Jack Reacher movie - thumbs up by me [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Jack Reacher movie - thumbs up by me

fnfalman
12-22-2012, 09:22
I never read any of Lee Child's novels, so out of curiosity about the upcoming movie, I went and got "One Shot". I don't think that I care for the prose of Mr. Child. The book failed to captivate and entertained me.

So, I went to the movie with dread but it turned out to be an entertaining action flick. Didn't quite have an impact like Collateral Damage or as high spirited as Knight and Day, but definitely entertaining. If they were to make a sequel, I'll watch it. However, I won't read another boring ass Jack Reacher novel.

okie
12-22-2012, 09:39
Was the whole movie Cruise tryin to get into some woman's pants:headscratch::supergrin:

TSAX
12-22-2012, 09:46
Thanks for the feedback, I was interested in seeing it when watching the previews but sometimes previews make the movie look better than it is. This seems like the a good movie to see over the holidays.

:50cal:

Ftttu
12-22-2012, 17:56
Was the whole movie Cruise tryin to get into some woman's pants:headscratch::supergrin:

Actually, it wasn't. He pretty much didn't have anything to do with women other than turn one on. Also, I never read any of the books so I don't have a vantage point of how Reacher supposed to be. To me, I believe there should have been way more character development. He pretty much pops up on the scene and goes from there with just a quick background by other characters.

I rate it about a strong 5 out of 10.

Spiffums
12-22-2012, 18:30

No you know he runs away from his Gay thoughts in all his films.......or at least that's what they taught me on Family Guy as the reason for his running in all his movies. :rofl:

RetDet
12-22-2012, 18:34
Somehow, a shrimp like Cruise just doesn't fit the role of Jack Reacher, who is 6-5. I just don't see Cruise as much more than a smart *****.

*ASH*
12-22-2012, 18:39
Jack Reacher is what tommy has to do to get atleast 5"5 :rofl:
has to reach for it .

I DISLIKE him so bad , so no i dont support TOMMY . last movie of his i watched was top gun .

wait... i did watch Collateral , it was pretty good . that was the last one

mossytxn
12-22-2012, 18:43
I read the books for the gun stupidity. He makes gun mistakes in all. Safeties clicking on glocks. Pistols won't fire chambered rounds since the mags are loaded for ten years, etc..

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

wrenrj1
12-22-2012, 18:45
When is he going to join " The Expendables" franchise? Is there a height requirement? Just heard Jackie Chan signed up for number 3.

Averageman
12-22-2012, 19:26
I saw the movie last night and thought it was pretty entertaining.
A good "Who done it" with the shooter factor built in, if you've ever shot competatively or been in combat some of it will make great sense. Minor entertainment factor stuff thrown in that if you have ever been in a tight spot is more than a bit over the top, but it is Hollywood.
I give it a 2.8 out of 5.

nmstew
12-24-2012, 22:24
I liked it.

It felt like a teenage boy's daydream at times, but over all I give it a solid "B". Entertaining. I like how Cruise showed the cerebral yet very macho side of the character. Fighting was good, car chases good. Intrigue and technical info on guns was good. A little predictable at times, but I was entertained.

Ruggles
12-24-2012, 23:45
I am not the biggest T.C. fan but if he is gay he must be dedicated to being so. Guy has hooked up with some hotties over the years, he was married to Nicole Kidman for goodness sake. If you can lay with some of those hotties and still prefer men then "the gay is strong in that one" as Yoda would say.

LASTRESORT20
12-24-2012, 23:58
Thanks for the post....been thinking about seeing the movie...but I heard they *neutered some of the scenes that were to "violent? ???

Fred Hansen
12-25-2012, 00:17
I liked it a lot. Rosamund Pike is very easy on the eyes. Love Brit chicks...

Ruggles
12-25-2012, 00:20
I liked a lot. Rosamund Pike is very easy on the eyes. Love Brit chicks...

Have not seen it yet but I think she was a Bond girl right? If so ole 007 is gonna kick the crap out of Maverick for taking his woman!

Fred Hansen
12-25-2012, 00:27
Have not seen it yet but I think she was a Bond girl right? If so ole 007 is gonna kick the crap out of Maverick for taking his woman!

Yep. Miranda Frost in Die Another Day.

goldenlight
12-25-2012, 03:19

...but the waist was too small for Tom Cruise. Ba-dum.

Gay, Scientologist 'action hero'?? I don't think so.

F14Scott
12-25-2012, 21:22
Spoilers! Highlight to read the white text.

I didn't like or agree with:

Reacher took away a BG's .45 and, instead of keeping it in preparation for what is obviously an escalating overall situation, drops is on the floor and leaves it behind.

Reacher and Duvall's characters winked and nodded at each other about all of Duvall's "nut job" customers at his gun range, as if only prior military snipers had any business shooting and anyone else was a wanna-be.

I also found a little ridiculous Reacher's decision to not shoot the main BG in the climatic battle and, instead, throws down his rifle to go hand-to-hand. It went against his character's overall efficient nature. He still had the girl to save.

Otherwise, it was pretty good, despite Cruise being all wrong, physically.

sum-dum-guy
12-25-2012, 21:49
I am planning to see it. I like the Reacher novels, but movies have almost nothing to do with the books now.

I read the Ludlum Bourne books. I enjoyed the movies. They had pretty much nothing to do with the original books.

I assume the Reacher book:movie relationship will be similar.

janice6
12-25-2012, 22:10

Sounds like my life......Quite unsuccessful I might add.:rofl:

Krigloch
01-01-2013, 11:24
really enjoyed the movie
My dad has read all the books and he thought it did a very good job of portraying the character and story. (other than the size, Lee Child actually wanted Cruise to play Reacher)
Cruise was a mean bastard. Loved it!

PaulMason
01-01-2013, 11:52
Spoilers! Highlight to read the white text.

I didn't like or agree with:

Otherwise, it was pretty good, despite Cruise being all wrong, physically.

And let's not forget ...

Gunny only brings one gun and gives Tom C. a knife - ridiculous.

Jack_Pine
01-01-2013, 11:55
Have read most of the books. Was unsure about Cruise in the roll but the wife and I really liked it (and she can't stand TC)

rppnj
01-01-2013, 12:42
I've read all of the 'Jack Reacher' novels on my Kindle (18 so far?). They are excellent! Looking forwrd to seeing the movie.

WIMPY
01-01-2013, 12:53
Saw it last night with the wife. We have both read a lot of the Reacher book and we both liked it. To me the size difference between the book Reacher and the Cruse Reacher was not a factor. My wife said that Cruse was too un-marked to have been in all the fights Reacher has been it.

shadow_dog
01-01-2013, 14:55
Have a couple of the books, haven't read them yet. Wife and I saw the movie, we both liked it.

md2lgyk
01-01-2013, 15:31
I've read all the Reacher novels. No way that quasi-gay-metrosexual Cruise fits the part. I don't intend to waste any money on the movie.

wizzi01
01-01-2013, 15:41
I've read all the Reacher novels. No way that quasi-gay-metrosexual Cruise fits the part. I don't intend to waste any money on the movie.

So don't post about it then.

Fastbear
01-01-2013, 15:45
Big movie actor issue would have been simplified by having the Rock play Jack Reacher.

pesticidal
01-01-2013, 16:14

So don't post about it then.

Yeah, how dare you express your opinion here!

:rofl:

mixflip
01-01-2013, 16:32
Im glad this movie is getting a thumbs up on a gun forum.

I have no preconceptions since I have no idea who Jack Reacher is and didnt know it was a book?

On top of that I liked Tom Cruise in Collateral where he played a bad ass bad guy with very good gun handling skills. The alley scene is epic and was worth the price of admission for me.

I am not a huge TC fan but I dont hate on him either. I dont think he is gay and if he is... there has to be a dude out there somewhere anxious to get a million dollar paycheck to tell his gay Tom Cruise story. But there has never been one so I will just call it like I see it.

He is short, makes millions in action films, handles guns better than pretty much any other action star, marries hot chicks, is a good father. Oh yeah and he has weird religious beliefs. Many religious folks are weird to me anyway lol. Nothing new there.

I wouldnt mind having that life. I think there are just alot of haters in the world lol.

wizzi01
01-01-2013, 16:57
Yeah, how dare you express your opinion here!

:rofl:

why express an bigoted opinion? This site has been going downhill because of opinions like that.

sum-dum-guy
01-01-2013, 19:17
Just saw it. I liked it a lot. Solid action movie.

I agree with prior comments that the climactic throwdown at the end was out of character. Would have been better if he had even said something like how he promised to beat him to death or the classic ran out of ammo or something.

The carbine even had the offset red dot, though nobody was using it properly for that, but not a big deal.

Other than that, was very solid.

pesticidal
01-01-2013, 19:34
why express an bigoted opinion? This site has been going downhill because of opinions like that.

And then there's your opinion.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

pesticidal
01-01-2013, 19:36
Big movie actor issue would have been simplified by having the Rock play Jack Reacher.

In his younger days, Ron Perlman would have been a great choice.

wizzi01
01-01-2013, 19:57
And then there's your opinion.

See how my opinion does not contain the word gay?

pesticidal
01-01-2013, 20:11
See how my opinion does not contain the word gay?

I'm so very proud of you.

glocktecher
01-01-2013, 22:04
This movie is the type of elitist hollywood hypocritical crap that should be rated NC-17.

The beginning shows a 6 year old girl in the scope of a high powered rifle. It is encouraging the mass murder of innocent civilians.

Instead of punishing honest gun owners, why doesn't Congress demand that hollywood accept some responsibility?

Too much in $ contributions is why.

Good for the goose......