:31
I agree with the court ruling as this is not an abortion issue. It's akin to a state offering a "Vote Liberal" plate without offering an equivalent "Vote Conservative" version. HH

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-22-2012, 13:03
Yeah, that persons definitely not going to be contributing anything useful to my day.

You got it right. The person is not contributing anything to anybody. I wonder how much money is wasted on judges, state attorneys, administrators, etc. in these court cases. You also have plenty of government knuckleheads sitting around for days on end, deciding each and every word, phrase, term, etc. that can go on a plate.

That's okay, because it's all worth it for our facebook generation to express themselves. Their personal expression also justifies the public-private partnerships for their favorite charities and causes.

First, we have the lottery, a jobs program for minorities. Now we have the plate industry, a program for the me generation.

Random
12-22-2012, 13:36
I agree with the court ruling as this is not an abortion issue. It's akin to a state offering a "Vote Liberal" plate without offering an equivalent "Vote Conservative" version. HH

Man, I wish I had said it that way. Would've saved me alot of typing.

Kevin108
12-22-2012, 13:37

If you have any argument, it should be with the existence of license plates - not with those who have used mandatory plating to continue to spread their message.

HollowHead
12-22-2012, 13:52

Those Purple Heart and Prisoner Of War tags piss me off, too. :upeyes: HH

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-22-2012, 17:02
If you have any argument, it should be with the existence of license plates - not with those who have used mandatory plating to continue to spread their message.

No, we certainly would not want to single out anyone contributing to the problem.

JMarch
12-22-2012, 17:05
where's my Choose Death plate?

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-22-2012, 17:05

Right, because there's no other way a group could possibly spread their message.

NeverMore1701
12-22-2012, 17:06
No shortage of self righteous dooshbaggery here.

:rofl:

Now that I'm here, we have a bountiful surplus!

Also, IBTL!

NeverMore1701
12-22-2012, 17:07
Right, because there's no other way a group could possibly spread their message.

Does someone's license plate directly affect you in any way?

Hamilton Burger
12-22-2012, 17:11
Try getting one of these?

http://i46.tinypic.com/348shz9.jpghttp://i46.tinypic.com/33z4npv.jpghttp://i47.tinypic.com/34rvxg6.jpg

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-22-2012, 18:33
Does someone's license plate directly affect you in any way?

No, not at all. I love big government waste and B.S.

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/local_news/joco-dmv-faces-million-dollar-gap-from-upgrade-needs-state-approval-to-fix-it
"The DMV typically runs a$500,000 deficit, but now that budget gap is looking more like $1 million."

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/05/29/dmv-apologizes-for-misrepresenting-9-11-license-plate-program/
"DMV apologizes for misrepresenting 9-11 License PlateProgram"

http://www.nysenate.gov/press-release/democrats-state-budget-increase-dmv-fees-starting-today
"Additionally, starting in April 2010,New Yorkers obtaining or renewing their vehicle registration will
be required to purchase brand new license plates, whether they need them or notfor $25- a $10 increase. "

Bren
12-22-2012, 19:44
I don't think states should use license plates for advertising or political depate - I wouldn't support pro-life or pro-choice license plates. I'd be tempted to support pro-gun plates, but it would be better iof there weere no pro or anti anything plates. I think a license plate should look like it did many years ago - a soldi background and numbers and letter. I can see some special status, like handicapped plates - maybe even recognition plates, like we have here, for some things done in public service, like POW, medal of Honor, Silver Star or Purple Heart. But not as a space to show my opinion on a contested social/political issue.

Bren
12-22-2012, 19:45

Wish I thought you were being sarcastic.